The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I was just wondering - what is the smallest town or community in the UK? For Germany it would be either Wiedenborstel in Schleswig-Holstein or Dierfeld in Rhineland-Palatinate with just eight residents each.

• RMweb Gold

I was just wondering - what is the smallest town or community in the UK? For Germany it would be either Wiedenborstel in Schleswig-Holstein or Dierfeld in Rhineland-Palatinate with just eight residents each.

I don't think hamlets or villages in England.have a legal status that would enable them to be distinguished from for example a farm or a couple of cottages in the middle of nowhere. I think there are places that consider themselves to be the largest or prettiest village! I noticed in rural France that even somewhere too small to get the town sign indicating you need to drive at 50kph gets a little blue sign with the name of the group of houses. When my friends moved to a cottage in rural Kent, the postman asked them what they wanted the address to be.

Tony

Morning chums,

Ha ha, first in for the first time :P .

Just dropped wifey off at the airport to go back home after an excellent week out here. Will be a bit lonely again for the next couple of months.

It's going to be 'nice' again with the temp. forecast to be in the 50's again :blink: .

Have a good day all.

PL

• RMweb Premium

Morning ERs!

Slept quite well, but in a bad position, apparently - my neck and head are aching in any case <_< . It's a calm morning over here and quite hazy - guess the last heat wave's over for good.

Have a nice day all!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, lovely morning here. Not a lot needs to be done over the weekend, there is quite a long list but as I am the arbiter of what is necessary and urgent it will as usual be put off. 'Never do today what you can leave till tomorrow' has always served me well.

Bit of a lazy morning, some guitar practice then over for an informal gathering at my son's house this afternoon. Should be good as both grandsons will be there, some good photo opportunities I think.Tomorrow it's the Gauge O bash at Otterbourne, so will probably wander up there at some stage.

Whatever you're doing, including BoD who seems to have taken on Dave's working hours, have a good one.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a very pleasant here this morning. I'm off to Enfield to visit MiL again today. My wife will be accompanying me this time instead of Matthew. I think he has seen enough bubble wrap and cardboard for a while.

Tony

Morning All,

It is rather cloudy here - but the sun seems to be breaking through, so fingers crossed for a nice day.

I was just wondering - what is the smallest town or community in the UK?

As Tony quite rightly said, a village is not legally defined in the UK and therefore a claim to be the smallest village cannot be proved. Where a village becomes a hamlet is a very grey area!

The village of Ault Hucknall near Bolsover claims the title of smallest village in England. Although I am sure there are probably smaller hamlets.

When I was at University, my weekend job was working at a Garden Centre, and I used to deliver flowers in rural Kent. This was obviously before the days of Sat Nav and the addresses could be very interesting. As a result, I know much of Kent and East Sussex like the back of my hand! You would get an address like:

1 Rose Cottages

Hangmans Lane

Cranbrook

If you were lucky, the name of the lane was there - but not always. Cranbrook in particular was a huge area and Rose Cottages (made up by the way) could be several miles from the town itself.

Pubs, village stores, Post Offices and Postmen became your best friends! The usually knew where a particular place was. One particular Christmas Eve springs to mind - It was around half past six in the evening, and I was trying to get the deliveries finished. These were obviously Christmas flowers and had to be delivered - it was cold, freezing fog was coming down and I had a delivery to do on the North Downs near to Wichling. I ended up having to knock on the door of an old couple to ask directions! They even invited me in for a drink (true Christmas spirit) but I had to decline due to needing to finish the deliveries.

Telling this story reminds me that Wichling is a very interesting place. It is little more than a Church and a few scattered houses nowhere near the Church. The actual village of Wichling was wiped out by the plague - leaving only the Church.

Anyway - enough rambling on the fascinating subject of English villages - I'm off for some coffee and rolls!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

I have a cunning plan.

I have devised a list of my own. Whenever the powers that be ask what I have been up to, I can reply, with complete honesty, that I have been working my way through the list.

I wonder if it will work.

• RMweb Premium

I have a cunning plan.

I have devised a list of my own. Whenever the powers that be ask what I have been up to, I can reply, with complete honesty, that I have been working my way through the list.

I wonder if it will work.

[/quote

In my experience about 5 seconds before additions and deletions occur, still with six weeks to play with if I don't make progress on my challenge layout it will have to say lack of effort on my report.

Sounds a good plan BoD! You should borrow Gordon's Eastwood Town list to make it look authentic.

Full set of non-threatening but grey oktas visible from my window and yet there's hazy sunshine. Time for a cuppa and a read before I do anything more strenuous.

Eyes will be on the sky today/tomorrow for Farnborough appearances. Had the Red Arrows on Monday and a Lancaster last night. Just hoping the wind is in the right direction to bring stuff over here. Could be a good one....

