The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

The weather seems to have improved again, a ltitle bit, this morning.  We have blue sky, and morning mist in the forest.  The temperature is supposed to get up to around 26°C today which should be quite pleasant.  Yesterday afternoon, we had rain at the office, but at home was completely dry.

News from yesterday is that my boss has scheduled a "teambuilding" session for everyone in November.  It is some sort of activity (he doesn't want to tell us because that will spoil the surprise :scratchhead: )  which involves an overnight stay somewhere.

Apparently, the enthusiasm of my colleagues was less than he expected, and so it has now been made compulsory.  I would just like to know what I am letting myself in for!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is supposed to get warmer and less cloudy later. Aditi is off to work today, even though she is on holiday as more information has been requested by the inspectors. At least she can travel in after the rush hour.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry here and after a cloudy start should be a warm day with sunny spells later.

Andy - I agree about cabs leaving engines running for ages. Of course it wouldn't be so bad if the people who booked the things were actually ready when they arrived. The other thing that gets me is people being dropped off in the early hours of the morning bellowing "Goodbye, See you later, Love you," etc etc umpteen times at the top of their voices.

Although The Boss is off today we've got an earlyish start as Gemma has decided she wants to spend the day with us so will need collecting. Also  need to do some more shopping as we've got "a bit of a do" here tomorrow -partly to celebrate Abbie's success. (Thank you all for the good wishes and likes for that) Son Steve has to bring his cheque book as a little while ago (after a few drinks) he promised his niece a reward per pass. (£50 per A, £30 per B and £20 per C)  By my calculations that will cost him £270. He can count himself a bit lucky as she was hoping for a couple more As!

Hopefully later (if time and domestic stuff allow)  I will be able to place an order for timber for a certain project. :onthequiet:

Have a good day, one and all,

Bob.

• Like 4

With our ride having been 1322 "Möckern", we spent a rather nice day riding out to those places everyone of our number wanted to refresh their knowledge of. Thus, we first went to Knautkleeberg at the southern end of Line 3. During the early afternoon, there was a phase when it seemed like most anyone waiting at the stops en route had suddenly forgot the meaning of "Fahrschule" being that no passengers may board, which is something that has happened repeatedly during the past few weeks!

And heck, even I know what "Kein Zustieg" means, Dom!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, Gordon. We have often found ourselves wondering just why so many people do not at all seem to make this leap of reasoning that if you see any unusual signage on a tram, it might be worth paying close attention to what it says as it just might be important. Or, as this has also happened at densely frequented stops such as Central Station where all but three lines call at, that there seem to be awfully many gamblers indeed who obviously don't care whether they actually board the line that'll bring them to their destination…

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Our train was late last night, a little more than it normally is but we were lucky as there was a trespass some where and then a broken down train at Redhill meant trains from London were either cancelled or not stopping at Redhill. Last train out of London Bridge last night was cancelled and no information bring given out to those waiting for it apparently. The person who runs our local users page has now resigned from his job in London partly due to the state of services.

However this morning our train is cancelled (problem with the braking system at Arundel) so we go and stand where the shorter Thameslink doors normally stop but it stops where the doors for our cancelled train stops do we are last on! Sod's law that is as it's not done that before.

Oh we.l last day commuting but we still have to get to Heathrow tomorrow so it's at least one train earlier than we would normally go for just in case.

The Southern 377s seem to be getting quite a lot of door problems where one unit in a train won't open the doors or will automatically shut them after being opened. Mainly happens at London Bridge and can be the front 4 or rear 4 but not the whole train. Has happened at Purley this week as well.

At least it making us look even more forward to getting away from Lonfon.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny village, at the moment.   One or two minor admin jobs to do before setting off to the chapel to try and get the single slip sorted.  For some reason I had a restless night and don't feel like tacking the rats nest of wires but have to get it done.   Hopefully by the afternoon I will be running trains.

One or two topics have surfaced over the past day or two.  I have also had some very happy holidays in the south of France.  There was one beach near Agay where I could swim, watch the talent on the beach and we were near enough to the railway for me to bob my head up and get loco numbers as the trains rolled by.   One of my sons taught himself to swim in that bay aged 7 and went on to become a champion swimmer at his school.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Grumble, mumble...

I may be some time.

Well, at least you shouldn't need that slimming world leaflet.

This week.

Morning all

Unforecast rain earlier has cleared up quite nicely so I'm off for my daily constitutional, which has become less daily of late. I must force myself back into some sort of routine.

Jock: I turned the camera over to the grandson yesterday so pics may need some tweaking first.

• Like 12

The Southern 377s seem to be getting quite a lot of door problems where one unit in a train won't open the doors or will automatically shut them after being opened. Mainly happens at London Bridge and can be the front 4 or rear 4 but not the whole train.

Sounds like its an SDO (selective door operation) issue where, generally rear, doors in a consist remain closed at short platforms and open at longer ones - well that's the theory!

• RMweb Premium

Very true. Didn't take as long as I thought, but I did get eldest to help. Thrilled he was, too (not).

500 free papers safely delivered, although if I'm honest, I'm a bit scared of the lady in the laundrette. She keeps inviting me out the back for a cup of tea "or something"...

Well at least is was tea and not 'Cocoa'

Jamie

(Proper) Morning All this time.

Dog is still sleeping, quelle surprise, though curiosity got the better of him when I put laundry in washing machine. He followed me only to discover his option was the garden, he turned around and went back to his bed.

I'm drinking tea, then he will be forced to go for a walk, like it or not! :)

Happy POETS day for those to whom it applies, happy Friday to the rest o' yer. :)

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like its an SDO (selective door operation) issue where, generally rear, doors in a consist remain closed at short platforms and open at longer ones - well that's the theory!

