The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Sun seems to be burning off the oktas so it can't be bad. SWMBO is returning today so I better make sure things are at least close to in order. Need to leave something awry otherwise she'll think she wasn't missed! Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Guest Max Stafford

Jeep.

Morning all. These early-ish nights are doing me good, although I don't finish until 1 on Saturday and Sunday morning. No modelling going on this week though.

Hope you're all OK today folks, have a good one! :)

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Aye Mick. I couldn't see the aurora either. I wish they would replace those ghastly orange light pollution generators with something a bit more night-friendly. When I was a kid, the minor road lights were white, a pity we cant bring back something more akin to those. Nothing worse than seeing that sickly orange glow over a built-up area - can't stand it!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Up a bit early today, as Mrs 45156 and neice are away for a jolly (on Stagecoach buses! :huh: ). Hope they don't get too wet as we have about 7.5 oktas at present, and they were leaking (chucking actually) for most of the night - hosepipe ban????

I have a visit from the "attendance manager" from work (a bit like the truant officer that used to come round to check you were not bunking off) at lunch time, and I need to be up and around.

Progress is slow, and I'm still having a few problems with balance on the crutches, but one step at a time is all I can do.

I've got to say that daytime TV is the best incentive to getting back to work that I've ever seen. Thank the powers that be for the stereo and the Internet - at least I've got a pretty decent system that I can listen to (Arcam/B&W) and a half way decent CD collection. Also got the Taylor and can play along (badly) with some of my guitar heroes.

Morning all,

oktas seem to be getting blacker here!

Need to leave something awry otherwise she'll think she wasn't missed! Have a good one all.

Cramdin Yard in the lounge should suffice!! :rolleyes:

Hi Stewart,

Different country and different programs, but I too cannot watch daytime TV, even over weekends, if there isn't sport.

Enjoy your visit from the 'Attendance Manager'. Offer him a drink! lol.

Got any good books to read. A good book and background classical music will keep me happy for hours on end.

Spirits Up!

Aye Mick. I couldn't see the aurora either. I wish they would replace those ghastly orange light pollution generators with something a bit more night-friendly. When I was a kid, the minor road lights were white, a pity we cant bring back something more akin to those. Nothing worse than seeing that sickly orange glow over a built-up area - can't stand it!

Agreed! However, the older white street lamps (which had a nice blue hue) normally used Mercury vapour bulbs - which are now discouraged because of the environmental issues. The orange lamps are low pressure sodium which are not only more energy efficient, but also more environmentally friendly. The only advantage that the orange lamps have over the white ones are that astronomers can filter the light polution out much more easily as it is limited to one bandwidth, rather than white light which covers a much wider bandwidth.

Light pollution is a huge problem though - It is only when I go back to my parents (who live in the middle of nowhere) that I realise how little of the night sky is visible in towns.

In the end, I stayed awake, and have been for a 2km swim in the pool at work.

Back home now. Need to pack today for the trip, and also do some work on accounts for our Masonic Lodge. The joys of being Treasurer. Can't we just get an accountant? :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Light pollution is a huge problem though - It is only when I go back to my parents (who live in the middle of nowhere) that I realise how little of the night sky is visible in towns.

I was having the same impression out on the Canary Islands. Looking over the sea at night, it was quite impressive just how dark it can be there, far away from major population centres. Spotting the very faint light of towns along the coasts of the other islands was equally amazing, though.

I think it was on Fuerteventura where I also saw a meteor, much more clearly than anywhere else I had been before.

• RMweb Premium

Got any good books to read. A good book and background classical music will keep me happy for hours on end.

Got several actually, one of which is a massive 600 plus pager written by an old friend of mine, who is also a brilliant artist - the book is a fictional account of the life of one Mary Kelly, who was, allegedly, Jack the Ripper's last victim. For a first (and self published) novel, it's a very good read indeed. It is very dark in places, and has been well received with good reviews on Amazon and some of the Ripper websites. I plan to re-read that, probably to the background of a bit of Rimsky Korsakov which will match the mood of the book quite well. I'd encourage others on here to check out the book if you like reading - there's extracts at http://www.darcycollection.co.uk/marykelly/index.htm and the rest of Bill's artistic works can also be seen at

http://www.darcycollection.co.uk

I also have just acquired a jigsaw puzzle of Bill's painting of a steam train on the Redhill-Tonbridge line being followed by two Hurricane fighters using the track as a pointer to their base, which I hope to complete. It's a brilliant painting.