Something here to please everyone.

Saturday 19 July approx 12.30 - 17.30

• 12.30 Carolyn Grace Spitfire IXT, Take-off
  • 12.31 Aero Sekur Shooting Stars/Red Devils
  • 12.42 Carolyn Grace Spitfire IXT
  • 12.50 Consolidated Catalina
  • 13.00 Red Arrows Formation Display
  • 13.31 Airbus A-380
  • 13.40 HAL Dhurv
  • 13.47 Eurofighter Typhoon
  • 13.59 Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Hornet
  • 14.08 Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet
  • 14.17 Bell/Agusta BA-609 Tilt Rotor, Take-off
  • 14.18 Aermacchi M-346
  • 14.25 Bell/Agusta BA-609 Tilt Rotor
  • 14.33 111Sqn. Hunter Tribute, Take-off
  • 14.34 Alenia C-27J
  • 14.41 111Sqn. Hunter Tribute
  • 14.49 Hawker Sea Hawk
  • 14.57 Douglas DC-6
  • 15.06 The Blades Extra 300LPS, Take-off
  • 15.07 Red Arrows Depart
  • 15.13 Avro Vulcan B-2, Take-off
  • 15.14 The Blades Extra 300LPS
  • 15.30 Three SE5As, Take-off
  • 15.32 Avro Vulcan B-2
  • 15.40 Vickers Vimy
  • 15.47 Great War Display Team
  • 16.02 USAF B-1B
  • 16.07 Swift Aerobatic Display Team
  • 16.22 Indian Air Force Helicopter Team
  • 16.36 Boeing Apache
  • 16.44 Aerostars YAK-50 Team, Take-off
  • 16.47 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
  • 17.03 Rolls Royce Spitfire XIX PR, Take-off
  • 17.04 Aerostars YAK-50 Team
  • 17.18 Rolls Royce Spitfire XIX P

• RMweb Gold

Eyes will be on the sky today/tomorrow for Farnborough appearances. Had the Red Arrows on Monday and a Lancaster last night. Just hoping the wind is in the right direction to bring stuff over here. Could be a good one....

Something here to please everyone.

Saturday 19 July approx 12.30 - 17.30

• 12.30 Carolyn Grace Spitfire IXT, Take-off
  • 12.31 Aero Sekur Shooting Stars/Red Devils
  • 12.42 Carolyn Grace Spitfire IXT
  • 12.50 Consolidated Catalina
  • 13.00 Red Arrows Formation Display
  • 13.31 Airbus A-380
  • 13.40 HAL Dhurv
  • 13.47 Eurofighter Typhoon
  • 13.59 Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Hornet
  • 14.08 Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet
  • 14.17 Bell/Agusta BA-609 Tilt Rotor, Take-off
  • 14.18 Aermacchi M-346
  • 14.25 Bell/Agusta BA-609 Tilt Rotor
  • 14.33 111Sqn. Hunter Tribute, Take-off
  • 14.34 Alenia C-27J
  • 14.41 111Sqn. Hunter Tribute
  • 14.49 Hawker Sea Hawk
  • 14.57 Douglas DC-6
  • 15.06 The Blades Extra 300LPS, Take-off
  • 15.07 Red Arrows Depart
  • 15.13 Avro Vulcan B-2, Take-off
  • 15.14 The Blades Extra 300LPS
  • 15.30 Three SE5As, Take-off
  • 15.32 Avro Vulcan B-2
  • 15.40 Vickers Vimy
  • 15.47 Great War Display Team
  • 16.02 USAF B-1B
  • 16.07 Swift Aerobatic Display Team
  • 16.22 Indian Air Force Helicopter Team
  • 16.36 Boeing Apache
  • 16.44 Aerostars YAK-50 Team, Take-off
  • 16.47 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
  • 17.03 Rolls Royce Spitfire XIX PR, Take-off
  • 17.04 Aerostars YAK-50 Team
  • 17.18 Rolls Royce Spitfire XIX P

Even Gordon is giving us lists now!

Even Gordon is giving us lists now!

Yes - but that's more my kind of list...

Beats something like:

Paint garage door

Weed vegetable garden

Hoover cellar

Ironing

Water house plants

• RMweb Gold

Yes - but that's more my kind of list...

Beats something like:

Paint garage door

Weed vegetable garden

Hoover cellar

Ironing

Water house plants

Unfortunately I don't have a cellar! If I did it would be full of railway stuff!

I'm just about to depart for Enfield. It sounds as if the country is one big traffic jam (start of school holidays). We do know most of the alternate non-motorway routes though if the traffic is bad.

Tony