The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

So I wasted my time coming up with 6 alternative plans for getting home then?

My last evening in Sarajevo is being marked by a major thunderstorm. On to Zagreb tomorrow.

Have a good trip!

Today is the centenary of the first occasion on which London was bombed from the air - there has just been a piece about it on BBC London News and in typically London-centric fashion some local 'expert' explained that it was the first occasion on which British civilians had been exposed to war; er wrong!  

I think I might write to the Beeb and explain to them that London doesn't end at Bethnal Green.  6 months previously, in December 1914, the East Coast towns of Whitby, Scarborough and Hartlepool had been shelled by units of the German Fleet (with a much higher casualty toll than that in London) while Zeppelin raids had actually commenced in January 1915 with an attack on Great Yarmouth, the first of several attacks that month on towns in East Anglia).

However reportedly a number of civilians were killed during the French invasion of Pembrokeshire in 1797 (by indisciplined French soldiers foraging) and no doubt the civilian population had suffered in 1066 if not in earlier invasions - but not from gunfire or bombing.

• RMweb Gold

The biggest  concentration of Indian restaurants in the Metroplex is in Iselin, New Jersey.

Best, Pete.

Aditi's sister is going to New York for a week at the end of August. She and husband are arriving on the QE2. I don't think they have sorted out a hotel yet but I shall endeavour to impress them with advice about where to eat! Aditi's sister will be happy there but I think she may have to sedate her husband for the duration of the trip. He is obsessively fussy about things like beds, opening windows, requires blackout and silence to sleep, and that is even before food is mentioned.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Wet and windy here and probably heading your way!

No "probably" about it. Sideways rain on the conservatory, now turned into a baseboard assembly area for the evening. The laser cut boards from Tim Horn are stunningly easy to build.

Must try and get to the shed later (which means I'll be up late) for some model building as I start the four week run-in to Perth show.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

The last French invasion was in 1216 by Prince Louis (later Louis 8 of France). Supported by most of the English; well the alternative was the despotic John, who had already repudiated Magna Carta. However John conveniently died, Louis was behaving as your typical Frog (snails, frog's legs, etc) and the English asked him to leave, choosing John's son (Henry 3) instead.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Southampton and other Channel ports were raided in 1338 by the French with Genoese mercenaries assisting. Damage in the SW part of medieval Southampton was so severe that the area (ironically the "French Quarter") went from prosperous to largely deserted. 

http://sotonopedia.wikidot.com/page-browse:french-raid

For some serious detail, follow the link to AD Morton's article.

See also: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10208147/Enemies-at-the-gates-the-73-invasions-of-Britain-since-1066.html

Pete

Lots of raids and sackings, but the 1216 events did lead to Louis I/VIII being proclaimed king, but not crowned. That's pretty heavy duty stuff. 

Mind you, he was a nasty piece of work, leading a crusade against his own people (or the Albigensians at least)  and died of dysentery. But then so did John.

Louis really ought to be on our lists of kings and queens.

Teignmouth was the last place in England to be invaded by a foreign force.  The French ransacked the town in 1690.

Teignmouth (/ˈtɪnməθ/ TIN-məth) is a town and civil parish in Teignbridge in the English county of Devon, situated on the north bank of the estuary mouth of the River Teign about 14 miles south of Exeter. It has a population of 14,749.[1] In 1690, it was the last place in England to be invaded by a foreign power.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1

Well, over an hour to catch up, noting that congrats, best wishes, sympathies and get well soons are needed in varying quantities.

Had an enjoyable visit to demu at w/e and being close by went on both days. Met Mick (Newbryford of this parish), spent far too much money at show on Sat (and more on beer afterwards).

The weather must know I have this week off work as I had planned to do outside things today, not least of which was to take Bingley on a long walk. Hey Ho!

The Spanish did a lot of damage in 1597 to Mousehole, Newlyn, Paul and Penzance. The burn marks in Paul Church (St Pol de Leon) are still visible.

The Barbary pirates raided all the way along the south coast, the Irish coast and other places taking males back to North Africa.  White Gold by author Giles Milton explains all about the white slave trade.  Giles wrote Nathaniels Nutmeg and several other very good non fiction history books.  I have no connection apart from having read all of his non fiction.

edit spelling

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whew that all took some catching up with today.

Horrrrrrendous weather today, torrential rain, the strongest winds ever recorded in June, and now...it's sunny as the sun sets.  Most odd.

