The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Permission to ask a dumb question?

If one pilot is armed and he/she is the looney, what's the point of having a 2nd occupant?

Use up more ammo??? :jester:

EDIT: I WAS thinking of saying that anyone armed on a flight deck is a loony, but decided to refrain from starting a bun-fight...whoops, there I said it...

There was rumor (very low level and very briefly) when they decided to allow this to potentially make it MANDATORY! Most of the commercial pilots I know thought that was a totally stupid idea!

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Btw as my Wife says my “Green Card” is up for renewal next year and suggests I should get Naturalized....

We've had our cat done and it's well worth it.

Surely the crew will have gone through security like the passengers??

They do but at most airports here there is a separate/special security for crew, and obviously pilots with the permit to carry a weapon are cleared. Those airports without the "special security gate" simply declare the weapon and show their permit etc. but I don't think they just pull the gun out and say, "oh, by the way I've got this..." :) :triniti:

Interestingly enough, if you decide to be one of those pilots, you better have a VERY good control of your bladder etc., because one of the rules is that if you are carrying a weapon, it mustn't leave your person AND you can't leave the flightdeck with it in flight!

I don't know "all" the rules, but the idea is to protect the flight deck, not head on out to have a shot out in the main cabin with passengers - there are armed Sky Marshall for that, though they aren't on every flight... guns...everywhere... <sigh>

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

Aft'noon all,

My hope for today is that those responsible for air travel safety are able to devise ways to protect both the crew and passengers from themselves.   

Getting back in from work 3pm..ish today in bright sunshine was an ideal opportunity for the long clockwise constitutional.

Up onto Morridge where the snow still lingers....looking east towards Warslow

post-7795-0-74459200-1427474906.jpg

Bearing right at what was The Mermaid and heading round to Onecote presented some good views across the Peak District towards The Manifold valley

post-7795-0-53915400-1427474920.jpg

post-7795-0-46584500-1427474933.jpg

The long climb out of Onecote and back over Morridge....this view looking back towards Onecote

post-7795-0-44376500-1427474950.jpg

Now music by Mr E's Beautiful Blues....Eels

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I've managed to catch up only on today's posts.

I do hope that I've now sorted out the last phase of my retirement, but the whole pensions scene has changed so dramatically that I was struggling - and I was a pensions advisor some 25 years ago, and in the end had to get advice myself, but better that than making an expensive and irrevocable mistake.

Also, finally had a phone call from Indesit to say that the new washing machine is on its way - at last, and will be here next week - same day as my rearranged hospital appointment!  I just hope that as it's all on April Fool's day that it is not an ill omen.

Also it looks as if Lil's ear-oles are on the mend, but as usual, the vet wants another visit "just to be on the safe side".

Generic greetings is still about all I can offer, but I noticed in passing that several of us have ailments, or ailing relatives, so get well wishes to all of you/them.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Use up more ammo??? :jester:

EDIT: I WAS thinking of saying that anyone armed on a flight deck is a loony, but decided to refrain from starting a bun-fight...

So not only was I and my colleagues bad, but also mad!

Mad bad boys that make a lot of noise with their toys. (But only after they have left the vicinity of the aircraft)

Currently I am in a dilemma:

Do I run in the black 64xx or the green one?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well. it's now official - I am chronic, confirming your long-held suspicions! I see the anaesthetist on Monday with a view to surgery on Thursday for Chronic Retention. I expect to be in 4 or 5 days if I'm lucky. The urologist is absolutely smashing, has a sense of humour, as does his lady receptionist. So I almost enjoyed my visit. And he could not be more sympathetic. He even told me there are a lot of Brits in the area - and none speaks better French than me! Mind you, perhaps it's good form to be nice to a bloke before you stick your finger you-know-where.....

I have to be terribly impressed with it all, as the outcome of today's consultation far exceeded my expectations. Oh - and if things become impossible over the weekend, just call at the clinic, he is available and will have me catheterised at once.  

• Like 2

Good luck with that, Ian and I hope you will feel more comfortable soon.

Had to chuckle though as old age gets you one way or the other. Most of my Senior golfing mates would happily accept some retention as it's not unusual for some to disappear into the bushes two or three times in a round......

• Like 2

Sainsbury's are currently offering a "double up" promotion where you exchange your Nectar points for double their value for selected products. They are extensively promoting this, and some staff are wearing tee-shirts with "double up" emblazoned on the front.

However when a, shall we say, generously endowed young lady walked with energy through the store wearing one of the said tee-shirts, the words "double up" prominently displayed in a somewhat more horizontal position (and with motion) than designed lent a whole new meaning, and it wasn't about Nectar points!

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes to Ian and Louise for their hospital stays.  When I was bed bound in hospital, I had retention, and had to have a catheter fitted, and the feeling of relief when it started working was quite something - a bit like having ten pints, then getting on a suburban train home, and happily finding the gents at the destination station still open. 

