The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A number of “rock” people live in the same town as me, I’m friends with Barry Mitterhof of "Hot Tuna” and see Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens around town most days. I’m not a starstruck fan;   I’ve been around famous musicians most of my life.

I was just a kid when I was introduced to Leopold Stokowski - and was truly amazed to shake hands with a gentleman who had shaken hands with Mickey Mouse! I’ve walked Bond Street with Paul McCartney and shared a bizarre moment when we got trapped on a traffic island surrounded by camera flashing Japanese tourists.

I’ve had lunch (for me) breakfast (for him) with Jimi Hendrix (and Chas Chandler) in a small cafe in London’s Denmark Street - JMH also bought me a beer in a Pub next to the Fire Station on Shaftesbury Avenue - long since demolished, the Pub that is -  a few weeks later. Which nearly caused my non-musician pal from school who I was with to choke on his Scotch Egg...

It’s a nearly common occurrence with me. I don’t get tongue tied like a lot of people and can conduct a normal conversation with anyone, that is an incredible asset for me - it helps being a fellow musician and painter.

I’ve never sought “fame” for myself  and have actively discouraged it when appropriate.  

One former famous English Record Company  wanted me to sing, play guitar  and head up a band with a truly extraordinary other English guitarist - who’s still famous to this day but unfortunately deceased!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Off the bus and a walk round the markets.

A local delicacy, cuy, otherwise known as guinea pig.

attachicon.gif2015_0322_17481400(2).jpg

And before you ask, no.

Mrs NB did however sample some of the local cakes

attachicon.gif2015_0322_17531600(2).jpg

Most of the local taxis look like this

attachicon.gif2015_0322_17564900(2).jpg

I think this an alpaca.

attachicon.gif2015_0322_18243000(2).jpg

Excellent shots Mick.

My other half used to breed and show Guinea Pigs but not quite like that!!

A few years ago we were looking at doing some of the places that you are doing but were told that if going it alone and cant speak Spanish then it would be a major problem. How are you finding the language situation?

Ian

• Like 6

A number of “rock” people live in the same town as me, I’m friends with Barry Mitterhof of "Hot Tuna” and see Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens around town most days. I’m not a starstruck fan;   I’ve been around famous musicians most of my life.

I was just a kid when I was introduced to Leopold Stokowski - and was truly amazed to shake hands with a gentleman who had shaken hands with Mickey Mouse! I’ve walked Bond Street with Paul McCartney and shared a bizarre moment when we got trapped on a traffic island surrounded by camera flashing Japanese tourists.

I’ve had lunch (for me) breakfast (for him) with Jimi Hendrix (and Chas Chandler) in a small cafe in London’s Denmark Street - JMH also bought me a beer in a Pub next to the Fire Station on Shaftesbury Avenue - long since demolished, the Pub that is -  a few weeks later. Which nearly caused my non-musician pal from school who I was with to choke on his Scotch Egg...

It’s a nearly common occurrence with me. I don’t get tongue tied like a lot of people and can conduct a normal conversation with anyone, that is an incredible asset for me - it helps being a fellow musician and painter.

I’ve never sought “fame” for myself  and have actively discouraged it when appropriate.  

One former famous English Record Company  wanted me to sing, play guitar  and head up a band with a truly extraordinary other English guitarist - who’s still famous to this day but unfortunately deceased!

Best, Pete.

Ah, Bert Weedon.  That would have been some line up…:-)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A true early riser for once.

Not by choice though...

...the cat hasn't been allowed in the house for 24hrs and I'm the one that has had to deal with her screaming and scratching outside my bedroom window.

Rant over, time for a cuppa.

Happy Monday everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Deep sleep and some strange dreams had last night, though the only thing I remember is that while semi-conscious at one point, I imagined seeing some creature from the previous dream in the bedroom. Looked kind of a cross between a scarecrow and a cartoon Tasmanian devil, I think. Sheesh.

Coffee made.

Evening all,just relaxing after Nottingham and the statutory glass of red has been consumed along with a ice meal tat SWMBO had left out for me.  She even follwed me down to the van hire place at 10.40pm to bring me home.   All in all a good weekend with some excellent company and chat.  Met quite a few RMWebbers and even got some modelling done in between chats.

Haven't had time to read through all the pagesso I'll just say

Goodnight all.

