The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Dom, I think the Groodle/Groudle thing is dialect driven too, it is mostly southern English visitors who get it wrong.

Moghrey mie...Manx for good morning is pronounced 'more am I'.  Together with it's PM equivalent, 'fastyr mie'.....'fast am I', it's about the only spoken Manx you hear regularly!

A shower and shave has helped me feel a good bit better, I just need to stop coughing now.  Weighed myself when in the bathroom, I have lost half a stone (oh-oh....3.18kg) in 5 days.  Some diet.

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to pronunciation for a momentito, I was also thinking of the dialect spoken in parts of Central Hesse and neighbouring parts of Westphalia tending to gravitate towards rhotacism and rhoticity, so that, for example, "Wetter" becomes "Werrer", or that words like "Oberhessen" sound more like "Orrerrhesserr." Imagine a strongly rolled "r" as in American English or Spanish and you should get the idea!

• Like 1

Good day all from the boring borough. Up with the idiots this morn to ferry the offspring to work as is my usual Saturday punishment. The 4 Ss completed, followed by shopping and a brekkie with pints enjoyed at the local 'spoons.

The rest of the day is all mine. <insert evil laugh here> Heading to the shed with some retro Canadian content courtesy of XL Radio, Calgary and an afternoon of trains.

Have a good weekend.

• Like 14

Hi Ed, that'd be a young red-bellied black snake, horrendously venomous, but not so much of an issue at that size (well under a foot). I come from a land down under.

I think I might've posted on the first page of the first ER thread, in one of the assorted earlier versions of rmweb. Regularly miss a month or ten lately, just lurk from time to time, but if you feel like sorting through several thousand pages and multiple forum instances I'm sure you'll find my ramblings.

I take it you're into P4? My closest is visiting ExpoEM and being impressed. I've not "met" you on RMWeb yet-virtual handshake. I kinda thought you'd be in Oz, you guys seem to take snakey things in your stride. The closest I've been to Oz was my best friend's daughter who spent a year out there 03-04.

Ed

• Like 4

Afternoon all,

Feeling a wee bit better today, thanks in no little part to the kindness of ERs. Duncan, I agree with you about the time scale of my scan, quite amazed that I got the appointment letter yesterday when I only saw the oncologist on Wednesday late morning! Thanks AndyID, but I've had one before and it is a surprisingly old fashioned affair, with a machine that creaks and groans like me. The only drag is the two hour minimum wait between injection and scan (take a good book!) and the fact you are advised not to get close to babies or pregnant women for twenty-four hours afterwards. Didn't glow in the dark last time though!

Ian (Abel), Our nursing sister daughter is these days an injecting diabetic, and by careful adjustment of the dosages, made easy with the latest technology, she leads a normal hard working existence. The injections are performed with syringes like those we used to see on 'Star Trek'! As a birdwatcher for many years, I carry the 'Hamlyn Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe' in paperback wherever we go - it fits in the jacket pocket and is easy to negotiate. The European element is quite important for me as we get quite a lot of their birds finding our East Coast in error! Amazon do it new at £12.99 - ISBN 0 601 07065 8. Hope this helps and the two mentioned by Don are also good (I've got them as well!)

Sherry, truly hope you don't pick up a chill with such a drenching - we know someone who needs you to stay fit! On that subject, Ian, you must listen to your body and rest the minute you feel the weariness coming on. It won't be long with careful limited exercise!

On the pronunciation front, I remember having great fun with an English don at Oxford whilst attending a party where I pointed out that the English spoken in the Western Highlands of Scotland obeyed the rules of the language better than a college that styled itself 'Maudlin' when it's spelled 'Magdalen'! (Is she ever known as 'Mary Maudlin'?) He didn't argue. Another fun one is directions from a local in Norfolk - 'head for Wyndham' (Spelling : Wymondham!)

LisaP4, how nice to make your digital acquaintance! Your post reminded me of my only Jury service turn, back in the seventies in Cornwall. Right in the middle of the tourist season, much to my father-in-law's disgust, I was listed for a rape trial which looked like it would last for ages but a couple of days in, after the prosecution had presented their case, the defence 'chucked in the towel' and it was wrapped up very quickly - haven't been called since.

Flávio(iD), fully agree on the wine glass front and I go so far as only using crystal flutes for Champagne. It is overpriced in the UK but we love it and I always ensure that I make the best of it! We do have the 'Marie Antoinette breast', or if you prefer, Babycham type glasses but they are reserved for Dry Martinis only, complete with obligatory olive! Amazing coincidence about the pasta - I proved the point to an argumentative brother by making a quantity of 'Alfredo' sauce, and serving it with a variety of pasta shapes as well as the usual 'Fettuccine'. He very soon capitulated - I think the Italians can be trusted when it comes to pasta/sauce combinations and my mum (who taught me) was very much a traditionalist! Continued best wishes on whatever you decide career-wise.

