The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Quick computing question: Would it make any sense to get an external HDD for doing incremental system backups (meaning a total backup of the system plus any files added after the full backup was created) which is larger than the computer's internal disk (or disks)? I would think it does not... :unsure:

Quick computing question: Would it make any sense to get an external HDD for doing incremental system backups (meaning a total backup of the system plus any files added after the full backup was created) which is larger than the computer's internal disk (or disks)? I would think it does not... :unsure:

Yes it does!

Speaking from experience of having a disk head chisel the platter, keep your backup on a totally different device.

Advantage of having it on a USB disc is that you can then keep the backup outside of your computer's location (i.e. an offsite backup!)

HTH

Yes - especially with a Mac, as Time Machine creates backups that can be restored from a number of dates, so takes up more room than the data on your hard drive does. I need to invest in a larger externally HDD soon. I have a 500GB one and while my Mac doesn't have that much data on it yet, I upgraded it to a 1.5TB hard drive so it could soon exceed the size ofthe backup disc!

Has anyone any updates on the fire at the Mid Hants at their new engine shed, I heard it was 2 carriages, 08 shunter, and the tender belonging to the U class which were the casualties. PhilH if your out there can you possibily update us about this sad event.

ATB, Martyn.

Has anyone any updates on the fire at the Mid Hants at their new engine shed, I heard it was 2 carriages, 08 shunter, and the tender belonging to the U class which were the casualties. PhilH if your out there can you possibily update us about this sad event.

ATB, Martyn.

That ties up with what our local paper says, Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

Difficult to get used to this being my ER time - would have gone on a lot sooner today, but I took the laptop downstairs last night, shoved it behind the chair when I was finished, and then forgot it when I spent 15 minutes getting up the stairs to go to bed, and realised it was still downstairs about 15 minutes after Mrs 45156 went to work, and I can't do the stairs on my own or carrying anything for now, so this is my first chance to get online!

Quite painful today as I try to cut down on the tramadol, but had one about half an hour ago, so should see the benefits soon.

Nice to be back, and overwhelmed by the messages of support on here - I've had more from my cyber friends than from my work!

Regards to all

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I'll be joining you after Friday Stewart - just heard that my op is Fri am - got to be in Bournemouth at 07-15. When I'm discharged (after 48 hours) I'm going to stay with my daughter for a while, get used to being on crutches. Apparently I have to spend 10 weeks on the things (unless my hearing is going as well)

Pardon?

Guest Max Stafford

Dominik, I would most definitely acquire an external hard drive for back-up. I use one myself and can thoroughly recommend it because you just never know when your computer will go twang!

Good luck for the op, Phil and hope you're on the mend quickly along with Stewart.

Upon returning home today, I saw I had a note from Parcelforce, telling me I had a parcel being kept at the local PO just round the corner. Upon collecting it, I see it is my new airbrush compressor with gauge, water trap and receiver tank. This means I can now spray for longer without causing a noise.

As it's big enough to stand on the floor, it also frees up space on my bench too!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Dominik, I would most definitely acquire an external hard drive for back-up. I use one myself and can thoroughly recommend it because you just never know when your computer will go twang!

Oh yeah, ask me how I know about such things...! :lol: (On reflection, though - no, don't do it...)

I think it's not so much a question of whether to get an external HDD, but rather of which size it should be. Fortunately, decently sized disks are no longer unreasonably priced.

• RMweb Gold

Phil, I hope all goes well with the op.

Although we will be on holiday I should be able to catch up with what is going on on RMweb as this time I'm taking my netbook PC on holiday to download photos to instead of buying more SD cards all the time. Most of the hotels (and the ferry!) have wifi.

I had a trial pack to see how many suitcases we could get in the car. We won't be taking as many as we took on the plane to the US last year though I suspect they may weigh more!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

So, we're heading towards the weekend once again! :lol: There appears to have been some rain over night, but they're saying it is to be warmer over the weekend, with 29° on Sunday.

Have a nice day, guys ;) ...

IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH PHIL?

Best wishes for the op and a quick and painless recovery!

Glad that you are doing OK Stewart.

Happy holiday Tony.

How's it going BoD? How is the weather treating you?

Partly cloudy here but a very cold strong wind blowing.

Two days till the weekend! :D

Morning All,

As Dominik said, it did indeed rain overnight here. Currently, it is misty but the sun is just starting to break through. Yesterday afternoon, we had our department barbecue which we were lucky enough to have the weather stay dry for. It looked touch and go for most of the morning and early afternoon, but then the sun came out. I spent much of the evening cooking food, and then headed home for a bike ride before it got dark.

It was one of those to remember - it was only 25km, but first of all I encountered a bagpiper practising in the forest, and then it started to rain. Boy, did it rain! In about 30 seconds, I was so wet that I couldn't get any wetter and there was no point in taking shelter. Great stuff! I was out in the middle of nowhere - the highest point for miles, and a thunderstorm was kicking off. I rode as fast as I could to the next village and by that time the storm was moving on. I was then treated to a beautiful sunset and a full 180° rainbow. It is a fantastic and beautiful world that we live in! :)

With regard to your hard drive question, Dominik. Get as big a drive as you can afford. The bigger the drive, the more incremental backups that you can store on it. You want to be able to store at least the whole drive and a number of incremental backups - so about double the size of the drive you are backing up is a good starting point. Go for more if you can!

Have a good day everyone...

All the best, Phil.

Take the guitar - you might earn a few bob in A&E.

Either that or someone will wrap it round Phil's neck!

Good luck in hostipol Phil. (I couldn't say hospital when I was little, so it was always hostipol) :D

• RMweb Gold

........it was always hostipol

Is that the NHS version of the transport police? Do they work closely with Interpol?

Don: I'm ver much enjoying pottering around, visiting places and watching trains. The weather isn't bad.

I think the C will try go keep a L on the whole thing, just to hide S 's enitiy.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather dull but dry weather here, though "Weather conditions: NW force 4 - 5 . Showers.Sea Conditions: Moderate" seems not too bad for this evening! It is a very big ferry.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, I suppose if Phil takes his guitar to hostipol thay may well send him home earlier.

Phil, we were speculating at club last night and came up with a question. If you are taking a last minute cancellation do you have to have the operation that was already booked? How is a lobotomy going to help the pains in your ankle? Take care matey and you have my phone number.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Rather dull but dry weather here, though "Weather conditions: NW force 4 - 5 . Showers.Sea Conditions: Moderate" seems not too bad for this evening! It is a very big ferry.

To quote John Masefield:

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,

And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

:)

• RMweb Premium

Greetings - I've had a visit from the district nurse, who has taken out the staples and redressed the wound - but she said it is looking good.

Otherwise, just catching up on a week's worth of post/paperwork.etc...

Regards

Stewart