The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Durham, my county city and the home of the best cathedral in the world!

Been a beautiful day here in Robin Hoods Bay.

Gentle stroll on the old railway line, nice cup of coffee, then some quality garden sitting time.

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

My condolences and notional shoulder of support for Jock and Robert, my thoughts are with you.  It's Darren's funeral tomorrow too, although there is a service of celebration of his life, not a funeral - I presume this is a Catholic thing as he took his own life?  Sorry, as an atheist I don't have much knowledge of such things.  He is being laid to rest in our village church graveyard, which is Anglican.  Confused.com.  Full team attendance, no doubt also some senior managers that pushed him to it  who may or may not sleep at nights.  Sorry, raw nerve.

A day of packing awkwardly shaped parcels at work - garden railway sized bogie coaches are BIG!  Bachmann E4's selling like hot cakes too - a bit smaller and easier to pack!

The project X has advanced today, just prep and boring stuff, and they didn't wreck the garden and lawn so that's a plus.  Can you see what it is yet?

• RMweb Premium

Oh, can any of you computer techy types explain why my laptop keeps getting all it's memory used by 'svchost.exe' processes please?  I have to delete the processes to get some control back,  Win 7 and IE, er whatever.

• RMweb Gold

A gentle nurse eh? I married one and I've never looked back. (I have but she might read this)

I hope Ian takes things steady and doesn't exceed 2000 SPM (Shakes per minute) in any gear.

My sister is a nurse and my father was a keen astronomer who passed much knowledge onto his children.

So as you can imagine it is of great relief to patients whom my sister treats, that she can find Uranus in the dark!

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

The second of those seems to give me a way of finding out what is going on, thanks John.  It has become really irritating this last few weeks, stopping my lappy dead, I have to go into task manager and stop the process, then go back 5 minutes later as another one does the same thing!  It is something to do with IE, it only occurs after this has been opened.  For a computer luddite like me it is annoying and frustrating.

The second of those seems to give me a way of finding out what is going on, thanks John.  It has become really irritating this last few weeks, stopping my lappy dead, I have to go into task manager and stop the process, then go back 5 minutes later as another one does the same thing!  It is something to do with IE, it only occurs after this has been opened.  For a computer luddite like me it is annoying and frustrating.

IE can be a real hog and it's hard to know what it's really doing. I still use it on a Windows 7 laptop, but it became such a PITA on my oldish desktop running Vista that I dumped IE and now use Chrome. I was running Firefox for a while, but it started to get as bad as IE.

When it comes time to dump the laptop, you might consider replacing it with a tablet and get a Bluetooth keyboard for it. The downside of the tablets is they don't have much internal storage, but in some cases that can be an advantage. Mrs ID is totally addicted to her iPad. She's on her second now!

• RMweb Gold

IE can be a real hog and it's hard to know what it's really doing. I still use it on a Windows 7 laptop, but it became such a PITA on my oldish desktop running Vista that I dumped IE and now use Chrome. I was running Firefox for a while, but it started to get as bad as IE.

When it comes time to dump the laptop, you might consider replacing it with a tablet and get a Bluetooth keyboard for it. The downside of the tablets is they don't have much internal storage, but in some cases that can be an advantage. Mrs ID is totally addicted to her iPad. She's on her second now!

She's had two tablets!!

• RMweb Gold

Dont u just love intelligent!! spellcheckers.

Sherry and Ian's use of the term "welding" is their preferred term for wedding. It seems to have confused a few people on Facebook too!

• Like 4

Evening all. Not been online recently due to caring for my poorly daughter. Not sure what is wrong with Amber. She awoke in the early hours of Tuesday with terrible wind and barely slept all night. Since then she has bouts of being ok, then others of running a temperature, complaining of ear ache and a chesty cough. On such occasions she flops with little energy, but hours later can be her old self. Today she was fine at 8am, drifted off to sleep and had an hour of feeling ill when she woke again at 10am. By 11.00 she was fine and charging around like normal before she flopped again at 3.30pm. After believing she was on the mend after she had cycled around our evening walk last night I think we are looking at a doctor's appointment for tomorrow.

Hopefully all will be well. My best wishes to Ian and I hope the recovery continues.

Best wishes and condolences to Jock and Robert - there are no other words I can say, but thoughts are with you all.

A nice surprise today. The photographer sent copies of pictures taken at the Belper show, including some of my layout. I have posted the picture below on the layout's own blog page but thought I would share it here too.

post-13478-0-80176600-1428615998_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

..... welding day!

Dont u just love intelligent!! spellcheckers.

Sherry and Ian's use of the term "welding" is their preferred term for wedding. It seems to have confused a few people on Facebook too!

I suspect that Ian in particular has his spellchecker set permanently to Auto-Malaprop.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some good news today DD1 has an unconditional offer from Derby uni so my house should be empty of children in September shock horror...... I never have a clue what to say about death but I still miss my Mum after 7 years. 

• Like 3

Evening all,

Tired and ready for some sleep now as we didn't manage much last night! The shoulder has been used and hugs etc. given and as usual, the whole day was made a lot easier with all the lovely supportive comments made on here. If anything, I'm luckier than Robert in that We were able to deliver condolences in person, and we've known Sue's mum for almost thirty years - her husband has only been around for four or five and sadly has a history of depression(I'm told) but today it would appear that the enormity of the situation hasn't yet sunk in! His sister has joined him from London and will stay for some time. Sue was a bright, methodical person and was fully aware of the outcome of her illness so she prudently put her paperwork in order some time ago. All we can offer now is a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on while they try to clear all the hurdles raised by beaurocracy at such a time.

Neil, I hope the funeral you are attending goes to plan, such events are never easy, particularly when there is a possibility that some of those responsible might attend!

DD, sounds like a sensible switch to me, hope you enjoy the break.

I have been cheered up by the news from Ian and Sherry, and notice my cancelled diary entry actually used Ian's spelling! Hope it all goes to plan and you get to p** in your own loo tomorrow Ian!

Andy, the layout looks lovely and I'd like to see more so I'm off to search for your blog - have you considered a link below your posts?

Hope that as usual, the 'E' in POET'S day comes true for our resident workers,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Owls!

PS Mike (S&M), was the short skirted lady carrying a copy of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'?

Just read the news about Richie Benaud, a gentleman of the old school and no mean cricketer! He managed to handle Johnners and J. Allot very well - as light engine says RIP, at least he went peacefully in his sleep at eighty- four so not a bad 'innings'! His sense of humour would doubtless allow me the terrible pun?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 13