The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning!

Mostly clear skies at dawn.

Expected high temperature of 88f (31C) today - which will make my old joints feel good. This is dubbed as “Very Warm” here...

Officially I switched over to my collection of shorts yesterday.

Many Happy Returns of the Day,  Dr. SC. xxx

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11

Morning all (just).

Bright but cool here in Carshalton-sur-Mer and as it's a Bank Holiday the Whelkmen are abed and marshalling their strength. Or something. 

Happy Birthday, Mrs S-C. And welcome back to the land of the enlightened, Killy B.

I've been modelling. Well, airbrushing the black parts of some locos. I found some Tamiya paint in Hobbycraft last week, which was labelled 'Thinners'. Eh? It seems to be 'Thinned for Airbrush' and works a treat. Good stuff, but the range was limited. Also, changing out the bent needle in the airbrush makes a difference! Why do I never see them getting bent? Perhaps it's some supernatural creature that comes in the night and bends needles and blunts scalpels and spreads crud on the edges of the masking tape. I must have a legion of the little . And they all hate me.

Has anyone ever worked out the ratio of time spent masking a loco compared to spraying it? I think it's about 25:1. More if you add in cleaning the airbrush afterwards.

Still, the ECBNLR fleet is coming along (2 Bachmann J72s started and a Nellie on her way). Still no track or rolling stock, though I've just seen a brilliant idea on Nile's Freelance thread - a bogie coach made by sticking two Hornby 4-wheelers together (end to end probably). Looks ace and I've got a few of those laying around that I used for painting practice, and they do come up frequently at boot sales for a fiver. In fact that thread is a huge inspiration, and I'm nicking some of his ideas for detailing Nellie (if only I could get a cheapo Electrotrens 0-6-0 chassis...)

So have a good day, relax into the Bank Holiday vibe, don't think about tomorrow.

• Like 11

Morning all,

Sad to hear yesterday that the Nobel prize winning mathematician John Nash and his wife were killed when their taxi crashed on the New Jersey freeway. I don't know if any of you have seen the very moving film, 'A Beautiful Mind' with Russel Crowe, which highlights Nash's battle with schizophrenia. RIP.

Gordon (bluebottle), I thought you had raided my study as I have copies of several of the books behind the brandy bottle ! I fully agree about Spike, strange how so many of our funniest comedy characters led such sad existences off-stage. Loved the epitaph he wanted on his gravestone - 'I told you I was ill!'

Ian(Abel), glad to hear your plans are working - if you should arrive at Tintagel around lunchtime, there used to be a superb little pastie shop opposite the entrance to the castle car park where you could see the ladies making them. An authentic taste and one that Joanna and I sampled often! Hope the weather gods smile on you for the rest of the trip.

John(KB), great to see you got back safely, even though it sounds like a marathon to get home!

Off now to do gravestone/flower tasks at the local cemetery!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday Station Cat.

ER at 0530 for an "interesting" (fun) round of golf. One of our members makes up a cross-country route. mixing up various tees and greens. 5th tee to 14th hole for example. There were a couple of places where ingenuity was required to plot a suitable route as there was a choice. 11th tee to 4th green - crossing five fairways, one public footpath and a three water hazards within 500 yards. Easy par!

Nearly won, but picked up 2nd again in as many weeks. All this practise and playing is making me lucky.

Full breakfast was then consumed and I went back to bed!

Now it's a quick tidy up before Mrs NB comes back after three days camping with the Guides. All she'll want to do is sleep, so NB junior and me are off to Belle Vue, Manchester to watch my nephew partake in some contact motor racing......

Enjoy what's left of the BH.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

Morning all. Sort of a catch up from the weekend. Railex on Saturday, followed by a couple of pints in the Farmers Bar in Aylesbury. The other guys had a session, but I was on my bike and had to limit my consumption.

I drove down to Nick on Sunday and put a coat of paint on the Ashbury backscene. The quid pro quo is that Nick is painting an LMS bogie parcels van for me. The next quid pro quo is that I built it for Ashbury.

Today has been working on four SR vans (also for Ashbury) and listening to the test match.

Have a good one. Bill

• Like 8

Bee swarm! That was fun. I called an ex-colleague who now chairs the county honey bunch society and doubles as swarm collector, and got the irresistible opportunity to answer his question 'how big are they? with 'ooh, about half an inch' . I expect I have earned myself a big black mark somewhere...

Helen brought me a litre of Croatian brandy. It's a bit more fiery than I remember it...

Fiery is what you want. Grill fillet or other tender cut of choice lightly. Pour over the Fiery stuff and ignite. When extinction occurs, leave cut in warm place to rest while the fluid in the bottom of the grill pan is further reduced to form a delicious jus. Combine and consume. Typically the higher the paintstripper quality the spirit approaches, the better is the end result after combustion, in my experience. Anyone know of defintie exceptions?

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Managed to catch up for the first time in weeks - but will be off the air for sure tomorrow.  Possibly Wednesday as well, as Lily needs an ear flush at the vets.

Mixed sort of a day here - cloudy, sunny, not too warm.  Had to visit the food emporium as I'll be otherwise engaged tomorrow.  Also paint brush duty called (great) as there are a few areas of the house which could benefit from a spruce up.

Got to go, as there's still a few jobs to tackle here as well as walkies.

Regards to All

Stewart

Do you remember me talking about the car making strange, rather nasty, noises, not long after we arrived in France, that then mysteriously disappeared. Today they are back. I knew I should have kept my fingers permanently crossed. I will certainly have them crossed tomorrow in the hope that we make it as far as the garage!