Jamie

Sorry that SWMBO's cooking is not exactly hot stuff.......

Morning All,

Interestingly enough, I too have been having some extremely weird dreams of late.  Of course, there has been a full moon in the past couple of days, which has led to a number of super-tides and so forth.  Although, according to the experts there is no correlation between a full moon and dreaming - just anecdotal evidence.

It is a rather grey morning in this part of the world.  The temperature is down at around freezing.

The weekend was fairly quiet.  Saturday was spent getting a hair cut, and picking up some earth for our new raised beds in the vegetable garden.  By a lucky coincidence, a friend had earth to dispose of, and we needed it!

Oh well - time for a cup of tea, before my first meeting.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Another typical Monday on Southern. Our train terminated at Gatwick supposedly due to points failure at Sydenham.

Another Delay Repay going in.

I keep humming that song about hating Monday's!!

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Back to almost normality this week after a lot of nights away for various reasons.

I have lots of work to do this week so I need to get a shake on. But first...a mug of tea!

Have a great week...

Mickb. At least you recognised the guinea pigs!

Baz

• Like 9

Morning All,

I'd rather not talk about strange dreams.... Let's say if the contents of my dreams were to be transformed into celluloid I'd either become famous as a purveyor of truly wierd Science Fiction (think Phillip K Dick) or I'd be locked away as clinically and dangerously insane... (I blame the succubi, actually)... or both.

I don't think I have met any famous people (outside of a MP or two when I was involved in local politics), but I have met one of the richest men in the world. His family owns one of the top ten pharma companies in the world and he -  for a while - was my orthopaedic surgeon. A thoroughly nice, down to earth, chap.

Interestingly, he also conformed to what an acquaintance I once had said about the really rich (the black sheep of a very wealthy American family, working as a security guard in the hospital I worked in). He told me that the truly rich (not the nouveau riche,  but "old money"), don't have to scream and shout and draw attention to themselves and demand of people "don't you know who I am", they are polite and courteous and they expect things to be done the way they want things to be done (and when they have multiple millions in the bank, things do get done the way they want them done).

In Switzerland there is a saying, "the older the money, the harder it is to see". Indeed 99+% of the blinged-up types at St Mortz and Davos, etc. are foreigners (especially the nouveau riche Russians)

iD

• Like 2

Deep sleep and some strange dreams had last night, though the only thing I remember is that while semi-conscious at one point, I imagined seeing some creature from the previous dream in the bedroom. Looked kind of a cross between a scarecrow and a cartoon Tasmanian devil, I think. Sheesh.

Answers on a postcard.

• Like 5

No, Richard, no shot was involved (though I do recall eating some very expensive pigeon at a fine West End restaurant and spitting shot at one of my companions. Went down well...).

These were duck thighs, marinated overnight in sea salt, sauteed to get the skin crispy and then cooked in a hot oven for 20 minutes - a technique that works very well with magrets. They were like poorly manufactured rubber. Inedible.

In future if I fancy the quackie stuff I'll stick to the confits in tins. Easy to cook, taste great and you get a big pile of fat for roast potatoes.

Steack frites tomorrow, I still remember how to do that.

Breasts are much easier to cook and you get all that fat for your tatties!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a good nights sleep but still aching in various places after moving all those baseboards. Lots to see in these pages this morning.

Mick, great pictures,looking fowrard to seeing some other train ones.

As to famous people I agree with ID'scomment about old and new money.   I once helped drive a steam roller into a large estate and we were greeted personally by the titled owner who insisted on shaking hands with all the crew to welcome us.   (He did comment that he'd got used to dirty hands commanding a tank in the western desert.)

I also nearly got a tray of bacon sandwiches tipped over Margaret Thatcher and had to lend my pen to Prince Charles for him to sign a visitors book.   A mate of mine though did have to get Maggie back from Bardford to Leeds in the snow when the armoured daimler woudn't go up the hill.   They ended up putting her in the rear cab of a pacer and she went bouncy bouncy up the hill backwards out of Bradford.  To her credit though she insisted that the adjacent compartment was left full of the local people and that her staff had to mingle with them.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

Morning all. Coffee and toast already had.

Bright, sunny and cold here. I can see contrails for the first time in months, we may get an armée de l'air flypast at some point. Though they are usually Tuesdays. Amazing how much more cheerful the sight of a blue sky makes a person. And watching the wrens and greenfinches in the tree outside.

