The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

As his next couple of years will be in Utrecht, I am not sure what accent he will come back with.

Tony

As long as it nothing like Steve McClaren's efforts.

• Like 1

Morning all. Not a lot going on today except avoiding the football.

Rick - I hope that you can come to a decision that you're happy with.

Richard - I saw on the forecast that it was going to be a bit cold this morning but didn't expect you to be de-icing the car. Enjoy DEMU.

Polly - Some really nice photos of Chester. One of the few places in the country that I haven't been to.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Great pics Ian, I noticed that a couple of the chairs in the pub are former church pews, you can tell by the 'bible box' on the back. I have a couple of similar chairs, they were purchased by my father well over sixty years ago from a church that was being rebuilt. I think my dad bought four or six and the two I have are the last survivors. They are now covered in several coats of paint and I am considering having them stripped and re-varnished. I can just about remember my dad bringing them home and removing the 'bible boxes' and they were used as dining chairs for several years afterwards. They probably date from the mid twenties when the original church was opened, the reason my dad purchased them was that at the time new furniture was still rationed and hard to come by.

• Like 10

Morning all from the boring borough.

Sherry, so sorry for your loss.

Too many pages to try and catch up so congrats and commiserations as appropriate.

Finally got the MRI results on my knee. Not great but could have been worse. Ligaments intact but there's a tear in the lateral meniscus, bone spurs, and a cyst to contend with. Some general degradation. Likely outcome will now be surgery to mend the tear,etc. likely a full on knee replacement in 10 years.

SWMBO's birthday yesterday. Day spent garden stuff shopping and playing staycation tourist. One too many strong beers though. I've been penguined. (Roundhouse will understand the phrase) We also had a rather nice dinner out.

Work is cockwomble Central. That's about as polite as I can put it.

Have a great day everyone.

Visualise whirled peas

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Problems logging onto e-mail this morning (again).

BT's advice:

'Try logging out and logging in again'.

Probably best if you e-mailed their support team.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

AndyiD - those pics are at the Welshpool & Llanfair, not the Talyllyn.  Nice pics of Chester Polly, the last time I went there was behind steam - a very fast run behind a Black 5 from Salop, but in those days such engines were still about in their hundreds.

Anyway I'm informed that we might be going out, destination to be decided.  So I hope the conversion of the asparagus bought yesterday into soup will take place tomorrow and not be overlooked by the catering dept.  We are also considering planting more in the garden (we only have one root at present and it's not yet producing edible output).  No news yet today from the continental travellers - laddo by now have left Marne Le Vallee enroute to Rheims while the good Doctor is 'somewhere in Germany' I think by now enroute to Nurnberg - job to keep up with them at times.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 13

Today I can report it is officially, "Dull in Hull". It's more than that, it's sissing down. Still it slakes the dust and washes the horse muck out of the tram lines!

I had even got up early (early for me that is) to paint with preserver our new front fence. I suppose I will have to sit at this desk all day. It's a lousy job but someone has to do it!

Enjoy your day if you can.

I can report now that the rain stopped about 1.30pm and I took advantage of that to get a coat of preservative applied. I completed my task and was in the process of brush cleaning when the rain returned. I had visions of brown stains creeping across the footpath but after inspection this morning, all seems to be well. However my chalked "Wet Paint" signs on said footpath have gone!

I am now awaiting the "Clerk of Works" inspection!

News Flash

There have been mutterings of a shopping trip now. 

As long as I'm back for the football, even though it is the wrong shaped ball.

Have a good day you all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Stopped in Widecombe in the Moor, another MUST SEE village. Thoroughly recommended, but the road in is NOT for the feint of heart

"Widecombe-in-the-Middle-of-Nowhere" as she is called by SWMBO.  The scenery impressed her, not so the isolation.  The roads are for locals or at least those accustomed to narrow and steep lanes.  I used to drive buses in such places so they present no problem to me.  The setting beneath Great Hound Tor is truly superb. Just don't go around singing about Tom Pearce and a grey mare ;)

Grey and cool winter's day here with a few lovely sunny breaks.  By cool I mean 15C which some would regard as a half-decent summer's day!

