The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Apparently President Tito liked this hotel but I don't think we have his room. 

Years ago the In Laws arrived thereabouts for their holiday.

They headed into crowds lining the pavements and cheering.

Of course, MiL thought it was for them.

Tito was just behind them.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A muggy morning here in Surrey.

There are roadworks on the A23 just north of the M25/M23 so our bus has been around ten minutes late this week so we have walked. It's exercise and we have managed to dodge any rain.

The Vicroia train was wedged but the Thameslink and ours very quiet on this tube strike day.

Added a couple of decals to two N scale TTX trailer flat cars then masked and painted some black lines on an HO Czech bus kit that's nearing completion.

Hopefully can continue with those when we get home after work.

• Like 11

Years ago the In Laws arrived thereabouts for their holiday.

They headed into crowds lining the pavements and cheering.

Of course, MiL thought it was for them.

Tito was just behind them.

Too weird!

On my first Honeymoon in 1976 we stayed at inlaws Villa in Vale do Lobo on the Algarve. Just down the road Tito arrived for a vacation at the one and only Hotel in town. The little town was full of burly Yugoslavs (the ones wearing dark suits, male and female)......

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

Mornin' all,

Overcast and threatening rain for the 06.30 short anticlock constitutional in The Moorlands. Shame really as my new Lumix digital compact arrived yesterday and I had hoped to trial it. The LF-1 is a lot of camera for £200...around half of the launch price some 3 years ago and quite adequate for my demands.

Is enjoys fresh flowers in the house constantly, I usually fetch them from Sainsburys and arrange them for her in the lounge. I tested the new camera on these instead.....

post-7795-0-99352700-1438846679.jpg

A little experimenting with macro/square frame

post-7795-0-28731900-1438859041.jpg

Is is concerned that her temperature is rising this morning, 37C at the moment, so I'll be keeping an eye on her during the day.....2nd reading half an hour later is 35.7C so we'll be checking again in another half hour in case of a spurious thermometer reading....false alarm (likely spurious reading)...temp now normal again. Once she announced bacon & egg for both of us at lunch then I felt that normal service had resumed.

Now music by Bronski Beat....Smalltown boy

Hi ho, hi ho its off to do the shopping I go.....hospital again this afternoon.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Rick like the earworms. Her indoors wanted to know where they come from?

Kitchen all but complete, stamp of approval from her indoors. A bit of woodwork to fit, tiling to do and then clean and paint.

Might get chance to get some crust earning done today. Could be writing destinations on vans (using a bow pen and ink or white paint.) Then a chunk of weathering.

Have a great Thursday!

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather grey and overcast village.  The boss is getting ready to go to Weight Watchers and I've had yet another attempt to reinstall AutoCAD, still no success, it might be a Windows 10 issue.    Anyway after that it's off to the clubrooms for a day of modelling.  Looking forward to trying to make some gantries. 

Dave (TG) hope that Is is OK and her temp settles down.

All the best to everyone else.

Jamie

• Like 11

I've had yet another attempt to reinstall AutoCAD, still no success, it might be a Windows 10 issue.    

Jamie

Could well be. I couldn't get Autocad to load when I got my new laptop with Windows 7. Consequently my old PC sits in the train room and is used exclusively for Autocad.

It's dry at the moment and the sun has just come out. The forecast is for dry all day, can I trust it and get the paint out? 

The beach was covered in seaweed this morning which won't impress the kids when they arrive with their buckets and spades if it does turn out fine. I guess the rough seas earlier in the week are responsible but why wasn't it there yesterday?

Have a good day

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Muggy and overcast here but no rain.........as yet.

Off to meet sister and brother in law for lunch and a catch up, no retail shops on the agenda as far as I know.

Promises to be a good day

Enjoy yours

Alan

• Like 7

Morning folks. More like November than August here today but nevertheless, Abi and I are about to step out and brave the elements down the park. No work today so I think I'll spend some time at the bench, knocking my near-Caley 300 class a bit more into some form approximating to reality! :-).

Blatantly ignoring the state of the house in favour of indulgent hobbying.

State of my stiff neck and shoulders strongly suggests I need a new mattress mind!

A good day to all!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Rick like the earworms. Her indoors wanted to know where they come from?

Baz

Google found them http://mcphee.com/shop/ear-worms-ear-buds.html

Dull here, showers to come. We had a short but loud thundery episode yesterday evening with some dramatic lightning but barely 5 minutes of proper rain that didn't last, which was okay as I was out in it. We'd been to Mrs mole's for tea. Her new chap is out of hospital and on the mend.

