The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

So, BBC2 at 21:00 tonight looks interesting;  a 2-part program about Mumbai's Chhatrapati terminus; dubbed one of the world's busiest stations.

To put it in context rumour has it that Chhatrapati station has almost as many loco movements as the average OO GWR BLT!   :no:

Part 2 is on tomorrow evening, same time, same place. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You may remember I posted a pic of a tree down in Bangor a couple of weeks ago.

post-14049-0-54419300-1440423725.jpg

This is the hole it left as seen this morning.

post-14049-0-93877100-1440424163.jpg

There was still a traffic jam but, this time, it was due to traffic lights for work being carried out by Scottish Power.

Saturday, the A55 at the junction for West Shore was down to single lane operation for work on the expressway lights.  Fortunately, we missed the (almost at standstill) traffic jam that had built up later in the day. 

It doesn't endear you to go anywhere, does it?

• RMweb Premium

nearly walked headlong into Billy Connolly who was coming round the corner from the other direction!

Did you say hello for me, Mike - I knew Billy quite well in his Humblebums days when I used to run the folk nights at Strathclyde Uni and often booked him and Gerry - it was about the time that Gerry was finding his creativity stifled by Billy's comedy, and Billy's jokes were becoming a lot more of the act than the songs.

Afternoon All

Well, I'm caught up yet again, after this morning's brief foray into the fun filled world of ERs.  AS lot more sense being talked here abut Shoreham than probably anywhere else out there that I have read - though I'm sure that there are some aviation forums where those with more knowledge that we are debating things with a degree of sense and decorum.  Until we know what has happened, it is far far safer not to speculate, and that of course is what most of us on here have done both with this accident, and with others which are more within our field of expertise on the railways.  Long may this continue as far as this forum is concerned.

As usual, generic greetings are offered to those ailing and conrats to those celebrating.

Today has been a real curate's egg for me, as I really wanted to have a quiet day at home but a large list of "to do" jobs all of which needed yet another trip to town reared their heads, and another exposure to the late running and unreliable buses provided round here was on offer.  However, a breakfast in town did mean I didn't need to do any cooking this morning, other than to work the toaster. 

No pictures of the Leipzig tram system for a couple of days - I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms here - seriously, I do enjoy Dominik's posts and pictures of his driving lessons.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13

Both of those sound interesting!

There are a number of Yeadon's LNER register hardcovers in the discount bookshop across the road from work - Raven/Thompson/Peppercorn Pacifics, K1/K2, K3/K4, A4, a couple of J class books and (I think) P class. They're at £9.95 each and I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a couple of them...

Having just been in that shop at lunchtime today, I turned a corner in the shopping centre and nearly walked headlong into Billy Connolly who was coming round the corner from the other direction!

Afternoon all. I have lost count of the number of times I have dithered over buying stuff only to find that it had gone when I finally decided to buy it, so my advice is if you think it is a bargain go for it. At that price you could probably read them and sell them on to get your money back.

Stay safe all.

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't endear you to go anywhere, does it?

Not really, Polly, but that's the British road system for you...

I try at all times to avoid main roads with pinch points on them, and Motorways at all times unless absolutely necessary.  I think that many UK drivers are like lemmings, and will stick, come what may, to their usual routes.  I once knew a guy who drove frequently from London to West Scotland, but who insisted on using the M25/M1/A1/M8, and was aghast when I suggested that the M40/M5/M6/M74 would probably save him an hour or so - this when the M40 had just opened throughout, and was a fairly quiet option.

• Like 11

I shall be off the air tomorrow and most of Wednesday as I'm going south. The other week I sold my EM layout "Brockley Green S.E.4."

post-276-0-25595900-1440427514.jpg

and tomorrow I journey to Somerset to deliver it to it's new owner.

The weather looks damp to put it mildly but a man's got to do what a man's got to do.    

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 5

I remember the first fatality I was involved with on the railway and I learnt some interesting and useful things from the (civil) police who were well used to attending fatal incidents however that particular night was as much one of black comedy as anything else and far removed from a major fire incident (although I was also involved with one of those).  For anyone involved in clearing up and assessing what has taken place it is not a nice job at all and they always have my deepest sympathy and an understanding that things cannot be rushed.

There will be many who (understandably) find the 'black comedy' or 'sick humour' used by some emergency services staff in the aftermath of tragedies as distasteful, but it is a coping mechanism, and not intended to be irreverent or disrespectful - some may disagree, but many of those who have dealt with tragedy will know what I mean.

TRIM and other forms of counselling are still relatively new to some emergency services.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

There will be many who (understandably) find the 'black comedy' or 'sick humour' used by some emergency services staff in the aftermath of tragedies as distasteful, but it is a coping mechanism, and not intended to be irreverent or disrespectful - some may disagree, but many of those who have dealt with tragedy will know what I mean.

TRIM and other forms of counselling are still relatively new to some emergency services.

Brian R

It does tend to remain only amongst themselves, Brian. If anyone needs counseling then they’re doing the wrong thing.

Just my opinion....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I joined the Police in 1973 I had never seen a dead body but had helped to pick up quite a few caving and rock climbing casualties with no ill effects.  However the black humour , but in a closed situation, is a coping mechanism.  It was certainly encouraged by good supervisors in my early years then PC started to creep in and it was discouraged.  However it came back in the form of hot stress de briefs later as a result of various bits of research and in our case the appointment of a force psychologist who started after the Bradford City Fire.   Fortunately I've never suffered particularly though there was one incident in the 90's that was a bit traumatic partly due to one of the victims looking very like my then 10 year old daughter.   I just hope that the supervision in the Shoreham area apply a 'light touch' and et things take their course.  If they do there will be fewer things to deal with later, which I know can happen if things are bottled up.  

