The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

On Matthew's must have list from Utrecht university was a bike. I asked if he was going to take his. He said he would get a Dutch bike, his mountain bike would be a bit silly over there. I think he likes the idea of one with a little shopping basket on the front too.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Tony, I was undecided between “Funny” button or “Friendly Supportive” - the latter won out  ‘cos I thought it was funnier.....

Best, Pete.

If it isn't nicked while he is over there he can bring it home and pretend to be a hipster. Though I am beginning to think his only trips home for a few years might be to see his aged parents. He is applying for a position on the board of the European geography association he belongs to. He is taking part in hustings at the moment. This is by Skype but if he gets it there will be a lot of travel, not all by bike I hope.
  • Like 12

Aft'noon all,

Having learned a little of the Border Reivers on our recent Solway trip I wondered whether this afternoon's trip over the county boundary to the Wincle brewery might be the 2015 equivalent. We've been invited to stay with friends in Ludlow for a few days next week and I thought it rude not to take a few supplies.....

Gun hill nr Meerbrook is a little forbidding for a 3 speed town bike so taking it to the bottom of the hill in the back of the car, before pushing it up and then cycling from there seemed like a good way of ensuring a reasonable length of constitutional over some new routes

attachicon.gifP1110458.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110459.JPG

A few views via Swythamley along the route to Wincle

attachicon.gifP1110460.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110461.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110462.JPG

Swythamley chapel

attachicon.gifP1110463.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110464.JPG

As border raids go actually paying for the beer then cycling back into Staffordshire doesn't really get the pulse racing

attachicon.gifP1110466.JPG

A better advert for the Duck tape keeping the weighty tray of bottles on the rack

attachicon.gifP1110467.JPG

From the top of Gun hill towards Tittesworth reservoir with Morridge as a backdrop

attachicon.gifP1110470.JPG

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Delighted to see you have a sensible (ie not derailleur) gear set. Is it a Sturmey Archer or something more modern? Did you build the bike or did it come with the hub gear? If so what make is it?

Ed

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

My the day is passing rapidly - off to see Dracula's dDaughter this morning then once home after a stroll round part of the town it was eventually off to Waitrose in Tilehurst then once home waiting Mrs Stationmaster to get through arranging her personalised 10% off items on Waitrose's virtually impenetrable website (90+ minutes to sort out how to do it and select 10 items - the second bit took about 10 of the 90 minutes.

Anyway nice to see some proper job train pics from Polly and even one of my old fleet from Mick. I might actually get to the small show in Wallingford on Sunday but navigating out of town could be an awkward task as we have the final day of the Women's Regatta plus a triathlon blocking some of the country roads plus a steam fair/rally no doubt helping fill up the traffic levels on another part of the country routes.  Tomorrow can be forgotten as we're forecast heavy rain - which would be good for the garden and water butts.

Cyclist of the day story - in town I saw an utter p*ll*ck, with a little lad in a seat behind the saddle, first of all jump/ignore a red light at a pedestrian crossing - but at least he missed me by a safe margin - then ignore the redlight at the main road junction in the middle of town and thread his way across a smartly moving stream of traffic.  So totally in his own little world I don't think he even heard me when I addressed him by the obvious term of p*ll*ck when he rode over the pedestrian crossing in front of its pedestrian users.  I felt very sorry for the little lad in the seat on the back.

Have a nice day - what's left of it.  Mrs Stationmaster clearly doesn't believe the weather forecast and has the hose watering the front garden.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Just heard from Jemma - plane she was supposed to take from Omaha - Salt Lake - Omaha was "broken", so she's stuck in Omaha for about 11 hours (she was up at about 5AM as the flight was due to depart around 6:15AM , will be dead-heading to Salt Lake on a 5PM flight, to then fly the 8PM flight BACK to Omaha!!!

