The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

HUMP day here in Long Island (well sort of - as it's a 4-day week here it should be HUMP afternoon I guess?)

We removed every last remnant of carpet from our house over the years since we've been here (23 and counting) and in every room found that the carpet was laid well/carefully, over perfect early 20th century 1" Oak hardwood flooring - the house was built in 1927. All of that has been refinished and we have some of the nicest original oak flooring you'll manage to see. It's almost impossible to get 1" oak any more at a sensible price, we love it.

The LAST room to be attacked was the kitchen just two years ago, that had about 4 layers of linoleum put down over many years. We were going to cover it with laminate until we discovered that below all the layers was the same 1" oak! Was a nightmare to restore, getting the old glue up etc., but now is truly a delight.

The only part of the house needing "replacement" was the main staircase. Carpeted, it revealed quite poor quality pine treads when removed. I replaced them with oak treads.

Sticky here this AM and 23 already with overcast skies. Supposed to clear and be even MORE humid than yesterday, truly ugly weather, but supposed to be then improving tomorrow.

Onward and upward - an easy thing to accomplish as I'm stuck in a basement   :jester:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

With his very poor colour vision Matthew just accepts that a colour is what people say it is. Before he Skyped us Aditi wanted to know what colour his room was. He said white but with one yellowish wall. It is in fact a sort of mustardy yellow. Aditi would probably call it Maria Theresien yellow but apparently that has been superseded as a name on European paint charts according to Wikipedia.

I can pass all the colour vision tests but I am sure Aditi can see more shades than I can. Matthew's colour vision is exactly like Aditi's father's. As he was a GP he learned the Ishihara colour vision test answers so he could test his patients.

• Like 2

Ignore Wheeltappers for a couple of days and it grows enormously. Quite lost track of when I last looked in. Best to all those coping with injury, infirmity or therapies. I can only offer the thought of my favourite old soldier, age 95, Monday evening's cracker (regarding his pills): "This is horrible, but it beats twenty blokes lying behind a hedge and shooting at you.".

I am in a total dilemma over carpet. The house we bought twenty years ago was fitted with an extremely good quality and attractive 'brown with a green sheen' deep pile job, which is still in good condition after near forty years from when originally laid. Every bone in my body revolts against discarding such a proven quality item which will likely outlive me. But it shows every single piece of foreign material, and especially during leaf fall looks terrible: within an hour of the most thorough cleaning, if anything but class 100 clean room procedures are followed on all transits from outdoors to inside, there is visible carp everywhere on the carpet. 

What I really want is a 'random' carpet pattern equivalent to DPM, on which all deposits blend in completely. Only need to clean when sinking into the detritus begins to make it difficult to walk. But nothing so messy in carpet patterns appears to be on offer. What to do? I only have so many resources to divert SWMBO from her quest for change, and she's just coming to the end of a major distraction (project) with a member of her family so the risk of the focus coming back onto this subject is high. All Baldrick style cunning plans considered.

• RMweb Gold

What I really want is a 'random' carpet pattern equivalent to DPM, on which all deposits blend in completely. Only need to clean when sinking into the detritus begins to make it difficult to walk. But nothing so messy in carpet patterns appears to be on offer. What to do? I only have so many resources to divert SWMBO from her quest for change, and she's just coming to the end of a major distraction (project) with a member of her family so the risk of the focus coming back onto this subject is high. All Baldrick style cunning plans considered.

I can't advise on carpet patterns, we have only ever had plain. The mid brown with very occasional flecks randomly threaded seems to cope with dog (hairs and very occasional chunder), and humans,( food and drink spills). it is an 80% wool, 20% "other fibres" mix. My tip for choosing is to say clearly what you don't like. Second tip, suggest not returning home until you have made a choice.

We couldn't ever see any curtains we liked more than the old ones we brought with us from our previous house, even when they were tatty. One day we saw some fabric in John Lewis, both liked it and ordered the curtains. Aditi wanted to make them herself but I persuaded her not too, she was very busy at work at the time. The assistant at Bluewater John Lewis wanted to send someone to measure up but commented that I did seem to be someone who knew not to confuse cm and inches.

• Like 6

Just dropped-in to say a quick 'hello' to all E.R`s. :bye:

I`ve been rather under the weather, and consequently have not been able to do much modelling or model-engineering this year, but `hoping to make it along to Expo. E.M North on Saturday to have an injection of enthusiasm......as if I haven`t had enough 'jabs' of late! :mosking:

Best wishes to all,

Deb.

• RMweb Premium

I`ve been rather under the weather, and consequently have not been able to do much modelling or model-engineering this year, but `hoping to make it along to Expo. E.M North on Saturday to have an injection of enthusiasm......as if I haven`t had enough 'jabs' of late! :mosking:

Best wishes to all,

Deb.

Glad to see you again Debs,  Hope that the jab at Expo does the job.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Best wishes to all,

Deb.

Have a nice time at Expo EM. Will you be taking the Butler?

• Like 5

Have a nice time at Expo EM. Will you be taking the Butler?