Decisions have been made.  I had a frank conversation with the senior manager who ultimately assigns names to lines on the roster.  She understands where I stand and likewise.  I have accepted the position close to home as of 14th June but with the understanding that if someone in the role I seek prefers to move (i.e. a straight swap) or an unexpected vacancy arises I then get first refusal of returning whence I have been.  That seems a good outcome.  Some comments made have implied there is a bit of discontent in the ranks about losing someone they regard as an extremely competent all-rounder and a railwayman to boot.  Too many customer-facing staff are only there because they effectively live there or have no rail background nor interest but passed the recruitment testing.  

Let's see what the longer term brings.  I might have been last in, first out, on the street.  At least the rail industry looks after its own however short their term of service.

• RMweb Gold

I went back in history until I was logged on and warned them about the upcoming problem.

Then if they solved the problem before it arose you must be imagining things.

I would see a doctor if I were you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We were driving near Widecombe a few years ago. It was around the occasion of some royal anniversary and every elderly local seemed to be out driving while under the influence. I saw one vehicle careering towards us so pulled over to allow him to pass. As his open window passed mine I thought perhaps he was going to thank me but just let out abuse and cider fumes about people who didn't know how wide their cars were. At another village there was a road closure with drunks managing the traffic.

As the car I now drive is a teensy bit wider than many I am always looking for potential passing places to reverse to when in the countryside.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning, a quick look in, busy house cleaning as other half due back later today from her trip to Cyprus to see her sister and mother.

Nice dry and sunny day here but with a breeze, hey ho now to attack the kitchen ( its ok by my standards) and then I'm done as long as I don't make a mess this afternoon.

Enjoy the rest of the day folks

Alan

• Like 5

Update on the "travels"...

1) We were in Bodmin, but it was CHUCKING IT DOWN, so decided against taking the train, probably a good idea, photos though.

Don't be misled by the one where it looks like it isn't raining!! Anyway it was just a GWR Pannier on duty, so who really cared <ducking>

attachicon.gifBodmin-1.jpg

attachicon.gifBodmin-2.jpg

attachicon.gifBodmin-3.jpg

2) As it was still chucking it down we decided against the Eden Project - glad we did now as the 23 quid price would have been too steep considering the time we were prepared to spend there - wanting to go through Dartmoor anyway!!

3) Went via Dartmoor as our route to Dawlish, managed several nice panoramas that I may well use as background for model railways...

Weather as we started in was overcast and raining, but cleared perfectly as can be seen by the pictures for some stunning partly cloudy vistas!

attachicon.gifDartmoor-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDartmoor-2.jpg

attachicon.gifDartmoor-3.jpg

attachicon.gifDartmoor-4.jpg

attachicon.gifDartmoor-5.jpg

attachicon.gifDartmoor-6.jpg

attachicon.gifDartmoor-7.jpg

4) Stopped in Widecombe in the Moor, another MUST SEE village. Thoroughly recommended, but the road in is NOT for the feint of heart :jester:

The Inn is said to be haunted...

attachicon.gifWidecombe-1.jpg

attachicon.gifWidecombe-2.jpg

attachicon.gifWidecombe-4.jpg

attachicon.gifWidecombe-5.jpg

5) Arrived in Dawlish, the weather was amazing. Sunny, and a light breeze, I think we are tracking good weather with us somehow! :)

View of the apartment we'll share for 3 nights

attachicon.gifDawlish-5.jpg

attachicon.gifDawlish-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDawlish-2.jpg

attachicon.gifDawlish-3.jpg

The Dawlish Black Swans

attachicon.gifDawlish-4.jpg

That's it for now as we're off to take the train in to Paignton, then the Dart Valley Railway down to Kingswear (more GWR <sigh> but at least it's steam!)

Weather right now is still holding as delightful, partly cloudy and mild.

Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

.....a useful guide which various locals and railway photographers have passed on over time Ian, is 'if the weather is poor on one coast of Cornwall/Devon then head for the other, as it almost always changes'....a phenomenom noted by yourself too.

You're within striking distance of Sidmouth, Beer & Seaton now. Here are a few clips....apologies for the first scene, I misread the number tag....

A little T9 action on the Bodmin railway

Brakevan rides behind a small Prairie on the Boscarne branch

....and the Beattie well tank

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 6

Afternoon all,

Quick post as I've been warned that the weather is due to turn rough and the grass is looking 'a bit long'! Guess what I'm off to do!

Rick, I'm pleased that you have reached a decision and hope it proves to be the correct move in the long term - not a very pleasant way to be treated by an employer!

Dave(TG), a lovely couple of videos, thank you. I fully agree about the climate in the West Country - where I lived in Cornwall, the peninsula was only eight miles across, but you could experience pouring rain on one coast and drive to the other to top up your tan!

