The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just Googled it. Fascinating stuff. It was painted green during WW2 to protect if from enemy bombs. John Major was born there in 1943. Apparently he went on to hold some junior government job...

attachicon.gifsthelier.jpg

I dont recall it looking that clean but it was a very overcast dull weekend!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"I'd left the forms under my car keys so I wouldn't forget them!!!!"

I often do much the same; I keep my bus pass with my walking-about glasses, so when I'm going out I can pick them both up.... I rarely pick up both on first attempt, so I either go out wearing reading glasses or without the pass.

Windy here overnight and still blowing a bit with occasional gusts. There was a tree down on the Romsey-Salisbury line but it should be clear now. A nearly very nasty event at Fawley; a tug with 2 crew capsized. One was recovered but there was no trace of the other until a shore worker spotted him still trapped in the tug, jumped in and got him out.

I'm not impressed by the lack of empathy shown by management at Neil's former workplace in such circumstances. I wonder if there's a more "macho" culture on Fraggle Rock than in some more enlightened parts of the mainland?

Jamie, Before seeing your second post I was thinking you could reinforce the plaster with duct tape, but I expect a bandage is more appropriate. I'm probably too inclined to resort to duct tape to fix things temporarily; it doesn't always work or last, despite what Mythbusters have achieved with it!

Pete (Trisonic) thanks for the EC link. I haven't heard the Beano album for years although I have it on vinyl. The stereo system has been out of use for years, partly because the amp went all peculiar and partly because it didn't fit in with domestic arrangements ("You're not putting the speakers there, they're in the way and if you use the wall brackets I'll bang my head on them"). Changed circumstances mean I can revive it if I get a new amp (and move the Lego mountain.... to where?). Also sounds-related, I have been exploring internet radio and found a site that hosts a variety of folk/country/blues etc stations so I mow have music while I surf.

Have a good day and good wishes for better health for those under the weather (or the knife).

Pete

• Like 11

All the best to those in any form of trouble or difficulty.

With my 'cockwomblement' hat on I can tell anyone who wants to hear that many people in line management get terribly tied in knots over 'what to do' in the event of tragedy in the organisation. So indoctrinated with not crossing lines of control, that they forget that this falls completely outside that prescription and what is required is to be a human being first toward those most immediately affected. (And accept that some of their colleagues may be petty or seek to make political capital out of it subsequently. That's reality.)

... I hope all the various building equipment is well secured around the building site that still surrounds our still new home...

That wouldn't be your Tyvek sarking in my back garden then? It's going to be repurposed to give a couple of birdboxes a major constructional upgrade.

... I'd left the forms under my car keys so I wouldn't forget them!

I have always put the truly vital stuff for the day's mission in the intended footwear, since I have never yet gone out forgetting to put anything on my feet. It's a matter of finding the solution that works every time for you.

I haven't been able to educate my wife in this technique mind. After more than thirty years of my dedicated tuition she still cannot manage putting the car keys in the same place every time, so that they may be obtained immediately without need of a major hunting out process. I am reliably informed that this constitutes part of her incomparable allure.

Just Googled it. Fascinating stuff. It was painted green during WW2 to protect if from enemy bombs. John Major was born there in 1943. Apparently he went on to hold some junior government job...

Is it no longer compulsory to follow 'John Major' with 'the only man who ran away fro the circus to become an accountant'?

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Ah telegrams - my first Christmas job on the Post Office was as a Telegram Boy (literally as the rules were bent slightly by the father of a school friend because I was a couple of weeks short of the official age for Christmas staff)  Odd to relate but the school  friend and I met in Tesco's car park the other day and spent about 40 minutes talking about our Christmas post experiences and being favoured for overtime, even more coincidental was the fact that a couple of hundred yards down a nearby lane was where Gladys Cooper lived and I got a tip of half a crown for delivering a telegram to her on Christmas Eve.

On a more pertinent note I think HH's advice is very sound - a difficult area and I will say no more but there are times when we must think of ourselves first however much we might wish to do otherwise,  Now back to the weather - blowing a right hoolie last night and must check that the concrete in the garden is still there although all the trees look to be in place so I doubt the concrete has moved; however the plastic garden chairs have slightly relocated, as usual.

Tomorrow I shall not only be rising early but at a time of day I have not seen for many a year as I have to catch the 06.36 train to connect in Reading with the 07.33 to Penzance enroute to my other 'local' model shop in Camborne.  I think the last time I caught a train before 07.00 was the day I returned from a conference in Stromstad - a somewhat different branchline from our local little line.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Apparently Amazon are testing their 'delivery drones' in a secret location in our province - http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/technology/amazon-tests-delivery-drones-at-a-secret-site-in-canada-here-s-why-1.3015425

Unmanned devices, carrying possible valuable items at slow speed and low heights - what could possibly go wrong with that?

A new pastime with a large net.

Drone Poaching

• RMweb Gold

I know it is traditional on this thread to describe rail related commuting problems but Aditi left home at 7.30 this morning. A few minutes ago she was stationary in Canning Town. She had been expecting traffic to be lighter than usual too. Traffic is backed up in the opposite direction too. The QE2 bridge was closed earlier due to the high winds but she said there have also been accidents, probably every time the queue clears people drive into each other. She expects to be at Stratford at lunchtime.

A new pastime with a large net.

Drone Poaching

I have in mind an 88mm, that should stop them. That idea will go the way of my last one. That was the use of a Bren for clay pigeon shooting!

Aden gun pack? Is it time for my medication all ready?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I have in mind an 88mm, that should stop them. That idea will go the way of my last one. That was the use of a Bren for clay pigeon shooting!

Dad told me about use of inappropriate weapons to shoot rabbits as dietary supplements while on active service in the army.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And as for other drone use, I posted the news on Facebook about someone using drones to herd sheep. I am sure you can imagine the response from our Wirral correspondent!

