The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally, his name was George, as was another uncle who was also a bank manager - in Angus. Then there was my father who was George and my brother is another George, as was one of my grandfathers. I also have a cousin George. Family gatherings could be very confusing!

Whenever I hear the name George, it always reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArNz8U7tgU4

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

Evening all. Last day of a break that has been extended by illness. I popped into school this morning to tidy the classroom following my absence at the end of last half term. After dropping Amber off at nursery Sarah and I popped out for lunch together before looking around the local primary school. Quite strange to see things from the other side of the fence, and difficult not to pass judgement with a teacher's head on.

Only have a half day of teaching tomorrow which is probably a good thing as I still can't shake the cough and tiredness. Hopefully I will get through ok. Lots of stuff to catch up during the non contact afternoon.

Aditi's sister is going to New York for a week at the end of August. She and husband are arriving on the QE2. I don't think they have sorted out a hotel yet but I shall endeavour to impress them with advice about where to eat! Aditi's sister will be happy there but I think she may have to sedate her husband for the duration of the trip. He is obsessively fussy about things like beds, opening windows, requires blackout and silence to sleep, and that is even before food is mentioned.

Tony

He’lll be lucky to find a window that opens in a hotel in Manhattan.........

I did but it was in a suite at  Le Parker Meridien on 56th in MidTown. I lived there for four months in 1995.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

Have a good trip!

Today is the centenary of the first occasion on which London was bombed from the air - there has just been a piece about it on BBC London News and in typically London-centric fashion some local 'expert' explained that it was the first occasion on which British civilians had been exposed to war; er wrong!  

I think I might write to the Beeb and explain to them that London doesn't end at Bethnal Green.  6 months previously, in December 1914, the East Coast towns of Whitby, Scarborough and Hartlepool had been shelled by units of the German Fleet (with a much higher casualty toll than that in London) while Zeppelin raids had actually commenced in January 1915 with an attack on Great Yarmouth, the first of several attacks that month on towns in East Anglia).

However reportedly a number of civilians were killed during the French invasion of Pembrokeshire in 1797 (by indisciplined French soldiers foraging) and no doubt the civilian population had suffered in 1066 if not in earlier invasions - but not from gunfire or bombing.

As well as the other previously mentioned incidents (most of whiche were new to me, very interesting) I'm pretty sure there was the odd civil war or two, which were presumambly not all set-piece battles on muddy fields far away from any settlements and with outside catering laid on.

• Like 1

Teignmouth was the last place in England to be invaded by a foreign force.  The French ransacked the town in 1690.

Teignmouth (/ˈtɪnməθ/ TIN-məth) is a town and civil parish in Teignbridge in the English county of Devon, situated on the north bank of the estuary mouth of the River Teign about 14 miles south of Exeter. It has a population of 14,749.[1] In 1690, it was the last place in England to be invaded by a foreign power.

What about John Paul Jones attack on Whitehaven with an American ship and force - that was in 1778 and is still celebrated every year. They didn't invade for long but it raised a few eyebrows in the capital!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a very wet village. Got back from Model Railway club to find the house in darkness and SWMBO asleep. As I was firing up the laptop I noticed a greetings card on the mantelpiece with my name on it. Suddenly realised that today is our wedding anniversary. So crept out of the house , went back to Asda and came back 20 minutes later with a card. Now I've got to write it, put it in place then wait till the morning to see whether or not my little excursion was noticed. It cold get interesting. I did forget our first anniversary 35 years ago and haven't been allowed to forget that.

Goodnight all.

Jamie

Afternoon all! Missed posting this a.m., so apologies. Interesting "welcoming day" was had, though the experience was somewhat marred by a conversation with my parents last night who don't seem to really understand my motivation for picking this job. I had mentioned it to them a while ago when it hadn't been certain yet, but it seemed to me they hadn't really taken the idea seriously to begin with.

I wonder how common it is for parents to want to know better what's supposedly good for their children, and I'd certainly want to avoid this kind of trap once we might have children of our own…

My father in particular still seems to think I should really be in academia, not the cut'n'thrust world of private enterprise. Apparently because I'm a quiet intellectual type (admittedly I have been accused of looking like a professor on occasion). Funny thing is though, I couldn't stand academia - and from what I hear it's also pretty much a cut-and-thrust world these days, just with much lower pay for the most part.

Now, let's not even mention being bombarded with badly-remembered baby care advice from four decades ago...

Evening all,

Late on tonight but lots accomplished today!

Jamie, I also loved 'The Black Marble' by Wambaugh, his black sense of humour is what appeals most and I have to confess that I've used lots of the descriptive words from 'The Choirboys' to describe some of my more unsavoury clients! (Scr*tes is one that springs to mind)!

Ian(OD), thanks for the good quality images as usual, I look forward to more when you have time! The Porsches look quite good so far but, as the old saying goes, 'when the flag drops, the bullsh*t stops!'

