The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Looks like the boring borough had the same eclipse as the Thames Valley - something of a murky non-event, but we are of course promised sunshine later.

Have a  good day one & all - I wonder whose getting negative on RMweb today as I learnt yesterday that one of the c*ckwombles has been having a spat, seems he got upset because someone else knew more than he did.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Happy Eclipse Day.

Sunny here so will report back on the event later.

Enjoy if you're watching it.

Guess what?

It clouded over....  8)

But not before getting a few early pinhole camera images and some good reflections in the windows as it passed away.

At least we had something and it brought the neighbours out.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 5

Morning all,

Haven't had time to catch up yet this morning but I'm currently 'gutted of Clacton', having geared myself up for the eclipse with viewing glasses, filter on camera and a reflector to view it - all I got was clouds with added sea mist for good measure! Luckily the BBC 'Stargazing Live' team of Brian Cox and Dara Ó Briain made it more exciting, having a plane above the clouds to film the totality. The 'diamond ring' effect is breathtaking as the Moon begins to clear the Sun in its transit. I didn't bother with photos as I would only have got the same image as Andrew. Sobering thought that I almost certainly won't be around to see another one! I will of course be glued to the TV again tonight for the third of the 'Stargazing' programmes!

Mug of tea now to warm up and trawl through this morning's posts.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Well that was a bit of a non-event. The day started gloomy, got gloomier and then less gloomy.

Sorry to learn about Ian's problem; hopefully the medics can sort it out so he and Sherry can re-schedule their big day.

Sorting stuff beckons.

Have a good World Happiness Day, whatever your default mode.

Pete

Fantastic effort John, I went to the trouble of getting a filter which Joanna said will probably languish in the bottom of the camera bag unused, and as usual she wasn't wrong!

Thank you, they are just the sort of images I envisaged.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Comment rom a teacher friend on Facebook:

Highlight of eclipse: girl in my class who asked with a very worried face, 'SIR, WILL THE MOON MELT?'

Her name? Luna. 
I put on a grave face and nodded apocalyptically.

• RMweb Gold

It went gloomy to gloomier here. Birdsong did stop though and a couple of pigeons stopped chasing each other and settled down to roost on the neighbour's trampoline (one of those big enough to be visible from space!). Robbie did his meet and greet to the bank manager who fortunately likes dogs!

Now just the dentist visit to look forward to!

• RMweb Premium

The eclipse was a non-event here in Estuary-Land due to the cloud cover. Tony was saying a couple of days ago that he had got the date of the Alley Pally exhibition mixed up thinking it was this weekend. Well there is a local exhibition this weekend at Hornchurch, but not a model railway one http://www.southernexpo.co.uk

I have visited it in the past, and spent a fair amount of money with the traders there, those selling tools and paints are almost guaranteed to be there. I like to 'look over the fence' to see what other modelling genres are up to so I intend to go there tomorrow. The only drawback with the venue is very little car parking so its better to use public transport, personally I catch the train to Upminster the 'twirly' it to the venue.

• Like 3

Call from the patient - being discharged to a nursing home, ten minutes from my home. I have the suitcase, so straight off to hospital. Then up to London to by a case for next week!

Best wishes to Ian & Sherry.

Bill

• Like 4

I like to 'look over the fence' to see what other modelling genres are up to 

I always think what a shame it is that there isn't more of a 'crossover' in manufacturers' offerings.

So many little toy cars - wrong scale, so many model soldiers - wrong scale, and so on.

I'm having problems populating an 00 zoo.

After two years of looking, the only scale animals I've found are: Giraffe, Hippo, Rhino, Camel, Elephant.

It got very gloomy over St Paul's - which if I sit forwarded at my desk, I can see through the window.

Spreadsheet King had been most concerned over power failure due to solar panels not working for a couple of minutes; he'd read it on the BBC. What are we to do with today's science grads? We enjoyed predicting the total failure of the underground now he comes in on the Met.

Have a  good day one & all - I wonder whose getting negative on RMweb today as I learnt yesterday that one of the c*ckwombles has been having a spat, seems he got upset because someone else knew more than he did.

it's funny - one of the reasons I spend time on RMWeb is because there are people, lots of them, who know more than me. That's how I learn things. And then I bore people with what I have learned share what I have learned with others

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I always think what a shame it is that there isn't more of a 'crossover' in manufacturers' offerings.

So many little toy cars - wrong scale, so many model soldiers - wrong scale, and so on.

After two years of looking, the only scale animals I've found are: Giraffe, Hippo, Rhino, Camel, Elephant.

DD - Airfix did two different packs of zoo animals back in the last century.  While I have never seen any come up at auction that doesn't mean they might not be about if you look far enough and hard enough but rarity will no doubt affect the price (in the wrong direction alas).

Morning all from Scottish HQ.  The clouds covered over the eclipse just nicely so that it was visible but not blinding.  We did have a pinhole camera set up on the roof too. Calton Hill was swarming with people.

