The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Its taken me an hour to catch up, nearly four pages of ER's in 12 hours. Nice and sunny here this morning but its not going to last, I can hear the wind picking up already.

Perhaps you could make it a feature?

If you are interested in the power of water, take a squint at this lot. We live right on one of the paths it followed, and it was not all that long ago either. The last time was around 15,000 years ago. 

Interestingly that is how the Straights of Dover were formed according to the latest thinking. The North Sea was at one time dry land and most of the rivers such as the Thames and the Rhine joined into one large north flowing river. During an ice age this became blocked by the ice and the area of the North Sea became a huge inland lake. The southern end was blocked by a narrow isthmus consisting mainly of chalk which is a very weak material. This gave way under the pressure of the water behind it scouring out a deep channel on the French side which was evident during the construction of the Channel Tunnel. It is thought that some seismic activity may have contributed to the event as well due to the fracturing of the bedrock, also on the French side.

Morning all. Breezy outside and weather could go either way, as says the forecast. We shall see…

Been meaning to post this last night but the forum seemed to have got stuck somehow… 

I guess it's much in the same vein that during our training shifts, many a time we dropped into this very kind of black humour when encountering reckless behaviour by other road users. I suppose that, too, could well be totally misunderstood by someone outside our line of work, but for us, I figure it has always been a way of expressing exasperation on how anyone could risk their own lives, and possibly those of others, that easily. I'll just mention motorists passing our waiting tram without significantly reducing speed at all (which is illegal), and frankly, as this would have been highly dangerous if passengers had been around, we did arrive at thoughts of whether it might be a cure for such reckless motorists if we tossed an, erm, rubber doll out the door as they passed…

About 40 years ago a new light controlled pedestrian crossing was installed outside my place of work. Very soon after that a colleague of mine (a retired police officer) was waiting to cross the road  behind an elderly lady, the 'green man' lit up and as the lady was about to cross he had to grab her and pull her back as two idiots had tried to beat the lights. However as he did so the lady let go of her shopping bag which 'carried on' and bounced off the screen of the first car. The driver panicked and jammed on his brakes resulting in the second car slamming into his rear. The lady was unhurt if a little shaken, both drivers received bans for dangerous driving and both cars were write off's and their insurances refused to pay out in the circumstances.

X-files time. Posted late last night. Heard the whoosh and shut the cover of my iPad. Opened it this morning to see the green dots and the posting still being posted.

I had similar troubles last night and I thought I had lost my post, thank god for autosave.

• Like 9

Morning all.

Happy Birthday John.

My next project has been assigned. 18 months in the city. Thank feck. A better class of asshats and douchecanoes to deal with. But first 12 1/2 more days of hell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Happy Birthday John.

My next project has been assigned. 18 months in the city. Thank feck. A better class of asshats and douchecanoes to deal with. But first 12 1/2 more days of hell.

Will you have to be physically present in the "City" or will you have high speed pigeon post to work remotely?

Happy birthday John.

There's nothing wrong with cake for breakfast... I've been to France and they seem to thrive on that sort of thing. My birthday cake a couple of weeks back came from Tesco. 99p reduced from £7something. Spongebob Squarepants. Tasty too. I'm very easy to please.

Steph baked mine on Sunday when she thought I wasn't looking. She's very good at cakes.

• Like 15

About 40 years ago a new light controlled pedestrian crossing was installed outside my place of work. Very soon after that a colleague of mine (a retired police officer) was waiting to cross the road  behind an elderly lady, the 'green man' lit up and as the lady was about to cross he had to grab her and pull her back as two idiots had tried to beat the lights. However as he did so the lady let go of her shopping bag which 'carried on' and bounced off the screen of the first car. The driver panicked and jammed on his brakes resulting in the second car slamming into his rear. The lady was unhurt if a little shaken, both drivers received bans for dangerous driving and both cars were write off's and their insurances refused to pay out in the circumstances.

One evening after dark some years ago, Liz and I waited at a zebra crossing, and, when a car stopped, started across. The car behind appeared to have stopped too, but suddenly pulled out and roared past a yard in front of us. Judging by the leer on the face of the front seat passenger, this was a huge joke to the car's occupants. We were too shaken to think of getting the number and asking the driver of the first car if he'd give us his name and number to pass on to the police as a witness. We could only hope that the other driver would do something stupid enough to get him banned without injuring or killing someone in the process.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy birthday John, happy hols Baz, happy cutting Bob.

It's been clear for a couple of days that the Shoreham site wouldn't be returned to anything like normal for quite a while - especially as the AAIB has still to recover all the smaller parts and there is an awful lot of forensic work needed.  Alas these things tend to run on for a long time when fire is involved as it creates a lot of additional forensic challenges - after the Taunton sleeper fire the forensic and property search work carried on for almost two weeks but no effect elsewhere as the vehicles involved were secreted out of public view.  Incidentally a friend of ours who was at the show only had to queue in his for a couple of hours before being able to get out of the airshow car park and thought that part of things was well organised in view of everything which was going on (he lived too far away to get home except in his own car).

The bit about waiting for a Doctor to certify death at the scene was something I found out on my first fatal incident - the victim was in a coffin but as the Police Sergeant explained, if he isn't certified dead at the scene it's a whole lot more paperwork, this way is a lot simpler.  And I really do wonder about trauma counselling - I have found the black humour thing to be far more relieving of any feelings as it involves those who understand and have experienced such things while even a chat over a glass or two with a good friend who really knows you can be a big help, not like talking to a total stranger with no experience of either you or such events.

