The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Being as it's a really nice day I decided to uncover the patio furniture and pressure wash the patio which  become very grubby over the winter months.

Furniture uncovered and placed on the lawn, hose reconnected to the garden tap and then I get the washer pressure washer from the garden shed. Connect it up and nothing! Half an hour of trying various things and I was unable to coax it into life.

Oh b*gger and I've only had it fifteen years :)

Will go and buy a new one later in the week,

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

Dave, I take it you checked the fuse and the power socket? Sometimes it is easy to overlook the small picture.

Geoff,

First thing I did! No such luck as a blown fuse!

Many thanks,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Brunch made and consumed. Walk along the beach to boggle then back on the old railway line. Pint of blonde in the Laurel followed by tea and cakes. One cake as gin, lemon and tonic drizzle cake. Yummy HIC!

Sat in the sun in the garden with a wee tincture of happy frog (Laphoraig). Life can be such a pain sometimes!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

On way home from a pleasant day at York ex. Hopefully Mrs NB will have finished power washing the patio and all I have to do is put it away.

Cheers,

.Mick

• Like 9

Evening all….8hrs of sniffing solvent cement and I feel great.  Just one almighty panic when I realised I had stuck a 90 degree elbow on 4" pipe the wrong way round (Mrs S came over to talk to me in the middle of gluing the two bits of pipe) but managed to twist it through 180 degrees before the solvent cement really went off.

This happened about 10 minutes from the end, so a clear indication how mistakes are easy to make when tired.

Glad to say horrible green and smelly water is now coursing through the filter, but that is only to check for leaks.  The real stuff will start next weekend.  Just hope my lads can last till then….:-)

• Like 17

It's been a glorious day of rotten wood. Propped up the most decrepit fence panels in the morning. For some of them this will be the tenth time they have been picked up and nailed back on. I do like to get full use out of things, even though in this case it was a fence put up by the previous owners. Think it's worn out now. (Got my mate with muscles booked next week to put up the replacement concrete posted system.)

Visited in laws to inspect FiL's special manshed. Never been allowed in it previously - this is vegetable horticulture central and always jammed full of things sown and nurtured, and being brought on - but whatever, he thought it might be in need of some TLC. Now he's an 8 stone ninety year old, and I am not. So you all know what happened next don't you? It was two feet down to the ground beneath, and it is remarkably awkward to extract a single leg from the hole in the floor it has just made. My dear wife with a post-cold laugh like Sid James' nearly ruptured herself at my complaints, and decried my lack of a sense of adventure.

It turned out it was the roof he was really concerned about, and that indeed has all the strength of cardboard. Since the felt was sound and the exterior weatherproof paint is generally good, I can only imagine it is the non-stop humidity from all the aforesaid horticulture that has condensed on the interior and promoted the rot. It was installed forty years ago, and not new then: had been his FiL's potting shed and made from offcuts from Swindon C&W, where said FiL was employed. (The washing line posts BTW are still intact, and are repurposed boiler flue tubes...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Well, as I said yesterday, we left the car boot stuff in the car, and decided to do another today at a different location, a bit more local, but nowhere near as busy as yesterday's, but a more relaxed affair all round - but the takings were, of course, proportionally smaller. 

Now, though, I'm absolutely exhausted and will try to offer more comments and reactions to the pages of stuff since yesterday.

I'm off now to sleep through last night's episode of Poldark.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back from "oop north", or Shrewsbury as the locals call it. 

Roads were ok, considering it's a Bank Holiday. 

As the children are away for the week I was tasked with either tidying the garden of weeds or decorating. 

I chose decorating as the weeds would grow back but the paint job might last a while.

So, been shifting furniture around and pulling nails out of walls in preparation, leaving plenty of holes to be filled. 

My neighbour seems to have borrowed his pallet knife out of my garage so I'll need to go and get one of those in the morning. Or wait till he's gone to work and borrow it back. :) 

Mojo is back and have also started to cut out some foam for the viaduct walls. I'm not rushing it but it does seem there's less to do than I thought and it may not take as long as I'd anticipated to finish. :) 

Settling down now with a film called "Interstellar" and a wee dram to ease the pains in my back - brought on by shifting furniture. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

At almost every crossing there is a small house for the crossing keeper - I have read that these used to be the widows of railwaymen, and I think I met one, though I felt it might have been a bit presumptuous to ask.

This is the crossing keeper's cottage (at right) and garden - fabulous use of corrugated iron. The householder is a little wiry woman of considerable age, and we had a chat, but mostly about the weather, which was very pleasant. There's a sign at the end of the grange PN39 - can anybody tell me what that means?

I would imagine PN is Passage A Niveau (Level Crossing) and 39 is just it's number.    Afraid I know little of SNCF (and it constituents) numbering.  The numbers never seem to go very high or they'd reach PN n000 throughout France.  I would guess they start at 1 for each route?

Afraid OldDudders is otherwise occupied as he may have better knowledge.

• Like 4

The weather today certainly upset my plans.

The idea was to do some urgent shopping this morning, have lunch and then do some modelling.

The shopping happened, I then went into the village for lunch with a couple of pints of the local ale and walked back. Sat down on a chair outside and fell asleep for 4 hours.

Oh well, at least the bank holiday didn't live up to its normal wet and windy outlook.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Settling down now with a film called "Interstellar" and a wee dram to ease the pains in my back - brought on by shifting furniture. 

Watched "Interstellar" on my flight home last week. Very thought provoking. I feel the need to watch it again.

Just after I posted my last travelling update, we arrived in Bradford for the train (3-car 158) to be filled to standing by returning Preston North End supporters. Three ladies with prams couldn't get on at Burnley Manchester Road and the train had to wait whilst the conductor gave details of a local taxi firm to them!

Home now and possibly heading to the shed soon to fit today's purchase - a sound decoder for a K1.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all….8hrs of sniffing solvent cement and I feel great.  

I need some of that stuff. Which brand?  :sungum:

Ahh...

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mist finally cleared after lunch so we had a run out on the bikes, as the kayak is still land based - Mrs H's hand is still not fully recovered from the carpal tunnel surgery for that sort of work.

Then a couple of hours in the garden digging out the soil from the raised beds, to save it while a new pad is cast to move the garden shed - which is moving to make space for project X..... :blind:  :smoke:

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

I see some members have identified my backside on the GGR Faceache page.....that will leave Tex even more confused as to identities!

Knackered this morning, that was thought to be the busiest day on the GGR since 1939.

Were you in golden rivet seeking pose at the time of the incriminating picture?