Its sometimes the front unit at London Bridge (at the bufferstops) but normally the rear unit on arrival. Other times the doors open but then automatically shut and lock whilst the train is sitting there after the doors having opened.

In the past we have had problems with the selective doors not opening at the rear of the train or not at all but this does seem to be a slightly different issue of late and not just confined to London Bridge either.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is supposed to get warmer and less cloudy later. Aditi is off to work today, even though she is on holiday as more information has been requested by the inspectors. At least she can travel in after the rush hour.

Tony

And what would have happened if you had been somewhere like Norway on holiday?

• Like 1

Sounds like kidnapping and false imprisonment to me.

• Like 1

Yesterday was fatiguing on a couple of levels. There was the funeral of a very dear friend. There was an information dump in multiple sealed envelopes left in the late friend's charge, released to me consequent on that funeral.  The information dump was 'all the missing pieces' of a long term jigsaw. I now have enough plot material - with names suitably changed - to author something Tom Sharpe would be proud of.

It will never get written. But at least I can close a whole heap of open questions with tactful answers for any future reference.  I never cease to be amazed at the bizarre byways of human nature.

...She keeps inviting me out the back for a cup of tea "or something"...

Her name isn't Enid is it? The first real job I ever had (while off school on summer break) was in a large retail establishment. There was an extremely predatory woman who used to grab we teens and give us compulsory snogging and fumbling round the back of the cold stores. It was brutal I tell ya. When I came back the following summer, there was no informal sex-ed. She had married a bloke who ran a chain of launderettes was the story...

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the latest pictures of Leipzig's tram system, I am minded to suggest that all the people who try to get on a Fahrschule badged tram are all so enamoured with the system that they all want to become drivers!

The devil in me thinks that once Dom has ripped up his L plates, then, having already sent us all the pictures of the trams and their stops, we will be getting pictures of all the passengers in his tram......................Especially the pretty ones! :angel:

• Like 8

Its sometimes the front unit at London Bridge (at the bufferstops) but normally the rear unit on arrival. Other times the doors open but then automatically shut and lock whilst the train is sitting there after the doors having opened.

In the past we have had problems with the selective doors not opening at the rear of the train or not at all but this does seem to be a slightly different issue of late and not just confined to London Bridge either.

One word - software!

Morning all from the Marie Celeste Scottish HQ.  Our team actually appears to be the only one in the room with more than a token attendance.

Thanks all for the suggestions yesterday on the database / spreadsheet question.  Jock - thanks for the link to that software.  I had a look, but it seems to be Windows-exclusive and my home machines are Macs (I do have to use Windows at work so I'm "bilingual") so that one won't suit me.  Looks like I should just spend a bit of time making my spreadsheets look nicer then!  Maybe even try to work out how to do pivot tables...

Not much chance of a POETS day here as one of my colleagues is leaving and her leaving drinks are in the diary for 5-7 tonight...  I think I'll try to go for a lunchtime run though as my training has been sorely lacking this week.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I'm not sure about Dom taking pics of passengers - I reckon he's more likely to become an Instructor so he can get pics at every single turning place and siding on the network at regular intervals.

Herself has just set off to Windsor to meet a Canadian lady who is in the same online quiz team - they've met before so that should be a simple task, probably.  And I'm not under orders today so taht might be useful although I've not decided what for.

Have a good day folks.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning rather belatedly from Estuary-Land.

Yesterday was fatiguing on a couple of levels. There was the funeral of a very dear friend. There was an information dump in multiple sealed envelopes left in the late friend's charge, released to me consequent on that funeral.  The information dump was 'all the missing pieces' of a long term jigsaw. I now have enough plot material - with names suitably changed - to author something Tom Sharpe would be proud of.

Another Tom Sharpe fan, as TS is no longer with us I would strongly recommend Carl Hiassen. The same sort of mad characters, the same wacky situations and the villains usually get the same excruciatingly painful comeuppance.

Having seen the latest pictures of Leipzig's tram system, I am minded to suggest that all the people who try to get on a Fahrschule badged tram are all so enamoured with the system that they all want to become drivers!

The devil in me thinks that once Dom has ripped up his L plates, then, having already sent us all the pictures of the trams and their stops, we will be getting pictures of all the passengers in his tram......................Especially the pretty ones! :angel:

One word - software!

Your not referring to Hippo's remarks above by any chance? :jester:

Evening all,

Geoff/Gordon, thanks for highlighting the Osprey site - it flew off the moment I looked in, but a subsequent visit saw two landing on. What a beautiful bird. I don't know if you are both old enough to remember how the Scottish RSPB had to guard the nest site at Boat of Garten, where this beautiful creature first re-colonised in the UK. I did a couple of cold damp shifts on that site!

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all, sweet dreams!

Jock,

Maybe you knew my cousin, Michael (Mike) Everett? He worked for the RSPB - that site was one of his briefs when he was Edinburgh based (at the time there were a grand total of two RSPB employees in Scotland).. He wrote several books on Birds of Prey (including Owls). Later he was a senior guy at Sandy before retiring...

Thanks for your thoughts, her car ended being sighted on CBS - when I drove it yesterday (after clearing out about a cubic yard of debris wedged between bodywork and radiator) even the check engine light went off... I took it to our local guru and after connecting to diagnosis was proved OK although the tickover was strangely variable.

Best, Pete.

• Like 12

Not much chance of a POETS day here as one of my colleagues is leaving and her leaving drinks are in the diary for 5-7 tonight...  I think I'll try to go for a lunchtime run though as my training has been sorely lacking this week.

1 pint beer - 200 calories - 20 minutes running?

Good Luck Mike :)