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Hey Judge,

Much as I like the thought of fiddling with proximity fuses, a Bofors 40 mm might be a little more accurate at the lower speed and altitude that these things will fly at.

However, since more than half the fun would be the piracy aspect of a mega box from Hattons or the like, we need to use a less destructive method of stopping the delivery service.

Of course, using a net means that instead of mounting the Defence of the Ruhr you could hold then hold the drones to ransom!

And you thought you needed medication?

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

For the sheer spectacle as well as a (probable) better chance of a kill I'd want a flakvierling (4 x 20mm cannon) or quad .50 cal Brownings. There are some interesting weapons in Fallout 3 but they aren't real apparently. I deplore the use of expensive and often unreliable technology to eliminate real peoples' jobs. I wonder what the most appropriate method of disabling self-service tills might be. A local (fairly small) branch of WHS has installed one and the checkout operator has taken to wandering the shop floor tidying up the stock, ignoring anybody waiting at the till. I wonder how many sales they are losing: I'm not the only person to have walked out in disgust. Other places sell the same mags (though not everywhere, I know).

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a dry corner of Wales.

New sink arrived Thursday.  Started sorting and moving cupboards (The recycle yard is going to have a field day...) and Ray has started on the plumbing. 

Still in progress...

Just having a cuppa and reading going through some modelling mags to save articles of interest before adding the rest to the recycle bin.  Since we never bothered with stools for the breakfast bar, the space underneath will make a great storage space for the railway books and (recent) magazines.

Hope things go well for everyone today.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

My ex Tornado jockey mate would swear by the Mauser cannon that he loved to use. Whenever other aircraft, ships or armoured vehicles are mentioned he just says " You mean a target".

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

A skim read shows support on so many sides, TVM! I really had reached rock-bottom on Sunday, decided a catheter was the only way out. Half an hour after arriving at hospital - driven by neighbour Ivy - installation took place, the solo duty nurse at the reception desk having contacted my consultant and been given his blessing. Oh the relief! I stayed in overnight, and everything went very well. The consultant visited me at 0820 and said I could now go home, which I did after various necessary errands in the hospital, and lunch. Sadly things went downhill from there, and the catheter is now playing silly Bs. A visit to the hospital - it's only just over 25 miles, after all - in the early evening didn't make much difference, and I was assured things are "normal". So why so different from the first 13 hours then? Anyway, it's only a couple of days to the op, so I'll probably survive.

I've just had a conversation with Norma, a retired Sister from a hospital in Manchester, and she has been reassuring me, being very familiar with the foible of catheters. Our chat was interrupted by phone problems - the wind here is a bit fierce just now, and all our lines are on pole-routes.

Poor Sherry is trying to buoy me up, and it will be lovely to have her here tomorrow evening.

Hope others are surviving. Apologies for not being in-depth on everyone's contributions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

A skim read shows support on so many sides, TVM! I really had reached rock-bottom on Sunday, decided a catheter was the only way out. Half an hour after arriving at hospital - driven by neighbour Ivy - installation took place, the solo duty nurse at the reception desk having contacted my consultant and been given his blessing. Oh the relief! I stayed in overnight, and everything went very well. The consultant visited me at 0820 and said I could now go home, which I did after various necessary errands in the hospital, and lunch. Sadly things went downhill from there, and the catheter is now playing silly Bs. A visit to the hospital - it's only just over 25 miles, after all - in the early evening didn't make much difference, and I was assured things are "normal". So why so different from the first 13 hours then? Anyway, it's only a couple of days to the op, so I'll probably survive.

I've just had a conversation with Norma, a retired Sister from a hospital in Manchester, and she has been reassuring me, being very familiar with the foible of catheters. Our chat was interrupted by phone problems - the wind here is a bit fierce just now, and all our lines are on pole-routes.

Poor Sherry is trying to buoy me up, and it will be lovely to have her here tomorrow evening.

Hope others are surviving. Apologies for not being in-depth on everyone's contributions.

Glad to hear from you Ian.  I do hope the op goes well tomorrow. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

My ex Tornado jockey mate would swear by the Mauser cannon that he loved to use. Whenever other aircraft, ships or armoured vehicles are mentioned he just says " You mean a target".

Jamie

How does a GAU-8/A grab you? Not at all man-portable, I should add for those considering this mandatory.

We need to see the drone capability before deciding on what would be a sporting weapon to engage it with. There's not much general use i a field sports context of crossbows is there?

Given that many of our competitive field sports have arisen directly from such practical and necessary operations in the past, we should be ready for eventual recognition of this activity as an Olympic event. So, who's up for the UK drone poaching board of control? Be prepared for disappointment, once having sweated blood to get the sport established and internationally popular the IOC will then appoint the members of the Federation International de Bourdonner Bracconage Et Regulation (FIBBER) intentionally ignoring those who did all the groundwork.

Sadly things went downhill from there, and the catheter is now playing silly Bs. A visit to the hospital - it's only just over 25 miles, after all - in the early evening didn't make much difference, and I was assured things are "normal". So why so different from the first 13 hours then? Anyway, it's only a couple of days to the op, so I'll probably survive.

I silted up, Ian. Normal flow flushes away the bits of crud, but when you interrupt the flow as you have had to, it doesn't, and the latent residue sometimes blocks the plumbing. I needed a bit of backflushing with sterile water to make mine operate well, occasionally. Maybe that's what they mean by 'normal'.

Good luck.

4 years ago this Easter week the drive belt on my vacuum broke after something jammed in the rotator brush. Unable to find one in the local shops I resorted to supa-gluing the belt back together.

4 years supa-glued and still going strong.

• Like 13