The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Last word on the Flying Scotsman etc programme - well, the Cornish Rivera bit actually - 'the King class loco comes off and a Castle comes on to the train....'   shot showed a couple of old double framed outside crank jobs.....City or Atbara perhaps (they all look much the same.. :O ) Ah well, at least they were steam engines!

• Like 2

Last word on the Flying Scotsman etc programme - well, the Cornish Rivera bit actually - 'the King class loco comes off and a Castle comes on to the train....'   shot showed a couple of old double framed outside crank jobs.....City or Atbara perhaps (they all look much the same.. :O ) Ah well, at least they were steam engines!

Just watching Poirot. The 'Plymouth Express' has just left Paddington, hauled by an S15 and consisting of a rake of green coaches...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see the two Peter have sorted themselves put enjoy their posts.

Now in a hot sunny sticky Boston. Decided to have a ride round on the T and stumbled on this make shift brewery tap. Nearly walked past it as it's a collection of containers opposite a new development. Nice beers too.

As yes, The T.

I shall be partaking of it's delights at the beginning of next month.

The last time I was there we were in hysterics.  The local populace thought we were deranged,

The reason being that the T has an automated announcement system telling you the next stop etc.

So we got.............   Next stop Broadway.

Then as the train neared the station: Entering Broadway.

Next stop Andrew. 

Followed by

Entering Andrew

Knowing a few Andrews was enough to crack us up.

It's still a family joke

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11

I am glad our dinner is mainly something that can be reheated in the microwave. My brain hurts. I have managed to get through life with very little knowledge of advanced statistical techniques. These have been turned into a compulsory part of Matthew's course in Utrecht. He didn't get the email or the course knowledge prerequisites. He had done the prerequisites in Calgary a few years ago but has had two days to get up to speed on this. This has stressed him considerably and wasn't what he needed after the dissertation messing about that only finished a week ago. So thanks to Skype I have managed to get him back being OK. I can't really help with the stats but I can advise on how to cope. I got another call tonight saying he thinks it will be OK. I have ordered the same textbook so I can advise. Though it would have to be "talk to Mum" I think.

I think Matthew is exhausted, he has been working hard all summer and then his short break in Krakow wasn't very nice.

I am glad he had arranged to meet a friend in Amsterdam on Saturday, he will benefit from a change of scenery.

Now I know there are those who say one should let ones adult offspring go and make their own lives/mistakes but Matthew had some particularly nasty educational experiences (and a few health ones too) growing up I don't feel I can turn him loose yet and cease offering advice and support. Fortunately he really likes where he is living. It looks like a 20 something storey building made of blue and white Lego! The campus has everything and it doesn't take long to cycle to the centre of Utrecht.

Tony

Tony, you never let go of your kids. My parents helped me until they died; I'd like to think I helped them in return. I'll certainly do all I can for my boys.

Ed

• Like 6

Anyone know anything about setting up a new iPhone?  I've been holding for Vodafone for 50 minutes now and getting nowhere.  I can only get 'No Service' in the top left of the screen.  I know our signal is not that good, but when I called them before they managed to get it going with one bar.  I have inserted the new SIM and it is showing under General/About etc, but still shows the Network as not available….

Can't believe I'm still waiting…..and the music on hold is driving me crazy...

• RMweb Gold

Gordon, Have you tried turning it off and on again. If you can't or don't want to, you could try turning airplane mode on, wait a moment and turn airplane mode off again. That should make it look for a service. I'm on O2 so I don't have any signal problems here though there seem to be a couple of seemingly random places where 4G doesn't appear to work.

Eventually had to hang up with Vodafone after almost an hour….

Thanks Tony, I've tried turning it on and off many many times.  I've even had it searching for the network and it finds Vodafone no problem, but still says 'no service' top left of the screen, even though Vodafone has been selected.  They had a ring back service earlier in the evening and they rang back in 67 minutes….Wow!….but they did have it working.  Tried again 10 minutes later and now it's 'no service' all the time.

My daughter Katy tells me it can take 24 hours for the system to settle down and accept a new SIM.  Maybe I'll just leave it and try again tomorrow.

Give me 'Press Button A' any day of the week...

• RMweb Gold

Eventually had to hang up with Vodafone after almost an hour….

Thanks Tony, I've tried turning it on and off many many times.  I've even had it searching for the network and it finds Vodafone no problem, but still says 'no service' top left of the screen, even though Vodafone has been selected.  They had a ring back service earlier in the evening and they rang back in 67 minutes….Wow!….but they did have it working.  Tried again 10 minutes later and now it's 'no service' all the time.

My daughter Katy tells me it can take 24 hours for the system to settle down and accept a new SIM.  Maybe I'll just leave it and try again tomorrow.

Give me 'Press Button A' any day of the week...

I suspect Katy is correct. I remember being told it can take a while for the network to recognise a new sim but it hasn't happened to me. Matthew had to wait about 13 hours once. My iPod Touch was being naughty recently and wouldn't retain a time zone. Plugging it into a Mac PC seemed to sort it out!

