The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a sunny York.

A good time had in a number of hostelries finishing in the York Tap and as it was still reasonably warm we sat on the platform drinking area. We had the bio as train go pass with a GBRF 66 whilst the covered steel wagons went north the other side of it( didn't see what was on the point).

This morning we head to Birmingham then hopefully get a 68 push pull service to Marylebone. Now to work out which services they will be on today.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

There appears to be some frost on the shed roof but I don't think it will take long to clear. I suspect it won't be a good day for the deck chair business in Southend. I don't think the beach at Canvey has similar services.

We will be going round the NE section of the M25 to have lunch with MiL. Aditi's sister said she may call in later this afternoon. Matthew returns from his conference today. He won't be coming back to Benfleet though, he will stay in London as a friend from Canada will be staying with him for a few days.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

Latest news from the.... er ..... front!!

The catheter was removed at 0625 without too much discomfort. Ian is taking Paracetamol, mainly to reduce the symptoms of the cold that I brought with me. I thought it only fair to share it with him!!

Enjoy the bonk holiday, as Ian would say!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Off to York Ex today after dropping Mrs BoD at work.

Well someone has to pay for the models.

May even stop off for a a full English on the way.

Stuff the cholesterol levels.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 16

Morning guys...

Today I'll be up to my neck in plastic pipe and solvent cement.  Hard landscaping is all done and 'hot tub' in place.  Just a whole stack of 1.5", 3" and 4" pipework to cut and glue.  Pond has taken a whole new green look with no filtration for weeks and fish cannot be seen more than a few inches down.

Hopefully if I can get the new kit up and running today, gin clear water will appear in a week or less.

Interesting bit on Pete Waterman's loco sale on BBC this morning with a few glimpses of Leamington Spa.

Enjoy Bank Holiday Monday!

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 16

Mornin to ya, I had to note the amount of likes I received yesterday about Tasmania. If! some of you would like to hear more about my backyard? or would like to ask a question, please press the thanks button. It's only been a couple of weeks since I've joined ER and I must say, even though it's not face to face I'm seeing a lot of very interesting personalities in each and every one of you. I'll tell what I do find amusing, a lot don't use a profile picture of one's self. So, when going through layouts, exhibitions, etc you see a photo of one of the members and they look nothing like how you perceive them to look. (not in a scary sense) It all adds an air of mystery to the forum but how doe's one get on when you are approached by a fellow member, you don't know his real name or what he looks like and comes along and says, G'day Tex, I'm Graham. I think my first thought would be, "Who The Bloody Hell are You", or how about (if I may use your tag without infringement) 1216 025 I'd still be puzzled?. Has anybody had this happen to them. "I think this would be an embarrassing situation" It was just a thought, catch up a little later, regards and health to all, Tex.

Edited by Tassie Tex
  • Like 8

Morning all from St Neots.  Last two days have been partly spent chipping out old concrete supports for fence posts, so that we can install new posts and concrete them in - chipping concretre out without the right tools is a long & arduous process, so the back and knees are now suffering.  If No 1 son had thought about this earlier, I could have brought some heavier equipment with me for the task.  Today is a day off from fence work, so a trip to Ickworth at Bury St Edmunds is planned.  It is a National Trust spot we havent been to before.  Lovely & sunny here just now, but I dont think it will remain that way.

Mornin' all,

Misty single figure cool and calm at first light in The Moorlands. Trusty steed back on form after pedal & crank surgery. Hardly a soul around for the long anticlockwise constitutional.....a few more Wincle brewery calories to burn! Here are a few visuals....

attachicon.gifP1110049.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110045.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110044.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110043.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110050.JPG

attachicon.gifP1110051.JPG

New front brake discs and pads to fit to the car this morning.

Now music by The Boomtown Rats.....Lookin' after No1

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave 

Had you fallen off when you took the fourth shot?

Ed

Interesting bit on Pete Waterman's loco sale on BBC this morning with a few glimpses of Leamington Spa.

I saw that, Gordon.

Auctioning off a lot of his collection to pay for apprentices who are restoring full size old locos.

More power to his elbow (and his wallet).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny if rather cool Estuary-Land. Glad to hear that Dudders is on the mend, if my dad's experience is anything to go by I would suggest keeping the liquid intake down after about 8 pm if he wants a good nights rest. On the subject of noisy birds, since I had the new combi boiler installed the fireplace is now redundant and is now boarded up but the chimney liner seems to act as an amplifier and a pigeon has taken to sitting on the cowl and making his love calls, it sounds as if the room is full of pigeons. I just caught the item about Pete Waterman this morning, nice shots of his layout.

• Like 11

Skip this - it's boring:

I use 2 x 18v battery power drills (one for screws and the other for various bits).

They cost quite a lot to buy but are getting old now.

One packed up altogether so I was expecting a trip to ScrewUp.

Over coffee this morning I disassembled it and cleaned contacts etc., without any expectation of success.

Result! It roared into life!!!

The downside is I have jobs to do.

Carry on.

• Like 16

Morning all from a bright and warm South East Devon coast.

Great to hear that Ian is making the progress that we all hoped for.

My last full day here today so after a bit of shopping some modelling is planned.

This is the view looking west this morning.

attachicon.gifIMG_9612 - Copy.JPG

Have a good day everyone

....recognise the red cliffs around Sidmouth D......lots of coastal path walking done along this coast.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ffom east of Leeds on a train to York. The sun is shining so I might walk to York ex instead of catching the bus.

I do wonder if Tex's comments referring to pictures has anything to do with the last one I posted of myself............ Damn, I look good in lycra.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

but how doe's one get on when you are approached by a fellow member, you don't know his real name or what he like and comes along and says, G'day Tex, I'm Graham. I think my first thought would be, "Who The Bloody Hell are You", or how about (if I may use your tag without infringement) 1216 025 I'd still be puzzled?. 

You could recognise me by my Deutsche Bahn rucksack.

(Yes, it does sound like a cliché, doesn't it… :jester: )

• Like 1

....recognise the red cliffs around Sidmouth D......lots of coastal path walking done along this coast.

Dave 

Well spotted. I've been coming to the area for more years than I care to remember and still enjoy the walks

• Like 5

RMWeb's Boris doesn't use an actual selfie as a profile pic but apparently he does actually look like that... the reason that a lot of us don't is simply because we're all unspeakably, hideously ugly and don't want to scare anyone...

You speak for yourself!

My Social Secretary is too busy to cope with any more fan mail.

• RMweb Gold

Stayed in this Park Inn a few times and so far it's been fine.

I remember staying in a Travelodge in Liverpool when the alarm went off in the early hours. The fire brigade found a couple of staggers who had brought a toaster with them for doing an after drinking snack!!!

That's it - used to be the Viking in one of its previous incarnations.  Alas it was one of York's hotels which seemed to gradually slide down the scale as management, and name, changed - good to see that it's been rescued.