The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just waiting for someone to respond to my submission and then I can POETS.

Sunday is our thirtieth wedding anniversary - and we're celebrating by going to see the cortege of Richard III as it passes through our town.

We sure know how to have a good time.

• Like 11

Aft'noon all,

A full day spent fettling the outdoor part of home....changing outside light bulbs....getting out garden furniture....a couple of trips to the fairly decent garden centre on this side of Macclesfield for bark chippings, compost and a couple of plants, I even managed to resist the Wincle brewery on both trips too!....the 12 sacks of bark have just about replaced the depletions of the last 12 months due to detritivores and anything else that nibbles on it.

A gift for the flower arranger of the house....this shady area is a good place to focus on foliage contrasts

post-7795-0-74314500-1426867888.jpg

We have tree heathers and a good number of standard ones but this was something different

post-7795-0-55849700-1426869427.jpg

Double handfuls of compost mulch for each shrub to provide nutients for the forthcoming growing spell, alongside the new bark

post-7795-0-32955600-1426867916.jpg

Looking somewhat bare just now but should be a bit more colourful in a few weeks time

post-7795-0-12860600-1426867930.jpg

Last years colour

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 16

we're totally devoid of snow, probably for the season now,

I wouldn't be too sure of that. My wife is in NJ. She just sent me a message to let me know it's snowing :)

Edited by AndyID

• RMweb Gold

Hi, from the telegraph on line

But now an enterprising model railway emporium in Devon is set to shatter this cosy fictional world. Buffers of Axminster is selling a new range of steamy miniature figurines to reflect the laid-back (literally in some cases) attitudes and cultural mores of modern Britain.

No more housewives in headscarves or Blytonesque children in shorts and sandals waving glassily from the road bridge. Instead, you can now adorn your foldaway layout with prostitutes in bondage gear, fornicating couples, cavorting pigs, libertines relaxing in garden Jacuzzis, and nudists playing tennis. There’s even an unsuspecting couple doing what comes naturally, unaware of a tiny peeping tom scrutinising their efforts through a balsa wood knothole.

Railway-buff1use_3239203b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/goodlife/11484756/Model-railways-showed-an-idealised-England-until-sexy-scenes-came-along.html

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

John (CB), is it your Uni they are recording "Any Questions" at tonight? Are you going?

Ed

John is at one close to Aston but not Aston. Though he has mentioned moving to a new site. That part of Birmingham is very educationally endowed.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all on this "International Day of Happiness"

The eclipse was a rather gloomy affair but the children were able to watch it on the internet - ok, the transmission was interrupted, leaving the screen a jumble of green pixels quite a lot and it looked more like the northern lights much of the time! Thinking Egypt may be a good alternative in 2027. I can see myself floating down the Nile, G&T in hand, panama hat and blazer on, a la "Captain Hastings", taking in the sights and watching as Ra does his thing! :sungum:

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

John is at one close to Aston but not Aston. Though he has mentioned moving to a new site. That part of Birmingham is very educationally endowed.

Aston? I think Sherry used to have a family connection there....

Just waiting for someone to respond to my submission and then I can POETS.

Sunday is our thirtieth wedding anniversary - and we're celebrating by going to see the cortege of Richard III as it passes through our town.

We sure know how to have a good time.

Congratulations John, but also "blimey", not sure I'd be able to keep up with you given your manic social pace there?? Is that a "good time" or what :jester:

I wouldn't be too sure of that. My wife is in NJ. She just sent me a message to let me know it's snowing :)

Ahh, but that's the east coast (where they usually are much better off of course!!!). Here in Minnesnowta, we've managed a totally different winter and are not expecting anything more severe than a light bout of just below zero overnights followed by some light rain mixed with snow "if we're lucky"... we're NOT living up to our reputation, and it's making my usual reports of startling weather variations seem pitiful <sigh> we're almost temperate here!! :O Even the lakes are starting to lose most of their ice cover, whatever next, flower starting to emerge???

I only needed a light jacket to venture out yesterday, that's NOT what mid-March in Minnesota is supposed to be about, we're still supposed to be freezing our arses off :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Aston? I think Sherry used to have a family connection there....

