The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

It's a part of the world that appeals to me enormously. I would very much like to visit the Mecklenburg coast too, It appears to have some similarities to the Northumberland coast.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

It's a part of the world that appeals to me enormously. I would very much like to visit the Mecklenburg coast too, It appears to have some similarities to the Northumberland coast.

My dad once was on convalescent care at Bad Doberan - which is not too far from Rostock - and he liked it a lot. From there, Denmark also is within easy reach, as there are ferries between Rostock and Gedser. Tickets are quite cheap, too.

Just been watching a strange (to me) moth.

Frantically gathering/searching for nectar.

About an inch or so long.

Wings moving at a rate similar to a Bee (just a blur).

Front part of body buff and 'furry', rear part two black and two white stripes.

Nearest I can find in Google Images is a Humming Bird Moth which, of course, is much larger and unlikely to be here!

Anyone recognise this?

• RMweb Gold

Just been watching a strange (to me) moth.

Frantically gathering/searching for nectar.

About an inch or so long.

Wings moving at a rate similar to a Bee (just a blur).

Front part of body buff and 'furry', rear part two black and two white stripes.

Nearest I can find in Google Images is a Humming Bird Moth which, of course, is much larger and unlikely to be here!

Anyone recognise this?

Probably is a humming bird moth. I saw them in the French Alps some years ago and then saw them near home. They are supposed to be moving northwards.

• RMweb Gold

My dad once was on convalescent care at Bad Doberan - which is not too far from Rostock - and he liked it a lot. From there, Denmark also is within easy reach, as there are ferries between Rostock and Gedser. Tickets are quite cheap, too.

We have had a walk round Lubeck today. I'm now tired but Aditi (Mrs S) has gone swimming and Matthew is reading. We will go for a drive tomorrow along the coast towards Rostock. We won't be using the ferry when we go to Denmark on Friday, as we want to drive through Plon and Flensburg. My father was in Flensburg from 1945-9 and would have loved to revisit the area but my mother wouldn't go overseas.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd either be the last from this morning or the first for tomorrow - hello to all anyway.

Not a bad day today, ankle still aches like anything but doesn't hurt if you get my meaning. Haven't done much, my son came over early this morning and took me over to see my dear old mum, then we settled down with a pizza and watched a couple of films, which was enjoyable. then a noodle on the guitar for an hour before watching England U21s.

It struck me how what I think is quite advanced technology has become commonplace in our lives lately. We watched films (in HD of course) via a media player hooked up to a 1 terabyte (1000 gb) external hard drive, which films had been downloaded from the internet. Both these items together cost less than £150 - amazing.

The other thing is much more mundane, but in my opinion no less amazing - obviously hobbling round on crutches is not conducive to tasks such as food shopping. So - online, trawl through Tesco's inventory, make choices, pay and for the princely sum of 3 quid someone picks it for me and it gets delivered to my door.

I'm not sure I will bother going shopping again.

• RMweb Premium

If had my way I would never go food shopping again but Mrs B has other ideas if I go with a list shopping £100 tops I take Mrs B with me around £140, at a fiver for petrol canceling out the delivery charge online shopping is a clear winner.

Good morning all.

Good to receive Tony's daily update.

It's still chilly right now. About 10C, but forecast is clear with a max of 21C. My first thought every morning when I have to exit my warm, cosy, comfy bed is "In 16 hours I can get back in!"

BoD, how's the baseboard building going?

Dd, Any more progress in Wittering?

Jam, how are the hanger and Castle coming on?

We know Gordon is still playing with his lathe.

Happy hump day everyone.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Looks like it rained over night and the forecast says it'll continue to do so both today and tomorrow. Would this not be typical for a British summer? :lol:

Have a nice day all... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Baseboard building is continuing. Given that it's the first time I've built them and I'm maladroit when dealing with wood then I'm pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

I'm trying to work out the best way to do legs at the moment.

I'm guessing that Gordon has rendered his computer to swarf too.

We are off up to Scotland for a few days, followed by a couple of days in the Lake District. Bllss.

Wittering:

Don, the main station platform (half where it joins across two boards) is made, complete with car park, and painted.

Just needs to be 'dressed' with platform people and luggage etc. before public exposure.

Phil: Well done on progress.

Jolly good scheme to get out of that drive to Cornwall.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Warm but overcast would best describe the weather here in North Germany. Thunderstorms are predicted for this afternoon. As planned we are heading east for a sightseeing trip after breakfast.

Tony

Morning all...smile.gif

Late again. Must be losing the plot..

Can we see some pics of your boards, BoD?.....and how about a few holiday snaps Tony?

Decided that living in a mess was depressing me and little was getting done as everything was such a hassle to a) find things and B) doing anything meant climbing over bits and bobs, so we've embarked on a Life Laundry process. First place to be attacked was the garage, which is now my workshop. Having woodworking machinery showers every thing in sawdust so I've got a brickie coming in next Monday to separate the garage into two parts. All the machinery will be in one section and storage in the other. This should allow everything to stay clean and organised.

Of course I was starting in a mess, so the last two days have been trips to the tip with six huge sacks of sawdust and all the other crap that is accumulated over the years. Still loads to do, but hoping to end up with a nice clean room with just a few machines in the centre.

