The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

They may not have but I bet they don't have that supposedly endangered species 'The Great Crested Newt' that seems to spend it's time migrating from one proposed railway project site to another.

Jamie

....he usually takes his brother, Pistas, with him - I just put up with Tiny - he's my newt! - where's me coat!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! Needed a nap after my shift first thing when I got home. I was on Line 3 for the entire turn and found that due to ongoing engineering work and a separate restricted speed section, it is not really possible to totally meet the timetable. Not without, shall we say, lenient interpretation of other operating rules, at least. However, I have long decided that I will not let such things stress me out or lead me to reckless driving. After all, safety does have priority over the timetable.

I do feel increasingly confident as to exploiting the safe operating envelope our trams offer, though. And yes, it is quite satisfying to have several hundred kilowatts and 50-plus tonnes at your command!

Shift tomorrow will commence at 3.22, so I'll be off to bed in a few. Night, all...

• Like 8

http://www.eyefi.com/

It creates its own wifi network, to which you can add your phone, laptop, tablet, so all your snaps are saved where you really want them. In the field this can be enormously useful, no doubt. My Nikon D750 does the same sort of thing.

Ah! Right. I was looking at a cheapo version that only connects to existing networks.

When I bought the Nikon it didn't realize it even had the feature. When I discovered it did I thought it was a bit silly, and something I was unlikely to ever use. I was wrong! (again)

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Catch up ony took about 45 minutes tonight, getting better.

Jock - pleased to see that common sense has prevailed and that as a result, your pain has diminished.  It does make a difference having a supportive GP who doesn't just stick to the accepted philosophy. 

Dom - pleased to see that your first shifts have gone as well as could be hoped, and long may they continue - sweet dreams for an early rise tomorrow morning for your early start.

Ian (Roundhouse) Portland seems to be an odd sort of place.  I have an online friend who lives a bit up country from there, and who uses Sussex Spaniels as Search and Rescue dogs in the mountains, which is a most unusual use for that breed (in fact we believe that it is unique).

Late on parade as I fancied a pie fix today, so we jumped in the car and took a trip to Skipton then on to Ilkley - and for once the railway book/charity shop fruit machine came up with a copy of Colin T Gifford's excellent work Steam Finale - North, at a quite sensible price but which showed that the book pricer knew (or used the Internet to find out) that this was something a bit special.

Laptop now needed for "other" purposes, so

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening, and best wishes to those that need support.

On the subject of which, Jock.....a better night of practice, with classics out making a grand noise, and a works MV 500 triple stopped right by us - and failed to re-start - all that money.....

post-10195-0-44536100-1440705265.jpg

post-10195-0-53832900-1440705287.jpg

post-10195-0-37109500-1440705304.jpg

post-10195-0-93678900-1440705324.jpg

Norton Rotary - this one did re-start, and boy was it noisy!

post-10195-0-34497700-1440705348_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-81057400-1440705401.jpg

• Like 19

Interesting day in prospect tomorrow. The Ratty has a Centenary Weekend Celebration of the gauge change from 3 feet to 15 inches, so there are a number of visiting locos. I have to take a Derwent Railway Society display stand up to Dalegarth, so will put it on an early train, then spend some time with the stand at Dalegarth, and also watching the trains, before returning to Ravenglass and checking out the goings-on there. Just hoping that the weather is going to be OK, as it has been very windy today, and more wind is likely tomorrow.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

After a long week with a trip to Colchester and trying to fit five day's work into two, (Well almost, as I have to work over the weekend to really catch up), it's a POETF for me.

Off to play at Dean Wood GC tomorrow as our golf committee day out. Then back to the club for a steak dinner!

For those that can - enjoy POETS day.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Well turning Thursday into Friday was quite effectve - in fact Waitrose in the Oxford Road was amazingly empty, seems the Pestival had frightened folk away.  Cow Lane/Portman Road was a different kettle of fish and it's interesting to see how Reading Festival has changed - shuttle 'buses from the station well loaded (much less than a mile to walk, that always used to be the idea I thought), and NatExpress coaches turning up by the, er, coach load (we passed 5 in 200 yards) plus 'Festival car parks' just about everywhere and according to laddo there's even a river 'bus running from Reading Bridge.  Lots of crowds about but all lloking cheery notwithstanding some very muddy wellies already.

And once we got over Caversham Bridge (no traffic queue heading away from Reading) we found Caversham another traffic desert - Church St was virtually empty so clearly lots of locals and local traffic are keeping well away.

Anyway g'night all.

• Like 16

Evening all,

Neil((NHN), those lovely images have just 'topped off' my day superbly - excellent camera work as usual Neil. The MV might have been quiet, but it sure is beautiful! I always felt the Norton rotary cheated as, if you know how the Wankel system works, the 'swept volume (the way in which an engine's ccs are calculated) would equate to around 860cc from memory, giving it quite a power advantage over the conventional piston driven engine running in the same class. Anyone wishing to delve deeper in to the technology is welcome to PM me. Thanks again my friend, I could almost smell the Castrol R!

