The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Has Mike repelled any pirates yet?

When is he home? Last I saw “Patricia” was headed to Mevagissy (sic). I haven’t looked for a couple of days, however.

Tony can you give me a run down on partisan activity during WW2 in your neck of the woods in Slovenia?

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

Back from a very pleasant twenty mile bike ride with Steph. Enough hills to exercise the lungs and legs, splendid views and a nice downhill finish. Not content with that, Steph went off to the beach for a swim. No sun but quite bright and just a gentle breeze. 

Now it's time to start getting ready for the next lot of visitors.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Is she going to run a marathon now?

Ed

• Like 8

A'noon.

Been splitting wood since 9am.  To say I'm knackered now is somewhat of an understatement!  Still, that's most of the winter's fuel in and ready now, unless it's a particularly bad season.  Nothing seasoning for next year though, supplies are a bit thin but we do have two trees to drop at Groudle so will have a share of them.

Beer is the answer Neil. ☺

“It’s the real thing....”

Funny, I’ve been to Bogota, Colombia but never visited Columbia - unless it is part of DC........

Best, Pete.

It exists, Pete - I live in the British part of it. However, as far as I know, we only have one banana farm, so I don't know we can supply all those bananas.

It exists, Pete - I live in the British part of it. However, as far as I know, we only have one banana farm, so I don't know we can supply all those bananas.

I thought the major cash crop up there was a large weedy plant with claimed medicinal properties. Mind you, I understand the state to my left is thinking about changing its name to New Hempshire.

• Like 4

Mind you, I understand the state to my left is thinking about changing its name to New Hempshire.

Lots of immigrants from Kelvinside, then?

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening All

Again caught up, but late in the day. 

Great that there is a lot of positive news here, particularly as regards major ailments and conditions, and I'm sure that the less major ones will soon disappear. 

To those who need/deserve them, as usual generic greetings, and I have read and rated each and every post since last night.

Trip to Penrith finally took place on Friday, and Spam fritter duly consumed - by heck that's a good chippy which I highly recommend - it's in Angel Lane in the town centre. 

Yesterday was the inevitable trip to town as I needed a haircut, and today we visited a local garden (Gresgarth Hall) which opens to the public every month, but which we can now visit under our Historic Houses Association membership.  It is less than a mile from our home, and has been opening for many years, but for some reason we never visited before, which was probably a mistake, as the grounds are extensive and beatifully laid out and planted.

Still no final date for the operation, though....

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Something is very wrong at the hippodrome this evening!

I am successfully bidding on ebay for various mineral wagons.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer is busy doing the ironing without complaint.

The Pygmy Hippo is outside in the new workshop installing the wall insulation.

Elsa is asleep and is not snoring.

There is something going on, and I'm not sure what it is, but it ain't right!

• Like 13

Last day of the fishing derby and the Chinook trollers are doing some serious trolling.

There are at least eight fishing boats in this shot.

post-25691-0-18561600-1439153442_thumb.jpg

You need some serious kit to catch the little blighters. This gent has his boat on autopilot while he reads his book. The channel is deep at this point and that's where the Chinook like to lurk. Those funny looking crane-like things are used to lower a whopping great weight to the desired depth. The fishing lines from the rods are attached at the weight with a clip that releases the line when a fish strikes the lure.

post-25691-0-12654600-1439153523_thumb.jpg

Don't think these people are fishing. More likely boozing.

post-25691-0-97228800-1439153562_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

DD, now that your short 'sentence' is over, I think that you and Mrs DD are to be congratulated for the kindness and care that you've shown MiL, who after all didn't choose to become ill and is probably blissfully unaware of just how bad her condition is. Your sense of humour certainly must have helped to cope with her, but I can appreciate what a relief it must be that it's over (for now at least!).

SHORT! Short? A romp up Everest is short. The Death Valley Rally is short.

Yes - you're right. It's not her fault (or mine come to that).

And ... I suppose we'd do it again.

The lack of proper rest was the worst part. One eye was always open in case of problems during the night.

This created the danger of face planting my supper as I began to droop.

She is very well liked by all our friends and visitors and is remarkable in a bizarre sort of way.

• RMweb Gold

Has Mike repelled any pirates yet?

When is he home? Last I saw “Patricia” was headed to Mevagissy (sic). I haven’t looked for a couple of days, however.

Tony can you give me a run down on partisan activity during WW2 in your neck of the woods in Slovenia?

Best, Pete.

The most famous one would be Postojna caves. The Germans stored petrol in them. The partisans came in the back way and ignited it. The caves are still stained black. The Slovene Partisans had Italians, Germans and Hungarians to cope with as it was divided 3 ways after 1941. The Slovenian resistance were committed to a communist Slovenian state within Yugoslavia.

The display at Tito's residence was actually a giant mural. Most of the events on it were not in Slovenia, but in other parts of Yugoslavia.

Tony

Evening all. I hope your day and weekend has been a good one. The three cats are now back in residence after we collected them from the inlaws this afternoon. It is like they have never been away with all three straight back into their usual routine. One is already clawing the door wanting to go out whilst another has found her spot on the bed.

All cases are now unpacked and the cases themselves stored away for another year. The school summer holidays still have four weeks to run so hopefully I can get some railway modelling done. I keep looking out the window and casting envious eyes at the garden, the perfect size for a railway!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

another good game today - could have gone either way but in the end the visitors Doncaster Town beat Sheffield Utd.

Polo shirt order today - result = burnt to a crisp!
Great teas and nice teams - umpires only had to count to six and call over..just the way it should be!

Enjoy your sleep everyone.

Baz

• Like 15

Evening all,

A fairly restful day but Joanna and I took Archie the Westie for a nice long walk this afternoon up on the sea-front at Holland on Sea, which is normally quieter than the Clacton Pier area. There was only one parking space on the road however, as the new sea defence measures appear to have worked so far, with lots of sandy beaches available, which is why so many visitors were using them!

Ian(Abel), hope your journey to Long Island wasn't too stressful, despite having to negotiate JFK. Nice images from the lake, but what a nuisance for Mrs A that her enjoyment was spoiled by that dreadful affliction.

Pete(pH), had to give the 'Kelvinside' comment a 'craftsmanship' rating, very droll. Having lived near the other city for a while, it was 'Morningside' that sprang to my mind, or maybe for pretentiousness, what Billy Connolly described as the 'bungalow belt of Edinburgh' - 'Corstorphine' which can be very 'refained'!

John(CB), good to hear that you are safely back home - looking at the West Country forecast, you timed that well.

AndyID, nice pics of the lake, but I have to say that the only 'Chinooks' I'd heard of before tonight were bl**dy big helicopters!

Hard to believe that the time to wish all our commuters a straightforward journey in the morning, has come round so soon. Where did that week go? Duncan, I hope your week is less stressful. I'm rostered for garden duties and if we can, a trip to the vets with Archie who seems to have contracted an ear infection!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 10

Following on from last night's post, I went up to Anfield Plain this morning and spent a few moments at the memorial in the park.

I then went to Tanfield Railway for a cuppa. . . good to see they were quite busy.

Goodnight all . . . Sleep well, and, Thanks for all the "hearts" for last nights post.

John

• Like 10