Tony

Just watching Poirot. The 'Plymouth Express' has just left Paddington, hauled by an S15 and consisting of a rake of green coaches...

When we watch period pieces that include any shots of trains MrsID always asks me "Well, what's wrong with this one then?"

EDIT: Typo

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Congrats, commiserations and best wishes to those that require them.

Quite a busy week as I've squeezed in work to accommodate POETBEx tomorrow. (Blackburn Exhibition). Sunday evening was putting up our share (23) of about 70 direction signs in readiness. You can't miss them.

post-408-0-06553300-1441312076_thumb.jpg

If any ER's are coming along, come and say hello on New Bryford (apart from 10-2 Sunday as i'm out playing golf with SiL in the local Association Mixed doubles championship)

Tuesday night was a trip to Blackpool for "Ride the Lights".

Lots of bikes riding up and down the prom - apologies for dodgy pic - it was quite dark by this time.

post-408-0-73637900-1441311805_thumb.jpg

This is me by Blackpool Tower

post-408-0-75519300-1441311812_thumb.jpg

EDIT - Especially for Dom. One of Blackpool's Bombardier Flexity trams

post-408-0-64046300-1441314160_thumb.jpg

And we've been hosting BiL's dog Bob on a couple of evenings. He's normally a quiet soul but a bout of barking alerted us to this in the garden.

post-408-0-40983200-1441311820_thumb.jpg

He/she was carefully picked up (on the advice of a wildlife/countryside officer friend of ours) and gently removed to the lower reaches of the garden away from the dog.

And the same happened the night after!

The Tour of Britain comes to us on Monday with Stage 2 starting in Clitheroe and passing within 2-3 miles of my house twice on the route - about two hours apart.

Three of the teams are staying at wife's work and Sunday afternoon will see NB junior on car park duty marshalling at least 3 support trucks, 3 team coaches and numerous team cars.

I'll try and get a few pics of the setup, but will depend on how quickly we pack up after Blackburn Ex on Sunday teatime.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15

Still not a happy bunny even after attending the Club tonight.  One of our newer (and completely hamfisted) members has managed to mash up the valve gear of a club Hornby Black 5.  I have brought it home to try to fix it.  Have googled a replacement set (X9076W) and found some extreme price variations.  Hornby website and Lendons of Cardiff do it at £5.99 and £5.98 respectively, where another well known spares seller (who I believe advertises on this site) is asking £17.39, which is supposedly reduced from £18.30!!  Now I know that sellers should have profit margins, but that is just taking the p*ss.  Rant over!

• Like 2

All through my childhood (apart from the few years we lived in Somerset) my Mum would announce that we would go and see the lights at Blackpool. We never did!

Blackpool is not my favourite place!  Twice I have been to see the lights, and then drive up the prom.  It was just one huge traffic jam, from which I got a bad headache each time, then failed to find the correct way back onto the M55 to get home (this was well before Satnavs!).  Mrs G has never dared to suggest going back!  To be fair, I did enjoy walking along the prom far more than driving along it.

All through my childhood (apart from the few years we lived in Somerset) my Mum would announce that we would go and see the lights at Blackpool. We never did!

All through my kids childhood I told my kids that I would make a Baked Alaska.  I never got around to it.  My youngest is 26.

• RMweb Gold

Still not a happy bunny even after attending the Club tonight.  One of our newer (and completely hamfisted) members has managed to mash up the valve gear of a club Hornby Black 5.  I have brought it home to try to fix it.  Have googled a replacement set (X9076W) and found some extreme price variations.  Hornby website and Lendons of Cardiff do it at £5.99 and £5.98 respectively, where another well known spares seller (who I believe advertises on this site) is asking £17.39, which is supposedly reduced from £18.30!!  Now I know that sellers should have profit margins, but that is just taking the p*ss.  Rant over!

Maybe an error? Other Black 5 valve gear is more expensive.

• RMweb Premium

Blackpool is not my favourite place!  Twice I have been to see the lights, and then drive up the prom.  It was just one huge traffic jam, from which I got a bad headache each time, then failed to find the correct way back onto the M55 to get home (this was well before Satnavs!).  Mrs G has never dared to suggest going back!  To be fair, I did enjoy walking along the prom far more than driving along it.

Word of advice for visiting Blackpool Illuminations - get someone else to drive.............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mayflower certainly gets around - on Saturday was seen passing through Folkestone West, coasting as had an amber signal as was not far behind a Cl.375 EMU on its way to Dover:

post-586-0-83278200-1441314778.jpg

Tried to reply quoting Pete75C's post but since getting Windows10 can't seem to quote previous posts.

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

All through my kids childhood I told my kids that I would make a Baked Alaska.  I never got around to it.  My youngest is 26.

We (or to be honest, my wife) told Matthew we weren't having any pets. Sea Monkeys led to hamsters, rats and finally the dog.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There's a fix for that. It's called Chrome :)

Or for Edge or later IE versions. Turn off the BBCode toggle, quote, and then turn the toggle on if you want to use any features like colour or bold. Not an elegant solution but it is the bulletin board software nor keeping up with about the last three versions of internet explorer.