Best wishes to Ian and Sherry - hope they can get you fixed soonest.  (When I say fixed, I don't mean like the way you'd "fix" a dog or a cat, of course...!)

• Like 6

DD - Airfix did two different packs of zoo animals back in the last century.  While I have never seen any come up at auction that doesn't mean they might not be about if you look far enough and hard enough but rarity will no doubt affect the price (in the wrong direction alas).

Thanks, Mike.

I'll investigate but no luck so far.

Lions, leopards, tigers and panthers, camels, bears, crocodiles, ostrich, bison, penguins, llamas, chimps and vultures are available from Langley: http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/shop/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2elangleymodels%2eco%2euk%2fshop%2fss000001%2epl%3fpage%3dsearch%26PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA%26SS%3dzoo%26ACTION%3dquick%20search&WD=lion&PN=Online_Catalogue_OO_Zoo_Animals__enclosures_and_Circus__43%2ehtml%23aZ07#aZ07

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

I've used them before - undercoat with primer then paint with enamels.  They come up quite well.  They also do a pack with pheasants, badger, fox etc.

I think Preiser (or Noch?) do plastic figures of deer and reindeer (and possibly bears?) - I think I have a pack of half a dozen deer.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

First of all thanks very much for all the warm thoughts. As Jock said, the ability of ERs to be supportive is very heartening - and I'm getting more than my share of that support over the years!

The eclipse was a non-event here, too. Just as Smiffy said, the gloom got gloomier, but now there is a bit more brightness, and sun is forecast. A biting north-easterly made the 10-minute walk to Sheena's for coffee a bit bracing.

As you might expect, our guests have been very understanding - in most cases. Curiously, the one we have both known the longest, Sherry's classmate Liz, who I had known even longer, was the only one who led with thoughts about their hotel cancellation etc. Since she and second hubby have a very nice extended house outside Southampton the value of money is obviously uppermost.... Others who scarcely have two pennies to rub together have been quite different, majoring on my health issue. People will be people.

But the best response to Sherry's phonecalls has to be the Registrar's office. Not only is our "down-payment" valid for a year, i.e. December 2015, but the lady wished me well and speedy recovery. A civil servant who is much more than merely civil!

Really sorry about Andrew C's knee. I smashed my kneecap in 1992, and the recovery was a bit slow, but it happened. This sounds a heap nastier.

Sorry Stewart has been the victim of another's misfortune. Hard to take on the day - or at least it would be for me!

Hope everyone's week is winding down as required.

• Like 2

Morning all,

Managed to read through to date and there certainly is a mixture! There I am worrying about missing an eclipse, only to discover that poor Stewart, having psyched himself up for his op, was turned away at the last minute! Then we have Andrew with the pain he must be enduring, added to the drama that Ian and Sherry are facing - kind of puts things in perspective. An interesting change at our General Hospital in Colchester has been that they keep separate capacity from elective surgery, for emergency admissions. That said it didn't work perfectly in my case as the surgeon who was about to operate on me was the only one capable of performing an emergency procedure on a very sick child who was admitted that morning, so my operation was performed over four hours later than scheduled but at least it was done! Hopefully it will be a case of 'better luck next time' for Stewart. I had both my knees done by keyhole surgery (damaged principally due to sporting activity) around thirty years ago and apart from the occasional loud 'click' or ache, they've been fine since. Hopefully yours will be sorted soon Andrew as it's almost impossible to do anything in that condition, even sleep!

At least Mick(NB) seems to be enjoying his trip to Peru - happy anniversary to you and Mrs NB by the way, that was a nice touch by the airline. Wonder if they'll put labels on you when they send you back? (Paddington?)

Jamie, very best of luck with 'Lancaster Green Ayre' at the Nottingham show, I hope everything runs smoothly and that you have a safe and uneventful journey.

AndyiD's mention of his short channel hop reminded me of a flight I had in student days. Mum and dad paid for me to stay in Paris all one summer holiday break (think I might have mentioned this before!) and a 'student' flight was duly booked. I hadn't realised at that point that most of the journey (called a flight on the tickets!) would be aboard a coach. Dad dropped me at Victoria and from there I went all the way to Lympne on the coast in Kent, where the turbo prop plane took to the air by flying off the top of a hill, spent a few minutes in the air, and touched down at Beauvais (where the R101 crashed!), over fifty miles north of Paris. It was then coach to destination! Some flight, but as has been said before, you get what you pay for!

Hope POETS day passes without any more bad news from our digital friends,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 12

A very early rise this morning at 4.30 to take Gabe (Mrs PO) to the airport.

A bright morning here - the weather forecast last night wasn't that great so daughter and I went partway up the nor'east side of Arthur's Seat. Loved Killybegs shots, mine pale, but here are a couple:

Schoolchildren from Holyrood High allowed into the playground to see the eclipse; the light cloud cover let us see what was going on, great.

post-4951-0-51165300-1426852937_thumb.jpgpost-4951-0-40395500-1426852968_thumb.jpg

Thinking of you Ian & Sherry

Mal

• Like 16