The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Langley: Lions, Leopards, Tigers & Panthers:

attachicon.gifBBB.jpg

(I can see a Dalmation but can't identify the others).

I think some of them look like mammals that have been long extinct. Preiser do 1/87 zoo and circus animals but they might look small next to your 1/76 models.

Thanks, Tony - I'll have a look.

I've always liked Preiser but they always seem to be very delicate even allowing for scale difference.

Edit: Now looked at Preiser and the quality is outstandingly better.

However, as you say, Tony - the difference in scale might be significant.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Tony - I'll have a look.

I've always liked Preiser but they always seem to be very delicate even allowing for scale difference.

Edit: Now looked at Preiser and the quality is outstandingly better.

However, as you say, Tony - the difference in scale might be significant.

You could model some highly detailed shrubbery and say the animals were very shy. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the good wishes once again. The knee has actually settled down somewhat today. Quack on Monday and hopefully a quick turn around on getting the MRI done. The shooting pain comes and goes fairly quickly which led the nurse yesterday to consider it may be a trapped nerve in addition to or instead of ligament damage. I do know that after she examined it yesterday and had me push up and down with it, I can for the first time in 3 weeks actually straighten my leg completely.

Hope to get some sit down modelling done this weekend. Perhaps I should look into the giant killer penguins as a module feature.

• RMweb Premium

After two years of looking, the only scale animals I've found are: Giraffe, Hippo, Rhino, Camel, Elephant.

I'd be interested in seeing what a 00 scale meerkat might look like.

Don't say, like a real meerkat, but way smaller.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see some great shots of the eclipse on here.  Thanks for posting.

Here's a couple from our attempts.

Ray held his pinhole camera while I made attempts to get something on the iphone.  This was the best of the last ones I took before the clouds swept in.  The iphone was a few inches away but I still had to zoom in on the image.

post-14049-0-16851200-1426853269.jpg

Time 09 11 39

As I sorted the photos out, I noticed a shiny speck in this one - as you might expect on an ivy covered wall!

post-14049-0-19192200-1426850387.jpg

But it was no ivy leaf this time.  Somehow, it seems the camera has picked up a reflection of the eclipse as the image is reversed and captured it in the photo.  Amazing!  A big grin just about sums up my delight.  :D

So, another zoomed in shot.

post-14049-0-40254400-1426850309.jpg

Adjusting brightness and contrast brings out the red glow around the eclipse image which is just apparent in the previous pic.

post-14049-0-51556400-1426852181.jpg

If anyone knows if this glow is an astronomical phenomenon or a photographic one, I'd be delighted to know.  :scratchhead: 

Of course, it could just be Lunar "Red Eye."  :mosking:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

If anyone knows if this glow is an astronomical phenomenon or a photographic one, I'd be delighted to know.  :scratchhead:

Of course, it could just be Lunar "Red Eye."  :mosking:

I compared your photo against descriptions of such related phenomena as shadow bands or refractory effects. I'm not completely sure, but it could have had to do with refracted light.

The eclipse wasn't that spectacular out here, but as I wrote earlier, the light did acquire a noticeable leaden tinge and bore some resemblance to early dusk. Luckily, we have cloudless blue sky today!

dsc098122xr84.jpg

This was taken roughly half an hour before the estimated maximum at 10.44 am. The car is 1147 "Johann Christoph Gottsched" in the Thekla loop at the northern end of Line 9. Engineering works are currently in progress near the terminus.

dsc09821f6ow3.jpg

I then rode out to Miltitz on this pair of 1328 "Lausen" and 1304 "Stahmeln", seen here at the far side of the loop.

dsc09823s5o8h.jpg

I disembarked at the Lindenau bus depot (off image to the right, perimeter marked by the metal fence) and caught 1122 "Karl Heine" on Line 8 to Grünau-Nord…

dsc09824y2ppt.jpg

…followed by 1230 "Bochum" on Line 15…

dsc09825b7qw8.jpg

…and 1141 "Friedrich Nietzsche", emerging from the railway underpass like the Übermensch.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I have sorted out the socks into matching pairs - there is no way that Tetsodofan would go on holiday with someone wearing odd socks. 

Bill

Good afternoon all,

Having been lurking here for sometime and seeing that I get mentioned in despatches from time-to-time thought it about time I said hello.

In view of the fact that we are travelling out to Brussels on Eurostar on Tuesday  and will be enjoying the comfort and gourmet breakfast catering provided (not) in Standard Premier by Eurostar Bill can be assured that sock inspection will be carried out before check-in - we have standards to maintain!!!!

The chat about flying reminds me of my first flight which was in 1968 by Cathay Pacific on a Convair 880 from Hong Kong to Manila on my way to catch a boat to take me to Saigon. First departure from Saigon a year later was on Cathay Pacific to Bangkok which was interesting - because of Vietcong activity in the countryside the plane was held on the brakes at the end of the runway whilst the engines were throttled up, once throttled up and the plane shaking, brakes were released and off we hurtled. Landing back at Saigon on a Thai Caravelle was just as interesting - descent was left to the last moment followed by a sudden steep descent onto the runway.

.... and, in case anyone is wondering, how I got to Hong Kong in the first place it was by sailing on the P&O Chitral in August 1966 to start a working career in Asia which ended in Tokyo in December 1998.

Keith

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of flying, I well remember the return from our very first vacation we flew to – Lanzarote, 1993, on a Condor 767. Tail winds over the Eastern Atlantic propelled us to about 1,050 kph IAS. Cue giddiness all over my face…

• Like 4

GIANT KILLER PENGUINS!!

AHH! I think if you are going fo the Giant Killer Penguins you'll need to look on Ebay for some of the Britains series in 1:32 scale

EDIT - a quick search found these - will they do?

post-6688-0-05630800-1426861150.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 9

Bill, Keith. We long ago gave up on the "fayre" provided by Eurostar. If you have the time there are several decent cafes in the square on the west side of Brussel Midi/Zuid. A much better option. Also within a 3 min walk back to the Thalys platforms.

• Like 1

AHH! Ithink if you are going fo the Giant Killer Penguins you'll need to look on Ebay for some of the Britains series in 1:32 scale

There was a brilliant layout set in Cornwall and very cleverly called Pengwynn Crossing (IIRC) which had a number of penguins strategically (sp?) placed. I don't think they ever killed anyone though.

Ed

Keith - welcome to ER...

Ian and Sherry, wishing you all the best and thinking of the two of you. A short delay is worth it to sort out the problems.

On a side note, can't most of the folks get relief from their bookings as it's reasonable "notice"? Most places over here you can cancel sometimes even up to the day before and not be charged for your room?? Not that I'd have a problem given the circumstances, but I guess some folks have different priorities and sympathies, pity <sigh>

Well, I got up to take a pee (sorry Ian) about the time of the eclipse, looked out and it was very dark, quite impressive.... then I remembered, it's not happening here and it was the middle of the night anyway  :jester:  :jester:

POETS day, looms large, well about as large as usual, and no major reports to provide fodder for the day - yesterday was a pedestrian work day and today expected to be the same.

+1 right now and overcast, we're totally devoid of snow, probably for the season now, and expecting 14 for the high with a cooler weekend forecast and possibly some light rain.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2