The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Fact of the day 2:

The various Apollo missions brought 382Kg of Moon rock back to Earth.

Cheers,

Mick

Morning All,

It is another bright morning in this part of the world.  Apparently, it is due to get a bit colder again but at the moment it is quite warm for the time of year.

Fact of the day 3:

An incredibly large proportion of that Moon rock is missing or stolen (around 2/3 if memory serves).

Have a good day everyone...

Fact 4: At any one time over a tonne of the stuff is for sale on eBay.  :no:  :jester:

The largest slabs are 900mm x 600mm with a depth of about an inch..

Oh, you mean 3 by 2. Why didn't you just say that? :)

What I find interesting is that, opposite to me, Pete has used metric for the larger measurements and imperial for the smaller.

I, being of a certain age and taught initially (2 years) in imperial, tend to use Feet and Inches for anything upwards of about 2" and Metric for anything smaller - weird or what? :senile:

Sorry Pete, posts crossed - didn't realise that you were quoting from the catalogue - makes me seem even more weird.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Well, I've defined my ideal temperature. It's that which was ambient mid afternoon yesterday when I came out of the swimming pool (municiple) and walked over to my car. The temperature gauge said it was 29oC, but that I'm guessing the temperature sensor is somewhere near the engine or exposed to sunshine.... :sungum:

Anyway ideal and idyllic. So today I'm hiring a ladder and decorating the stairwell and landing. :scratchhead:

Have a nice day everyone.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Well, how about that: Managed to complete another motive power portrait! It's surprisingly difficult to obtain in-depth information on Spanish motive power from the old days, I should add – though the Spanish Wikipedia does provide useful outlines of the most prominent types at least. Good thing I speak the language!

Funny factoid: Did you know that the Spanish word for "flange" is the same as the one for "eyelashes", namely "pestaña"?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/624/entry-15793-busty-marilyn-series-316-diesel-of-azvi-sa/

dsc09728k1ulv.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning ERs!

Sunny here at the moment.

Fingers crossed for the weekend, Saturday sees me at Harrogate for a 110 overseas match, then Sunday off to Midfield Parish Cavaliers for a 100 over Heavy Woollen Cup game so please can it be:

Dry

Sunny

No wind??

Have a great pre-poets day everyone!

Baz

• Like 12

In the supplier's catalogue, they're quoted as "900mm x 600mm x 1 inch". All except the ones that are quoted as "600mm x 450mm x 24mm"... Go figure...

I bet if you measure them to the nearest millimeter, at least half of them will be "out of spec".

They are 3 foot by 2 foot by one inch, same as they always were. They should be described as 0.9 m  x 0.6 m. Measuring concrete slabs in millimeters is completely bonkers.

• RMweb Premium

Measuring concrete slabs in millimeters is completely bonkers.

It does make sense (to me at least) where track gauges are concerned, though. I personally find indications such as 4 ft 9 13/32 in for Leipzig's tram system rather unwieldy!

• Like 2

After years in Germany, Imperial measurements mean little or nothing to me.  I also learnt the metric system at school.

One of my annoyances is that many UK magazines insist in just giving Imperial measurements - I often find myself having to convert it to something more meaningful.

I understand that many people learnt the Imperial system, and find it easier to work with, but why not list both types of measurement?

I started being educated in 1971. Although I was taught the metric system I believe from the start I am far happier with imperial measurements. I can also remember pounds shillings and pence.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and mild start, it will be a rather cloudy day with some bright or sunny intervals.

I spent all my working life employed by a builder's merchant and got used to a mixture of metric & imperial sizes. For years we sold 8' x 4' x 3/8" plasterboards that were actually 2438mmx1200mmx9,5mm.

It took a long time to make the change to 2400mmx1200mm although they were available. Builders always asked for so many "yards" of sand or ballast (cu.yd) which we then sold as multiples of  0.8m3. They preferred it loose because they knew that a heaped bucket on the loading shovel would give them more for their money. It took a long time for some to accept the tonne bags that are the norm now.

Incidentally Andy the British Standards for concrete paving did have a + or - tolerance of (from memory) 2mm. (The same sort of thing would apply to bricks & blocks etc but with differing tolerances)

I still measure things in both imperial & metric depending on my mood at the time.

