The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Pete,

Even more impressive when in Japan I received letters from the British Embassy proudly announcing "On Her Britannic Majesty's Service"

Keith

Pretty impressive on “foolscap”envelopes with the lettering about an inch high..... no sealing wax, however.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm stoned!

Well, it's a more interesting version of 'I'm maxed out on Roman ruins'.

Tomorrow is our final day in Rome, and the Obergrumpenfuhrer has decreed that we are to visit the Vatican museum( as opposed to the Vatican itself)

I cannot see her having the same patience as I have exhibited if I were dragging her around a succession of railway and aviation museums. However, reminding her of this might be worth saving for a rainy day when a Railway exhibition beckons.

• Like 4

Who are they? I don’t recognize any of them......

Been away too long, I suppose.

Best, Pete.

Don't worry, Pete - I've no idea who any of them are either - probably because we don't see them on Radio - mind you 99.99% of the regulars on TV I couldn't name and wouldn't recognise either! As SWMBO says - "You know nothing, JT, You know nothing!"

• Like 3

You may see how the Romans executed Christians. by fixing them to crosses, the crosses to merry go rounds and then setting the whole thing on fire....

Btw the Vatican museum is in the the Vatican......

I found the catacombs more interesting. And the cathedral is really, literally,

I'm stoned!

Tomorrow is our final day in Rome, and the Obergrumpenfuhrer has decreed that we are to visit the Vatican museum( as opposed to the Vatican itself)

I cannot see her having the same patience as I have exhibited if I were dragging her around a succession of railway and aviation museums. However, reminding her of this might be worth saving for a rainy day when a Railway exhibition beckons.

awesome - it’s like it is built to a human scale ten times the size of you and me - quite interesting.

Best, Pete.

Sorry a potential senior moment I cannot be bothered to fix...

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Washer has again died - drum appears to have detached completely.  Have sent a snotty e-mail to Indesit asking for a new machine, and also a substantial payment for the stress.  I also now have the name and e-mail address of the CEO of Indesit should I need it once their complaints team get my missive tomorrow am.

As I've spent a lot of time on that, plus sorting out lots of other stuff here today, hopefully some sort of normal service might be resumed from 45156 towers, but probably not until the middle of next week.

Regards to All

Stewart

Don't worry, Pete - I've no idea who any of them are either - probably because we don't see them on Radio - mind you 99.99% of the regulars on TV I couldn't name and wouldn't recognise either! As SWMBO says - "You know nothing, JT, You know nothing!"

I thought it might be “Gardeners Question Time”.......

Best, Pete.

Afternoon all, just up, believe it or not.

Julie just left me, philosophising that when you're asleep you can't feel the pain...

I hope she'll "Be Back Soon" to quote Fagin in "Oliver!"

And hope you soon feel well enough to complete all those tasks you listed!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Who are they? I don’t recognize any of them......

Been away too long, I suppose.

Best, Pete.

I recognise the bloke second from left but can't put a name to the face, haven't got a clue about the others.  Odd about the theatrical sorts - a woman came in into the garage the other month when i was waiting to pick up the car from the MoT - quite unremarkable looking, pleasant and chatting to the garage office staff while very relieved her VW Polo had passed its MoT.  One of the women behind the desk asked if she'd been busy and she said something about doing a play for the BBC.  The play was on telly a week or two later but I didn't recognise her or her name in the 'Radio Times'.

We've got quite a few better known thespian sorts around our part of the world but many of them aren't at all snooty (some are of course)  Paul Daniels missus can sometimes be seen around in her Merc convertible, I nearly bumped into Marsha Fitzalan in Waitrose one day  (alas I wasn't quick enough to go back and see if I could manage it properly and we often see Simon Williams about in the town - very nice bloke and very impressive in the 'Poetry On The River' sessions at literary fest time.   Best of all tho' must have been Gladys Cooper - I got a tip of half a crown from her for delivering a telegram when I was on the Christmas post over 50 years ago.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Frustrating day at Grumble Glen, rebuilt the Steamplex gauge glass with some spare fittings as the new packings hadn't arrived for the proper ones.  Got a drip on steaming her up, which got worse with nipping up, so yet again had to drop the fire and investigate....finding a tiny crack in the base of the thread which had been covered by the nut. #sigh#  So that was scrapped (you have to make things like that unusable in case anyone else picks it up after it has been 'resting' in a box for years!) and so we had one step forwards, one back.  So when the new packings for the gauge glass c o c k s arrive next week hopefully we will have a third go at getting this ready for the boiler inspector.

