The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all. Very grey and wet in this part of the world. I certainly feel for the members of school staff who are out under canvas tonight. Today has been pretty good. Amber and I had a brief visit to the 7mm narrow gauge modellers show in Burton. An enjoyable show and I wish I could have stayed longer.

In the afternoon I got started on baseboard building for the small extension to my exhibition layout (see layout thread). It was nice to get some modelling done.

Sarah and I treated ourselves to a M and S meal for two again this evening. Nice food and nice to spend some time together. It has not happened enough in the last few weeks.

Glad to hear Jock is on the mend and congratulations to Bob and Chris a wonderful milestone. Enjoy your celebrations. To everyone else enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arrived home from Chatham this afternoon, quite liked the exhibition. Made a few purchases including a splendid book on Brunells south Devon atmospheric railway, fascinating stuff. Now completely cream crackered so its off to bed shortly, goodnight all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

What a game.. Yorkshire Academy needed 2 to win off the last ball and didn't manage it!

http://www.totalcricketscorer.com/TCSLive/TCSScorecard.aspx?id=33523

nearly 600 runs in 110 overs!

Jock .. tomorrow I shall mainly be ..playing trains but weathering kit will be available..

Have a nice sleep everyone....

Pete - shame you weren't in woodies pub in Headingley tonight as we had a lot of very underdressed young ladies embarking on the Otley Run.... what worried me most was her indoors kept pointing them out to me....

Baz

• Like 12

A quick visit to update myself. For some reason I've not had any email notifications of posts since 08:30.

Pete 75C- I like the details in the photos. Just a pity I'm not into 'blue smelly boxes'.

Pete - Sounds like a quiet summer for you. It's also a bonus that no loan is required.

NHN - Thanks for posting the photos. I've done some crazy things in my time, but you wouldn't get me in one of those sidecars.

Night all

• Like 7

Evening all,

Been looking in on the Le Mans race from time to time on Eurosport - for those who don't have access to that, Pete(trisonic)'s link is very useful. Must say that Mark Webber is still extremely quick! Sadly neither of his co-drivers seem to be quite as fast, but I suppose most of the teams have a 'weakest link' on board.

Richard, hope you and any other ERs who are going, really enjoy Cosford - I would love to have been there, especially to see the Vulcan which must be getting close to the end of its flying days! I would have loved to watch the Meteor flying as well as we had one at North Weald for a while, although the main spar had been drilled on decommissioning, I spent a lot of time in the cockpit dreaming! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the forecast low cloud ceiling doesn't spoil the display too much, and I can at least watch the TV coverage.

Mick(NB), wondered if you'd got a model of 'Big Jim' of this parish in the cab of that Colas '56'? He was driving a double headed pair of them on the sinfin tanks on the latest page of his 'on the tracks.....' thread!

Neil, what a superb set of action shots from the TT - can you remind me exactly where on the course you were? (Don't worry, I'm unable to visit these days!). Poor old Connor Cummins, as your shot shows, can never look truly comfortable on machines that seem to be designed for shorter people - he's still b fast though. Fully agree with your analysis of the character of Mr Dunlop. Your two images of John McGuiness show that not only is he smooth and fast, but very precise and accurate as well, when you consider that the photos are from different laps and his position on the track is almost identical! The memory of one S M B Hailwood comes back to mind as one trackside pundit once remarked that if you laid a match on the track after the bridge at Ballaugh, he'd land on it every lap! Guess that's why they both won so often. Thank you so much for posting them and can you give us camera/lens data again because the quality is exceptional, even on my large PC screen, when you consider the shrinking of the pixels required by the RMweb site? I hope you don't mind me making the No1 Honda my wallpaper of the month.

Have a good Sunday one and all, our nursing sister and husband fly off to the Dominican Republic for 16 days tomorrow, which means we will have the 'blonde bombshell', our soon to be seventeen year old granddaughter staying with us for the duration! She is a really thoughtful lass though and I don't envisage any problems other than an increase in taxi duties whilst she is here, as Joanna still isn't fit enough to drive with her damaged shoulder muscles!

Never boring round here,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mick(NB), wondered if you'd got a model of 'Big Jim' of this parish in the cab of that Colas '56'? He was driving a double headed pair of them on the sinfin tanks on the latest page of his 'on the tracks.....' thread!

Hi Jock,

Not quite, but I do have a picture of him driving a 66 and 60 past my house.....

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

I spent the afternoon in the company of eldest daughter and granddaughter  in Durham. . .

Pleasant day. . Annual regatta, and some sort of international food "fair" . . . . 

Lot's of Tourists . . Bill Bryson has a lot to answer for . . . 

Goodnight all . . .Sleep well.

John

• Like 7

Sarah and I treated ourselves to a M and S meal for two again this evening. Nice food and nice to spend some time together. It has not happened enough in the last few weeks.

An S and M meal? Oh, wait....

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Stickiness seems to have gone following the thunderboomers last night. Sunshine outside woke me up early-ish, so relocated to the sofa.

Cracking photos there, Neil! I wouldn't really call myself a petrol-head but I can tell it takes some moxie to go racing on those winding country roads...

Enjoy what you do!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's Sunday so I should be asleep but...need to get ready for the Club Open Day.

On my return we shall be having roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and roastie...yum, yum!

Have a nice Sunday

Baz

• Like 11

Those pillion riders must be totally nuts.

I used to think they were just there as ballast and were sedated and strapped in...

