The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all. Firstly great to see a couple of fantastic shots of "Mayflower". The B1 really is a handsome locomotive. It was such a shame that 61264 was beached minus its wheels when I visited the Moors last week. Apparently some cracks had been found in one of the driving wheel sets.

Also good news to see both Petes back and posting. So glad to hear that the virtual handshake has taken place. Well done guys! Also great news about Mrs Geoff. I hope that you can now enjoy your holiday.

Here all eyes have been on our old girl (20 year old Burmese catl. After two doses of antibiotic tablets there has been some positive signs. The gunk has definitely slowed from a steady flow to an occasional trickle from her nose. The horrible breathing sounds, which sounded as if her throat was full of said gunk, has also disappeared. She has also started to get her appetite back. Since the visit to the vets this morning she has downed a couple of plates of chicken and two bowls of meat. So fingers crossed that she is already on the mend. That being said, she is currently lying on the landing looking a little unhappy so I am not sure we are out of the woods yet.

Sadly the vets visit came too late to salvage the Severn Valley plans, and I will just have to try and accept that I will not get there until the October half term now. Tomorrow I already have tickets booked to take the girls to Twycross Zoo as both want to see the recently returned giraffes. On Saturday I need to visit the Loughborough show to take some leaflets for our event. This leaves Sunday and I cannot see me getting the permission to ditch the family on the last day before I return to work. I do feel quite disappointed it has to be said.

At a loose end this afternoon I did shut myself away in the spare room and cracked on with the planning for the new school term. This helped me catch up. I also managed to make a bit of progress with the layout. I could post pictures on here, but have already posted them on my "Skaleby West" blog (see below) so I will direct you to there instead of posting the same photo twice.

• RMweb Premium

After my journey home this evening, I can confirm that the schools in this area are definitely back. I'm now looking forward to half term.

Night all

The dreaded school run. Give it a couple of weeks for the new school arrival's mums/dads/grandparents to really find out how to park abandon their cars badly.

If I had my way, I'd ban parking for at least 400m from every school gate - let them get some exercise before tootling off to McD's......

[driving/parking rant over]

Off to pack stuff for this weekend's exhibition. Back for a look in later.

Cheers,

mick

• Like 1

Evening all,

Very weary but happy Jock tonight - the blood test results were all in order and so I've been given the chemo for yet another month! The increasing pain levels I've been experiencing of late were discussed with my oncologist, after a fairly lengthy wait as he is just back from holiday and had a few emergencies to address which must obviously take precedence over a standard requirement like mine. As I expected, he has immediately requested a course of radiography on the tumours in my pelvis where most of the pain is located and so I await a letter inviting me for a scan to target this. Hopefully I'll be able to do a bit more after this, as at the moment I feel very frustrated that even standing in the kitchen to do some of my favourite cooking hurts!

I apologise for not having had time to catch up with today's posts - I'm about to start trawling but it will almost certainly be tomorrow before I post further. Meanwhile I await news of Mal, and notice of whether or not Sherry's and Mrs Geoff's problems are resolved.

I hope Poet's day is kind to you all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night insomniacs!

• Like 3

Mick (newbryford) said -

If I had my way, I'd ban parking for at least 400m from every school gate - let them get some exercise before tootling off to McD's......

Cheers,

mick

Were that to be enforced around Helen's old primary school, some cars would never leave their driveways, and the kids would be late every morning waiting for mum to change out of her dressing gown and slippers and take her curlers out ...

Edit: failed to attach Mick's name to quote.

Edited by bluebottle

Evening all. Excellent prom, although the soprano in Mahler 4 would have done with more volume, difficult to hear from the choir.

I have an incredibly busy time until Tuesday (setting up the conference tomorrow, conference Saturday then off to Telford, Guildex on Sunday then back to Brum, staying with friends for two nights to attend a meeting of the European Railways' Association, home Tuesday for a church meeting, then a 8:40am doctor's appointment on Wednesday).

Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a quiet and dark village. The day has gone well and I've got the last parts of the layout down and brought back home. I've even removed most of the assorted carp that goes with it such as stock, lighting rig tools etc etc and it's all back home. We've just been to pick some friends up at Leeds Bradford airport and I've now got a bit of time to sit down before toddling off upstairs.

Jock, that's really great news I'm very pleased for you. Also good news from Geoff.

I'm also dreading the schools going back. There are many kid that don't appear to be able to walk more than 100 yards and their mothers seem to arrive even earlier every term. Often before 14.45 for a 15.30 pick up.

Anyway I'm now looking forward to a good weekend at Telford with Guildex. I've got the production run of the North British coach etches to take with me and a stock of pre made roofs arrived this afternoon so it should be a good weekend.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening from a good bar in Boston with the Patriots and Giants game live on TV. Still don't understand the game. It just seems a good chance to kick opponents when the ball is elsewhere.