The Clacton Air Show went ahead, obviously adhering to the new guidelines, although the Red Arrows still make several solo passes over the town at little over rooftop height. The rest of the display, as Rick mentioned, is held mainly over the water.The weather stayed dry, although the Sun didn't really appear until it was nearly all over. The variety of types was good, and little Freddie was treated to his first close up air show visit. I suspect he will want to go again and he enjoyed his first view of a Chinook, and some really great manoeuvres from the venerable Flying Fortress 'SallyB'. The highlight was of course the Vulcan, putting on the usual accomplished display, and ensuring that the crowd were treated to that scary induction roar that the particular aircraft is famous for. I felt really sad to think that I won't see it flying in anger again! (For those unaware, XH558 will be grounded at the end of the current air show season. Possible fatigue and safety issues being cited as reasons.) There is a good Vulcan web-site if you just google its number, or the word Vulcan. Tomorrow should see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, which I love. I have left the programme downstairs, so I'm not sure what else is flying, but I've seen my favourite! To finish with aircraft for the moment, Richard's post referring to the Shoreham disaster was very clear and concise, and no pilot would continue a loop manoeuvre having suffered a 'flame out' at the top - don't know where the media found that "expert"!

Must get some sleep soon as I'm visiting Dracula's daughter early tomorrow, followed by taking Archie for his fortnightly bath and trim. Hope it turns out to be Poet's day for all to whom it matters,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 19

Is this new fangled solid state disk drives like core store? No visible moving parts but proof against a nuclear arms emp????

Baz

I sort of preferred the previous version :)

Anyway, that's a very good question (to which I do not know the answer) but it might be that rotating magnetic media is more EMP resistant than flash memory. The reason I say this is because EMP banjaxes (a technical term) circuits by inducing voltages in conductors in a similar fashion to how a transformer works. If the voltages exceed the breakdown voltage of devices like transistors they become fubard (another technical term) and rendered inoperable.

The rotating magnetic media (disks) don't have any conductors, so the induced voltages should not be a problem for the actual disks. The electronics in the drive would be cc'd (cream crackerd), but the bits stored on the magnetic disks might be OK.

On the other hand, it's possible that the magnetic field produced by the EMP would be so powerful that it erased the information on the actual disks, but my wild guess is that would not happen if there was any magnetic shielding around the drive.

• Like 3

Why are we conjecturing about the effect of EMPs caused by nuclear weapons on rotating magnetic media and flash memory? have I missed something important?

• RMweb Premium

If the voltages exceed the breakdown voltage of devices like transistors they become fubard (another technical term) and rendered inoperable.

Pedant alert:

Shouldn't that be "fubarred"?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Why are we conjecturing about the effect of EMPs caused by nuclear weapons on rotating magnetic media and flash memory? have I missed something important?

Beats me! I was just trying to answer the question :)

• Like 2

Enough of this apocalyptic catastrophe  banter. . . I too recall  core store jargon from my core store,  but, the night is capped and my pit beckons . . .SOOO!

Goodnight Everyone . . . .Sleep well. . . . No, I'm Not inebriated. . . . just  tired and it's bin day tomorrow. . .

P.S. I managed to avoid mucking out the auto by  . . HOUSEWORK. . .

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Talking of bombs, we are now sitting in Wingman Brewers in Tacoma.

Just bought myself a very tactful T shirt.

Bombs on the front and on the back it says 'From Tacoma with love'

Might have to be careful where I wear it.

This brewery is not open earlier in the week so Its the reason why we switched out trip to Tacoma to today. Glad that we did.

You can see a few examples hanging on the wall below

post-1557-0-13940100-1440722425_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-20183000-1440722462_thumb.jpg

Superb beer.Just look at that crack!

EARTHQUAKE.

No not really but one day....

post-1557-0-66046300-1440722949_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

Evening all.  Neil, what is Andy York doing in a hi-viz jacket?

Good news, bad news.  The good news is my friend had his layout up for the first time.  It's called Greenwich Crooms Hill, 7mm set in South London in 1913.  It will be a humdinger when finished.  I'm responsible for the goods stock, and have repaired five wagons tonight.  One open wagon (whitemetal) had been assembled with superglue, unsurprisingly one end had collapsed and has been soldered back together.  I await its return for the other end to be re-assembled.   

The bad news is that I'm treasurer of a charity and we had a trustee meeting tonight.  Our administrator was off sick and I have a feeling its serious.  I may have a lot of work to do in the coming months. 

Bill

• RMweb Gold

This brewery has one of those huge bladed fans that cearte quite a wind.

I was thinking that when you are operating your US locos with bells at full volume that can create mass serial killers, you can also blow away all the other layouts Woodland scenics

• Like 6