Ian(Abel), another nice set of images - let's hope the weather continues to be kind to you.

AndyID, that 'Clan' brought back memories - I earned a few shillings changing (for a modified one) the head gasket on one for a friend. More evidence of cost cutting by Rootes - the alloy used for head and block was much lower spec. than that of the original design. This led to pitting of the surface, which in turn led to gasket failure! Strangely, the same happened with Rover's in later times with their copy of the Honda engine design on models like the '214'! I have to agree that I noticed Mrs ID more than the loco!

Pete(trisonic), I found a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright's work fascinating and I've got a 'coffee table' type book on his various projects. I loved it when he integrated his designs with the natural rock formations. Had no idea of the connection with Anthony 'Zorba the Greek' Quinn however - just goes to prove the old saying that 'you learn something new every day'!

AndrewC, I'm glad to hear that you at least know what you are up against, and whilst I am sorry to hear of the severity of the damage, hopefully now you can manage the situation to delay the replacement as long as possible. I am sad to report that a fair percentage of my disabled customers that had that job done, discovered that it wasn't always successful so I hope you can work out a routine that will slow down the deterioration! Very best of luck with it.

Murmurs about some clouds in the distance now so I'm off to dust down the strummer and mower! Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks, and good luck to fans of either team at Wembley - I've got MotoGP at Mugello to keep me happy tomorrow!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 8

Morning all from Estuary-Land. MCC Law 43 just has to be Murphy's law, if something can go wrong it will, evidenced by the fact that it has been omitted from the rules of cricket leaving only 42 rules. Glad to hear Jocks good news and congratulations and commiserations where necessary to other ER's.

EDIT no less than 7 new entries while I was typing the above (I'll have to practice using a second finger.) Even at £23 I still think that the Eden Project is value for money but I can see that for four people it can be very expensive.

....we paid the £23ish apiece Phil and felt that we had a reasonable experience for that price. I was however a little concerned to hear more of the overall pricing policy for admissions, which suggested that some visiting parties etc were heavily subsidised by others, such as the two of us.

Dave

Amazingly, I have managed to get the grass cut today. The grass was pretty dry but the ground was still pretty soft in places. This meant leaving muddy tramlines! However, by the time I had finished, the mud had dried and it didn't look too bad. Now I must get on with the jobs I was supposed to be doing today!

post-7952-0-31673200-1432993193_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Bright and sunny here, but not all that warm, really.

It's the Test Weekend at Le Mans. Half the idea with Sherry being here by now was that she would quickly determine just how boring/noisy/impenetrable the whole thing might be, and make suitable excuses for the race in a fortnight! Yesterday and today are the Scrutineering Days, when cars are moved by muscle-power only, and examined in every detail to ensure conformity with the regs. Tomorrow the circuit opens and they bat round all day to see how fast they are. I only stayed a couple of hours yesterday, but made much more of today - when the drivers tend to be "about". They have to attend individual registration and briefing sessions, so are wandering back and forth from the paddock to the allotted building. Position yourself in between and you'll see most of them. As it was, I went for an early coffee, and had hardly sat down when Tom Kristensen walked past. So Sherry would have seen the Dane, now retired, who has won LM 9 times, more than any other driver. Later I saw him in conversation with another Dane, Jan Magnussen, father of 2014 F1 driver Kevin, of course. I also caught, maybe snapped, former F1 people in Mark Webber and Sebastien Buemi, not to mention current F1 driver Nico Hulkenberg, who seems to be moonlighting and ensuring he has a future if/when F1 gives him up.

I'll see if any of my pics are worthy of posting here a little later.

Andrew C's knee sounds dreadful, not least because he's by no means among the oldest of ERs folk. A great shame.

Glad Dom has finally read the runes and left a job that he didn't enjoy for one he should love. Smart move.

Hope your weekend works to your satisfaction.

• Like 14

Visited Cockington, the scene of the impending nuptials. Admired the Registry Office and The Drum, duly impressed.

There was a wedding being held there and they were taking the 'before' pix - the bride and bridesmaids, all of Devonshire Dumpling proportions, wore nuclear dresses - plenty of scope for fallout.

We did visit the craft place and Sandy bought some glass - there are, amongst others, a glass blower and a blacksmith working there.

Now it's back to pack up ready for the journey home tomorrow.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 16