Once got taken to a pre-season warmup game watching the LA Rams at the San Diego Chargers (I was there on business and my first and only sighting of a F117 Nighthawk stealth fighter made up for nearly two weeks of 14 hour work days..... but that's another story)

I spent most of the time with a pair of binoculars watching the cheerleaders.......................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Last year when we were in San Diego we were on a trolley ful of Chargers fans and just one couple of the away team ( can't remember which team it was now but they wore red as opposed to blue) and yet no one chanted them or had a go as if they were all colour blind. So different to back home.

Not Yet seen an F117 but I suppose my stealth awareness isn't so good.

I keep looking out for the cheerleaders but they keep putting adverts on!

Edit.

Just seen them and nearly spilt my beer looking. Was only a few seconds though so back to beer drinking

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

Not long off the boat I was given tickets to a game in Tempe. "How long is the game?" I asked. "Oh, only 60 minutes play. I'll be able to handle that."

Nearly froze to death. It can get pretty chilly after dark in the desert.

• Like 6

Very weary but happy Jock tonight - the blood test results were all in order and so I've been given the chemo for yet another month! The increasing pain levels I've been experiencing of late were discussed with my oncologist, after a fairly lengthy wait as he is just back from holiday and had a few emergencies to address which must obviously take precedence over a standard requirement like mine. As I expected, he has immediately requested a course of radiography on the tumours in my pelvis where most of the pain is located and so I await a letter inviting me for a scan to target this. Hopefully I'll be able to do a bit more after this, as at the moment I feel very frustrated that even standing in the kitchen to do some of my favourite cooking hurts!

Another of your sterling posts, Jock.

Great news about the meds although I'm not happy that you have to wait about to find out if they'll be available.

Seems that your consultant is on the ball and hope you get to feel less pain soon.

Very best wishes to you and yours, Jock.

• Like 6

Morning All,

Some better news on here this morning! Wonderful news, Jock.

Plus, good news about Geoff's wife and Andy's Cat.

The weather is quite nice this morning - with blue sky and fluffy clouds, but there is a definite nip in the air now.  A sure sign that Autumn is on the way.  However, we should be prepared because our fire wood is being delivered on Tuesday!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9

Now in a hot sunny sticky Boston. Decided to have a ride round on the T and stumbled on this make shift brewery tap. Nearly walked past it as it's a collection of containers opposite a new development. Nice beers too.

Make the most of it - frost warnings in the UK by this weekend!

My befuddled mind can barely remember the last time it rained...

Little cooler today at 83f - humidity falling away later.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Good morning one and all

Compared with the trials of some inmates my life appears mundane - famous last words perhaps - but it is not without its irritations.  Back in July my bank saw fit to cancel a direct debit without my prior knowledge or consent.  This had the effect of terminating a magazine subscription and although I had the bank's blunder reversed within three days the subs agency has been very sluggish in reinstating the subscription.  As a result I have to remember to go out and buy the blasted comic, which I did yesterday after yet another phone call to the agency.  How fresh the air, how empty the streets, how needed the exercise!

On return something in the street looked different.  The white van had gone.  As a result my grubby white Polo is now in its preferred parking space for the first time in five weeks.  Little things please little minds, perhaps.   A curious interruption came in mid afternoon when a lady from the VW dealership telephoned with the aim of getting me to change my car.  As there is still a year to go on the finance agreement I thought this premature and said so, politely of course.  It seems that there is now a waiting time of four months for the preferred model and colour.  How fortunate we are to live in a booming economy.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

"Joyous hour we give thee greeting ! Whither,whither art thou fleeting ?.............Sing a merry madrigal !"

Ian Hargrave and Elizabeth Thomas....September 4th 1965...St. Albans Church,Treherbert,Rhondda.

I wish you all  a share in our joy and a hand to those of you who are perhaps less fortunate than we have been.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cooler here this morning but 15C isn't too chilly really. Cloudy though, looks as of it could rain but the forecast suggests it won't.

I don't think I have much to do beyond walking Robbie and collecting a couple of prescriptions. Perhaps I will play trains. I got an invitation yesterday to attend an off road experience from Land Rover. I have booked a day in November so Aditi can go as well. I don't have to use my own car but they don't have Freelander so it will have to be a Discovery Sport.

Good to read that Jock can still keep taking the tablets. I hope the pain relief gets sorted soon too.

I am hoping that after the seminar today Matthew will be less stressed. Aditi will be able to get him up to speed with advanced stats if necessary. She has taught all the topics that Matthew needs to know! His plan B otherwise is to transfer to Cultural Anthropology which is like Human Geography without any sums.

• Like 11

Morning all, the grey skies over Borough Market Junction don't seem so heavy today - perhaps it's the good news from Jock and Geoff.

I heard Echo Beach (Martha and the Muffins) which I loved as a young'un - it really did evoke the longing for far off times and places; something I do more and more these days. the wiki entry references Hiroshima Mon Amour another song full of longing which I have also liked for many years.

The Lurker boys do not go back until Monday. Mrs Lurker is looking forward to them going back - they have been off 7 weeks (last day of term was 17 July!) which feels like the longest summer hols ever, especially as we didn't go away.

I remember going to an American Football match as a child - it lasted forever, I didn't know what was happening, the cheerleading didn't interest me, and horror of horrors, the popcorn was salty! I've not bothered since!

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 13