Mal, good news about mum, she really is a fighter and indeed an inspiration. Your father on the other hand, must be a worry to you despite what you said about the past!

Tex, keep the Taz posts coming, truly fascinating!

Off now to check the Sky+ box recording set-up as I've got MotoGP in Argentina, British Superbikes at Brands Hatch, World Superbikes at Assen in Holland (Run as 'Superbike Sunday' on Eurosport as both series time their races so they interlock) and F1 in Bahrain! I have to be careful that I don't clash with one of Joanna's important (to her at least!) detective or baby programmes! It will probably take me all week to view them all.

Have a good weekend all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good day all from the boring borough. Up with the idiots this morn to ferry the offspring to work as is my usual Saturday punishment. The 4 Ss completed, followed by shopping and a brekkie with pints enjoyed at the local 'spoons.

The rest of the day is all mine. <insert evil laugh here> Heading to the shed with some retro Canadian content courtesy of XL Radio, Calgary and an afternoon of trains.

Have a good weekend.

It's just me and a parrot at the moment.

Had haircut then missed the bus by seconds so a beer in the Alex. The next bus was early but I made it. Now sitting next to a parrot (in the Inglenook in Nytimber between Bognor and Chichester) that wants my attention as he keeps knocking the bell then moves up against the cage ear me and gives me a long glaring look!

Or is it just this rather nice stout by Siren Brewery affecting me!!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

ID I believe that the peculiar spellings are a class thing. traditionally upper class twits had the pronounciation thrashed into them at boarding school while the lower classes probably never got that far. This gave the upper classes endless fun mocking any of those who dragged themselves out of the gutter but gave away their origins by these tricky words.

Don

Aye!

We were thrashed for 26 hours a day at my school, and for 48 hours on a Saturday morning!

Sunday was so miserable because we were thrash free.

How we longed for Monday to come around when you'd be able to have a warmed posterior once more.

But these thrashing were completely pointless, there was no learning involved at all.

Being beaten to within a whisker of your life for the purpose of learning would have been totally decadent.

In fact, Luxury!

Hat, coat, botty cream.........

• Like 1

All those examples of peculiarities in place names made me think about where similar phenomena occur in German! I know the dialects in the Moselle and Saarland regions have equally odd divergences between written and spoken forms of place names, such as "Hölzbisch" for Saarhölzbach, "Häschbre" for Hasborn, "Neinkeijje" or "Neinkerjje" for Neunkirchen; or for an example which could be totally misinterpreted by speakers of English, "Fëckinge" for Saarfels.

Outside the Saarland but in the same dialectal region, there is a placed called Grimburg, pronounced "Sóuschett."

There also is the fact of numerous place names in the Saarland in particular having a distinct French origin, so that in Saarlouis, for example, there are boroughs called Picard and Beaumarais – pronounced in turn like "PICK-erd" and "BOM-ma-ray" by locals.

I still haven't figured out how to pronounce the name of the place I stayed in last summer- Zirl, in the Austrian Tirol. I'm not sure i've got Ulm right yet either, it seems to be a far bigger word than the number of letters would suggest.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It's just me and a parrot at the moment.

Had haircut then missed the bus by seconds so a beer in the Alex. The next bus was early but I made it. Now sitting next to a parrot (in the Inglenook in Nytimber between Bognor and Chichester) that wants my attention as he keeps knocking the bell then moves up against the cage ear me and gives me a long glaring look!

Or is it just this rather nice stout by Siren Brewery affecting me!!!

Know the Inglenook well as our friends live very close. Stayed there last August when we went to their daughter's wedding

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all fro a very bright and sunny village. Washing in, cats fed and breakfast consumed, now the rest of the day starts. A bit of shopping then possible a bit of soldering (Yes Pete why does heat always apply instantly to human skin but not always to a workpiece.)

After helping put things away at church some lunch then take Tony, plus wheelchair to Scaleforum. I look to see if any trains are actually running, but will also see some traders for various bits. Then possibly some more soldering in the evening. Not a bad day to look forward to.

A little bit further away is Barnoldswick, It used to be served by a short branch line from Earby on the Skipton to Colne line. There is a story "Probably apocryphal of a new porter being transferred to Earby from the home counties. The story goes that when a train pulled in he called out. "All change here for Barn-olds-wick" Nobody got out until an old local porter yelled out in best broad Yorkshire , " If thee wants te gan te Barlick, git out quick"

Jamie

And if you are a resident of Barnoldswick (which I think holds the joint record for the longest place name in the UK not to repeat any letter), then you're a Barlicker........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

I take it you're into P4? My closest is visiting ExpoEM and being impressed. I've not "met" you on RMWeb yet-virtual handshake. I kinda thought you'd be in Oz, you guys seem to take snakey things in your stride. The closest I've been to Oz was my best friend's daughter who spent a year out there 03-04.

