The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes life is a bastard!  Other times however it isn't and on here we can laugh & cry, rant & rave,  sympathise & empathise. We can't alter the inevitable but we can make the most of whatever it is we've got, whether it's a little or whether it's a lot.

Blimey. it seems that Bob is (almost) becoming poetical - must be the beer. Another Pride please barman.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Smiffy, I'm sure the Debs/trains thing is a joke....she is a lady of some considerable skill and experience, and is also quick to offer advice in her field!  Many fields.....

Wish it would warm up, 13c max on 20th May, ridiculous.

Little else of note to report, other than wishing those with sadness and illness well and supportive e-thoughts.

• RMweb Gold

Crappy news day today having just read through the last few posts.

My woes pale into insignificance in comparison with what others seem to be going through, so my thoughts are with you all at this time.

I saw the Ophalmologist yesteday, for a 6 monthly check up and pointed out I was having a little bit of difficulty with my right eye.

When I am looking at vertical lines like door panels or fence posts, they appear to have a kink in them.

Apparently this indicates a problem with the macular area of the eye, so immediately there is the possibility of developing wet macular degeneration.

Fortunately this doesn't appear to be the case, as after investigation it appears to be simply a leakage of blood from between the macular and the back of the eye.

This has formed a clot and since it is pressing the macular area, causing the distortion.

Obviously he does not want to open up the eye for a third time unless absolutely necessary, so I'm currently under observation with the usual instructions about emergency contact should the condition worsen.

We are hoping it will clear itself up in time.

Of course now this will happen:

Do you like the authentic bend I've put in that tender handrail?

What to you mean? It's perfectly straight!

Just don't ask me to play darts :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes life is a bastard!  Other times however it isn't and on here we can laugh & cry, rant & rave,  sympathise & empathise. We can't alter the inevitable but we can make the most of whatever it is we've got, whether it's a little or whether it's a lot.

Blimey. it seems that Bob is (almost) becoming poetical - must be the beer. Another Pride please barman.

Agreed, but I wanted to like it as well.

Nicely put GB

• Like 1

Bob, after reading through todays posts, I couldn't have put it any better

• Like 1

Memorial Day on Monday, the unofficial start to Summer.

You're late! Summer started last weekend - the Victoria Day weekend.

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

When I am looking at vertical lines like door panels or fence posts, they appear to have a kink in them.

Been there , done that , got the T shirt so I know just what you mean .

Mine was actually a Macular hole , operation carried out to close it using a gas bubble , then as this

operation causes a cataract to form I waited nearly a year to have that removed , it was done a week

ago so now waiting for the followup .

There is still a very tiny distortion at dead center of the eye but 99.9% better than before  the op .

:drinks: Well said that man - hugs, best wishes and condolences to them as need them (and the list does indeed seem to have suddenly lengthened).

On a related, but lighter, note I have just finished three days of first aid training. I'd encourage you all to go in for some kind of first aid training because it can, and does, save lives - one of the main things holding back the UK's survival rates for heart attacks etc is that so few people can do CPR.

The course was very informative and extremely funny. Assessment was via taskbook which had a combo of things the instructor must see you do, things you need to write down and multiple choice questions. The first multiple choice question was things you can do to prevent infection and one of the (incorrect) answers was 'remove casualties clothing'. The next three days were spent making jokes about removing clothing (no we don't really do political correctness where I work). We also had a great instructor who encouraged 'casualties' to behave realistically rather than providing helpful hints to their first aider. Thus people were sworn at, pretend puked over, and not allowed to touch. But I think I might win the amateur dramatics prize cos nobody else thought of choking on their vomit (which is actually a major risk).

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

According to yesterday's paper having a dog significantly reduces the probability of eye problems. Not sure about newspaper reports that include "significantly" and "probability" but I suppose it makes up for all the mayhem Robbie causes. He has been eating socks again, not mine though.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

:drinks: Well said that man - hugs, best wishes and condolences to them as need them (and the list does indeed seem to have suddenly lengthened).