• RMweb Gold

I'm going home in a bit - have been made very welcome at my daughter's, but it's time to get on with it. I have one of those office chairs on wheels so have decided that that's how I'm going to get about indoors. Should be fun.....

My main entertainment over the last week has been my laptop and broadband - everything from buying a new toy to watching live tv. I have access to Skyplayer as well so can watch sport etc. on it. BBC Iplayer is good as well, the internet certainly is a good entertainment tool.

• RMweb Premium

My main entertainment over the last week has been my laptop and broadband - everything from buying a new toy to watching live tv. I have access to Skyplayer as well so can watch sport etc. on it. BBC Iplayer is good as well, the internet certainly is a good entertainment tool.

And when you get bored, there's always us lot on RM Web. Don't overlook finding some ace guitarists on youtube as well - you might pick up some tips as there are instructionals on ther too.

Good luck with the chair - I trust it's a "safe" version with 5 wheels - if not, I'd suggest giving it a miss, as the 4 wheel version can be unstable when wheeled about.

Glad to hear both of you, Phil and Stewart, are coming along with your recovery!

I need to get some motivation to do stuff today. Just cleaned my hiking boots. Might watch the 1st and 2nd Ashes Tests 2005 DVD to motivate me as I work...

• RMweb Premium

Just cleaned my hiking boots.

Well, if you decide to put them on and go hiking, that's a result - just be careful on the hills, as we don't want you posting from crocks' corner as well

• RMweb Gold
Might watch the 1st and 2nd Ashes Tests 2005 DVD to motivate me as I work...

Cricket. That's a good start as you are heading off to Yorkshire. I suggest putting a red rose badge in your lapel to indicate your love of cricket.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Woke up at 9, promptly fell asleep and then woke up at 10.30!

I did manage to get a couple things done off my list yesterday although I've got some more for today. Yesterday I managed to start some infilling using some 'Fab Foam'. That's probably the reason why I was late up this morning as I did stay up quite late (got a bit carried away!) I also managed to lay all of the standard gauge track and some of the narrow gauge. However that stopped when I realised I didn't have any insulated fishplates angry.gif.

Today I'll be adding a bit more trackbed for the NG as I want to ease one of the curves a bit. Then I'll scribe more of those walls and carve some polystyrene for the beaches and outcrop where the pillbox will be. I might even be able to start construction of the castle but we'll see how it goes.

Phil and Stewart - is it not possible to build a kit or something similar?

Guest Max Stafford

Glad to hear both of you, Phil and Stewart, are coming along with your recovery!

I need to get some motivation to do stuff today. Just cleaned my hiking boots. Might watch the 1st and 2nd Ashes Tests 2005 DVD to motivate me as I work...

You wear your hiking boots to watch the cricket...?

:blink:

;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold
Phil and Stewart - is it not possible to build a kit or something similar?

It is, and I've got so many to build ranging from O gauge locos to HO American buildings and boxcars - but this baby needs some attention from me for a while!

post-6683-128100951718.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It is, and I've got so many to build ranging from O gauge locos to HO American buildings and boxcars - but this baby needs some attention from me for a while!

post-6683-128100951718.jpg

Ah, I can see what you mean wink.gif

Playing musical instruments always seems to help me recover - particularly if I can play a favourite song of mine.

• RMweb Premium

I hope to knock up some Metcalfe kits, once I get them ordered and delivered - I've not tried the cardboard versions recently, and have been promising myself a go at them.

Attendance Manager has been and gone now, and I'm still none the wiser as to why she visited so soon, as she had no paperwork with her, and it was more a social call - still she's lovely, so it was a pleasant diversion for a hour or so. No doubt as the dates for my return to work get closer, then bureaucracy will take its turn again.

Ah yes, music as a therapy, there's a thing. I have numerous albums of my guitar heroes, and whilst they make me feel that I have only one arm (growing out of the top of my head - thanks for the quote Mr Connolly!) it can be inspirational - I am listeing now to Chris Newman, a relatively unknown British flatpicker/jazzer who with his musical partner Maire Ni Chathasaigh on Irish harp have pushed their respective instruments well outside their comfort zones, and have made some incredible music at the same time. Indeed, Fred Wedlock once said to me that it was a good job nobody ever told them that what they were doing was impossible! Indeed, another harper told methe same of what Maire does on the harp - Jazz, Bluegrass, Swing. You name it.