Ed

Back when I first joined here I was yeah, then there was a whole lack of modelling due to work, and now the scale has gradually krept back up since then though.

Afternoon all,

LisaP4, how nice to make your digital acquaintance! Your post reminded me of my only Jury service turn, back in the seventies in Cornwall. Right in the middle of the tourist season, much to my father-in-law's disgust, I was listed for a rape trial which looked like it would last for ages but a couple of days in, after the prosecution had presented their case, the defence 'chucked in the towel' and it was wrapped up very quickly - haven't been called since.

Jock.

Hi Jock, sounds like you did more than I did; we actually spent more time in the lunch room than the courtroom!

Lisa,

i was following your exploits with the Lincs coupler some time back.

Have you progressed more, or kicked it into touch and started down the live steam route (in 15" gauge)?

The Links/AJ hybrid? That mostly got lost in time I think, still have some wagons with it fitted though. However I have mostly been going back to large scale live steam, yes. With the exception of fiddling about with some Z gauge which I have a moderately sized collection of.

Edited by LisaP4
  • Like 7

Amazing new discovery!

After lunch we decided to have a cup of coffee - blend we hadn't tried before using the machine our son bought us for Christmas.

Now coffee is supposed to have caffeine in it whihc wakes you up, it is alleged.

However we both fell asleep.

The new amazing discovery is anti-caffeine. Well, you get anti-matter, don't you. So this must have been anti-caffeine.

That's our excuse and we're sticking to it.

• Like 3

Amazing new discovery!

After lunch we decided to have a cup of coffee - blend we hadn't tried before using the machine our son bought us for Christmas.

Now coffee is supposed to have caffeine in it whihc wakes you up, it is alleged.

However we both fell asleep.

The new amazing discovery is anti-caffeine. Well, you get anti-matter, don't you. So this must have been anti-caffeine.

That's our excuse and we're sticking to it.

Can you ask your son for something for me - food with anti-fat?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

For once, I've manage to read all the posts between my last visit and now, and was pleased and surprised to hear from Lisa - long time no hear.  For more recent ERs, Lisa was a very early RMWebber, and was probably one of the first couple of hundred contributing members (as was I - and OMG it seems so long ago that we answered Andy's call to set up a new and more interesting model railway web forum).  A few of us go back that far.

Jock - good news on the scan front - hope the result is favourable.  Perhaps the NHS is starting to pick up a bit on procedures, as 30747 got a physiotherapy appointment at the local hospital within a week of her triage assessement.

Neil - hope that the remotely prescribed antibiotics are effective.  With my GP, a telephone consultation almost never results in any strong medications, but if they are needed, then some time is found the same day for a surgery visit to see the duty GP (who is one of the normal GPs assigned just to emergencies/really urgent cases).

Missed the discussions on jury service.  I was called when I was a callow youth living in Surrey, and had to attenda local Crown Court where I was assigned to a robbery case where the accused was in a wheelchair, and his alleged role in proceedings was to wheel up and down outside a tobacconists keeping a lookout while his mates relieved the shop of whatever they could.  Time was about 2.30 am.  He was caught outside, and one of the others inside had a suitcase with his name in it, which they dropped when the local constabulary arrived, and the insiders decamped, and the wheelchair user got nicked.  The evidence against him was overwhelming, and his defence was pathetic - he was just passing, didn't know there was anybody in the shop, and thought his wife might have lent one of his mates the suitcase for some unknown and unexplained reason, but even so, the sympathy element kicked in, and four jurors would/could not accept that a man in a wheelchair might be guilty, and we got near to being discharged as we could not reach a verdict - in the end, two more of the jurors were convinced of his guilt, and the judge accepted a majority verdict of guilty.  Then the police Inspector was called to give the felon's antecedents, and he had a list of convictions as long as your arm (or longer) and had done time. Even so, his barrister made a plea for leniency, broken home, blah blah, injured in a car accident, blah blah, couldn't make ends meet as couldn't work due to disability, blah blah, only did the crime with his mates to get some money to keep his family together, blah blah.  Most of us on the jury were pretty nonplussed when he got a suspended sentence. 

Lily needs a walk in the sunshine so I'll catch up again tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I spent so long pottering in the garden it was about 5pm before Robbie got a walk. I was so tired as we crossed the fields I did wonder if Robbie could take a message like Skippy the kangaroo to fetch help! I decided he wouldn't and just had to keep going.

