The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

My cunning plan to do as little as possible was slightly thwarted. My really sore knee seemed to make a remarkable recovery so did some pottering around in the house, washed the cars ( Aditi's car now looks whiter than white and mine looks less muddy) and took Robbie for a walk. I did think about doing something on the model railway but it would have involved kneeling so I thought it probably sensible to not irritate the knee so soon.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Felicitations, congratulations, commiserations or get well soon.  Take your pick as best suits you.

Cataract op looming large.

Still dropping by occasionally to keep an eye on you - the good one that is.

(although after a day at school and then prep/marking the better eye seems to give up the ghost and I cant do much at all)

• RMweb Premium

Do less it is not incumbent on you to ruin your eyesight before retiring. Stop when your good eye has had enough you can only do what you can do they should be grateful that you continue to turn up. Rant over!

Do less it is not incumbent on you to ruin your eyesight before retiring. Stop when your good eye has had enough you can only do what you can do they should be grateful that you continue to turn up. Rant over!

We used to have a saying, "It's a job, not a punishment".

Mind you, our head would go round at 5.30pm and kick everybody out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We used to have a saying, "It's a job, not a punishment".

Mind you, our head would go round at 5.30pm and kick everybody out.

Aditi has managed to persuade their security man at college to chuck her out last. Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Evening...

Quite tired after a hectic weekend. Lots of rmwebbers turned up at Nottingham show. A good time was had!

I need a glass of red wine...chianti ..complete with a black cockerel symbol on the neck label and its very quaffable.

Best regards,

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry - they're ours.

My exact words when we were in the Baltic heading to Estonia last summer. Our cruise ship was very closely inspected by a Typhoon (Eurofighter thingy) while we were having breakfast. I thought it rather interesting but some people seemed to be rather agitated.

Fortunately it is one of the few aircraft I can recognise.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Mike, did you ever clock George Harrison on your travels around Henley? I've no idea where his Friar Park estate is but it can't be too far away. I've read in various magazine articles about his cars that he would often be seen in town in his yellow Ferrari Dino when he owned it back in the '70s. Bit of a lad when it came to the internal combustion engine was our George, he liked the idea of being 'green' but certainly wasn't averse to burning copious gallons of fossil fuel for the sheer hell of it...!

I never saw him Nidge - although we were living in Tilehurst at the time he was living in Henley.  Owing to current roadworks I do happen to go past the front gate to the Park quite often - most imposing.

• Like 2

I dated George's secretary - years ago about 1980. No names but she was the daughter of an Air Vice Marshall and worked for John Lennon before George. Very nice girl but nothing came of it. It started over the phone because we liked each other's voice.

I forgot in answer to Nidge, George was a close friend of Jackie Stewart and wrote a truly great song about him racing called “Faster” - interview with George at the beginning:

See if you can spot who is who behind the helmets at the beginning. nice FX of DFVs....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 10

Saw them at Brands Hatch, must be 10 years ago. Impressive. I thought the Lancaster was grounded?

I thought that it was the Canadian one visiting the UK that had some engine issues? The B of B flight site still shows confirmed bookings for this season's shows.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Evening all,

Tired tonight so just a quick look in!

Neil, that is a lovely set of images and I assume that such a low tide is the result of the Moon's recent proximity? Hope you get your sight glass sorted soon - it is an element of the steam locomotive that has caused lots of injury in the past, particularly in the early years. Please take care, I've seen steam burns at close quarters when a clown of a fireman managed to operate the blowdown valve (can't remember the loco!) when my father hadn't quite cleared the bottom step - the steam welded his sock to his ankle and scarred him for life!

Whereas my dad sold motorbikes to lots of stars, at my last garage in the Clacton suburb of Holland on Sea, we had a regular visit from Paul Barber, 'Denzil' of 'Only Fools and Horses'. Thoroughly pleasant and friendly man.

John (CB), pleased the weather stayed fine for your special anniversary treat today! It looked, on TV at least, to be quite a moving ceremony and I suspect the treatment of the remains was in direct contrast to the last time he was buried? They managed to debunk the hunchback myth, but the programme really didn't make clear just what a nasty character he was. Not alone in that respect in those days I suspect!

Got to visit Dracula's daughter tomorrow in preparation for my monthly chemo consultation on Thursday, which is a week early due to the Easter holiday weekend. Bit of a nuisance that I also have to drive to Colchester General on Friday for a scan! It would be too much to expect the different departments to share data to the extent that they could make both appointments on the same day? I shouldn't complain as I have high hopes that this scan could give me a better idea of a prognosis.

I'll try to look in tomorrow, but I shall certainly think of those having to commute to work. Hope the week starts well and all these ailments start to clear up,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night those others still looking in!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,just relaxing after Nottingham and the statutory glass of red has been consumed along with a ice meal tat SWMBO had left out for me.  She even follwed me down to the van hire place at 10.40pm to bring me home.   All in all a good weekend with some excellent company and chat.  Met quite a few RMWebbers and even got some modelling done in between chats.

Haven't had time to read through all the pagesso I'll just say

Goodnight all.

Jamie

• Like 2

BoD, just read your post about the eyes and I really hope they get you sorted soon. Don't know what I'd do if I lost the gift of sight! I suggest you should think carefully about following Mick B's advice!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I’ve edited my post on George Harrison to make it more to the point for Nidge - including the video of “Faster" - great shots of then current piloti, cars and the circuits as were.

Note how good *Stewarts 6 wheel car braked hard.

As ever: Turn it Up!

Best, Pete.

Edit: *Scheckter in the 6 wheeler? Thanks, Jock!

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

I once shared a hotel lift in Birmingham with Kate Bush :sungum:

My uncle in Campbeltown had a smallholding that was adjacent to Paul McCartney's place. I think Uncle George talked to him a couple of times, but I'm pretty sure he had no idea who he was talking to!

Pete, I think I noticed you are or were in NJ. We lived in Wyckoff. I worked in Montvale, and I could see President Nixon driving past my office. After that I commuted to a job in Manhattan - Train from Allendale to Hoboken, then PATH to the WTC. That was until the PATH station was demolished by a bomb in 93.

• Like 5