The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

And you will love it!! Beware she can still fit in that one piece leather jump suit to.

Crossed wires? Mind you, I'd love to see Suzi lining up with the Quo.

Maybe Tassie was referring to Burton Agnes wearing the jump suit! ;-)

Shortly after we arrived at Euston, all hell broke loose. Policemen were running all over the place. The date was December 17th, and Harrods had just been bombed.

Probably just as well you didnt shop there. The kids would probably have wanted to try the caviar! ;-)

Pleased to see that Gordon's venture into the shadow world of secondhand pond equipment trading appeared moderately successful.

Lots of obstacles to overcome:

The esoteric nature of the items (how many folk were looking for such things?) and the requirement to collect were huge obstacles.

Have arranged to drive to Belgium in a couple of weeks for a meeting.

Seems 7 hour delays at the Ferries are expected due to 'security'.

in 1982 we moved from Paisley to Mesa, Arizona with three children ages 5, 3 and 2. (I was working for ITT in Tempe). We decided to return to Paisley for Christmas 1983 so the grandparents could see the kids.

We were flying AA, Phoenix - Dallas - Gatwick. Unfortunately, the Phoenix - Dallas flight was delayed and we missed the connection to Gatwick. A very nice man at the AA desk put all five of us in FIRST on the next flight! I was telling the kids to eat that caviar stuff because they might never get it again, but they only wanted hamburgers.

We took the train up to London to catch a train from Euston to Glasgow Central and we were crossing London in a cab. We were going to have a bit of a wait at Euston, so I said to my wife "Look, that's Knightsbridge! Why don't we stop off at Harrods at pick up some things for the parents?" She thought about it for a minute but decided the children were too tired after the long flight, so we decided to relax at Euston and get something to eat.

Shortly after we arrived at Euston, all hell broke loose. Policemen were running all over the place. The date was December 17th, and Harrods had just been bombed.

WOW, you were lucky on two counts Andy because everyone knows that everything 'costs a bomb' in Harrods!! Seriously, the great escape or what?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see that Gordon's venture into the shadow world of secondhand pond equipment trading appeared moderately successful.

Lots of obstacles to overcome:

The esoteric nature of the items (how many folk were looking for such things?) and the requirement to collect were huge obstacles.

Have arranged to drive to Belgium in a couple of weeks for a meeting.

Seems 7 hour delays at the Ferries are expected due to 'security'.

This would be the new enhanced exit passport checks? I read that delays are expected. We are going to France by train in April. Our passports survived getting very severe glares from Russian passport control last summer so hopefully we will survive the exit protocols which I believe are to check that UK citizens are not leaving for nefarious purpose (hiding Swiss bank accounts, going to Syria etc). Matthew's passport has a photo of him taken when he was a chubby 16 year old with hair. So hopefully he will be able convince the exit test that he is flying to the Balkans for an education conference.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Still thinking of a suitably catchy headline for this morning's photos, so perhaps rather than depriving you of the photos, I should put the headline thing on the back burner for the moment…

First leg of my round was to the terminus of Line 1 at Lausen, travelling through tue boroughs of Schleußig, along the border of Plagwitz and Kleinzschocher, and through the "Plattenbau" parts of Grünau.

dsc09791u1ucp.jpg

On weekdays, every second turn of Line 1 goes to the Volbedingstraße loop in the Schönefeld borough, signed as Line 1E, while the rest proceed to Mockau as Line 1. As the Mockau branch is also served by Line 9 to and from Thekla, interval frequency is still sufficient on that section. Here, 2101 and company are ready for the next up turn to Mockau.

dsc09793ysuoy.jpg

The Lausen loop also serves as a stabling point for tram and PW stock, and thus is fenced in and under CCTV surveillance.

dsc09794ucuy7.jpg

My ride for the next leg would be 2140 and company on a Line 1E turn to Schönefeld.

Along the way, I hopped off and had a look at the major construction site across the railway line south of Plagwitz Station. I understand the Antonien Bridges had to be demolished and are to be rebuilt, so the tram tracks had to be provisionally relaid across the temporary bridge, yielding a rather serpentine path!

dsc09795ceu4l.jpg

dsc09796zduu8.jpg

Halfway across the temporary bridge, the line merges down to one track on the western approach. Note the catenary-mounted signals and associated route request switches which tell the automated routing system to prioritise any tram travelling west and not allow any trams going the opposite way into the single-track section.