Later I will be weathering a Monster.

Have a good day

Pete

• Like 8

Never believe the weather forecast. No sooner had I started painting that the rain started. Fortunately it was only a light shower so I ignored it. 250ml sample pot all used up so I'm off to the builder's merchants to get some more paint. It seems that I will need 10 litres. I think I will start of with 5 litres, the way the weather is at the moment, it could take a while to use that much!

Mmm, looks like it's about to rain again. B****r.

Afraid I’m not buying all the angst over Hiroshima (nor the revisionist history being pushed that Japan was liberating countries from “colonists”).

Sino-Japanese relations are still being affected by events in China (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre )

Naturally the BBC is leading the way........we have short memories.

Sorry, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

For those who need an alternative way to get home, may be very late tonight or not at all if you do each one on your normal tube route

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3186328/No-tube-home-Not-worry-scenic-boozy-route-using-interactive-PUB-CRAWL-map.html

Almost worth buying an off peak return to St. Pancras. :)

Edit: autocorrect to Pancreas.

Edited by leopardml2341

Afraid I’m not buying all the angst over Hiroshima (nor the revisionist history being pushed that Japan was liberating countries from “colonists”).

Sino-Japanese relations are still being affected by events in China (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre )

Naturally the BBC is leading the way........we have short memories.

Having lived in both Germany and Japan (and speaking both languages), it's fascinating seeing the contrast in attitudes towards the past. Not really the right forum to discuss this, I'll just say that Japan tends to remember the bad things which happened to it without remembering the series of events which lead to that outcome.

Though I've been to the Hiroshima museum twice, the most poignant memorial to the effects of atomic bombs I've seen is at the museum in Nagasaki, where they've excavated a bowl in the grounds of the museum and lined it with glass or perspex - it reveals the remains of a house obliterated 70 years ago.

Meanwhile, in more parochial news, it's Happy Hour here in Japan, good enough excuse to celebrate an imminent POETS. 'cept I'll probably end up "working" on Saturday (standby support on an hourly retainer + extra if I actually have to do something - gotta finance this hobby somehow). A fitting end to a long week in which I had the pleasure of supporting that client who causes everyone who's dealt with him before to suddenly discover they need to go on vacation or otherwise suddenly become unavailable. And deal with some other US left-coast people, which involves very early mornings for me. At least I can do this all from home, which means I can play with BabySquid during breaks (little blighter has started "crawling" at 6.5 months) and slip in some surreptitious modelling.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For those who need an alternative way to get home, may be very late tonight or not at all if you do each one on your normal tube route

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3186328/No-tube-home-Not-worry-scenic-boozy-route-using-interactive-PUB-CRAWL-map.html

Pleased to see that the map includes the Cittie of Yorke, High Holborn - when I was a committee member of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, we had our quarterly meetings there - now I'm not on the committee they meet at The Brunswick, Derby just a couple of miles from home!

Cittie of Yorke was built in the 1920s but was made to look much older - and they served real beer at real prices !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cittie_of_Yorke

Mike

• Like 7

Greetings all, back from a few days leave, during which I attended my parents 50th wedding anniversary bash, took the family to Hastings for mini golf, throwing stones in the sea and the fun fair, and went to Emmetts Gardens - a National Trust place which we've never been to before and enjoyed (apart from the rain).

Now back at work, slightly tired but fairly rested.

And also amazed at the test match score thus far - Australia 60 all out....!

I haven't had time to go back and catch up so best wishes to all - enjoy your Thursdays!

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see that the map includes the Cittie of Yorke, High Holborn - when I was a committee member of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, we had our quarterly meetings there - now I'm not on the committee they meet at The Brunswick, Derby just a couple of miles from home!

Cittie of Yorke was built in the 1920s but was made to look much older - and they served real beer at real prices !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cittie_of_Yorke

Mike

We used to go there regularly but not been in there for a few years.

Only one real ale on though as its a Sam Smith place but a good slection of bottles and they used to do Ayinger wheat beer which was my preferred drink in there. I remeber some years back sitting in the pub on a quiet evening when a mouse casually wandered aronud the floor area!

There has been an explosion of new craft beer places and micro breweries aorund london,  in particular under the arches out of London bridge station plus eleswehere, so we tend to be distracted by them.

Hopefully visiting one near Brockley station tomorrow night.

Just too many places to drown our liver in these days.

Oh, and a new micropub opened not too far away from us which we need to visit

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Radius-Arms-Micropub/329531410483678?sk=info&tab=overview

• Like 5