The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Nerdy trivium for the afternoon: We have an agreement with the local emergency services that we shall turn on hazard lights when an emergency response vehicle approaches to acknowledge visual contact. After that, depending on location, we either proceed to the nearest suitable location (such as when running in narrow streets) and allow the ERVs to pass. If stood at a stop, we are to abort boarding by enforced door closing (with door alarm and, if possible, announcement), and resume it only after the vehicles have passed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We got married on June the 18th. It wasn't 200 years ago though.

First, congratulations to Tony and Aditi. and Happy Waterloo Day to all..

And here's a pic to help you celebrate.

post-14049-0-61706700-1434636446.jpg

These cut out soldiers are below Waterloo Bridge, Beyws-y-Coed.  We drove past on our weekend away but no pics ourselves. 

On Friday, half the soldiers had presumably "killed" each other as they were lying flat on the ground.  

All in one piece, ready for action, by the time we returned Monday evening.

That's what I like to see.  :mosking:

More pics on Geograph

Edit.  Reminded me of Pete Goss's World's End which we saw at Cleckheaton.

post-14049-0-71872300-1434638963.jpg

Edited by southern42
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Well I took the riverside walk but no oars(wo)manship in evidence although a profusion of various hire boats  Got talking to a couple on a narrow boat who were in the process of mooring giving them advice on where the decent (i.e proper job) pub and the mini-brewery are to be found.  They have been on the boat for a week having started from Devizes (bottom of the Caen Hill Flight, that took their first day!!!) exactly a week ago and they are heading for the River Wey - rather a nice trip I would think and a  right contrast between the Kennet & Avon and the Thames.  I din't ask if they were going to do the back working as well - up hill as far as Crofton of course.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

We have quite good cycle paths around here. I worry more about the psychopaths.

Neither present in our road but I notice the nearish neighbour who seems to pick arguments has started glaring at me now! I think he has picked arguments with everyone else. He thinks he has come down in the world following financial problems having to live here in our road. As many would say round here "I'm not bovvered".

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from a still sunny Bournemouth.   We've had a good day, so far and when I asked SWMBO what time it was the reply was "Time to open the wine" I obviously complied instantly.

Anyway we set off via  bike shop where herself acquired a new saddle, I still ride an ancient (41 year old) Brookes B17.  We then drove up into the New Forest and cycled a section of Castlemans's corkscrew that forms part of national route 2.  We enjoyed it and I even saw some rather nice railway related things.

This crossing keeper cottage about a mile from Brockenhurst looks lovely.

post-6824-0-06773100-1434644769_thumb.jpg

I even saw some lengths of cut off rail poking out of the embankment.

post-6824-0-67685600-1434644808_thumb.jpg

And a rather nice overbridge with SWMBO disappearing into the distance.

post-6824-0-68151100-1434644868_thumb.jpg

We then had a nice picnic near a stream, rode  a forest track that carried on from there then headed back home.

Now to go and cook the evening meal that I've been entrusted with, 2 waitrose ready meals.  Hopefully even I won't make a mess of them.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afernoon All

Late on parade, so first Happy Anniversary to Tony and Aditi.

Spent a while today putting up a display cabinet custom made for displaying railway collections which I picked up for about a quarter of its new price at the local antiques/junk emporium.  It's a little on the small side, as each shelf only holds a loco and two MK1s or abou t7 goods trucks. 

Time is not on my side today, so much as I'd love to comment on everybody's posts, I just haven't got enough of that commodity, so it's the now too common generic greetings.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 10

Hmmm...... take a few minutes to browse and ponder.

You might find one or two that you can certainly relate with.

Ponderisms

Can you cry under water?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you have to "put your two cents in".. But it's only a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going to?

Once you're in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in for eternity?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up like every two hours?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

Why are you IN a movie, but you're ONTV?

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Why do doctors leave the room while you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.

Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would eat?

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a stupid song about him?

Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane ?

If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours? They're both dogs!

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Why Do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star have the same tune?