It was a lovely day here if you could keep in the sun and be sheltered from the breeze. I managed to make use of the turf that Aditi lifted making bigger flower beds. One of the repairs was to the front lawn. When Robbie leaves via the front door it is always with a mighty leap. Where he lands on the lawn gets rather bald and muddy in winter. He will be 11 this summer and doesn't seem to be less active so it looks as if repairing the lawn may continue for a few more years. Working cockers are allegedly a robust type of dog. His behaviour has changed a bit as he has aged but not his energy.

I had a chat with my bank this morning. I enquired what could possibly go wrong if I try to pay for the new(ish) car with a debit card next Friday. Apparently not a lot as far as the bank are concerned but apparently Visa apply random daily limits that can be between £4000 and £50000. If you exceed whatever this random limit is, your card is locked for 24 hours. I think I will do a bank transfer instead! The garage won't accept cash, bank drafts or cheques. Also as the vehicle is nearly new I had to sign an agreement not to resell it outside the EU for 6 months. I haven't had a form like that before.

Edited by Tony_S

The "battle of the tablets" is over. I've now been able to load more than 8Gb of railway magazines on to the SD card in the Galaxy. Had to resort to a bit of subterfuge by going into settings in Pocketmags and setting "Storage Location" to "external"   :banghead:

No such luck with Zinio though. I tried faking it out by moving the files around, but it just kept creating copies in the original locations. However, the Zinio mags are more about news than anything. I don't need them for reference, so I've just archived them back into the cloud to save system memory.

• Like 6

Evening all,

Finally managed to catch up with ER, having a bout of DII* helped..

Interesting few posts about cooking for numerous guests. The most people I have cooked for has been 35 (3 courses, Fettucine alla Romana, marinated and seared Lamb loin with spinaci saltati con burro and red wine autumn berry jelly with whipped cream) - but I did have a professional kitchen to work in and an assistant. The most I have done at home is 5 courses for 8 people (one of my little "Ladies Who Lunch, Lunch" that I do every so often for Mrs iD and her friends. All she has to is turn up and host, I stay in the kitchen and take care of everything else - cooking, serving, clearing the table and washing up). A cleverly designed menu and good project planning are all that are needed, that and being able to just say "Hello" to guests make it all worthwhile (and not hosting makes it enjoyable for me as well).

As you may have discerned I love cooking for other people (I had even volunteered to cook my infamous "Stir Fried Chilli Shrimp" for a RMWeb open day but - for various reasons [some practical, some "elf 'n' safetee"]- got turned down). Currently, Mrs iD's favourite dish is one I created (based on an interpretation of a number of classic pasta recipes) Albesi al Limone. Albesii (somewhat like a narrow cut tagliatelle and are from from the Toscana) tossed with a savoury lemon, cream and Parmesan sauce. Mrs iD goes mad about the dish, she wants it at least twice a week, so something new to add to my repertoire (If anyone wants the recipe PM me)

And on that tasty note, G'night all

iD

*Dog Induced Insomnia

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I don't think we have catered for more than 14 but the meals were slightly complicated as some guests (family) are not omnivores.

I have been present for a few of MiL's soirees when she used to entertain in Nottingham. She would cater for over 150 of her closest friends. I remember being asked to help peel carrots and finding 4 28 pound sacks. She used to hope for fine weather allowing the food to be eaten outside but I have experienced the "plan b" where nearly all the lounge and dining room furniture was piled up in a bedroom. Now that MiL lives in a flat in Enfield she still thinks she should provide us with a Punjabi feast when we visit but I think she appreciates us offering to get a takeaway (not Indian though).

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

Good evening all, late again but I have a good excuse.

On the subject of catering for the masses, in the not too distant past my wife and I used to organise the "family parties". We had the job because it had been noticed that the family was only meeting at wakes and also, it was decided, we had the largest house.

One year, because complains had been made about difficult parking in our area, a coach was hired and 36 persons arrived en mass. Still they also departed with the same speed, no-one hanging on to claim the "honour" of being last to leave!

I did not sit at this screen this morning because as of to-day I have been cleared for "light duties".

Number one on my list was our garage door. My wife is beginning to suffer memory loss and one of the things she does forget to do on some occasions, is not close the garage door. I try and keep a check but if that is after dark, the outside light coming on gives me away.

I manufactured a bracket for reed switches at either end of one support rail for the "up & over" door and fixed a magnet to the door itself. The wiring was taken back to the window which faces the house and another bracket installed there for the indicators.

Now I can look out and if I see a green led lit, the door is shut. A red one means I have to reach for my van keys/remote door control!  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

evening all!

Thawed out after cricket...at last!

Two centurions for Harrogate - George Ross and Jonathan Tattershall (ex England U19s). Tatts then took 5 for  so he had a good day!

Her indoors scored for the St Chads firsts who won and youngest Herbert played for Kirkstall Education  who also won.... so off to bed as I have another game tomorrow .. all of 100 overs starting at 1pm..

Have a good night and a splendid Sunday folks!

baz

• Like 13