The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

There is a limit. They came out at the beginning of March and were over by mid April. I think seven weeks is long enough for them to recuperate! I've never left them to see just how long it takes for the foliage to die off.

Yes, I agree. My bulbs get until the first cut of the hedge, as they are planted alongside the hedge. I then use the mower to lower the jungle and pick up the clippings.

I have "platted" the leaves in the past, but that is too much like hard work and doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

All bulbs go blind eventually.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I will be resigning from my post as overworked and underappreciated general factotum wef (date of choice)

sgd

Aditi

All you need

Goodbye and Thanks for all the fish!

courtesy of Douglas Adams ..I wrote it on my Bosses whiteboard as he had refused my real (and polite) resignation letter...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

hey ..it was almost warm umpiring today....shock, horror!

Hope this continues as Abbeydale in Sheffield is a bit cool at times - and my game is there on Saturday.

Baz

• Like 11

I hate Newark - so I don’t care Ian - for international I usually use JFK (about 10 miles further) unless I use the old Continental line. Fewer delays there. We can’t all live “in the sticks”.

The town itself is not only a dump but a dangerous dump, and yes I dislike the English Newark too. Luckily the Newark Airport is actually in Elizabeth...

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I too suggested a variation of "goodbye and thanks for all the fish" to Aditi but it wasn't quite as polite! If I were her I would give notice to leave on September 1st and if they want her back to manage the inspection they could hire her as a consultant. She will have actually completed all the paperwork/documentation in July anyway! Am I being a cad and bounder by pointing out various interesting cruises up the Amazon before her preferred retirement date?

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I hate Newark - so I don’t care Ian - for international I usually use JFK (about 10 miles further) unless I use the old Continental line. Fewer delays there. We can’t all live “in the sticks”.

The town itself is not only a dump but a dangerous dump, and yes I dislike the English Newark too. Luckily the Newark Airport is actually in Elizabeth...

Best, Pete.

Newark UK has a great micropub plus a few other good pubs so it's not all bad!!

• RMweb Gold

Now if you'd really had that organised Jemma could have 'borrowed' the firm's 'transport' and picked you up at Newark ;) :jester:

And what is it about Newark? Several of us went to the English place with that name once (to look at something railwaywise to settle a 'debate') and it too was a dump; even the pubs were shut in the middle of the day - except Wetherspoons. mofd, not even the pubs

At the moment,move emphemerally from Newark over to Southwell Minster on Radio 3. Our friends in Ex-Cathedra are singing Rachmaninov 's Vespers.All of you....treat yourselves.I am listening to friends.Please share it with me. Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 7

I started asking people if I would get into trouble at work for saying "Why are we wasting time with another bl**dy meeting - why don't we get on with some work instead?"

I met with a load of sympathy.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been to Newark,NJ but I have been to Newark, Nottinghamshire once. Back in 1981 Aditi passed her driving test at the fifth attempt. She had said she didn't want me to take a driving test until she passed as she didn't want to be "one of those women who always let their husband drive". Her Mum was quite relieved as she had promised Aditi her Chevette ( and she wanted a Volvo) if she passed. So in the New Year of 1982 I put the L plates on and we set off to Newark from Nottingham where we were staying with Aditi's family. I'm not sure how badly I drove but Aditi's little brother asked if his big sister could drive on the way home.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I didn't see your request earlier - an alternative is the uni POSCA paint pen - they sell them in Hobbycraft  www.POSCA.COM

Another vote for the Posca paint pen. I use them for orange cantrail lining and the pigment/paint is thick enough to go over dark grey in one pass.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Back from the Oncologist - main chemical indicator (PSA) is low and stable. Next visit three months.

We're now greeted by the reception staff by our first names.

And he said tonight (First time we'd seen him since December) "Thank you for your Christmas Card."

Should have replied "It's because of you that I can still send Christmas Cards."

• Like 18

Evening all. Great to see that Ian A arrived home safe and well despite his enforced stay in some prison like environment. I hope everyone else is fit and well.

It looks like, say it quietly, I might be free of most of the bugs that have been lingering of late. I got through today with no real problems besides the odd stomach cramp - probably my system getting back to rights. Sensible eating and drinking helped today, no "pigging out" at lunch as I have been known to do, and a good supply of water instead of strong coffee. I certainly feel better for it. An earlier night and a decent amount of sleep helped too. That being said a late running staff meeting meant little time with Amber in the evening and no inclination to do any work. I probably should have tackled some of the jobs but couldn't be bothered!

At least I have been boosted by more layout confirmations today, adding to the RMWeb collection at this year's show. Even with a few months to go it is beginning to come together.

• Like 11

post-17799-0-38802600-1433369129_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?

(Sorry to break the rules but I want to tap into the crowd mind)

Bought for a fiver from ebay, says it's made in Slovenia...

post-17799-0-73874300-1433369158_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-36709200-1433369196_thumb.jpg

I'm planning to modify it to run on the ECBNR - it does run (after a fashion).

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC_0325.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?

(Sorry to break the rules but I want to tap into the crowd mind)

Bought for a fiver from ebay, says it's made in Slovenia...

attachicon.gifDSC_0334.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0330.jpg

I'm planning to modify it to run on the ECBNR - it does run (after a fashion).

If it were mine I would start by researching Mehano products. As for the prototype I have no idea!

Good advice. It seems to be the loco from a starter set called the 'Alpline Special' (sic). It has weird couplings (which I don't think is a problem) and that huge bell is going to have to go, but as an HO prototype it might make a nice 'tiny' for OO. I suspect it would never pull a train - as expected the scale speed is somewhere near Mallard.

• Like 8

There is a limit. They came out at the beginning of March and were over by mid April. I think seven weeks is long enough for them to recuperate! I've never left them to see just how long it takes for the foliage to die off.

Must be the difference in our climates. They bloomed here about a month later than yours, but the foliage is long gone while yours still look pretty fresh. Seven weeks is plenty. Whack 'em!

• Like 2

I will be resigning from my post as overworked and underappreciated general factotum wef (date of choice)

sgd

Aditi

All you need

I remember reading a book years ago, probably a Reggie Perrin. He resigned from the food company that he worked for writing "up shove job arsewards". Sufficient I always thought.

• Like 12

Our Latin primer was "MENTOR".  I think every copy I saw had "TOR" added in front.

Stan

The compartments on the non-corridor stock where I grew up all bore the inscription "DO NOT CLEAN SOOT OFF THE WINDOW"

(adapted from "DO NOT LEAN OUT OF THE WINDOW")

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 7