Why did you just try singing the two songs above?

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?

Do you ever wonder why you gave me the forum address in the first place?

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is a good job I chose to cook a meal that doesn't take long tonight. Aditi said she would be home early but rang to let me know she will be at work for another hour "or so". She will be working from home tomorrow as she has a diabetic retinopathy test in the afternoon. The clinic at the end of our road is the new location for such tests which is very handy.

Edited by Tony_S

Hello all and big congratulations to our latest anniversary couple, Tony and Aditi.

Back home after another course today. Not as good as yesterday's which may have been why I struggled to stay awake. Mind you I did find out mid-afternoon that I had accidentally been drinking decaf coffee all day.

I still have lots more work to do, but hopefully all will get sorted eventually. I feel tired right now with no motivation for anything. I should be doing paper work but can't be a@@@@@. I ought to go to water the parent's garden but not in mood at present. Perhaps I could attempt dome modelling. The motivation is there but the energy is not.

Beer it is then!

• RMweb Gold

The motivation is there but the energy is not.

Wearing the T-shirt as we speak.

Tony, I have a feeling that should your neighbour decide to pick an argument with you or Aditi there would only be one winner. Enjoy your meal together when it eventually happens.

• Like 6

Today I feel as if I'm herding unicorns.

Today I reasoned that my very limited success in herding unicorns was down to a lack of available virgins.

When I told this at work I could tell the people who were not versed in classical mythology.

• Like 2

Definitely one of those days where very little has gone to plan. I did manage to do some reading before my course tomorrow.

Petethemole - Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to dig out my Runrig albums. I haven't listened to them for a couple of years.

Richard - The visions of the airbourne hairy rat have had me chuckling to myself for a fair while

shortliner  - A couple of the ponderisms had me thinking and others had me laughing my head off "thud"

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Tony, I have a feeling that should your neighbour decide to pick an argument with you or Aditi there would only be one winner.

I will drive him bonkers by smiling and waving! I think my sin was letting Robbie bark with excitement for a couple of seconds while I opened the car tailgate. Fortunately this near neighbour is next but one rather than adjacent. He is horrible to my actual neighbours. Their crimes include having small children and a van! One of the advantages Aditi and I have after years working in education is that you meet all kinds of people and have to learn to deal with them.

• RMweb Gold

Happy anniversary Tony and Aditi and lots more to come. Not much more to say Mrs B and the NHS continue to not agree on what hurts...... My money is on Mrs B knowing which bit hurts...

I can remember telling my old GP that I thought my abdominal pain had ceased and I wanted to go back to work. He soon found some pain and told me to keep taking the tablets. I always wanted to go back to work too soon and it didn't do me any good really.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bread Pudding. I haven't had any for years. My mother was quite good at bread pudding. Our cake of the week is Borrowdale teabread. Aditi wanted some afternoon tea type food and made one last weekend. I think I am supposed to save some to take up to London when we see Matthew at the weekend.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Bread Pudding. I haven't had any for years. My mother was quite good at bread pudding. Our cake of the week is Borrowdale teabread. Aditi wanted some afternoon tea type food and made one last weekend. I think I am supposed to save some to take up to London when we see Matthew at the weekend.

My mum was quite good at bread pudding, probably due to the masses of dried fruit, spices and a whole tin of Tate & Lyles black treacle that went into it.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I have had two visits to the SVR. One was utterly miserable. We took my parents there (it must have been about 1989 or '90). My mother was doing her "you just go off and enjoy yourself while we sit here..." routine that had made every family holiday joyless before. Aditi had told me it would be good for them to get out. I think afterwards she believed me. Aditi was kind enough to invite Mum on a couple of holidays after Dad died but it was hard work. She was fine just visiting here though.

The second visit was last year when we stayed with my brother. We went along the line, visited Bridgenorth, spent much time in a pub that brewed its own beer, visited the railway museum and got back in time to go out to another pub for dinner! It is a pity really that my Mum seemed to try and keep my brother and I apart while she was alive.

Edited by Tony_S