Generally, route setting on German tram systems is provided by induction-based transmission with onboard and ground transceiver units, the latter most commonly being located inside the running rails. Each car (or formation) is assigned a specific turn number similar in function to a train reporting number, which is transmitted any time the car passes a set of route setting transceivers. Each turn number is assigned a specific route, so that all points are set automatically to direct the car to its destination. It is, of course, possible to override the default route when detours are necessary. Common alternate routes are usually provided, and in addition, drivers may also use a set of route setting buttons provided on the instrument panel. Finally, points can usually be reset manually using a lever carried in the cab of each car if the electronic systems should fail.

dsc097974xu40.jpg

The project information board, which in cases of public engineering projects are, to my knowledge, mandated by law.

dsc09798veu15.jpg

Looking towards Plagwitz Station…

dsc09799g1uiy.jpg

…and south.

dsc09800x3u6w.jpg

Doesn't qualify as a real portrait, I know, but I liked the view of this Line 1 service headed by 2108 snaking its way through the maze.

dsc09804r2u8p.jpg

Telephoto capture of 1142 "Ulrich von Hutten" on Line 2 to Naunhofer Straße. For the duration of this construction project, Line 2 operates on a 20-minute minimum interval to relieve route congestion.

dsc098054zuh2.jpg

Another reason for the extended minimum interval is that public engineering works are also in progress on Könneritzstraße, requiring an extended single track section as the water piping is renewed.

dsc09806kqupj.jpg

2111 and company creep through the single track section…

dsc0980772uad.jpg

…as is 1119 "Kaiser Friedrich III." which is, technically, in wrong line operation.

But the Day of Detours (there's a headline I could use!) did not end just yet. Due to an abandoned building in imminent danger of collapse along Georg-Schumann-Straße, Line 10 was rerouted to the Line 4 terminus at Landsberger Straße in Gohlis, and Line 11 proceeded as Line 16 to the Trade Fair Centre,

dsc09808ymu0t.jpg

1154 "August Bebel" is seen here on a rerouted Line 10 turn, calling at Coppiplatz (near which, I should add, we actually reside).

dsc09810yau1y.jpg

1124 "Marianne von Ziegler" rolls through the Landsberger Straße loop, which every few minutes was filling up with Line 4 and Line 10 cars…

dsc09811nouem.jpg

…and back onto the road for its next Line 10 turn to Lößnig.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

This would be the new enhanced exit passport checks? I read that delays are expected. We are going to France by train in April. Our passports survived getting very severe glares from Russian passport control last summer so hopefully we will survive the exit protocols which I believe are to check that UK citizens are not leaving for nefarious purpose (hiding Swiss bank accounts, going to Syria etc). Matthew's passport has a photo of him taken when he was a chubby 16 year old with hair. So hopefully he will be able convince the exit test that he is flying to the Balkans for an education conference.

Tony

Tony, tell Matthew to get the photo updated.  I believe that in these circumstances it's free rather than the usual £80.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Tony, tell Matthew to gdt the phot updated.  I believe that in these circumstnces it's free rather than the usual £80.

Jamie

I shall suggest this to him. However,he seems to travel so frequently it would be interesting to know how long his passport would take to process.

• RMweb Gold

Mike (Stationmaster) mentioned Polish internal flight. Matthew flew to Warsaw and made the trip to Bialystok by bus. He thought as he could book it online it sounded fairly organised. The Polish students he met thought he was crazy for risking it. He said it was fine though overtaking seemed to be scarier than he was accustomed to.

• Like 2

Ah, the flying reminiscences. It's all been downhill since flying in a Viscount and practically being able to sit in the cabin window for an all around the side view (I was three and a half) and as for the slow vibromassage across the North Sea by Southend Air Ferries, that was just thrilling, because they couldn't get any altitude you got to see all the shipping. Those were the days when small boys routinely got a trip to the cockpit, and you could see for yourself just how worn out and tatty the control equipment looked. (Dad was employed by De Havs at the time and they had concessionary rate agreements with some operators.)

All time favourite flying experience in adult life. The booked 737 failed, and the flight was instead operated using a DC6. As this was from upstate New York in the winter season the clammy cold that persisted in the cabin for almost the whole flight to Logan may be imagined. Last time I ever flew in a heavy piston prop aircraft. Really gave me some appreciation of what had been achieved before gas turbine flight, all the way back to folks like Alcock and Brown freezing their arses off in a wood and cloth boxkite with a couple of engines hung on it, and somehow getting across the Atlantic. Now, there's a centenary drawing near...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 7

Afternoon all,

Interesting how certain discussions on here set the mind racing - Baz's comment on the hump at Leeds/Bradford took me back to a Club Med holiday in Martinique. There was no direct flight from the UK so we had to get to Paris CDG to join an 'Aero Maritime' (subsidiary of Air France) Jumbo - the runway in Martinique certainly wasn't designed for Jumbos. Although it is long enough, the plane has to be 'slapped' down on an uphill slope, followed soon after by breasting the crown of the hill, when full reverse thrust and braking are applied. A very strange set of forces on the body as you get a touch of weightlessness over the rise, followed by the G-force of retardation. Joanna found it interesting in as much as her fingerprints took several hours to disappear from my arm where she had gripped it so tightly!