Pete 75C- I like the details in the photos. Just a pity I'm not into 'blue smelly boxes'.

It didn't do a lot for me either Duncan. I may be "going off" trains... :O

Attendance at the early summer diesel gala is usually on a par with any steam event, but there didn't seem to be a lot of folk around yesterday. The weather wasn't great but it wasn't enough to keep people at home. I have no memory of steam, so I do like the earlier diesels as I grew up with them and then worked with them, but 5 minutes stood at the end of the platform was ample for me yesterday. Nice to see the Hymek though. Never, ever seen one of those in the "flesh" before.

As the Hymek ran in, a photographer who was a little late arriving walked briskly up to the end of the platform, straight in front of several lenses, spoiling a few shots. As he set up to take his pictures, he then proceeded to yell at everyone that even came close to getting in his way. If I thought I could get away with it, I would have nudged him and his gear over the platform edge. D**khe*d.

There are usually far too many unwashed headcases at these galas, I'm afraid.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a misty costa geriatrica. Can't see either of the isles (Wight or Purbeck). Slept for 10 hours which is very rare for me but no cats to wake us up. Have no idea what's on the agenda for today but will no doubt be informed in due course. Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Pete

I often don't go to gels days for that very reason you mentioned as you cent get decent shots. I remember visiting the Cumbres and Toltec. I was videoing a loco shunting so stood as close as I could (no one else was taking photos or video) so as not to have any one walk between me and the loco but a few still managed to get past and in the video which was quite a dangerous move for them, so I just gave up trying.

A few beers last night to top up my alcohol levels and we are now on our way back to the Achatham show for day 2.

• Like 8

Morning all. The sun has made a reappearance this morning so I am sure Sarah will have some plans for us today. I am awaiting the itinerary for the day, although I know we will be at her mum's for our usual Sunday visit later. I may try and convince her if the need to visit Masson Mill on the way as I could do with some track from the Hornby outlet to complete the layout for the extension I mentioned yesterday.

A few weeks ago I received a very helpful email from Jamie of this parish who advised me how to create signature links at the bottom of my posts. Despite his clear instructions my laptop has never played along. It seems that it has started to block certain things. But I tried on the iPad this morning and, as you can see, I have managed to do it at long last. A belated thanks to the man in question.

Enjoy your Sunday.

• Like 12

Ian, I agree that decent shots are hard to obtain at a gala event. I'm not hugely into photography, but discovered recently that a better location in Sheringham is actually the far corner of the new Tesco car park! Much better than the station itself. That only works when traction is being delivered by rail from Norwich via Cromer and then over the new road crossing across Sheringham high street. I do wish that they'd make more use of the crossing, but 95% of traction still seems to be delivered by road. Shame.

post-17811-0-11916000-1434268661.jpg

Kids out today and SWMBO busy with something, so might get some modelling done. No, not THAT kind of modelling. If you'd seen my legs, you'd understand...

• Like 15

I saw the highlights of the TT sidecar race last night. Those pillion riders must be totally nuts.

An Sheffield aquaintance of mine some years ago used to ride in the TT sidecar races. One year, they lost the road on a bend, and piled into a pub, crashing through the wooden wall of an extension and finishing up in the middle of a bar-room, surrounded by astonished local drinkers. Miraculously, nobody was injured, and our Hughie nonchalantly took off his helmet and called out to the barman: “Two pints of bitter, please!”

I gather that a copy of the photo he had of the two of them sitting amongst the wreckage drinking their beer was hung in the rebuilt bar.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very pleasant morning here, slightly cloudy but the forecast is for rain later.

Aditi will be marking essays for much of the day so I will just potter about and provide meals and drinks as required.

Tony

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Up early for pre Cosford bike ride.

Lovely and sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

Now I'm back, the clouds are starting to roll in.

Still it will not dampen my enthusiasm for what will be my final chance to see and hear the Vulcan up close and personal.

Now to get that gazebo down, then off to catch the train

• Like 16

Come on sun, where the hell are you?….

Certainly not here in Berkshire.  Hoping for better at Parkstone.

Sat and watched American Sniper last night.  Interesting film, but had no idea of the back story, so spent some time this morning learning more about Chris Kyle.

Last saw the Vulcan at Mildenhall Air Show back in the 80's.  Wonderful sight and sound, so enjoy your viewing.  Some more video would be great...

• Like 9

Morning all. A grey and uninspiring day with not a lot planned yet.

Richard - I hope that the cloud level won't effect the show too much. Plenty of photos please

Have a good day everyone

• Like 5

I did read Mal's post about mum's 90th birthday bash, and was amazed to realise that I'd both stayed, and eaten in 'Prestonfield House' on several occasions, though admittedly some time ago - I hope mum and the family enjoyed the event as I never found cause for complaint! Is mum more or less back to normal after recent events Mal?

Hi Jock

Glad you're feeling better.

Yes, my mum's doing quite well - had an nasty uti infection from the catheter; wish there was a way to wean her off that but the bladder/brain nerve is one thing that sometimes goes with strokes.

She's really got back into reading and is ploughing her way through all of Alexander McCall Smith's books which she adores.

The hotel is a wonderful escape with massive grounds close to Arthur's Seat. Worthwhile staying there if you're loaded - and looking at the car park most people were. The restaurant there serves very good food but not all you can eat for £40.

Suddenly went chilly here on Friday afternoon and it still is but hoping it'll be more seasonal later in the week.

Hope your weekends are going well

Mal

• Like 2