Feel bad for her since, unlike if/when they get stuck in LA or somewhere else larger, Omaha is pretty much "small town America". Result is the airport is about the size of the average Tesco car park WITHOUT the amenities - if you can imagine! :jester:

In "real airports" they usually have at least a few eating establishments to choose from and a decent amount of places to browse when bored/delayed, but there's precious little where she is. Since there is never a guarantee (because of weather/equipment etc., as in this instance) that they'll return, even on trips like this for exactly these sorts of reasons, they always check out of the hotel even if they'll be back that day, so they don't even have the option of hanging out in a comfy room for a while!

Hanging around Omaha airport, in uniform, for 11 hours with nothing to do, isn't exactly my idea of fun <sigh>... oh well, part of the job it seems!

Edited by Ian Abel

Delighted to see you have a sensible (ie not derailleur) gear set. Is it a Sturmey Archer or something more modern? Did you build the bike or did it come with the hub gear? If so what make is it?

Ed

.....Hi Ed,

The bike is mainly a Dawes 'Haarlem' town bike with 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub, purchased new a couple of years back for a very reasonable £250 via the internet. Being a bit hefty and regularly using the bike on some demanding routes through the scenery I soon did for the pedal and main crank bearings and had new sets of decent roller bearings fitted in both locations (inc. new pedals with spikes for gripping shoes)....the modifications have been excellent and the bike is now performing well again. It is the ideal set up to deal with Winter cycling in The Moorlands (road salt etc) and I would heartily recommend the Haarlem to those looking for a reliable bike on a budget.

Dave   

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

On Matthew's must have list from Utrecht university was a bike. I asked if he was going to take his. He said he would get a Dutch bike, his mountain bike would be a bit silly over there. I think he likes the idea of one with a little shopping basket on the front too.

Video for advert alan davies youtube▶ 11:25

9 Oct 2010 - Uploaded by MattiDVHS

8:43 Abbey National - Alan Davies on a country cycle ride with his kitten,

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

Evening all. I hope your Friday went well. Mine was hectic, no one bothered to tell me about the whole school and class photographs this afternoon which threw my timetable into chaos. This was made worse when the photographer took all chairs and tables out of my room for the whole school picture. It would have nice to have been asked. I was not a happy bunny!

I got home in beautiful sunshine and had a lovely hour in the garden with Amber. She has already developed a kick like a mule so games of football keep me on my toes. She can also bat a ball quite high. No wonder I am tired now, but great to spend so much time with her. Sarah is out for the evening so I have been putting Amber to bed. She was so quick at getting changed that we managed about six stories before bed. She chose Thomas ones each time. That's my girl!

Off to the G.C show tomorrow. Will get a chance to play and hopefully a look around too. Could be expensive!

• Like 17

And suppose it will be sensible to get a left hand drive model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. I hope your Friday went well. Mine was hectic, no one bothered to tell me about the whole school and class photographs this afternoon which threw my timetable into chaos. This was made worse when the photographer took all chairs and tables out of my room for the whole school picture. It would have nice to have been asked. I was not a happy bunny!

I understand! Being (unreasonably) told off by the head of science dept for a lab stool (seating not the other sort) shortage situation one Friday made me apply for another job that I have would have normally considered beyond my ability. My HoD apologised profusely on the Monday. However I was called for interview and got the job. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The suggestion of a Father's day present in the form of the forthcoming Silhouette Curio cutting machine, seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

It would have looked so nice sitting in a corner of the new workshop (when it is erected)

Is that so you can make your own Father's Day card?

cheers,

Mick

(A Silhouette cutter is also on my wanted list)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

There's no toll leaving Wales, just coming in :) :)

Dave

Shouldn't that be the other way round? After all - why would you want to pay to get into Wales............................? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Busy day in the North Leeds Highlands!  Fitting dcc chips and sound chips can be interesting! (Try fitting a sound chip into a DJH Duchess full of lead!).

Managed to get my scheduled work done so had a  little bit of eye resting before tea.

Tomorrow I travel to Barnsley (who host Hull) for a 110 over match. The scorer at Barnsley provides the umpires with a walkie talkie (last time I could talk to the local taxis but not to him(!)).

Have a nice sleep everyone!

Baz

• Like 15