The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

At the sixth form college late 1990s.

Students, ”Tony, your initials are APS, would you prefer us to call you Anthony?"

Me,"Only my mother calls me Anthony"

Students, "OK Tone!".

This had started as a student had reacted badly to someone shortening his name to Tony.

When my nephew was born, I was told in a no uncertain manner by my sister in law that his name was Anthony, not TONY! Image my surprise a few months later when I heard my brother calling him Ant! 

As a foot note, a new co-worker arrived one day, a few years ago now, and on being asked his name, he replied "Brian, but at my last job they called me Percy and I hated that". "Fair enough", was the answer, "Percy, it is then!".

At the sixth form college late 1990s.

Students, ”Tony, your initials are APS, would you prefer us to call you Anthony?"

Me,"Only my mother calls me Anthony"

Students, "OK Tone!".

This had started as a student had reacted badly to someone shortening his name to Tony.

When my nephew was born, I was told in a no uncertain manner by my sister in law that his name was Anthony, not TONY! Image my surprise a few months later when I heard my brother calling him Ant! 

As a foot note, a new co-worker arrived one day, a few years ago now, and on being asked his name, he replied "Brian, but at my last job they called me Percy and I hated that". "Fair enough", was the answer, "Percy, it is then!".

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I had forgotten about being called sir....back when I had a bit of gold braid around my sleeve.  Never much liked it, but it is essential in some circumstances to maintain discipline.

In what almost seemed like a different life, calling the Bench Their Worships and the Clerk of the Court sir seemed correct in the play act that is Magistrates Court.

Nowadays I get called something far more rude when I leave work on a Thursday, as I don't work Fridays.....calling into doubt my parentage!  Actually some in the first line of this post probably thought the same, but didn't voice it.

• Like 10

I have problems with people who seem to be unable to hear the letter H no matter how distinctly I pronounce it when giving Miss bb's name as "Helen", and ask "Is that 'elen with or without a haitch?"

And, while I'm at it, should the act of pronouncing the letter aitch as "haitch" be enough to convict a person as a murderee?

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

To my students I insist on being known as John. I don't respond to Sir - I tell them that they're In a profession, or going to be, and although I'm currently teaching them in three years time they can be just as qualified as I am, hopefully more so, so get used to treating people as intellectual equals.

And when they say to me "I want to know what you know" I tell them that by merely doing that they lack ambition, flattering as it may seem. I temper that by saying that I'm three times their age and so I've had a lot longer to get to know things. They tend to accept that.

And my mum always told me that she chose John because it couldn't be shortened. Then in my childhood she found herself calling "Johnny!" down the street when she wanted me to come in.

You're lucky, I was always called by my mother "Our John Willie". :O

I'm not arguing, Pete (and 'm sorry if my post sounded as if I was). It's just that I was surprised that you found that pronunciation unusual, having heard it all my life.

Talking of UK/US differences in pronunciation, what about BERnard and BerNARD, or MAUreen and MauREEN?

That’s my fault - personally I have not met any Anthony’s over here (only since 1989) and thought it was a TV affectation, to be honest!

Didn’t mean to yell!

Yeah I knew about the Bernard thing but haven’t come across any Mo’s!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

And, while I'm at it, should the act of pronouncing the letter aitch as "haitch" be enough to convict a person as a murderee?

At the risk of invoking the wrath of Aditi it’s my belief that the Haitch thing (definitely cringeworthy) is centered around East and West Ham with a small offshoot near Cardiff (up the valleys a bit). It’s what happens when they “pretend to be posh”. :drag:

Of course exceptions to this rule always exist etc., etc.

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

I always found it "strange" to be called "sir" whilst sitting in court. I tended to look around to see if some-one else had arrived. I think I understand your dislike of the term also, would that be because you were a W.O.?

There was a similar exchange on a long ago episode of Star Trek when the rank of one of the characters was mistaken. 

I certainly didn't make it to W.O. I turned down my third stripe more times than I care to remember so I didn't end up sitting in an office and remained hands on

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of invoking the wrath of Aditi it’s my belief that the Haitch thing (definitely cringeworthy) is centered around East and West Ham with a small offshoot near Cardiff (up the valleys a bit). It’s what happens when they “pretend to be posh”. :drag:

Of course exceptions to this rule always exist etc., etc.

Best, Pete.

Aditi speaks English like a Radio 4 announcer with a hint of Yorkshire/Nottingham accent. She would definitely say H as aitch and Helen as Helen!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All this mention of names.

Most people call me Mick

Whilst working in Manchester, I was Mike.

If it's a Sunday or I've done something wrong at home then it's Michael.

One of my friends often calls me all three......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

So, when VW recalls our diesel Jetta, do we take it to the dealer, or do we ignore the recall?

I'm inclined to ignore it, but we'll see.

Will you be able to take it to California with the "true" emission rating?
  • Like 3

I am the third of four children born of our mother. At times when she became exasperated she would shout for me by calling out the names of all four of us, Gordon and David I could understand, but Pam? 

Night all. 

Geoff.

P.S.  It is a trait I have inherited, to the amusement of my children.

• Like 4

All this mention of names.

