The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Thanks for your suggestion re the lights.  Having got them all down, I've found that only the first one is really affected and I should be able to cut and terminate the damaged wire and then rewire across from the second light in the circuit. Thankfully the joists run in right direction so all should be well.

ER's to the rescue once again…:-)

I’ve replaced all my “bulbs” in my concealed/hat lighting with LED lights that can also be dimmed. Starting out expensive over here the price drop recently has only been equaled by gasoline. Of course they run very cool too - and are available in many color temperatures.

Anyone wanting to try 00-SF should read your Eastwood Town thread.....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

Feel seriously unwell this early evening and I may have to go to bed before MOTD. I usually do this as it saves me watching Spurs pathetically dismal performances year in year out, week after week.

However this afternoon the script has gone unread. Spurs have apparently won 4-1.

I also missed my boys winning 4-1 so will look forward to MOTD tonight.  

Thanks for your kind words Pete.  I haven't made this public, but I am so close to either giving up ET or leaving RMweb.  I want to keep playing around with bits and bobs but the continual questioning from trolls and those who have no interest whatsoever in 00-SF have made me think, what's the point.  I take great comfort from a few people who have said thank you for giving them some ideas but there are still a few who do nothing but try to undermine what you are doing.  To be honest I'm that close to saying stuff it, I can't be bothered, but the banter on ER's etc means it's the first port of call every morning.

The problem is once something appears in print, you have to answer it.  Letting it go means there is so much mis information out there that anyone taking an interest could ditch that train of thought simply based on the negative response from those who have their own agenda.  I'm saddened that 00-SF was a simple solution to an age old problem, but you would think it was the devil's spawn judging by the responses to date.

Thankfully ER's is a special place where guns are left in the foyer and everyone is pleasant.  Long may it continue…..

Gordon, can not you, Martin and one or two trusted people keep in touch by PM? I have to say I've had a brief look, and whilst it is really beyond me I don't understand all the negativity. Anyway, if you leave where will we get pictures of fish?

Ed

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Took a lot of time to get into gear this morning before a trip to a certain Swedish furniture house for some bits and bobs as we'd been having some ideas for redecorating our flat!

Only managed a skim-read over what happened on here since Friday, so I'll leave it at a generic round of congrats and commies, but would also like to encourage you to tell all those detractors you mentioned to eff off, Gordon. Getting wound up over an entirely pleasing and rewarding hobby is definitely not what this is supposed to be about…so if they want to wreck their nerves by trolling, that should be their problem but not yours.

Speaking of that, I myself have been wondering whether having turned a hobby into a job will eventually affect my approach to railway modelling in some way, and if so, how…

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gordon. I am never again going to handbuild track. I have done so years ago but as all I want now is to see my trains trundling through a station without pointwork I don't need to! I was really happy when I could at last see trains going round. The sight of 50 mineral wagons disappearing under a bridge is quite therapeutic! Now this may seem a million miles away from your rather lovely track elements but it was your comments years ago about coping with longer length trains that inspired me to try and implement something I could fit in a limited space. Your research into gradients and curves also stopped me planning something silly. So although my model is really closer to the train set I really once wanted I do appreciate all the stuff you have shared.

Your descriptions of how you achieved something on ET are really good as you describe what didn't work, which is actually very helpful.

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Gordon

don't give them the thrill they seek. Someone had a go at me the other day and it has had the opposite affect on me that he sought.

In management speak - put the dinos (or, in this case trolls)  in the corner walled enclosure and don't feed  them! 

So once I had done my bits and bats today I started doing some stuff for me... amazing what you can do when you don't have any worries about doing it - new pick ups on a recently acquired locomotive, fixing one which had an errant wire which had desoldered itself - soon fixed!

in other news today Sunderland did turn up at Old Trafford..... nuff said!

Watching Sleepless in Seattle one of my favourites as it is good at helping me chill out.

Stay calm and have a good evening/day/night.

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Gordon - just pop into the shed and have a few quiet moments with Shergar and Sam - but not necessarily in that order.

It could be worse you know.

You could support Sunderland.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

... I haven't made this public, but I am so close to either giving up ET or leaving RMweb.  I want to keep playing around with bits and bobs but the continual questioning from trolls and those who have no interest whatsoever in 00-SF have made me think, what's the point.  I take great comfort from a few people who have said thank you for giving them some ideas but there are still a few who do nothing but try to undermine what you are doing.  To be honest I'm that close to saying stuff it, I can't be bothered, but the banter on ER's etc means it's the first port of call every morning.

The problem is once something appears in print, you have to answer it.  Letting it go means there is so much mis information out there that anyone taking an interest could ditch that train of thought simply based on the negative response from those who have their own agenda.  I'm saddened that 00-SF was a simple solution to an age old problem, but you would think it was the devil's spawn judging by the responses to date...

The trolls are not worth the stress or virtual ink. Don't get into the discussion. You and many others have laid out the benefits of 00-SF and if these idiots can't or won't understand then let them rot. Those of us that have tried it understand and have proven the benefits for ourselves. This is a hobby for enjoying not for scoring points.