And so to brighter things - we're forecast more rain.  This is having an excellent effect on the lawn which is looking greener and growing better than it has done for months, only trouble is that it will need cutting once it is dry enough.

Have a good day folks. 

Anywas

• Like 7

Can we fix it? I thought that under the Scots system it was advisable to have surveys and preliminary legal work done before making an offer on the grounds that the offer was a contract?

Ed

The purchase is agreed "subject to searches" etc. Under the Scottish system now we have compulsory home reports as part of the seller's responsibility. The formal offer was made through the solicitors, so it's being handled in the normal way - the unusual bit was that despite it being on the Scottish sealed bids "offers over / in the region of / in excess of" system, they are keen to sell as quickly as possible so have effectively closed the offers with GF's offer. Most unusual.

Will you have to be physically present in the "City" or will you have high speed pigeon post to work remotely?

Steph baked mine on Sunday when she thought I wasn't looking. She's very good at cakes.

Unfortunate non sequitur there. I was thinking of baked pigeon...

One evening after dark some years ago, Liz and I waited at a zebra crossing, and, when a car stopped, started across. The car behind appeared to have stopped too, but suddenly pulled out and roared past a yard in front of us. Judging by the leer on the face of the front seat passenger, this was a huge joke to the car's occupants. We were too shaken to think of getting the number and asking the driver of the first car if he'd give us his name and number to pass on to the police as a witness. We could only hope that the other driver would do something stupid enough to get him banned without injuring or killing someone in the process.

Years ago I had stopped at a zebra crossing (in my week old car) and was rammed from behind by a land rover.

It shunted me across most of the width of the crossing.

A blooming miracle that there were no injuries (although I came close to inflicting some on the culprit).

The purchase is agreed "subject to searches" etc. Under the Scottish system now we have compulsory home reports as part of the seller's responsibility. The formal offer was made through the solicitors, so it's being handled in the normal way - the unusual bit was that despite it being on the Scottish sealed bids "offers over / in the region of / in excess of" system, they are keen to sell as quickly as possible so have effectively closed the offers with GF's offer. Most unusual.

Thanks Mike, that's interesting. I remember my Dad telling me about the "Scots system" many years later (we bought in Dumfries in 65 and sold in 68).

You will be aware that we English did try to get surveys as part of a "seller's pack" and a friend of mine spent quite a lot of money training to be a surveyor. Of course we ended up with a dog's breakfast and we must have "energy reports" but, AFAIAA nowt else.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

The bit about waiting for a Doctor to certify death at the scene was something I found out on my first fatal incident - the victim was in a coffin but as the Police Sergeant explained, if he isn't certified dead at the scene it's a whole lot more paperwork, this way is a lot simpler.  And I really do wonder about trauma counselling - I have found the black humour thing to be far more relieving of any feelings as it involves those who understand and have experienced such things while even a chat over a glass or two with a good friend who really knows you can be a big help, not like talking to a total stranger with no experience of either you or such events.

Anywas

I believe that the rules about certification of death were relaxed in about 1990 and you didn't need a doctor if certain parts were separated (I won't go into too much detail). I was also able to use a paramedic who tried and failed to find a pulse in someone with two gunshot wounds in his chest, that also speeded the process up considerably at 3am on the morning after Boxing day.

Anyway onto more cheery things.  The village is bathed in sunshine and I've already managed to do a tip run, a trip to the bank and removed some pallets that were being complained about by taking them to a pallet dealer.  I can just afford a pint of Sam Smth's dark mild at the pub next door with the proceeds.  Hopefully I will get some other things done this afternoon and then a bit of modelling.

Mike I hope the purchase goes well. It sounds very like the French system.

Jock I wish you well today

Jamie

• Like 14

Actually, it's turning into quite a good day, for us at any rate.

The shower was fixed for £25 instead of the £200 + £108ph that I expected, and Daisy and Rose are coming round to see us.

Elsewhere, The Pandemonium is calming down a little, and the world still seems a harsh and arbitrary place. But then it always was.

• Like 4

Happy Birthday John,

Congratulations Dom.

Uneventful here yesterday, save for an evening dinner with 4 others on the project, three of whom seem to be able to eat and drink their way into oblivion all too easily!

Already rather stickier than I'd like, but improving later supposedly! 22 as we drove in with a high of 30 forecast.

Onward and upward with more report writing and database "activities", such fun. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Tipping down here. Tigger wisely spent very little time out this morning. It's not too warm either and last evening I had to put a second layer on as it was feeling rather autumnal.

Mrs mole's relationship is now over following major problems at the weekend. I thought it would end in tears but not as quickly. She's a bit upset and doesn't want to be at her trailer on her own so is camping out on the sofa here for a while.

Well done on your pass Dom.

Today's shopping run will be to Southampton centre, possibly to pick up the GW Journal if it's about.

Have a good day, say dry.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Dom for getting through the training.

Happy birthday John

Keep counting down Andrew. Hopefully we can resume our weekday evening meet ups in various hostelries in London

Sun coming up here in Portland.

Had a good day at a Union pacifics Albina yard.

Today we have a tour around the MAX light rail depot then we are touting BNSFs Vancouver WA yard.

post-1557-0-63575600-1440508164_thumb.jpg

• Like 14