Perhaps I have a split personality. According to SWMBO I have no tolerances!

Have a good one,

Bob

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Being in construction, at work all dimensions these days are in metric so we measure and order in metric, but if I am talking about building a layout the board materials are measeured in inches and feet. However the laying of track and doing the buildings are in metric!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

It does make sense (to me at least) where track gauges are concerned, though. I personally find indications such as 4 ft 9 13/32 in for Leipzig's tram system rather unwieldy!

I should add, this would be 1,458 mm!

Talking of tolerances, when I was an apprentice we were taught to aim for the "maximum material Condition", ie the biggest shaft and/or the smallest hole within tolerance. Much later I taught with a colleague who insisted that, even if within tolerance, a further cut should be taken to aim for the middle of the limits. I still think he was wrong, what do you think?

Ed

Fact 4: At any one time over a tonne of the stuff is for sale on eBay.  :no:  :jester:

Plus, if all the "authentic" parts of the Berlin Wall were put together, you could probably build a wall from here to the moon!

• Like 2

Morning all, there's a bit of haze over Borough Market Junction today.

Like Pete, I too began formal education (note benefit of grammar school for spelling :jester: ) in 1972 and we always were taught in metric. However I always think of my height in feet and inches and my weight in stones.

I also remember maths books with coins and New Pence being plastered over all the pages. I don't remember pounds, shillings and pence.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright looking village.  A visit to a consultant to have my knee looked at beckons this afternoon.   Beth went to the hand clinic yesterday and much to her displeasure came home with another pot on for the next 4 weeks.  This means that she will have to put up with my cooking for that time and she's still not able to drive herself around.  

As to the imperial/metric conversations.   I can use both and do all my CAD work in metric but can only estimate by eye in imperial then have to convert.

I took my A levels in 1970 and after a partial gap year started Uni in 1971. We were the first class to go through A level using the SI units. Our electrics lecturer started on about British Thermal Units and ESU's. We had to ask him what he was talking about. His reply wouldn't get past the censor on here but was along the lines of "**** I'm going to have to go and rewrite all my &&&&&&&& notes in SI now."

All the best to all and hope that we here some better news from Jock.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny sometimes cloudy Estuary-Land. When I had some radiators replaced a few months ago I told the plumber that they were 4 feet, all I got was a blank stare. Fortunately I am quite adept at translating metric into imperial and vice versa but some seem to struggle. Glad to see you back Jock.

• Like 8

Introducing Annie.

Thanks to the kindness of Andy I will be asking folk on RMW to consider a donation to a hospice following the death of Annie's very close and very young relative.

Annie is doing her bit by having her head shaved in July to raise funds.

This is just a snap and not the picture I will be using for the 'before' and 'after'.

I'll formulate the 'appeal' and give more information later but I wanted to thank Andy.

post-7041-0-03374200-1429172720_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny but much cooler than yesterday.

After lunch in a pub yesterday to celebrate MiL's birthday we went and spent the afternoon drinking tea in Aditi's sister's garden. MiL was very pleased that Matthew was able to join us for the meal. He had sore feet as one of his friends from Calgary has been visiting. They had done a lot of walking as he friend is commencing a career as an architect and wanted to see just about every type of building.

I have been tidying up this morning as we are having a visitor (finance/banking stuff). Then I am off to collect Robbie from kennels so that our home can be a place where dog hair sticks to everything except the dog once again! (I saw that remark on Facebook and thought it seemed to apply here).

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Most definitely just a "guide" measurement. Being split from natural sandstone and then machined with an edge rather than cheaper concrete slabs that are just poured into a mould, each slab is very much "in the region of" the quoted dimension. They look good though... let's hope they look as good when laid.

Ours are concrete but they are cast from real Yorkstone slabs. The thickness is very variable. I found this helpful as I probably would have messed up a regular slab. If I were doing it now I would probably have the ones like Pete illustrated but there again I am not likely to do it again anyway! Where we have a patio most people in the road have a conservatory but our garden is smaller than most

Tony

• Like 11