She mentioned it when I had to collect Aditi from the Aston Business School last year. I noted how nice the reception staff were there. I had asked if I could wait in the foyer but they sent me down to a nice lounge with coffee facilities. I had been over earlier in the day in one of the buildings that form part of John's. Nice loos! Edited by Tony_S

No eclipse here, due to being too far around the corner of the planet. And it was cloudy anyway.

Long tiring but not unsuccessful week, not helped by a low-level lurgy which stole some IQ points in the middle. Modelling highlight... found a "James the Red 2-6-0 Engine" for a fiver as a "non-runner" and got it running again. Will keep it for the little one when he's old enough to demand his own "real" model train.

• Like 3

Hi Ian,

We've had hardly any snow here (N. Idaho) too, and it's been quite mild.

There seems to be a common misconception by some people in the UK (OK, OK, I said "some") that we live in the frozen northern wastelands. I'm less that 100 miles south of the border with Canada, but I'm at the same latitude as Zurich!

• RMweb Gold

No eclipse here, due to being too far around the corner of the planet. And it was cloudy anyway.

Long tiring but not unsuccessful week, not helped by a low-level lurgy which stole some IQ points in the middle. Modelling highlight... found a "James the Red 2-6-0 Engine" for a fiver as a "non-runner" and got it running again. Will keep it for the little one when he's old enough to demand his own "real" model train.

We never had the James model but we did have Thomas and Percy . I must find Thomas and put a decoder in. I'm sure my niece must be ready for Thomas. One minute you are playing trains and it then it seems like no time before you are discussing how they are going to fund what could be another 5 years of education!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all,

Having been lurking here for sometime and seeing that I get mentioned in despatches from time-to-time thought it about time I said hello.

In view of the fact that we are travelling out to Brussels on Eurostar on Tuesday  and will be enjoying the comfort and gourmet breakfast catering provided (not) in Standard Premier by Eurostar Bill can be assured that sock inspection will be carried out before check-in - we have standards to maintain!!!!

The chat about flying reminds me of my first flight which was in 1968 by Cathay Pacific on a Convair 880 from Hong Kong to Manila on my way to catch a boat to take me to Saigon. First departure from Saigon a year later was on Cathay Pacific to Bangkok which was interesting - because of Vietcong activity in the countryside the plane was held on the brakes at the end of the runway whilst the engines were throttled up, once throttled up and the plane shaking, brakes were released and off we hurtled. Landing back at Saigon on a Thai Caravelle was just as interesting - descent was left to the last moment followed by a sudden steep descent onto the runway.

.... and, in case anyone is wondering, how I got to Hong Kong in the first place it was by sailing on the P&O Chitral in August 1966 to start a working career in Asia which ended in Tokyo in December 1998.

Keith

Hi Keith!  :drink_mini:

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a common misconception by some people in the UK (OK, OK, I said "some") that we live in the frozen northern wastelands. I'm less that 100 miles south of the border with Canada, but I'm at the same latitude as Zurich!

Does Zurich have a potato museum though?

Lots of grey clouds this morning but it did get very dark.

For a change, I managed the E part of POETS. Got home, sat down and woke up 90 minutes later. (What a waste)

Andrew - You have my sympathy about the knee. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Stewart - I don't know how you remain relatively calm about being turned away after so much waiting.

The best health system that I've experienced during my travels is the German one. Maybe I should move there before anything serious goes wrong.

When it comes to worst flights, the ones that worried me the most weren't in fixed wing aircraft but military helicopters tree hopping (both RAF & AAC)

• RMweb Premium

Just sat waiting at hotel for our afternoon tour bus for a trip aroung Lima. Outside is a very humid 27 deg C.

An idle thought for DD's zoo. Get some horses and do some "modelling" with black and white paint............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just sat waiting at hotel for our afternoon tour bus for a trip aroung Lima. Outside is a very humid 27 deg C.

An idle thought for DD's zoo. Get some horses and do some "modelling" with black and white paint............

Cheers,

Mick

And you can make a unicorn as well. :jester:

John (CB), is it your Uni they are recording "Any Questions" at tonight? Are you going?

Ed

No, it's Aston. We're not going. Been to one Any Q in 1985 when it came to our town just prior to the Battle of Bosworth celebrations when John Timpson was chairman.

• Like 2