OK, off to cook dinner, back later if I'm permitted!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You may see how the Romans executed Christians. by fixing them to crosses, the crosses to merry go rounds and then setting the whole thing on fire....

Btw the Vatican museum is in the the Vatican......

I found the catacombs more interesting.

Not more torture?

As someone from South Wales who married a girl from North Wales over 30 years ago, don't you think I have suffered enough?

We saw the queue to get in via the front door at St Peter's this morning, going through the Pope's back passage via Cipro is a lot less congested.

I'd concur with finding the catacombs more interesting. When I went to Verdun, I found the Ossuary fascinating in a most macabre way.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm stoned!

I'm stoned!

When you realise the queue is too large to bother with, pop round the back of the Vatican and take a look at the connection where the mainline has a spur into the Vatican railway. Alternatively, book a tour of the Vatican gardens and get up close to the railway on the inside. Highly modelable, provided you actually want to model St Peters! A photographic backscene would be considered as "whimping out", btw! :angel:    

• Like 4

Gladys Cooper - I got a tip of half a crown from her for delivering a telegram when I was on the Christmas post over 50 years ago.

Gladys Cooper - there's a name - anyone recall the tv series The Rogues with David Niven, Charles Boyer, Robert Coote and Gig Young, all basically cons? Used to really enjoy it - but suspect seeing it today would wonder what on earth I was on.

Mal

• Like 6

I recognise the bloke second from left but can't put a name to the face, haven't got a clue about the others.  Odd about the theatrical sorts - a woman came in into the garage the other month when i was waiting to pick up the car from the MoT - quite unremarkable looking, pleasant and chatting to the garage office staff while very relieved her VW Polo had passed its MoT.  One of the women behind the desk asked if she'd been busy and she said something about doing a play for the BBC.  The play was on telly a week or two later but I didn't recognise her or her name in the 'Radio Times'.

We've got quite a few better known thespian sorts around our part of the world but many of them aren't at all snooty (some are of course)  Paul Daniels missus can sometimes be seen around in her Merc convertible, I nearly bumped into Marsha Fitzalan in Waitrose one day  (alas I wasn't quick enough to go back and see if I could manage it properly and we often see Simon Williams about in the town - very nice bloke and very impressive in the 'Poetry On The River' sessions at literary fest time.   Best of all tho' must have been Gladys Cooper - I got a tip of half a crown from her for delivering a telegram when I was on the Christmas post over 50 years ago.

Mike, did you ever clock George Harrison on your travels around Henley? I've no idea where his Friar Park estate is but it can't be too far away. I've read in various magazine articles about his cars that he would often be seen in town in his yellow Ferrari Dino when he owned it back in the '70s. Bit of a lad when it came to the internal combustion engine was our George, he liked the idea of being 'green' but certainly wasn't averse to burning copious gallons of fossil fuel for the sheer hell of it...!

• Like 6

Washer has again died - drum appears to have detached completely.  Have sent a snotty e-mail to Indesit

Sorry to hear that Stewart. Presumably it's one of those front loaders. Life in the US has a couple of advantages (along with many disadvantages) but one of the great things is that you can get a good old-fangled "top loader" washing machine. They are usually built like brick sheethouses, last for ever, and wash the clothes much faster than the front loader variety. Problem is most houses in the UK don't include a place to put something like that.

Ironically the fashionable trend in the US is now to buy front loaders! The manufacturers claim they are "more efficient" and "use less water", but as they also cost considerably more I strongly suspect the marketing departments have much more to do with this than the engineering departments. The even funnier thing is that they sell expensive matching plinths to sit the things on so you don't need to bend down to load and empty them.

• Like 7

St Peter's didn't do much for me. I found it very large, very dark and a rather inhuman presentation of religion. Also far too ostentatious for my tastes. I like the cathedral in Stockholm which is very plain but has the most wonderful statue of St George

• Like 2

No, Richard, no shot was involved (though I do recall eating some very expensive pigeon at a fine West End restaurant and spitting shot at one of my companions. Went down well...).

These were duck thighs, marinated overnight in sea salt, sauteed to get the skin crispy and then cooked in a hot oven for 20 minutes - a technique that works very well with magrets. They were like poorly manufactured rubber. Inedible.

In future if I fancy the quackie stuff I'll stick to the confits in tins. Easy to cook, taste great and you get a big pile of fat for roast potatoes.

Steack frites tomorrow, I still remember how to do that.

• Like 1