The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Shower went wrong again. I ended up replacing the riser rail and shower head (actually very easy - 2 screws). Turns out the new shower head bought yesterday was triggering the back-pressure sensor in the pump and turning it off.

May need another pump at some time in the future. But at least we now have a shiny new shower.

• Like 2

Aberystwyth!  No 1 son was considering the Uni there as one of his possible choices.  My mother, who hails from North Wales, drily commented that he had already lived in one backwater for 18 years, and she didn't recommend him going to a different backwater for another 3!  He went to Sheffield and loved it.  We did visit Aberystwyth for him to look over the place, and it does take a long time to get there from just about anywhere (and living in West Cumbria, that is saying something!).

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 11

We were planning to cross the Cascades on a scenic highway,

That's a pity. It's a lovely drive - when it's open. If it's not closed because of fire it's closed because of snow. (They don't try to keep it open in Winter.)

• Like 4

Reporting in, I'm back from delivering "Brockley Green S.E.4." to Clevedon in North Somerset. To a G.W.R. supporter as well!

The 480 mile route trip was not entirely without a little drama, shortly before passing the N.E.C. on the M42, I became away of a drumming noise which I first put down to the road surface. Examination of both front tyres revealed nothing at the next service area. Wheel centres were cool, so not the wheel bearings. I soldiered on and the noise stayed at a low regular drumming. On my return journey, quite close to the spot where the noise had first been heard, it got louder, much louder! This time, it was a closer inspection in the service area car park. A small area of tread displacement was seen on one front tyre and after changing it for the spare, the noise went away.

After a few miles of thinking how this situation had been caused, I realised, I have to park my van, outside my house, with that particular wheel raised by a "speed bump". The van is not there now and it's a new tyre tomorrow!

"How much!!"  

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Jock, I wholeheartedly agree with iD!

re the MGP, I have to work this week :help:  :cry: , and so far we have only had two half sessions of qualifying (both red flagged) due to weather being pants, so not much chance of good photos I'm afraid. I did try tonight, but it was the modern stuff.

Laptops - well, yes it proved they're pants by dying after 4 years, but I really like a full computer on my travels, tablets really annoy me.  I do have a desktop of reasonable power (on it now) and that has a 1Tb remote backup.....much else is not understood by this IT Luddite.  So I think it will be another laptop, unless someone can recommend a tablet that can do everything a cheap to mid price lappy can do - Windaz. Office etc, no Apple stuff please, that would introduce even more grief and lack of understanding!

• RMweb Gold

I have seen Brockley Green a couple of times, the last at Hartlepool I believe. I didn't realise it was owned by a fellow ER.

Whoever the new owner is, they have acquired themselves a damn good layout.

Well folks, my posts of late amount to not much more than goodnight and good wishes to all - and I'm sorry to say today's not gonna be much different, so here it is:

Goodnight All, best wishes for tomorrow and I hope that those of you with ailments and stresses see some improvement as time goes on.

Edited by leopardml2341

Laptops - well, yes it proved they're pants by dying after 4 years, but I really like a full computer on my travels, tablets really annoy me.  I do have a desktop of reasonable power (on it now) and that has a 1Tb remote backup.....much else is not understood by this IT Luddite.  So I think it will be another laptop, unless someone can recommend a tablet that can do everything a cheap to mid price lappy can do - Windaz. Office etc, no Apple stuff please, that would introduce even more grief and lack of understanding!

It does depend a lot on what you need to do while travelling, and a laptop may be your only option. However, you can attach keyboards and mouses (mice?) to tablets and AFIK you can get all the typical Windoze apps to run on them too.

But if you are running great honking spreadsheets and databases, or some heavy duty CAD stuff, you'll probably need a laptop.

I prefer a laptop usually to my tablet but this time in Belgium I couldnt be arsed to carry a laptop. Using my tablet instead the only thing I cannot do is download my DSLR camera. However as the flashcard holds over 1000 photos I can manage. Now with 'clouds' and pc sharing I will never take the laptop again. Simples!

• Like 4

I prefer a laptop usually to my tablet but this time in Belgium I couldnt be arsed to carry a laptop. Using my tablet instead the only thing I cannot do is download my DSLR camera. However as the flashcard holds over 1000 photos I can manage. Now with 'clouds' and pc sharing I will never take the laptop again. Simples!

I recently bought a Nikon "Coolpix" P600. It solves the "connecting to a tablet" problem by creating its own wi-fi network. You can log on to it from any tablet and hoover up the pictures :)

• Like 7

I'm getting ready to do a review visit to a site tomorrow. After reading the previous review documents I've found that many errors that I have spent my evening writing a separate report. Just what I wanted to spend my evening doing. :O  :help:

The pain in my side has diminished and not moved, so I'm fairly sure that it's muscular. :locomotive:

Night all

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from the darkened village.  Many small jobs done and I even got some modelling done this afternoon.  I even got a loco to move 4' further along a branch line than it would last week. The talk tonight was well received and a very pleasant pint was drunk afterwards.  I also prefer a laptop and have a new fangled camera with some form of wifi but haven't yet tried to get them to talk to each other.

Regards to all,

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I recently bought a Nikon "Coolpix" P600. It solves the "connecting to a tablet" problem by creating its own wi-fi network. You can log on to it from any tablet and hoover up the pictures :)

And can also use the tablet as a remote for the camera shutter button.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the brewpub sign is important (well to us anywsy) have a look at the sign that the shopping cart is tied to.

The owner is making use of the facilities in this wonderful brewery. A long time favourite of ours that nearly shut a few years ago but it's still here

post-1557-0-18381200-1440629325_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

BTW, in case anyone should think I'm some sort of 'orrible Luddite (although I suppose I am a bit), the engineering that goes into laptops is quite incredible. The technology in the disk drives is absolutely amazing.  They are little precision jewels that are a credit to the engineers who design and manufacture them.

And that's the point. It's hardly surprising that laptops don't last very long when you consider what they have to endure in terms of heat, vibration and shock. Tablets are a lot more robust simply because they generate a lot less heat, they have far fewer parts, and there are no moving parts.

• Like 1