Most people call me Mick

Whilst working in Manchester, I was Mike.

If it's a Sunday or I've done something wrong at home then it's Michael.

One of my friends often calls me all three......

Cheers,

Mick

Is he/she taking the Mickey? :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

... and something for Polly!

post-7041-0-01734600-1442651708.jpg

post-7041-0-10104000-1442651732.jpg

Thanks, DD.

I somehow think I'm being given a hint, here.

That would look mighty nice round these parts...

and driver training resumed this morning with two laps on a blue Sweet Pea.

Drats, I forgot to take a selfie...sorry no photo.

Polly I :mosking:

Meet our Polly II.

post-14049-0-74497200-1443044448.jpg

post-14049-0-50717000-1443044449.jpg

We've had our eyes on it for a couple of weeks but were only able to collect it, today, hence my cagey response to DD's post.  It was done through a member of our Model Engineering Society, so it had to be brought in from the car and displayed on the table in the club hut for everyone to see.  Overwhelming opinion was that it should be renamed "Polly".  Who am I to argue?

I'll post an update or two over the coming weeks (months) depending on how soon we can get it running.

Time for catching up on your news, now - hope you've not been posting too much, today.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from the village near the Swedish store.   All this talkof names is interesting.

My mother was Christened Evelyn but because she was small as  ababy was called Pixie by her family.   My father had a teached that he hated who was called Miss Evelyn so he called my mum by the first half of her surname, Ambery.   This obvioulsy runs in the family as I was christened James but chose to be called Jamie when I went to Uni and in my block there was already a James and a Jim on a room door.  My wife is known by her ex work colleagues as Liz, to me and all her friends as Beth and to her father when she's done something wrong as Elizabeth.

At work I was called many names by some of my customers, some not at all complimentary however to senior officers I preferred the formality of my rank.   I was village bobby for 4 years in the early 80's and some of my son's schoolfriends, whose fathers I had locked up, still call me 'Mr Guest' which I take as a mark of respect because I always did try to treat my customers fairly.

As to books I daren't post a photo of my modelling room there are so many.   I recently tidied part of the floor and the shelf that magazines live on and ended up with a pile of books nearly 2' high that I have to find a home for.  

SApart from that I wish all the invalids a good continuing recovery and will say goodnight to all and sundry.

Jamie

• Like 14

Yeah, he's ignored by all and sundry here!   I think no-one took him seriously when he 'applied'.  If he came here he would quickly find the second word he heard a lot was 'off'.  The average Manxie doesn't much like the fact QE2 is the Lord of Man, never mind a Yankee from Maryland.  I think the 'King' title went out of use when the island belonged to the Earl of Derby a looong time ago.  Which reminds me - where do you think the Derby horse races started......there's a clue above!

Er, Yankee’s don’t come from Maryland - that’s south of the Mason - Dixon line. Yankees only come from Connecticut and Massachusetts (mostly). I do understand where you are coming from, though, the guys a real yahoo..

Aditi speaks English like a Radio 4 announcer with a hint of Yorkshire/Nottingham accent. She would definitely say H as aitch and Helen as Helen!

Sorry, I meant the source for students for Newham...

So, when VW recalls our diesel Jetta, do we take it to the dealer, or do we ignore the recall?

I'm inclined to ignore it, but we'll see.

There is no doubt in my mind that all recalls will be easily identified so that Kalifornia will be able to keep you out. You probably will not be able to get it tested or insured either.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

Is he/she taking the Mickey? :jester:

And in the case of Mick Jagger - Mick was invented by Andrew Loog Oldham as he thought it more “edgy” than Mike - which is how Jagger was really known. So far as I know that Face to Face he is still known as Mike by close Friends and Family.

Best, Pete.

Will you be able to take it to California with the "true" emission rating?

It's unlikely CA would prevent me using it there, but licensing it there could be a problem.

There is an interesting aspect to this. The net CO2 emissions from our diesel are considerably less than the gasoline version for the simple reason that the diesel's fuel economy is a lot better. The problem that the nitwits at VW (I wonder if Bosch were involved too?) were hiding is with the oxides of nitrogen that result from the higher combustion temperatures in diesel engines.

The question is, which is more harmful? CO2 is a long term greenhouse gas, but oxides of nitrogen do not have long-term greenhouse effects. On the other hand, they do create local pollution problems in the form of smog in areas where there are many vehicles and other sources of pollution.

So, if the "fix" reduces the fuel economy it could be trading a nasty localized short term problem against a potentially much more dangerous long-term problem. I'm not saying I know the answer, but it's something to consider.

I am the third of four children born of our mother. At times when she became exasperated she would shout for me by calling out the names of all four of us, Gordon and David I could understand, but Pam? 

Night all. 

Geoff.

P.S.  It is a trait I have inherited, to the amusement of my children.

There were 8 of us, I was second youngest,  and so, in those exasperated moments, I was known as HarryDennisIanElizabethSuzanneMarieGeorge  . . JOHN!!!!!!. . .by which time we were all in fits of laughter.

Hello Debs, nice to see a posting from you.

Goodnight All . . . . . Sleep well.

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 11