The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Back here just to check in as here hasn't been here for a while, but thanks to the efforts of the backroom boy(s) we seem to be back in action.

Flooring is down, and kitchen redecoration is now completed at last.  Also have pressure washed the garage door as it had a pretty large selection of lichen adhering thereto - amazing the jobs you find when your laptop or PC is an RMWeb free zone (should this be renamed tRaMweb for now, given the number of light rail related posts that we've had of late.  Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying these, as they are true first hand experiences of the operation and maintenance of these important vehicles, so keep them coming, as far as I'm concerned.

Back tomorrow (probably).

• Like 12

Last working day before holidays, and they can't come too soon.  I'm under terrible pressure on the work I'm doing with not much senior manager interaction and the person I'd hoped would be writing sections of things for me next week while I'm away is now signed off for two weeks, and as far as I'm aware there's no-one else able to take over doing that.

On the plus side, tonight I'm going to see The Magic Flute at the Festival Theatre.

Sorry to hear about your work hassles - aren't many senior management types like that, though, very hands off? But you'll be the one that they can when something goes wrong. Or maybe I'm too cynical.

The Magic Flute sounds delightful - we caught the 4-hour epic Lanark last night at the Lyceum - an amazing piece of writing, and tomorrow have tickets for Murmel Murmel, a German slapstick play where the only words spoken are Murmel (a bit like Rhubarb, I guess). It'll go one of two ways - fantastic or awful, hopefully the former.

Hope your Fridays are going well and that you have a great Bank Holiday weekend in England, Wales and NI- am unsure how this is in Scotland, I know the banks are shut (but RBS at the west end of Princes St is open Monday), but think the kids are in school. Normal shopping day.

Mal

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Note to self:  Do not power up shunting plank whilst you should be tidying up.

Mind you, having RMWeb running in the background can be a bit of a time waster too.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Be fair... you have no idea what I look like.

attachicon.gifidiot_2.jpg

So that was you that I saw the other day!!

Morning from a very cloudy overcast Portland. The first rain in ages is due today which will help calm the wildfires.

It's the big train show today so it could get messy with the credit cards.

I did win three lots in the silent auctions which I need to collect first. About 20- 30 quid of each Kato N scale loco that I didn't really need but at one prices couldn't resist bidding. Now I have to go buy the decoders so I can have them working on Santa Barabra at Warley.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

Morning from a very cloudy overcast Portland. The first rain in ages is due today which will help calm the wildfires.

The rain may be a bit of a mixed blessing. It is definitely going to help the firefighters. However, with about 4 inches expected over a short time, and the ground hard and not absorbent after this long dry spell, we're getting warnings of possible flash flooding in places.

• RMweb Premium

'Afternoon from red dragon land.

We spent the afternoon on the boat.

Sun gorgeous.  Wind whistling through all the rigging in the dock. White horses galloping up the Strait.

Lunch, then a read of the magazines.

Both railways we are members of have articles in the model engineering magazines this month (September issue).

Llandudno track opens (cover headline): http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/editorial/page.asp?p=262

and

Joys of Life Railway (brought back to life by a schoolboy): http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/eim/issues/engineering-in-miniature-september-2015/

There's a photo in the loco depot with young Ed looking on.  Yesterday, he drove "Douglas" (5" gauge model of a Tal-y-llyn Orenstein and Kopel narrow gauge engine) round and did a good job at that.

There's also an article in another magazine called "Polly put the kettle on."  Fame at last.  :mosking:

Actually, it's about the people and machines that produce the Polly Kits.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/editorial/page.asp?p=250

Best go sort something out for tea, now.

.........and

.........before I forget

.........the "207" transfers have arrived for my Dalek Invasion of the Routemaster.  :yes:

• Like 15

For any impressed with the Cardington hangars, may I suggest reading 'Slide Rule' by Nevil Shute (Norway) if it has so far escaped your reading list. A very informative read, in so, so, many ways, covering in part what went on in these edifices.

Today I are been mostly cooking, as we are entertaining a crowd this evening. I have my new see through Wellington cooking boots to show off, essential for those tending to exuberance in culinary matters resulting in major floorward excursions of sloppy stuff. I have been watching the price come down over a couple of years at a nearby stockist, from outrageous to well under a tenner, and the latter price was much too much tempting. With a little negotiation on other items being purchased at the time they were thrown in as a sweeetner, clearly sticking to the shelves, cannot imagine why.

Good to read positive reports from those dealing with health issues, as they do encourage me in pressing the point with some acquaintance who are neglecting themselves. 'Much can be done, you might even get close to normal service can be resumed'.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

We went up the mountains with some friends who had hired a car. Lovely scenery and tapas at lunch time was very nice. The local shop had some wine which I had to buy. Why? Well its from Miguel Oliver....obviously a long lost member of my family!

EMP... We used to test all vehicles provide de to the army. One of the test team found by angling the main armament and turret at certain angles and disconnecting a number of screened cables he could pick up radio 2 at lunchtime when "testing" a Challenger 1.

Now off to dinner.

Sleep well everyone!

Baz

• Like 14

EMP... We used to test all vehicles provide de to the army. One of the test team found by angling the main armament and turret at certain angles and disconnecting a number of screened cables he could pick up radio 2 at lunchtime when "testing" a Challenger 1.

Built a tape recorder using a circuit from Practical Electronics. Turned out it was also a very effective receiver for the  BBC Home Service  (it was few years ago.)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

... We used to test all vehicles provide de to the army. One of the test team found by angling the main armament and turret at certain angles and disconnecting a number of screened cables he could pick up radio 2 at lunchtime ...