No, he`s busy below stairs; so the Chauffeur will waft One there, in the Surrey.........One hopes there will be adequate provision for watering the horses, at such a provincial venue. :mosking: 

• Like 4

Several years ago I fitted engineered Oak flooring to my through lounge it was the best thing I had ever done around the house it was high grade stuff apart from a few very tiny dink's here and there it looks as good as when it first went down its easy to clean and is ideal when the 2 big hounds Alfie and Barney are on sleep over their hair does not get embedded into it like what happens to carpet .

attachicon.gifWP_20150523_15_59_25_Smart.jpg

That's a beautiful dog. Is it Alfie or Barney, I lost track....

OD: I have mixed feelings about generics, for various reasons. What most people do NOT know about generics is that they do not undergo the same stringent testing as proprietary medications. In many cases, a small study or two showing bio-equivalance to the original proprietary compound and a CMC dossier (also smaller than for a new proprietary drug) is all that is needed, it's not what I'd call exhaustive testing :nono:. For a simple, well established, molecule - like aspirin - generics are fine, in fact there are a few very useful drugs that you can actually synthesize in a very small (home?) lab given reasonable access to raw materials. IIRC from my biochemistry lab days, sulfa drugs were amongst those that are actually quite easy to make (alas, our Prof didn't set us that particular lab experiment to do). However, for complicated molecules so many steps in the complicated synthesis are critical that they are very hard to copy effectively. In fact some of the older and cheaper generics have been shown to provide little or no benefit to the patient. I went to a clinical pharmacology symposia early in my career in 1984 and during a symposium a Greek professor of clinical pharmacology showed data on 5 generic versions of the same drug, all of which had shown bioequivelance, as they travelled through the gut. Two of the 5 generics tested were actually excreted in the faeces essentially unchanged from when they were ingested. One hopes the generic industry is a bit better in producing copies nowadays.

One thing that really annoys me about the generics industry is that given the regulatory requirements (and costs) for registering a generic copy of a proprietary drug are fairly minimal compared with de novo proprietary drugs, on a pill-by-pill basis the generic company makes a hell of a lot more profit than a proprietary company (for one thing generics companies rarely, if ever, do those 350 million USD clinical trials that are performed for the development of some drugs in some indications).

Well, must dash, the timer on my Victorian Boiled Fruit Cake has rung and I need to check if it's done

iD

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

This will be my last post until I get back from hospital next week, though I did get a kind offer from Jock to relay messages via 30747.  However, she's not that great on this Interweb thingy, so has offered to ask Geoff (ohmisterporter) of this parish to update everybody, as she can do that in person while walking the dog.

Many thanks for the kind wishes, and it means a lot to know that this cyber place is still as supportive as it ever was.

Best wishes to the ailing, and to those whose kin are ailing, and also generic best wishes to those celebrating.  Bed is confirmed and I need to check in tomorrow by 07.30.  Living room chair has been raised by 3" to allow me to sit with my hip and leg at the correct angle. 

Back in a few days

Regards to All

Stewart

edit to add

ps great to have Debs on board again - keep popping in, but do warn us so that we make sure that we don't post any offensive material of the ferroequinology variety

S

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

I knew all I had to do was simply think about posting some of today's track laying progress and she'd surface. That's spooky.  <_< but most welcome to see her around and about.  :imsohappy:

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Unusual event. Tornado has just flown low over the house,undercarriage lowered heading seemingly in the direction of EMA ( we are on today's approach flightpath for commercial flights such as RyanAir ).Jet exhaust noise sounded unhealthy to my ears.. No flights over us since. Hope all is OK and it wasn't an emergency landing.Anyone heard anything ?

What I really want is a 'random' carpet pattern equivalent to DPM, on which all deposits blend in completely. Only need to clean when sinking into the detritus begins to make it difficult to walk. But nothing so messy in carpet patterns appears to be on offer.

Back in the 1970s, my sister-in-law had a carpet which sounds exactly like what you want - multi-coloured (and I mean MULTI), covered in irregular patterning. On one occasion, someone spilled a bottle of Guinness on it and by the time she came back from the kitchen with a cloth to wipe it up, she couldn't tell where the spill was. (And she did keep the carpet spotlessly clean.)

• Like 11

Good luck, Stewart. A tip, if I may, insist that they you give you analgesia when you need and not according to a schedule (data show that patients who get analgesia upon demand use less total analgesia and are pain free faster), otherwise lie back and enjoy the drugs :-).

Good to see Debs back in circulation, sorry to hear of her misfortunes and I wish my fellow Border Collie fan Viel Gluck,

Regarding carpets, we have for the most part tile or parquet flooring with loose carpets upon the floor. The exception is the first floor landing, which is carpeted with a plain nondescript beige carpet. Unfortunately the weave of the carpet is such that when Schotty has an itchy bum when his anal glands need draining, he uses the carpet to bring relief to the itching. Needless to say, we have suitable emergency house cleaning supplies on hand nearby. Mrs iD has a thing for handwoven carpets and has acquired some nice examples over the years, regretfully our dogs tend to seek out the most costly examples to shed hair upon.

Just about done with the Yard Office. All I have to do is fix the water goods in place and do some light weathering. Once I get my camera sorted out, I'll post some photos in the appropriate thread.

81c - both Barney and Alfie are handsome devils! The ER mob certainly know how to pick handsome and beautiful canine companions.

G'night all.

iD

• Like 7