It'll be cold and wet soon so you'll have to come in off the golf course soon. :)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Gordon, can not you, Martin and one or two trusted people keep in touch by PM? I have to say I've had a brief look, and whilst it is really beyond me I don't understand all the negativity. Anyway, if you leave where will we get pictures of fish?

Ed

Total agreement about the negativity on that thread.

I just wonder what they'd start saying if I admitted to bumping all my EM gauge wheels out to 16.75mm b-t-b, which also gives much improved running through pointwork!

• Like 10

I also missed my boys winning 4-1 so will look forward to MOTD tonight.  

Thanks for your kind words Pete.  I haven't made this public, but I am so close to either giving up ET or leaving RMweb.  I want to keep playing around with bits and bobs but the continual questioning from trolls and those who have no interest whatsoever in 00-SF have made me think, what's the point.  I take great comfort from a few people who have said thank you for giving them some ideas but there are still a few who do nothing but try to undermine what you are doing.  To be honest I'm that close to saying stuff it, I can't be bothered, but the banter on ER's etc means it's the first port of call every morning.

The problem is once something appears in print, you have to answer it.  Letting it go means there is so much mis information out there that anyone taking an interest could ditch that train of thought simply based on the negative response from those who have their own agenda.  I'm saddened that 00-SF was a simple solution to an age old problem, but you would think it was the devil's spawn judging by the responses to date.

Thankfully ER's is a special place where guns are left in the foyer and everyone is pleasant.  Long may it continue…..

....why not just savour ERs for what it is Gordon and continue your modelling webcontent wherever you feel most comfortable....those who move regularly between forums never seem to have roots in any.

Dave

• Like 4

Thanks for all your comments guys.  I didn't post to gain sympathy as such, just letting off steam over the sheer frustration of the whole topic.  

Thought it couldn't get any worse and it just did…..How did we lose that one?

Still got MOTD to watch in a few minutes.  Spent several hours putting up new ceiling lights in the bedroom before the decorator comes in on Monday and missed Spurs live.

• Like 6

:O  :jester: 

Total agreement about the negativity on that thread.

I just wonder what they'd start saying if I admitted to bumping all my EM gauge wheels out to 16.75mm b-t-b, which also gives much improved running through pointwork!

Hell, I'm happy enough with Code 100 track and Peco points! I'd love to do hand-built but really, REALLY don't have the time - might try a little when I can, but a 24' x 12 4-track mainline isn't something I think I'd manage to hand build in under about 100 years!

Add to that, I am happy with most all the RTR locos and stock I can get my hands on (do have a few custom built locos, and I've built some wagons myself) and I also have a large ROUNDY-ROUND to cap it all off/add insult to injury... I suppose I should just report to the "correctional facility" to await being pilloried!!!! :jester: :O  :jester:  

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hell, I'm happy enough with Code 100 track and Peco points! I'd love to do hand-built but really, REALLY don't have the time - might try a little when I can, but a 24' x 12 4-track mainline isn't something I think I'd manage to hand build in under about 100 years!

Add to that, I am happy with most all the RTR locos and stock I can get my hands on (do have a few custom built locos, and I've built some wagons myself) and I also have a large ROUNDY-ROUND to cap it all off/add insult to injury... I suppose I should just report to the "correctional facility" to await being pilloried!!!! :jester: :O  :jester:  

As far as I, and many others are concerned, there is nothing wrong with that Ian.

At least you have a functioning railway that gives you a lot of pleasure. A 24 x 12, four track mainline would give me a lot of pleasure as well, especially as a roundy.

I got into hand laid track with the 1.25" and  1.75" gauge stuff representing  2 foot gauge. (16 mil and 7/8ths) and believe it or not I can make a 10 foot radius turnout in the larger scale a damn sight quicker than in EM or P4.  I can use belt sanders rather than needle files to remove metal!

My aspirations in the smaller stuff are currently 'less is more' and I'm making progress, but horribly slowly.

Your only problem is that you do not follow the teachings of Swindon, Barry or Caerphilly :jester:

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I would hate to see Eastwood Town go the way of all good things - it's one of a number of layouts and threads about building them which really is inspirational.  Alas the trolls and dumbos seem to be an unfortunate part of internet life - some of the stuff which is posted on this forum about signalling or railway operation leaves me wondering what I have spent very nearly half a century of my life doing and on more than one occasion I have just stopped myself from pressing the 'Post' button.  But why give in to the idiots and why bother to get stroppy with them - it's no more satisfying than kicking a dog when you think about it although it would probably be  more helpful to society than attacking an innocent animal.

So on that cheery note, and having actually followed orders and tackled the overgrown rosebush (very carefully) and uprooted the sweetcorn plants which are past their prime as well as sundry other minor clearance tasks out there I wish you all a good night and with a small question - how many of the Welsh team were actually born in Wales and was it perhaps an English victory after all if you don't take notice of the colour of their shirts ;)

• Like 12

An excellent Saturday. Friends have been visited, F1 qualifying watched, rugby watched and enjoyed.

Pity about the Canadian result, a well deserved win for RSA and a hard fought win for Wales. Two very closely matched sides but I think that the England team made far too many changes.

I'm not going to look up the answer to Mike's question yet but ask a rhetorical one. How many of the England team were born in England.

An early start to watch the race tomorrow before heading home recharged and ready for a busy week.

Night all

• Like 9