The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I hate Newark - so I don’t care Ian - for international I usually use JFK (about 10 miles further) unless I use the old Continental line. Fewer delays there. We can’t all live “in the sticks”.

The town itself is not only a dump but a dangerous dump, and yes I dislike the English Newark too. Luckily the Newark Airport is actually in Elizabeth...

Best, Pete.

Newark airport used to be OK, but it's a real pain in the neck now. I think you should send a nastygram to your Fat Controller dear guvner.

• RMweb Premium

About time to say goodnight all but one other bit of altered wording.

In the toilets at the Leeds Police HQ the towel machines were supplied by the Dependable Towel Service of Easy Road. This became The Edna Towel Vice Service with a very appropriate address.

Goodnight all.

Jamie

• Like 8

Neil(NHN),

I note that the circuit has claimed another life this evening - Frenchman Franck Petricola 32, died following a crash at Sulby crossroads around 7.45pm. Are the Superbikes just getting too fast now?

I believe you mentioned the anniversary of last year's terrible incident - has Jayne coped with it? At the same time, I guess it wasn't a nice day for Debs and you, I hope now it has passed, you can all continue the rebuilding!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

Apparently we can now fly direct from Newcastle to . . . . NEWARK. . . 

Jock. . . An interesting celestial happening being played out at the moment in the western sky as Jupiter appears to be closing on Venus. . . Best view from here is about 10.00pm from my kitchen  . . .

Not like me to rabbit on soooooo Goodnight all . . . Sleep well.

• Like 7

My son still plays occasionall football matches on Sunday mornings (often with a hang-over I'm told!) but one of their team snapped an Achilles' tendon this weekend so I believe our lad is re-considering his participation!

Jock, I tore an Achilles tendon playing football 23 years ago, and I'm still playing. Is your son playing 'all ages' games? When I came here to Canada, I was on the point of giving up football. I played in a Sunday pub league in England, and I was the second oldest player in the league. I think what has allowed me to play on in Canada is that there are leagues here with age restrictions - over35s, over40s, over50s, over55s and even (from this year) over60s. With people of roughly the same ages playing each other, there's no great mismatch in intensity between players and so (I think) less chance of serious injury. Having said that, at this age any significant injury is possibly your last, and the end to a once-promising career!

Incidentally, the team I play for is entering a team in a tournament in Virginia this summer and I can't go with them - because I'm too young. With a few guest players from other teams, they have put together a team for an over-70s division!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! Still sunny up in the North West Leeds highlands.

I have been allocated some housework today.. Modelling will occur later.

It would appear that "walking" football for older players is becoming available in this neck of the woods. They do play over 50s and over 60s cricket (which is played with a high level of competitiveness!)

Being pre-POETS day I hope you have a grand day!

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I was up a bit earlier than usual to get Martyn off to a pre-exam breakfast and revision session. He had some breakfast here on the grounds that any food produced by the school would probably be inedible (he has a packed lunch). I may go and lie down again as I had a restless night.

The Round Tuit had been sold. That was a lucky escape.

A short session at Eastleigh station coincided with the arrival of a Colas 47, 47227 Rebecca, heading into the Works. Curiously I couldn't find the movement on RTT. I then headed for the Wagon Works via Sainsbury's.

Looks like it's going to be a fine day....about time.

Have a good one.

Pete

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning

A lovely sunny day here in London.

Sorted mum out last night for her trip to see my brother in Hong Kong and her brother in Melbourne -she keeps saying it will be her last trip to Oz but I keep saying that you can always go again.

Our newly installed CCTV at home stopped working yesterday but its all back up running again. WIll install more of it tonight. Much better than the older system. Next will be to tackle the alarm side of it so it can replace the current alarm which is now getting a bit tired.

ALso a few N scale Southern Pacific tunnel motors have been cleaned but with quite a few more to go before the GCR show in a few weeks time. They were palying up on the last outing.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The key?

This is very like my first end-to-end layout: https://thingsfor.co.uk/acatalog/wonderloco.JPG

The website posts this message:

Tin toys are for adult collectors only and should not be given to small children.

If only I'd known that when I was small - I'd probably still have it, and the key!

• Like 10

Jock, I tore an Achilles tendon playing football 23 years ago, and I'm still playing. Is your son playing 'all ages' games? When I came here to Canada, I was on the point of giving up football. I played in a Sunday pub league in England, and I was the second oldest player in the league. I think what has allowed me to play on in Canada is that there are leagues here with age restrictions - over35s, over40s, over50s, over55s and even (from this year) over60s. With people of roughly the same ages playing each other, there's no great mismatch in intensity between players and so (I think) less chance of serious injury. Having said that, at this age any significant injury is possibly your last, and the end to a once-promising career!

