The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I always like hearing Aditi's response to "we value your opinion" type marketing calls that are really sales pitches. "How much value? Do you want my hourly or daily consultation rate?"

• Like 8

Evening all.

Cold phone calls - I always ask them what they're selling. They usually say 'nothing' so I ask why they're phoning me, do they know me? Have we met somewhere and I've forgotten? Then every time they start on their script say something like "Did I meet you at John's that time? You sound familiar. What's your name?" Eventually they give up. Or else I just put the phone down. There's no point in being rude, after all if they could get a better job they would, but I think wasting their time and unsettling them is OK.

Sherry - I wished you a happy birthday on Facebook but forgot to do it here - many apologies. I know you've had a good day.

Alan - terrible trials and tribulations. Maximum sympathy.

Here in le vieux port it's all good. Went out with Lord Hall (Alan) and Glenda (Glen) aka the Chuckle Brothers last night to be assailed in the pub by my cousin's husband and son, so much laughing and reminiscing. Then the Morris Men turned up... I also discovered that because the manager of the pub is a fully accredited Pagan priest he is able to perform weddings in the back room. And has. Good job I'm a child of the sixties. I'm looking forward to the Straw Jack celebration in September. Anyone local should come to that. Pagans, people dressing up, straw men, a drum troupe, bonfires and a hog roast. Not sure about the Morris Men. Might be overkill.

I have a question for the team. Here in the ER Vestibule we have a bunch of, it seems to me, very nice people who get along well without calling names or tossing their toys out of the pram. Not so in other areas... I've got some questions, technical, certainly modelling, that I need sensible people to answer, if they were to be so kind. Not sarky answers, or 'don't buy that one, get this one for £425' answers or 'how can you not know that?' answers. Or even worse 'Do you know about the search function?' What chance do I have if I open a thread and ask people for advice? Or should I just slip in the occasional one here and hope Debs is looking the other way?

Anyway. I can now claim to be the earliest riser today, even if I haven't gone to bed yet. Have a suitably dull hump day everybody.

Morning all,

Rather subdued mood tonight in view of the post from Alan (Shedman) - I obviously discussed what had happened with Joanna as her little sister (52years old) and her son, our nephew (39years old) both died of that nasty and as yet unsurvivable disease. It also finished off her dad, but in his late seventies. The family must be devastated and there is truly nothing we can say that will make things better other than to remind Alan what a kind and supportive bunch we have here on ERs, as I can testify from my own experience. We will be thinking of you and your good lady who must be completely distraught!

Sherry, I'm glad you had a nice birthday, and what a nice gesture from 'the old romantic of La Sarthe'!

I was lucky enough to have parents who preferred the 'home service' and it was on there in the mid fifties that I heard Dylan Thomas recite some of his poetry as well as that of others - an experience that has influenced me to this day! At least I didn't have to suffer 'Sing something simple'.

Gordon, I fully agree with your comments on the low-life types who prey on the vulnerable and I'm deeply concerned that the government seem to be encouraging it with the profusion of bingo/gambling sites being advertised these days, complete with inducements to trap the gullible! The only rule has to be - 'you get nothing for nothing'!!

As to the phone calls, I've decided not to climb on my soap box as getting too wound up at this time of night isn't conducive to sleeping well.

Lovely set of pics Jamie, although the jury is still out here on the subject of 'looks' when it comes to the '68'. No surprise from a committed steam fan I suppose. On the subject of 'trips' -

Usual fine images from John(KB) - you and your good lady appear to be enjoying the trip, despite the weather. Good to see that Ian (Abel) and his crew have surfaced again (not literally I hope!) - the weather is set to improve as the week proceeds hopefully.

The hump to negotiate now, let's hope there are no more nasty surprises awaiting us like the one I mentioned at the top of this post.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night insomniacs!

• Like 14

Deflation. Does this mean that if I save my money little trains will get cheaper so I can afford more of them?