Baz

Doesn't listening to Jeremy Vine contravene some human rights legislation?
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, seems we are back in operation and the weird screen has gone away, fingers crossed for continued service.

In the meanwhile herself has been harvesting - a couple of cons of sweetcorn, loads of carrots and leeks (the latter processed for freezing) and soem more runner beans.  In a fit of madness it was also decided to check the reserve freezer - it lives in the garage and as a result I am instructed to continually remind her that there is  no need to but any chicken, or beef for sometime to come.  This surplus of frozen meat is allegedly entirely my fault as I am the only person in the house capable of opening the garage door and I presume I don't do it often enough or I'm failing to tell anyone else when I do do it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Today I have been mainly building trying to build a large layout board. This has involved trying to saw off one of my fingers, getting several splinters, banging my head and drawing blood and ruining a brand new wood drill bit because I forgot there was a screw in the way (that I had put there about 5 minutes earlier.)

So how was your day?

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Today I have been mainly building trying to build a large layout board. This has involved trying to saw off one of my fingers, getting several splinters, banging my head and drawing blood and ruining a brand new wood drill bit because I forgot there was a screw in the way (that I had put there about 5 minutes earlier.)

So how was your day?

I have had a very lazy day once getting up at 4am was recovered from. I did go to Tesco for some shopping. I forgot it was a bank holiday weekend and wondered why it was so busy.

I am not planning any diy activity in the near future. I don't think I could cope with the blood loss. I think I get tired easily and make mistakes. I have the right tools, I do know what to do, but blood and bruising seems to occur.

Tony

This surplus of frozen meat is allegedly entirely my fault as I am the only person in the house capable of opening the garage door and I presume I don't do it often enough or I'm failing to tell anyone else when I do do it. 

I keep saying we need to keep an inventory of the contents of the freezer, but my directives seem to have little effect. Then there is the impenetrable pantry cupboard.

Her: "Why did you buy another ten pound bag of sugar? There's one in the back of the cupboard."

Me: "Er, well, um." 

• Like 2

Certainly not a POETS day for me. I eventually got home at 20:00.

This has definitely screwed up my plans for the weekend as I haven't had chance to visit the timber merchant to organise the required timber and have it cut to size.

Life could be worse I suppose

• RMweb Premium

Evening, and the usual wishes to those in need.  I met an ex work colleague today who informed me his partner (whom I have worked with in the past) suffered a terrible facial/brain injury after a fall, simply walking in her lunch break - she is going to be Ok eventually, but it make you think....just walking....sheesh.

Lots of old bike stuff today, so here is the news for Jock and any other petrol heads about.

BSA Rocket Gold Star

post-10195-0-53940700-1440794779_thumb.jpg

A nice special - Velocette engine in Norton featherbed frame - hence 'Velton'

post-10195-0-10414400-1440794805_thumb.jpg

Another special - a bit outside my knowledge but I think it's a Commando engine in a Featherbed frame with Yamaha XJ600 running gear! Jock?

post-10195-0-71040500-1440794864_thumb.jpg

BSA Gold Star and another RGS behind.  It's the 40th Anniversary of some kind of thing for the Goldie, there are 105 of them booked in for the 'big do' on Sunday. Jock may care to expand on what that means to a biker!

post-10195-0-00941700-1440795027.jpg

Seeley framed G50 Matchless - I detect Jock going weak at the knees....

post-10195-0-87399200-1440795086_thumb.jpg

Egli framed Vincent Comet 500.  Swiss team, they obviously have access to a LOT of money to race that!

post-10195-0-14610200-1440795125_thumb.jpg

The islands top racer, John McGuinness, talking to ex racer and TV pundit Steve Parrish, being recorded for TV.  Can you get that close to Button or Vettel? No, thought not....John signed an autograph for us too.

post-10195-0-85863900-1440795183_thumb.jpg

Andy Molnar 4-valve Manx Norton.  Perfection.

post-10195-0-04505500-1440795333_thumb.jpg

ex-Geoff Duke Gilera 500/4. Priceless.

post-10195-0-58591400-1440795362_thumb.jpg

Other end of technology - Bimota.  those of a technical bent may enjoy working out the front suspension/steering!

post-10195-0-24227400-1440795408_thumb.jpg

OK, enough for now, those not petrol biased have fallen asleep!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I keep saying we need to keep an inventory of the contents of the freezer, but my directives seem to have little effect. Then there is the impenetrable pantry cupboard.

Her: "Why did you buy another ten pound bag of sugar? There's one in the back of the cupboard."

Me: "Er, well, um." 

That's not the best form of defence I suspect Andy.  Very similar to the interrogation I received when I returned home one day with a six-pack of baked beans when I was immediately told how many tins there were in the stockpile in the cupboard under the stairs - it left me no choice but to employ a totally honest response and point out that the equated price per tin was less than that of the 4 pack and that being tinned they were bound to last a couple of years and thus there'd be no problem consuming them; they would simply be taken into stock so to speak.  The news of 'a substantial saving' seemed to earn me a semi-reprieve.

And on that happy note g'night all.

PS I thought it relevant to check the current stock - there are at least 16 tins of baked beans in the reserve under the stairs, I shall buy no more.  This might sound excessive to some folk but it is outnumbered at least 2:1 by the bottles of wine (which are of course in addition to the ready use bottles in the two wine fridges in the kitchen).

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I have cracked this shopping lark.

She does all of it.

That might sound selfish but she doesn't like me going shopping with her to the supermarket as I rush her and she forgets items.

She's also just read this before posting.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9