So though I've never had chronic retention, I have an idea what it might be like.

Pete - Louise is in the best place - drops in blood sugar of that level are serious, and need to be monitored and managed - not to be encountered at home, as that level of hypoglycaemia can result in more than just a slightly vague feeling in the head.

• Like 1

However when a, shall we say, generously endowed young lady walked with energy through the store wearing one of the said tee-shirts, the words "double up" prominently displayed in a somewhat more horizontal position (and with motion) than designed lent a whole new meaning, and it wasn't about Nectar points!

....are you suggesting that she wouldn't bang her nose if she fell over....CB??

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it a TURP, Ian?

It's what I has almost exactly a year ago. wasn't allowed to drive for two weeks afterwards, so hope you can arrange something. But the effect was great.

I think so. He was a bit sniffy about what is and isn't recognised as good practice in the UK, but he is removing the inner part of the prostate, that much I know. But I don't care. If this means I can sink a few pints at my wedding and process the stuff comfortably I will be a new man. He confirms what I already thought was the case - the prostate is very healthy, just far too big!

And look - let's keep my event in perspective. While it may be a bit uncomfortable for a while afterwards, compared to what Jock and Pete's Louise are facing, mine is a walk in the park.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Well more concrete and edging slabs installed alongside VegPatch1 notwithstanding alarums and excursions.  The INR clinic rang to let me now that my number is too low so please take 13mg of warfarin today and back to normal (10mg) tomorrow but you must have a test on 7 April, give or take 1 day.  Doesn't that sound easy?  Well going by the halfwit, disinterested, totally uncaring receptionists in our surgery you'd think I was asking for an instant heart transplant and a full scale medical team on stand-by.  Seems they cannot manage the very simple task of a blood test not only on the 7th, but not on the 8th and not until the 14th - and my comment about my potential condition resulting from a blood clot was treated with further disinterest - basically a b*nch of t*ssers sat behind those desks who don't give a tuppenny damn about patients, I've half a mind to write privately to my GP and let him know about the idiots he is employing (at my expense).  

Rant over but there's no way they can expect politeness from me in future on that reception desk.

See those who are there, possibly, at Ally Pally tomorrow.

But on the other hand I did get a rather nice pair of cast candlesticks at Emmaus that will look good on the new fireplace in England. But I've been forbidden to buy any more candlesticks. Right. I like candlesticks.

You might like this then:

post-1771-0-39325700-1427484834.jpg

One of a pair made as his final apprenticeship test by my wife's uncle, in a Clyde shipyard in the 1920s. Four and a half inches tall, turned from a single piece of brass. .

• Like 6

I think so. He was a bit sniffy about what is and isn't recognised as good practice in the UK, but he is removing the inner part of the prostate, that much I know. But I don't care. If this means I can sink a few pints at my wedding and process the stuff comfortably I will be a new man. He confirms what I already thought was the case - the prostate is very healthy, just far too big!

And look - let's keep my event in perspective. While it may be a bit uncomfortable for a while afterwards, compared to what Jock and Pete's Louise are facing, mine is a walk in the park.

Best of luck Ian, I trust you will soon be standing up for yourself (and walking in the park). I hope you will not be given Tramadol. :no:

Evenin' all

Well more concrete and edging slabs installed alongside VegPatch1 notwithstanding alarums and excursions.  The INR clinic rang to let me now that my number is too low so please take 13mg of warfarin today and back to normal (10mg) tomorrow but you must have a test on 7 April, give or take 1 day.  Doesn't that sound easy?  Well going by the halfwit, disinterested, totally uncaring receptionists in our surgery you'd think I was asking for an instant heart transplant and a full scale medical team on stand-by.  Seems they cannot manage the very simple task of a blood test not only on the 7th, but not on the 8th and not until the 14th - and my comment about my potential condition resulting from a blood clot was treated with further disinterest - basically a b*nch of t*ssers sat behind those desks who don't give a tuppenny damn about patients, I've half a mind to write privately to my GP and let him know about the idiots he is employing (at my expense).  

Rant over but there's no way they can expect politeness from me in future on that reception desk.

See those who are there, possibly, at Ally Pally tomorrow.

Hi Mike, 13mg of warfarin!  My dose at the moment is 5 per day dropping to 4 over the weekend to lower my INR from 3.1 down to between 2 and 2.5.

I've been fitted with an American heart valve which operates at those levels. The bugbear is that during my first week out of hospital I was sent to five different health centres across Hull in five days for testing. Now I'm at the most convenient one, once a week.  I have also discovered that there was a clinic at my own doctors which is a matter of yards from my home until very recently but their space was wanted by my doctor because of an increase in his patients .

Edited by Judge Dread