Ankle is a lot better, so much so that we are taking a trip to the dechetterie to get rid of old tat (old TV, toaster, broken gas heater etc) and then to the depôt vente to buy new tat...

All married men will know the conversation that goes:

"I'm feeling a bit better."  

"Well in that case..."

So as the red light on the goods van of the weekend disappears into the tunnel of Monday, have a good day all, and may your troubles diminish and your joys increase.

• Like 16

Breasts are much easier to cook and you get all that fat for your tatties!

Indeed. I like to make then with a blackcurrant sauce using créme de cassis.

I saved the fat from the cuisses and put it back into the jar I'd used for frying. I ended up with more than when I started. I've got several jars of duck fat in the fridge in England, which I never seem to use but I never have any at Christmas.

But the tins of confit are so easy, so nice (and so terribly bad for you).

• Like 6

A lot of catching up to do this morning.

The last celeb I spotted was when we were on holiday in France in 2013. Helen Mirren was filming 'The 100 foot Journey' in the local town. Bumped into her a couple of times. It was amazing how, at the start of the day, they would make cosmetic changes to properties that would be in shot then take it all down at the end of the day. However the huge power cables snaking along the streets were there all week. They closed off the main bridge and the river one day!

Looking at Mick's pictures of Cusco, I am amazed at how 'civilised' it has become since we were there twenty years ago. Watching a TV programme the other day, I gathered that they have had to restrict the number of visitors to Machu Picchu. I managed to take a lot of photographs without a tourist in sight!

It's another beautiful day in Donegal, the overnight rain is long gone and is probably with those of you on the mainland by now. The tide was right in so we were dodging the waves to avoid getting our feet wet. It was very cold first thing but once the sun came up it warmed up quickly. Looking at a cold grey sea reminded me of those early morning 'watches' when it seemed to get colder as night left and the sun seemed to take forever to rise. We often used to arrive in Brittany before breakfast; there's something very satisfying about sailing into harbour, having spent the night at sea, when most people are just getting up. This was taken coming into Treguier at such a time, but several years ago.

post-7952-0-90526000-1427099604_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 18

Morning Again,

Gloom and Doom at Schloss iD. My boss just called me and informed me that, as of end of the month, formal notification of redundancy will be issued, from which time (April 1st) I will have 3 months notice and then I am unemployed. Bummer. Basically the company is broke. However, I was informed that there are a number of upcoming projects that should come to fruition before the end of the notice, at which point the notice of redundancy will be torn up. We'll see, we shall see....

So it would appear that I would be on full salary for the next few months and then it's off to the unemployment office. Fortunately. the Swiss unemployment office (RAV) appears to be much more competent than the UK equivalent AND I would get 70% of my previous salary for up to 2 years.

Will need to set out a strategy with Mrs iD tonight. Early retirement may beckon (but not, alas, on my terms).

Still, I have the dogs, more than enough modelling supplies, books and DVDs to see me through.

So it goes, so it goes

iD

• RMweb Gold

Morning Again,

Gloom and Doom at Schloss iD. My boss just called me and informed me that, as of end of the month, formal notification of redundancy will be issued, from which time (April 1st) I will have 3 months notice and then I am unemployed. Bummer. Basically the company is broke. However, I was informed that there are a number of upcoming projects that should come to fruition before the end of the notice, at which point the notice of redundancy will be torn up. We'll see, we shall see....

So it would appear that I would be on full salary for the next few months and then it's off to the unemployment office. Fortunately. the Swiss unemployment office (RAV) appears to be much more competent than the UK equivalent AND I would get 70% of my previous salary for up to 2 years.

Will need to set out a strategy with Mrs iD tonight. Early retirement may beckon (but not, alas, on my terms).

Still, I have the dogs, more than enough modelling supplies, books and DVDs to see me through.

So it goes, so it goes

iD

Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed it all works out OK.

Seems ot be a lot of it about at the moment. I know three people who work on the railways here that are under the possiblitiy of redundancy with one of thsoe being confirmed last Friday.

Even in construction things seem to have gone very quiet with my only current project finishing at Easter although there is a habit of suddenly picking up 3 or 4 projects within a few days then its mayhem!!

Edited by roundhouse