I wouldn't want the professionals involved there to be descended on by an army of well meaning counsellors, but I would hope that if anyone did need someone to talk to there was a sympathetic ear available.

However the thing to remember is that the people involved will be professionals and that they will take pride in doing a good job that hopefully will remain with them for the rest of their service.  The incident in the 90's that I referred to was one of the most interesting jobs that I ever dealt with in my career and the bit that I remember best about it is the satisfaction that I got when posthumous George Medals were awarded to two of the victims, after I had had a row with a senior officer about the language of my recommendations for awards.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

Sounds very much like Tillamook, OR

Indeed it was. No prize, though (we didn't buy any cheese). I'm still trying to process the experience - fabulous scenery, great weather, and people go into a cheese factory to stand in long lines to buy stuff you can get in any supermarket round about? Much head-shaking as we drove away to look for SD9s.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The Shoreham horror continues to increase in scope. Rescuers must be having a harrowing time of it. Ripples from this awful event will spread, I suspect.

I am certainly of the view that black humour has its place in stress-relief, but there are limits. In the wake of - i.e. about a week later - the Kings Cross fire in the late '80s, I was in a model shop in Pentonville Road. Someone wandered in and asked for directions to Kings Cross. The response pointed them down the hill "and look for the smoke". Less than rib-tickling, really. OTOH I'm very cynical about counselling. The idea that someone - anyone - could sit across a desk from me and tell me how to re-assemble my mind after trauma simply doesn't fit with the "me" that I think I know. Last year I asked a psychologist friend about counselling and got a textbook answer, not a justification. Sherry tells me that some sort of Regulator has placed some sort of ban on certain aerobatics. Could he/she do otherwise?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave (Torr Gifford)  hasn't been active since 10th August and his last post seemed to indicate that all was going as well as could be expected.

Have I missed something?

I hope all is well.

Indeed it was. No prize, though (we didn't buy any cheese). I'm still trying to process the experience - fabulous scenery, great weather, and people go into a cheese factory to stand in long lines to buy stuff you can get in any supermarket round about? Much head-shaking as we drove away to look for SD9s.

I don't think we bought anything either, but the operation of the factory process was interesting if not exactly riveting. It's a bit like going to Wall Drug.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I recall about 35 years ago when I went to an air show at Biggin Hill. We had just got onto the airfield when all hell broke loose. A helicopter doing rides had taken off and collided with an incoming Tiger Moth, the Tiger Moth managed to land minus its undercarriage but the helicopter had dropped like a stone killing all on board, about 8 or 9 persons. What made it a bit more frightening, having seen the helicopter doing its 'bumps and turns' as we queued to get in my brother and myself had decided to take a ride on the helicopter. :O  My niece as I said is a paramedic in Brighton but is not involved with the clean up after the disaster, thats the job of the forensic teams from the police and the RAF. Since then I have never felt inclined to travel in a helicopter.

Since then I have never felt inclined to travel in a helicopter.

My one and only jellychopper ride was at night in the BA one that went between Heathrow and Gatwick. I can't say enjoyed it. I seem to remember wondering what the gearing system to reduce the turbine speed actually looked like. Did they use gigantic Romford worm gears?

• Like 7

An interesting day in many ways. And the van got a good wash during torrential rain.

From experience, black humour amongst those involved is an excellent coping mechanism. I have for one event had counselling which was useful due to the fact that they had previously been on the other side.

My one and only jellychopper ride was at night in the BA one that went between Heathrow and Gatwick. I can't say enjoyed it. I seem to remember wondering what the gearing system to reduce the turbine speed actually looked like. Did they use gigantic Romford worm gears?

No, it's just a loop of knotted string around the free power turbine shaft, that then runs round a pit head winding wheel to get the reduction, and a few bits of line shafting to the rotors. Or possibly the most exquisitely cut gear sets in the lightest alloy imaginable, in an intercooled forced lubrication system that is monitored within an inch of its life for particulate build up. ;-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's been quite a lot of rain today down here in the far south east corner. I've seen quite a bit of rain over the years (including typhoons when in Japan and Korea) but was quite amazed at the result of some of todays rain around the garden railway - I've never seen so much scouring on one of the flower beds that is adjacent to the track:

post-586-0-62419900-1440448613.jpg

post-586-0-77788600-1440448658.jpg

Reminds me of some pictures of mud slides that I had seen in Japan following some heavy rain. Did not think I would see it here. Nature certainly can be a dangerous adversary..

Keith

• Like 7

...  Alison's ex is bringing the kids back today. They have been gone a month, much the longest stay away since the split. As he has a history of being aggressive on handing them back - recall the occasion when Alison had to call the gendarmes, who read the court judgement and ordered him off the property he co-owns! - Sherry & I will be in attendance to enable fair play  ...

Of course you and Sherry would, Ian.

Well done.

• RMweb Premium

Evening. 

Laptop appears to be bo££ocksed, rescue discs etc having no effect at all other than whizzing around for a while. Damn.  Quite ruined my weekend.

Dom's trams are a funny thing for me - I love old trams, all varnish, grinding gears and ozone, but modern trams usually leave me cold.  Then Dom started posting his pictures, and......I want to go to Leipzig and see them!

Hope Dave and Is are OK too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just watched The World's Busiest Railway - stark raving bonkers, brilliant and fascinating all at the same time!

However the sad thing is that apparently 9 people die on the railway every day.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2