Ed

Unless banks in your country follow the lead of some others and introduce negative interest rates on your savings. For example - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11480260/Sweden-slashes-interest-rates-further-into-negative-territory.html

Evening all.

Cold phone calls - I always ask them what they're selling. They usually say 'nothing' so I ask why they're phoning me, do they know me? Have we met somewhere and I've forgotten? Then every time they start on their script say something like "Did I meet you at John's that time? You sound familiar. What's your name?" Eventually they give up. Or else I just put the phone down. There's no point in being rude, after all if they could get a better job they would, but I think wasting their time and unsettling them is OK.

Sherry - I wished you a happy birthday on Facebook but forgot to do it here - many apologies. I know you've had a good day.

Alan - terrible trials and tribulations. Maximum sympathy.

Here in le vieux port it's all good. Went out with Lord Hall (Alan) and Glenda (Glen) aka the Chuckle Brothers last night to be assailed in the pub by my cousin's husband and son, so much laughing and reminiscing. Then the Morris Men turned up... I also discovered that because the manager of the pub is a fully accredited Pagan priest he is able to perform weddings in the back room. And has. Good job I'm a child of the sixties. I'm looking forward to the Straw Jack celebration in September. Anyone local should come to that. Pagans, people dressing up, straw men, a drum troupe, bonfires and a hog roast. Not sure about the Morris Men. Might be overkill.

I have a question for the team. Here in the ER Vestibule we have a bunch of, it seems to me, very nice people who get along well without calling names or tossing their toys out of the pram. Not so in other areas... I've got some questions, technical, certainly modelling, that I need sensible people to answer, if they were to be so kind. Not sarky answers, or 'don't buy that one, get this one for £425' answers or 'how can you not know that?' answers. Or even worse 'Do you know about the search function?' What chance do I have if I open a thread and ask people for advice? Or should I just slip in the occasional one here and hope Debs is looking the other way?

Anyway. I can now claim to be the earliest riser today, even if I haven't gone to bed yet. Have a suitably dull hump day everybody.

Dick,

There are some superb modellers with varying specialities who post in Jeff(physicsman)'s 'Lunester Lounge(Railway related topics only)' and they seem to be a bunch not unlike ERs. I would also think a visit to Andy Peter's 'Whittaker Street' might be useful. For a straight no nonsense answer, it is hard to beat Jason (Bacup) and he visits both frequently.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dick. I think ERs is a fairly safe place to ask questions whether model rail related or otherwise. I have seen some very odd answers given in other parts of the forum particularly so in anything involving electricity!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dick,

Like any media, it's important to filter out the carp and unfortunately, the internet has more than it's fair share. The trick is not to be wound up by anything that annoys you from a keyboard warrior. Pity I can't always admit to following that statement all the time though! 

If you ask a sensible question, I'm sure you will get a sensible answer from the knowledgeable folk beyond the realms of ER's. Having said that, there are a goodly number of knowledgeable folk within ER. At worst, you'll hopefully get a link to a suitable answer already out there.

Hump day for me is a shortish workday and another 9 holes of golf at about 4.30. (So I'm out before the junk phonecalls start about 6.......)

This evening was spent applying transfers to my 13 strong West Coast maroon set. As there's so many to do, I think the next 3-4 evenings will be carrying on with the same task.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

Deflation. Does this mean that if I save my money little trains will get cheaper so I can afford more of them?

Ed

I think it means Hornby and Bachmann are finally going to throw in the towel and scale everything at 1:87

OK, OK! No need to shove. I was just about to leave anyway.

• Like 3

Like any media, it's important to filter out the carp and unfortunately, the internet has more than it's fair share. The trick is not to be wound up by anything that annoys you from a keyboard warrior. Pity I can't always admit to following that statement all the time though! 

If you ask a sensible question, I'm sure you will get a sensible answer from the knowledgeable folk beyond the realms of ER's. Having said that, there are a goodly number of knowledgeable folk within ER. At worst, you'll hopefully get a link to a suitable answer already out there.