Incidentally, the team I play for is entering a team in a tournament in Virginia this summer and I can't go with them - because I'm too young. With a few guest players from other teams, they have put together a team for an over-70s division!

All together now!

He's fitba' crazy.

He's fitba' mad .......

(Sorry! My bad)

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Amazing, it's already 15degC and rising. The first lot of clipping is finished.....

Our hedge is no longer hanging over the tarmac.

attachicon.gifTrimming 1.jpg

Steph can now get to her hidy hole without having to push her way through the fuscia. I'd swear yo can see the white fuscia growing!

attachicon.gifTrimming 2.jpg

Just these old daffs to strim after I've had my coffee break.

attachicon.gifTrimming 3.jpg

Just remembered that a friend is coming round after lunch to seek my advice on land purchase and building a house, so I had better get on with my other jobs or she'll be here before I know it!

I felt the same way about our red fuscia until a holly bush self seeded next to it!  The fuscia has been in the garden for over 40 years (trimmed back every so often), the holly just 4 and in that time had outgrown the fuscia.   Apart from the base of the trunk, it's now been dealt with.  :butcher:

• Like 13

Morning all. Bright, sunny and warm. I just hope that it's not our one day of summer.

Babysitting duties handed over. One small local job today, a couple of chores and hopefully some modelling.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny village that's still north of Ikea. SWMBO has departed for fat club and will then head for the local café with her friends. I'm not sure how the logic of the two things works out but as a mere male who am I to comment. I'll get the ironing done then sort various tasks out. I plan to try making up the second test etch for the NBR coaches, the brake 3rd this time to see whether all the minor amendments I've made have worked out. Then this evening some time at the Clubroom getting a bit of Green Ayre ready for the open day.

All the best to everyone.

Jamie

• Like 15

Morning all, beautiful blue skies with a smattering of white clouds over Borough market Junction. It was very still in Sidcup earlier, makes a change after all the recent wind. Mrs Lurker was out last night so I treated myself to a paella (a pre-made one). She seems to think I should have the soup and some cheese instead. I'm out tonight. I assume she'll have the soup.....

the trains were disrupted last night because of  derailment at Charlton but I found out just in time to go via Waterloo East and catch a Charing Cross train

• Like 9

Morning all,

It looks like it is going to be a warm one today. Perfect bank holiday weather!

I think some work in the garden is in order today. I just have to keep the noise down.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Bingley took me to the pub (again) - Goodnight All :)

Watch out . many years ago, 30747's mum had a Cocker, and I got deputed to take her for walks from time to time - which involved a similar diversion from "walkies" and then 30747 took her out one afternoon, and she went straight up the steps of the Spread Eagle and sat there waiting for the door to open.  Landed right in it, I was....

Edited by 45156
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny Estuary-Land. A new verb 'blatter' To continually deny guilt when the guilt is obvious. :no:  :nono:  Best to make the most of the weather as thunder storms are predicted for tomorrow, best watched from indoors methinks.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Summer has arrived - at least for now. 

Jobs for today appear to include the garden.....

Possibly back later

Regards to All

Stewart

ps hope the new Avatar pleases Stanier lovers

Edited by 45156
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

We checked titcam last night before we went to bed, and again this morning.

The expression 'flown the nest' is very true, as since the blue tit family decamped yesterday morning, there has been no activity in or around the nest box.

I'll be getting the ladder out later on, and will clean out the old nesting materiel as there is the slight chance that we'll get a second sitting before the end of the month.  If not, I'll be disconnecting the camera unit and putting it away until next spring.

Funnily enough, the live watch has given us hours of pleasure, as the tv could be left on and observation kept as we drifted through the sitting room on various tasks.

Since I still have the USB camera off my ill fated (and still missing) quad copter, I have thoughts about wiring it up, and next year putting it into the clematis where the blackbirds tend to nest.

Today the weather is bright, sunny and calm, so a session in the garden beckons.

This session may also involve the initial setting up and zeroing of the six new airguns i have in my possession, although I may wait until the weekend to do this:  It really depends on the long range (well 30 yards will be enough initially) forecast.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a lovely sunny day here to mark another successful orbit. 

I make that some 29,784 million miles on the clock. Characteristically it was spent going round in circles!

Mind you, I once had an Allegro that made it to 130k which is, perhaps, more surprising.

Anyway all that travel made me want to have a bit of a lie down recently....

post-4299-0-17346300-1433406644.jpg

• Like 18