Thanks Neil, I've been keeping up with the Classic scene through 'Classic Bike' (an old salesman of mine from Motorcycle City in Reading works for them!) and 'Bikesport News' and like you, I'm aghast that the ruling body has relaxed the rules to the extent that it is now going the way of all sport where the biggest budget normally wins! Great to hear that Jayne's rehabilitation I appears to be progressing well, I must confess that I felt some concern (although I've only 'met' the lady through your words!) that the TT week might have been a bit stressful for her. On the subject of TT week, the good old Island weather has already impacted on the scheduled practice! I look forward to your images, if last years are anything to go by!

Thanks too go to Simon for kindly updating me on the 'Maid of the Loch', the famous Loch Lomond paddle steamer. I'm truly sorry about the weather - when I last went along the Crinan, it was with my granddaughter and Joanna around six years ago and we had superb weather with the heavy snowfall of the previous week leaving the mountain tops capped. I hope it improves for the rest of your time there.

Mike(StationMaster), mentioned the solar powered plane's wingspan - it is apparently wider than that of a Jumbo Jet, even though the fuselage looked like it was made of something like rice paper! No wonder the pilot decided to avoid the storm.

Stewart, can you remind us when your operation is due?

Good news for our commuters on the rail strike front, don't suppose it will improve the normal delays however!

Time to catch some sleep now, hope Tuesday is good for you all and that there is health improvement for all our sufferers like poor Andy(ram) who really hasn't had a good year so far!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Up early but sufficient time to catch additional rest before work. Next two weeks are planned for depot service for technical and operational familiarisation, including shunting work (which generally takes place in the tiny hours of morning and at the end of day).

Thank you all once again for your supportive messages yesterday. This means a lot to me, which I'd much have liked to put into more polished words, which but I cannot seem to find right now...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Seems like I'm first up! (Not now....just seen another message flag up)

A lot of rain appeared to fall last night, and when I went down to make some tea for myself, the sun was jusr starting to peep over the horizon.

However. it's gone darker now as the cloud has blown in from Polly's land of Ddraig Goch.

I need some photos for a new passport, so this will be the first task this morning, followed by measuring, cutting and fitting new skirting boards in the entrance hall.

Having had a visit from the bank manger yesterday, we have decided that we need to spend more of the children's inheritance!

Sadly this is unlikely to be railway orientated expenditure.

• Like 4

Can I claim the first retrospectively?

Been up since 05:30, dog 'watered' and tea made but...... now back to bed. Doglet is sleeping already, hopefully I will be after mi tea but that may well be the triumph of hope etc.

PS still 'holiday' weather here :(

Edited by leopardml2341

Good luck with your driving Dom, I once had the opportunity to partake in the BVG's Farhschule for a day...... Long story, but as I'm sure you'll agree, driving two of their then brand new GT6 'mantawagen' coupled together in city streets was a bit different to heritage trams at Crich Tramway Museum. :)

• Like 8

Morning All,

It is a rather strange morning here weather wise.  It looks cloudy, but strangely, the sun is out.  It seems that the cloud is high in the sky, but close to the horizon is clear.

I spent yesterday evening with Thomas preparing for his English Test.  As well as a stack of vocab, we had to learn the difference between simple present, and present progressive.  It's amazing what you can learn about grammar learning English as a second language!

Have a good day everyone - and best of luck for today, Dom!  I meant to say yesterday, but didn't get around to it - It is perfectly natural for your parents to be concerned for you, but at the end of the day, it is your happiness (and sanity) that must come first.  Speaking as a parent, I can say that you always want the best for your children, but what I think is best for Thomas, isn't necessarily what is best for him!  That is sometimes hard to accept - but accept it you must.  Your parents will more than likely get used to the idea - particularly when they realise how much happier you are as a result.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 5

Britain in their sites......

.... Programme currently being broadcast on BBC R4extra discussing the demise of Euston's Doric Arch.

Repeated at 13:30, 20:30 and 01:30 if anyone is interested?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very windy this morning. Rather overcast too.

Robbie will be going to the vet this morning. This is usually not a problem. However he is due for his kennel cough vaccine and he does not like this. It is given via a nasal spray. It required a vet, a nurse and myself last time to complete the process.

Tony

...............Incidentally going back to my other comment I believe the French landings in Pembroke in 1797 were the last time foreign troops landed in force on British soil.

And g'night all.

I think Lightengine's post refers to the last time foreign troops landed on English, rather than British, soil. On Teignmouth prom, there is a board proudly proclaiming that fact.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a wet and very windy Surrey.

Very little sleep last night with the wind so already very tired.

Forest Hill is now less forested as there is a tree blocking the line to London Bridge.

On top of that a faulty train blocking one platform at Redhill, the next VIC service was late. The LBG service will be terminating at East Croydon and the following Vic service is cancelled. So we are on a very busy Thameslink service which goes over the hills route via a Gipsy Hill, Tulsa Hill and Herne Hill but today so will quite a few services diverted away from the mainline.

Edited by roundhouse

Wet and windy here in South Devon too, with many leaves blowing around. Looks odd, seeing them on the ground when still green.

Hope there isn't too much storm damage, beyond that already mentioned on the London Bridge line.

Take care out there!