Next up will be the dining room which is full of railway bits and stuff from my mothers house and finally, the railway room.

Of course, I'm hoping for loads of brownie points...

....and I may just find all those tools I lost years ago. wink.gif

I drop in for a look and dd's talking about public exposure... <_<

Is it not safe to leave you lot alone at all? :P

On the subject of weather, we've had more rain in the past 12 hours here, than in any other 12 hour period for the past 100 and something years. It's a bit damp, but the ducks are liking it.

... Having woodworking machinery showers every thing in sawdust so I've got a brickie coming in next Monday to separate the garage into two parts. All the machinery will be in one section and storage in the other...

Gordon, get one of these and one, or more, of these. For about the price of a loco or two they really do make a difference in keeping the workshop neat and tidy, and so much more inviting just to pop in and do a quick job.

Yes, I thought that would bring you out of hiding, Lisa.

Seems like the Jet Stream is playing havoc with the weather but I didn't know the impact was as far reaching as your neck of the woods.

Although, because I have to work inside today, the sky is blue and the sun is blazing down.

Brownie Points, Gordon?

Sounds more like a medal to me.

Even before Pinkmouse posted I was having a smoke outside and thought that what Gordon needs is an extractor fan, like in a smoking room, but possibly at floor level, with ducting to his compost heap!

Will woodworking and metal lathing occupy the same workshop space? Whilst you are dividing space up, wouldn't it be better to have the two separate.

Lisa, like you, I'm in the Southern hemisphere. It's far too cool for any public exposure.

Gordon, get one of these and one, or more, of these. For about the price of a loco or two they really do make a difference in keeping the workshop neat and tidy, and so much more inviting just to pop in and do a quick job.

Thanks Pink. I have one of these on the saw bench, but the planer/thicknesser throws out a load of chips as does the mitre saw. The plumbing kit is certainly something to consider. The Scheppach extractor is very good, hence the six bags of sawdust that had accumulated over the past few months....smile.gif

http://www.scheppach.com/en/products/single-view/categories/absauganlagen/products/absauganlage-ha-2600/backPID/produktuebersicht.html?cHash=d272ee4dd0

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Horrible dull day here - had hoped for a sleep in this morning, but was rudely awakened by a phone call cancelling an appointment to mend the dishwasher - Mrs 45156 will be pleased when I tell her - the engineer can only come on Tuesdays and Thursdays - and we've had to cancel a couple of times before, now it's his turn. Luckily the repair is not essential to the working of the machine.

Now I'm awake, I've got the computer out, and can check who's up to what. Gordon having a major clear up, BoD building a baseboard,

Phil, glad to hear of your progress, Tony still having a good time in Germany, and a surprise visit from Lisa - who does not seem to be anywhere near as active nowadays as she was on previous incarnations of RMWeb - nice to hear from you.

Me - I've got a bit more mobility in my bad leg, and can now lift it relatively easily - it aches like blazes (as per Phil's comment - must be to do with the depth of the surgery) and I am still not able/allowed to put any weight on it. I still can't manage the stairs on my own, but where initially it was taking ten minutes and a lot of thought, it is now taking about a minute.

Regards to all

Stewart

Guest Max Stafford

Usually a spot that takes the full brunt of the Atlantic weather systems, north Cumbria is surprisingly not copping much of this rain, but we're getting enough to spare me the daily rounds with the watering can.

Generally, the weather's quite pleasant up here this summer!

Dave.

Thanks Pink. I have one of these on the saw bench, but the planer/thicknesser throws out a load of chips as does the mitre saw...

Nice. Your extractor certainly has the capacity to run a ducted system, mine, which is only 800l/min works well for my bench saw, mitre saw, and thicknesser, though it does struggle a bit when I use all the reducers on it to fit my handheld router for deep cuts.

BTW, lovely sunny day here in the south east, just put the first lot of washing out on the line. Must get on with the 4F... ;)

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Sun hiding behind some threatening oktas at present. Must be garage clearing season as I have the task of getting my own into shape primarily so I can get the car back in and out of the way while I'm away for a week or so in sunny(?) Bude. From what I remember of your garage/workshop Gordon I can imagine sorting the sawdust was a major undertaking. Would have me sneezing for a week!

Glad to hear the broken bone brigade are improving.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Just had a driving lesson hence why I'm late on.

Driving lesson went really well - the instructors says since he went through all the times I have to use my mirrors I've become a much better driver, safer and taking things steadier. Next lesson booked this Friday so I must be doing something right! Just starting to look through the theory.

"Jam, how are the hanger and Castle coming on?"

Thanks Don, the hangar is coming along nicely, repainted it, fitted a new and improved roof and fitted some rusty doors to it (see the bottom of this page here for the doors)

Just need to weather the hangar and then I can post some pictures on my blog. The castle hasn't been touched for a couple of days but I will certainly be working on it today - scribing the gatehouse and constructing the roof of the main keep I expect.

Hope you all have a great day!

• RMweb Premium

Sounds good to me, Jam :) . Do hang in there - not that I have any doubts that you will succeed. Learning is always a process, so it's only logical that you cannot have immediate knowledge of any skill.

• Like 1