Jock, I think that bike was a Matchless G45. Apparently if you need to ask you can't afford it.  1952 TT winner.  Allegedly.  Maybe the tank is the original, or a footpeg rubber......they even make 4 valve Manxes and 7R's now....hardly original.  I have an opinion about classic racing as you may gather!  It is no longer cheap, you need a 'cheat' modern internals engine to get anywhere near.  Sounds good though.  Patons available, £80,000, spare engine £50,000.......good grief.

Just been out with the 'crowd' and Jayne for a curry, she was in good form, absolute delight to see, surrounded by her friends, talking about Gary and good times past.  #dabs eye#  Great evening.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Watched tv's The Chase, earlier, and knew one of the answers only because I'd bought a Huntley & Palmers (Reading, being the answer) wagon from West Wales Wagon Works a couple of years ago and checked it out!  An educated guess, that's what it was.  8)  :mosking:

A view of the works: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw022682

• Like 5

After spending the last hour catching up on the posts for the last 5 hours I think that ER's must be posting too much :jester:

Jock - All the faculties are there but it's still a difficult job. He's only recently returned to the UK after over 40 years living overseas. The last 20 of them in France with the majority of them on his own. You can probably imagine the problems that this is causing.

Mike - I saw the article on the Zeppelins. The one thing that got me was the reference to the Zeppelins causing the damage. I thought that it was the bombs that they dropped that did the damage

• Like 2

its many years since I took the obligatory tourist boat trip, 

Hi Jock,

We used to spend a bit of time in Kintyre. My mother's brother was a bank manager in Campbeltown and she would take us on day trips by steamer to visit him. Usually he came on to the boat to see us off. He was such an amazing blether that the crew had to frog-march him off the boat so it could leave!

Incidentally, his name was George, as was another uncle who was also a bank manager - in Angus. Then there was my father who was George and my brother is another George, as was one of my grandfathers. I also have a cousin George. Family gatherings could be very confusing!

Cheers!

Andy

• Like 1

Jock, the weather just about behaved itself for most of the day.  We had a great run to Fort William from Loch Lomond, over Rannoch Moor and down Glen Coe, which I had not been to before.  We were amazed by the amount of snow on the mountains - and the car indicated just 3 degrees on Rannoch Moor, so it was cold.  The train ride was most enjoyable.  Mall aig was very cold, but the Steam Inn there had a lovely woodburner in operation, and we treated ourselves to Fish & Chips as well.  We had planned to detour a bit on the way back from Fort William, but by this time the weather had turned foul, so we just drove straight back.  That drive was simply the foullest weather I have driven in for years, and I was tired when we got back.  Unfortunately, no time for the Crinan Canal etc.

A couple of pics - 62005 on Glenfinnan Viaduct:

attachicon.gifP1000500C.jpg

Ben Nevis viewed from the train on our return (you can see how the weather looked by then):

attachicon.gifP1000555C.jpg

Maybe another time for Crinan etc.

Good grief! The weather looks atrocious. We were there last May and it was delightfully warm and sunny.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally, his name was George, as was another uncle who was also a bank manager - in Angus. Then there was my father who was George and my brother is another George, as was one of my grandfathers. I also have a cousin George. Family gatherings could be very confusing!

Cheers!

Andy

My nearly 3 year old niece Maya will be a big sister to a new baby in November. She has started referring to the prospective child as "George". This is because Peppa Pig has a brother called George. Not sure if George is on the parental name list!!
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Watched tv's The Chase, earlier, and knew one of the answers only because I'd bought a Huntley & Palmers (Reading, being the answer) wagon from West Wales Wagon Works a couple of years ago and checked it out!  An educated guess, that's what it was.  8)  :mosking:

A view of the works: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw022682

Don't watch that programme - but I do have a 40foot (to one inch) plan of the H&P works and its extensive railway system.

Mike - I saw the article on the Zeppelins. The one thing that got me was the reference to the Zeppelins causing the damage. I thought that it was the bombs that they dropped that did the damage

The whole piece was a bit sloppy in places I thought - it would at least have been good to get it accurate when they were talking about a centenary.  The bomb they showed invites a few questions as well - it wasn't a 50kg high explosive bomb, it looked quite different from photos of those, and they were certainly the sort used in the first Zeppelin raids on the East Coast.  However one online source states that the bombs dropped on the first raid over London were thermite filled incendiaries so it might be one of those - but what was said about the bombing didn't seem entirely consistent with that.  So, all-in-all, not exactly a deeply researched piece.

Incidentally going back to my other comment I believe the French landings in Pembroke in 1797 were the last time foreign troops landed in force on British soil.

And g'night all.

• Like 4