Do you remember me talking about the car making strange, rather nasty, noises, not long after we arrived in France, that then mysteriously disappeared. Today they are back. I knew I should have kept my fingers permanently crossed. I will certainly have them crossed tomorrow in the hope that we make it as far as the garage!

Quelle bummer!

• RMweb Premium

Hope they're not strange nasty expensive noises, John.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A successful trip to the swap meet this morning, managed to bag a few bargains, some Oxford and Classix cars and vans at £2.50 each, an EFE Bristol Lodekker (factory reject?) in post 1971 NBC green and marked up Eastern National but no destinations or number plates and in the clear plastic 'inners'. The dealer had a large box of them at £4.50 each, I should have got more of them as they would be ideal for code 3's. The last diecast I got was a code 3, an EFE RT converted to an emergency tender. A very neat and well executed conversion for £10 but I intend to make a few alterations. On the flanged wheel front I picked up a 'complete' 009 model railway for £20. Consisting of an almost finished white metal model of FR 4-6-0T Mountaineer with Arnold chassis, 3 FR coaches, also part built but one coach minus a bogie and 4 unmade wagons, also all white metal. There was also an oval of N gauge set track as well. The last item was a PC models chassis kit for a 4 wheel tram with an adjustable wheelbase and complete with a Mabuchi motor, all for the grand sum of £2.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I'm envious. Where would I find details of coming swapmeets?

The one I visited was at Rayleigh, the chap who runs it under the name of SRP toy fairs also runs them in Kent, Sussex and Surrey. The Kent ones are held in Orpington, Dartford, Herne Bay, (Sunday) Hawkinge, (Saturday) and Tonbridge (Tuesday). The Orpington one is 9 or 10 times a year but the others are only six times a year or less as are the Sussex and Surrey ones. The next Orpington ones are the 21st of June, 26th of July and 23rd of August held at Crofton Halls 10am to 2pm. The next one in Kent is 7th June at the Dartford Science and Technology College. You can pick up a flyer giving details of all his toy fairs on the door his e-mail is http://srptoys1@hotmail.co.uk and the website is http://www.srptoyfairs1.co.uk

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

Evening, firstly Happy Birthday Station Cat, its been a great weekend having time away from the issues that surround us at the moment.

My boys bought me a surprise ticket to Wembley for the League 1 play offs so I met youngest son in Manchester early Sunday morning and we traveled to Euston to met by oldest son, off for lunch then off to Wembley.

The whole journey made worthwhile by a 4 nil win!

Overnight stay in his flat and train back to day.

Just nice to chill with my offspring and I was not allowed to pay for anything! that is the first time ever!!!!! and appreciated!

Whilst the sun is shining here we have a cold wind and a temp of 12c is not good for this time of year in my opinion!

Those of you who have high temps I'm envious!

Alan

• Like 13

The one I visited was at Rayleigh, the chap who runs it under the name of SRP toy fairs also runs them in Kent, Sussex and Surrey. The Kent ones are held in Orpington, Dartford, Herne Bay, (Sunday) Hawkinge, (Saturday) and Tonbridge (Tuesday). The Orpington one is 9 or 10 times a year but the others are only six times a year or less as are the Sussex and Surrey ones. The next Orpington ones are the 21st of June, 26th of July and 23rd of August held at Crofton Halls 10am to 2pm. The next one in Kent is 7th June at the Dartford Science and Technology College. You can pick up a flyer giving details of all his toy fairs on the door his e-mail is http://srptoys1@hotmail.co.uk and the website is http://www.srptoyfairs1.co.uk

Thanks for that, Phil.

None of those are very local, which is probably why I didn't know of them. There used to be a regular one in Sutton (Thomas Wall Centre) and one in Mitcham, but they seem to have either gone or gone underground.

I got a copy of Classics Illustrated #1 for 20p at the Sutton one...

>edit<

Not local except for the one two miles away which I missed!

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sad to hear yesterday that the Nobel prize winning mathematician John Nash and his wife were killed when their taxi crashed on the New Jersey freeway. I don't know if any of you have seen the very moving film, 'A Beautiful Mind' with Russel Crowe, which highlights Nash's battle with schizophrenia. RIP.

I had indeed read about Nash and his struggle some time ago and found it both depressing – not only because of the severity of his illness but also considering how long he needed to recover – and encouraging at the same time as it did show that it is possible to do a turn-around even with a condition that serious. I also read about another scientist who was afflicted by schizophrenia at one point and who, when interviewed years later, described how she had found that once she had again been able to focus on her work, it helped her get the remainders of the "bizarre stuff" off her mind and enabled her to sort it out as the waste of time it was.

Of course, I suppose one does need the proper support to be able to even recover sufficiently to begin with...

• RMweb Gold

post-7191-0-74884900-1432579159.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

my car had an expensive sounding noise... cost nothing to repair as it was a heat shield which fell off.. steel bolt plus thin aluminium sheet = 7 years before it corrodes through  then it makes an awful rattle - took 30 seconds to be taken off .. cost nil...a winner!

Spent a nice day at Harrogate watching Yorks U15s v Wales U15s. so far Yorks scored 221 for 8 off 61 overs, Wales 130-5 off 44 (at one point Wales were 0-2 the 1-4)  gamne continues tomorrow .. her indoors says its my turn to score.....

have an enjoyable Tuesday everyone

Baz

edited for Mick.

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3