The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Very doubtful. :angry:  2 or 3 hours standing and walking on that floor would do me in. Trying not to over stress the knee at the moment. It has to be fully functional for Rotarail and Burgess Hill.

Well, if you fancy a beer or two on Saturday evening in London let us know.

I must try and get some cushions for our stools in time for those shows. Its much more comfy using Phatbobs stools with cushions on them.

Train 10 late into LBG this morning due to congestion. M & S were handing out free hot cross bun tasters. Apparently Southern staff in pink hi-vis were handing out coffee vouchers but didnt notice that as was already late!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Morning all, blue skies and white/grey clouds over Borough Market Junction.

The letter from the eye surgeon asking my GP to refer me for other tests came through yesterday. I expect a call from the surgery today - or else I'll be following up tomorrow.

In a few short weeks I've to get to London, make my way from the city centre to Heathrow and board a flight and be on it for half a day have a little stop in China and then back to flying for another day.

I've only been on an aircraft once before and never been to China or my final destination.

What could go wrong? :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning, sunshine and a sharp frost this morning.

Gardening jobs/clean up continue today, at some point I will have to clean/power wash the flags at the back of the house though I think I will pass on that one today.

Enjoy the sunshine....if you have  got it

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny Estuary-Land, tea'd and toasted and raring to go, but to where I have no idea. Interesting to read about Borgward, they seem to have been a very innovative company, rather like Jowett who also did not have the financial strength to survive. I know there are other reasons for the demise of both companies but sad nevertheless.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright & sunny but no garden engineering today as my Chief Asst is on RDA (Riding For the Disabled) duty this afternoon - the management have told me that we will be going out to a local NT property.

Ah, the Borgward Isabella - there's a memory as one used to live just round the corner back in the very late 1950s - very different looking thing from run of the mill cars of its time.  We also had a Jowett Javelin driving around locally back then as well.  Now Gordon I reckon what you ought to do is scout around the area and find out where else your team of seemingly disorganised workers are also working - late arrivals and periodic absences sound very much like the usual (alas) story of them working on at least one other site as well.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 7

Morning all (just)

Sunny and frosty here in La France Profonde, so coffee and croissants in bed whilst the house warms up a bit. It's costing a fortune in Butagaz!

Still blue skies but not as bright now. Off in a minute to Fougeres to visit Emmaus (for Julie).

Good news is that the goat has gone. Colchicine is a miracle medicine, but more than 3 days and it kills you...

Sympathies to those in travail, and of course thoughts with the passengers and crew of the Germanwings Airbus.

Off now to look at secondhand junk.

• Like 10

Morning all! Haven't read the last 5 pages since midday yesterday, so hope all are as well as can be expected.

Got the job application away at 6pm but wasn't feeling up to ceilidhing by then, so just had a pleasant evening of chat instead.  Don't expect to even get an interview, but it's always worth a shot.

Dry and sunny in Edinburgh this morning and not too cold. 

• RMweb Premium

I'd be inclined to give Gordon's concreters at least some benefit of the doubt. If they have a Transit type tipper it may be that the various loads that could in theory be transported together may, collectively, take it over weight. Plod look out for overloaded contractors' trucks to nick.

Fine day here with a frosty start. Last night My step-DIL gave birth to my second step-granddaughter. Mum isn't very well after but should be on the mend soon. A visit may be arranged later.

Have a good day

Pete

• Like 3

Morning all,

We never had a Borgward but dad had several Jowetts, the first a 'Bradford' van, then a 'Bradford' saloon and finally a couple of 'Javelins'! The latter always looked pretty futuristic to my young eyes.

Off shortly to take Archie for a walk on the sea front - I want to see the work going on to protect the coastline from the sea. They have a special ship which is dredging up the beach and making a base which is then covered in massive rocks which I believe have come by barge from Scandinavia. It is hoped that the work will prevent the erosion which is caused by long shore drift on this part of the coast. Sadly looks as if the sea front promenade will be closed to the public for the most of the season however!

Nice one Debs, needless to say, I haven't mentioned it to Joanna though!

Hope your week progresses smoothly, and Andrew finds a bit more comfort,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 11

Lovely start to the day, and as one of my neighbours is using up a couple of days annual leave he has agreed to foot the ladder a little later today while I whiz up and down to clear gutters on several houses occupied by those rich in years rather than ladder-ability. A fine crop of grass has become very evident on several, a quirk of the guttering design that traps leaves and moss.

I have now changed all my taps to the lever type, only to be told that the ceramic valves do not like hard water.

Is there a tap design that really likes hard water? (Seriously, if anyone knows!)The ceramic taps outperform all the earlier alternatives on our top job hard water. (The flow smoother devices that come in the outlets of modern taps have to be de-furred annually as a minimum, hot and cold alike.) The benefit is that the water tastes good, unlike that soapy slimy stuff in soft water areas...

Marriage..."It begins when you sink into his arms; and ends with your arms in his sink!"

They haven't had the right advice. Got to start as you mean to go on. Practical example:

The Importance of Being Ignorant.

ACT 1, New domesticity.

Scene 1, Just returned from honeymoon.

Him and Her enter the kitchen, late evening.

ME: "So, what's for dinner?"

SHE: " I can boil an egg."

ME: "We've got the makings for a ham or cheese omelette and green salad with new potatoes."

SHE: "Oh, yes please."

And so on...

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

We bought a dishwasher about a year after we were married. Back then owning a dishwasher seemed to really irritate people and possession of such a device seemed to imply one was lazy. How times have changed. Also when Aditi got a mobile phone in 1994 it caused much sarcasm in the staffroom.

Tony

• Like 5

Morning all,

Bright & sunny but no garden engineering today as my Chief Asst is on RDA (Riding For the Disabled) duty this afternoon - the management have told me that we will be going out to a local NT property.

Ah, the Borgward Isabella - there's a memory as one used to live just round the corner back in the very late 1950s - very different looking thing from run of the mill cars of its time.  We also had a Jowett Javelin driving around locally back then as well.  Now Gordon I reckon what you ought to do is scout around the area and find out where else your team of seemingly disorganised workers are also working - late arrivals and periodic absences sound very much like the usual (alas) story of them working on at least one other site as well.

Have a good day one & all.

I can't see a problem if they are doing 2 jobs at once as they need to do something whilst concrete/mortar is settin, paint drying etc. In any case I suspect the first break involved a visit to a local "builder's caff" for a good brekky. That's where I go when I fancy a fry-up and it's busy around that time.

Ed

• Like 1

Another lovely sunny day here in Torbay. For the past couple of weeks, I've been adjusting to wearing hearing aids, although I don't really need them all the time, especially when I'm with Ian!! One delightful discovery is that there are other birds around here besides seagulls!

This morning, I've had all four tyres on my 5.5 year old Fiesta replaced; the front two were worn (the MOT looms) and the rear two were causing road noise due to them being distorted so that the tread was creating a ripple effect. Total cost: £275, including labour and alignment, which I thought was reasonable since I'd opted for the best quality. As you all know, I do a lot of solo driving here and in France so I rely on my car reaching its destination without problems.

A busy week will see me singing in performances in Torquay Museum, Paignton Library and the Barbican in Plymouth as part of the singing project celebrating the life of Oliver Heaviside. Our Choir for this is called The Choral Engineers! More details may be found  by googling "The Heaviside Condition" or looking on Facebook.

• Like 17