...and as Andrew-Montana taught me, you can always put certain individuals on "ignore". Works quite well too.

Morning All,

It is a rather gloomy morning today.  We have fairly low temperatures (9°C) and rain.  However, the heating system renovation seems to be going quite well at the moment.  The blokes arrived yesterday morning, and after a couple of hours they had the old system drained down, removed and out in the front garden!  When they left yesterday evening, the new hot water tank is in place, the new plastic flue pipe is inside the chimney, the new boiler is in place, and they have made a start connecting it all up.

Mercedes is overseeing the work today, and the radiator valves are due to be changed.  The new valves only allow enough water in the radiators to provide the necessary heating capacity for the room.  This means less water, and less energy to heat the water.  Work in the cellar will continue at the same time.

Sorry to hear your news, Alan. 

Oh well - time for a coffee.  Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 13

Morning all. Another flying visit this morning.

Alan - Really sorry to hear of your problems. The only thing I can offer is my sympathy and morale support. Trying times indeed.

Hump day today. Have a good day everyone

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Why, oh, why do I keep waking up well before sunrise even in the warm months? 

Anyway, errands to be run, one of which being having my bike treated to a professional inspection...

Cheers, everyone...

• RMweb Gold

I have a question for the team. should I just slip in the occasional one here and hope Debs is looking the other way?

Don't you know that?

Haven't you heard of the search facility?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very sorry to hear your bad news Alan.

Rather fresh start here at 5.00 am with a temperature of 4oC. However the sky is blue and the sun has made an appearance. Bright or sunny spells with scattered showers,some heavy, are forecast.

Knee still playing up so not much planned although I may try a gentle stroll to see if I can loosen it up a bit.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here. I don't think it is due to rain today.

Apart from the trek to the pavement with bin bags I don't really have anything planned.

Tony

• Like 6

Then the Morris Men turned up... I also discovered that because the manager of the pub is a fully accredited Pagan priest he is able to perform weddings in the back room. And has. Good job I'm a child of the sixties. I'm looking forward to the Straw Jack celebration in September. Anyone local should come to that. Pagans, people dressing up, straw men, a drum troupe, bonfires and a hog roast. Not sure about the Morris Men.

They aren't building a big thing with two arms and two legs out of basket weaving stuff by any chance?

• RMweb Gold

Another sunny morning with no clouds in sight at the moment here in Surrey. Some very heavy rain and hail yesterday and more rain predicted for today. I was hoping to cut the grass this week!!!

Swapped cars round mums last night and a few tasks to sort out for her. Tonight I may get a night at home for the first time this week.

Also trying to find out whether we are actually doing a particular show in June as sent the paperwork off but we don't appear on their show list for layouts. Might suit us if we are not doing it as don't have enough operators at the moment although one friend from the North West said he can come down but he needs to know fairly soon in order to buy a cheap rail ticket.

This Saturday helping on a friends layout at Gravesend.

Monday's plans are still up in the sir with the looming rail strike.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

Morning from Braunston marina...

Internet access at least reasonable enough to post pictures continues to plague us. Managed a couple to farce bark then access went down to stone-age abilities.

Can't even get through ER post...

Trying one last time, we're starting back soon as I can get the sorry crew woken up :)

Looks like commiserations are needed though unable to see post - sorry all - thoughts with everyone...

• Like 2

You could do what I do - profess ignorance about everything.

Usually it is truthful.

• Like 3

In search of excitement I staged a car accident on Wittering Moor yesterday.

It's easy in N.

Hold a match to one of two cheap plastic cars and immediately press them together.

Now, who sells little policemen?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The sun is shining ...washing being..er washed.

Dick, stick the odd question on here. I am sure Debs wouldn't mind. (I hope)

Busy day so Tara for now!

But, before I go can anyone else remember the Jack Jackson show? Brilliant!

Baz

• Like 4