On a related, but lighter, note I have just finished three days of first aid training. I'd encourage you all to go in for some kind of first aid training because it can, and does, save lives - one of the main things holding back the UK's survival rates for heart attacks etc is that so few people can do CPR.

The course was very informative and extremely funny. Assessment was via taskbook which had a combo of things the instructor must see you do, things you need to write down and multiple choice questions. The first multiple choice question was things you can do to prevent infection and one of the (incorrect) answers was 'remove casualties clothing'. The next three days were spent making jokes about removing clothing (no we don't really do political correctness where I work). We also had a great instructor who encouraged 'casualties' to behave realistically rather than providing helpful hints to their first aider. Thus people were sworn at, pretend puked over, and not allowed to touch. But I think I might win the amateur dramatics prize cos nobody else thought of choking on their vomit (which is actually a major risk).

I did a first aid course during my teacher training year. My friend displeased the tutor when he ruptured the RessusciAnnie device.

• RMweb Premium

According to yesterday's paper having a dog significantly reduces the probability of eye problems. Not sure about newspaper reports that include "significantly" and "probability" but I suppose it makes up for all the mayhem Robbie causes. He has been eating socks again, not mine though.

I'm mildly allergic to dogs and if I touch one and then put my hands near my eyes, then my eyes swell up!

Can't say much more to the posts above regarding bad news. I hope I've ticked the right boxes. My thoughts are with all that need them.

Dick, Chassis building can be most rewarding and as long as the motor is isolated from the chassis, then retrofitting a DCC decoder should be easy - especially if you allow space at the build stage.

Gordon - As for golf clubs that don't work properly once they've been paid for. I also have the same tee-shirt.

Cheers,

Mick

Another good day on the Ratty with a few 'firsts' for me.  I was first given a proper 'Ratty fleece', so now actually do bear some resemblance to a guard on the line.  Then I managed three return trips for the first time, one of which was a cab ride to show me how to make the loco safe in case of emergency.  The most unexpected first was to be greeted by name by one of our passengers, who recognised me from my RMWeb avatar!  This turned out to be Ohmisterporter of this parish, and is the first time I have knowingly met any ERs 'for real'.  It was great to be able to chat to another ER, albeit briefly due to my duties.  Hopefully more will follow.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Howay the Lads!!

Seems like life is giving ERs a little kick in the teeth at the moment - fortuitously ERs seem to be very helpful in times of need....

Have a great pre POETS day - me I have a little T20 scheduled for Thursday evening then it full on at the weekend with trips to Cleethorpes and Shepley planned.

Sleep safely everyone - NHN did you get anything back from Trev?

Baz

• Like 7

Thanks for all the supports, ladies and gents. It's appreciated.

And, indeed, Haway the Lads! What a relief...

Normal hamfisted idiocy will be resumed tomorrow.

• Like 11

Morning all,

Very brief visit as I'm late on here tonight and just played catch-up! My sincere condolences to all of those who have lost someone to cancer, or indeed has a family member or friend diagnosed with the disease. When the end is inevitable, all that can be done is to make sure the patient is as comfortable as possible and above all, free from pain. Those that aren't in imminent danger, use your will power, and this is when the support of family and friends is so important! I would always advise contact with the MacMillan organisation as well - they have been fantastic for us. Above all, stay positive and don't despair - I was told, in April 2013 that I had possibly one to two years maximum but new drugs and a positive attitude, as well as a successful operation have meant that I'm still here, and I'm determined to be so for some time to come! Anyone affected in any way by what they've read on here, is very welcome to PM me for a discreet chat - I wear the t-shirt 'Stand up to Cancer!' It would be nice to have the opportunity to help give something back for all the fantastic support I've had.

Very early start tomorrow but I'll be back on later, meanwhile let's hope for more cheerful news then!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night owls!

• Like 4

Morning all. A quick visit while I get my caffeine levels up before spending the day in a classroom.

I'm hoping that there is no more bad news this week for ER's. There seems to have been far too much recently. Which reminds me. I hope Trev and Taz are OK.

Have a good day everyone