As an engineer, flight fascinates me and I'm never frightened by it - we did have an interesting experience in the Maldives however, booking an island hopping flight from the resort. We went by boat to the capital Malé, where we boarded an ancient Ilyushin helicopter (think I've mentioned this before?) which still had evidence of camouflage paint on it which would suggest ex-Afghan campaign. I noticed that the fuselage panels flexed in flight and a lot of the rivets were rotating in their holes, that, along with streaks of oil from the engine nacelle was quite worrying. Needless to say, I didn't mention any of it to Joanna and the view turned out to be worth the risk!

Gordon, loved the video, reminded me of a trip to St Maxime with a few college pals many moons ago. Camping de la plage, when a German family arrived nearby with what we dubbed a 'Tardis trailer' which they proceeded to unfold into a reasonable sized caravan. The one in your vid was very high-tec by comparison! By the way, no one has yet commented on the video that showed two below your one on the 'You Tube' list - a very 'interesting' one on long jump!!

PhilJ W, do you think Florence really did that?

Flávio, an eclectic musical taste not unlike my own. Although classical is my outright favourite, you'll find Floyd, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Fairport Convention and all sorts of others in my collection - a lot of these influences coming from student days!

DD, are the tunnel checks just as time consuming?

Mick (newbryford), if you're looking in, hope the rest of the trip goes without a hitch.

Enjoy what is left of Thursday and with a wish for better health for all those who are ailing,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I noticed the Negativity thread has been visited by a number of ERs. I had intended to post a link to my cheery squirrel photo on my Wordpress blog but couldn't remember the URL. By the time I did there were lots of sparkly kittens so no intervention was needed.

• Like 11

BIN day today.

Around lunch time we're (me and Bob, and Jemma if she can make it, she's on reserve today - 2-hour on-call) are off to visit the young lady my wife works with.

It's her birthday this week, actually Tuesday, and Bob was found as a stray outside their house, they couldn't keep a cat (allergies) so that's why he's ours! He's her adopted pet so he visits a few times a year, much to the enjoyment of all - except the car ride portion for Bob, who isn't exactly happy in the car, so spend a lot of time making pretty load and awful noises <sigh>

Far as air travel goes, as previously stated in ER, absolute BEST was the three Atlantic crossings I made on Concorde, I've done First class on several carriers and they didn't even come close to that experience!

Most "cost effective" Laker Skytrain which I availed myself of countless times as it was easy to do last-minute, but did result in you meeting a very large percentage of the "great unwashed" population. Worst, hope I don't offend anyone, but Air India Heathrow to New York after a BA plane went mechanical and many of us (business class) were loaded onto the Air India 747 - it was dreadful and even had overflowing toilet in one section <eeewww> I'd rather walk next time!!

Most impressive "regular/economy" flight was my first ever jet flight in a BOAC VC10 Heathrow to Los Angeles via Kennedy. Was 1969 and that was the time to travel by air. Everyone was treated as if you were first class, great meals, comfortable seats with plenty of room and excellent personal service. Every passenger was polite and respectful - WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!?!?!

Choir practice tonight with the requisite pre-practice happy hour in a local watering hole :drink_mini:

Bon chance mes ami... (hopefully that's correct, my French is very rusty to now non-existent!!) :jester:

• Like 14

BIN day today.

Around lunch time we're (me and Bob, and Jemma if she can make it, she's on reserve today - 2-hour on-call) are off to visit the young lady my wife works with.

It's her birthday this week, actually Tuesday, and Bob was found as a stray outside their house, they couldn't keep a cat (allergies) so that's why he's ours! He's her adopted pet so he visits a few times a year, much to the enjoyment of all - except the car ride portion for Bob, who isn't exactly happy in the car, so spend a lot of time making pretty load and awful noises <sigh>

Far as air travel goes, as previously stated in ER, absolute BEST was the three Atlantic crossings I made on Concorde, I've done First class on several carriers and they didn't even come close to that experience!

Most "cost effective" Laker Skytrain which I availed myself of countless times as it was easy to do last-minute, but did result in you meeting a very large percentage of the "great unwashed" population. Worst, hope I don't offend anyone, but Air India Heathrow to New York after a BA plane went mechanical and many of us (business class) were loaded onto the Air India 747 - it was dreadful and even had overflowing toilet in one section <eeewww> I'd rather walk next time!!

Most impressive "regular/economy" flight was my first ever jet flight in a BOAC VC10 Heathrow to Los Angeles via Kennedy. Was 1969 and that was the time to travel by air. Everyone was treated as if you were first class, great meals, comfortable seats with plenty of room and excellent personal service. Every passenger was polite and respectful - WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!?!?!

Choir practice tonight with the requisite pre-practice happy hour in a local watering hole :drink_mini:

Bon chance mes ami... (hopefully that's correct, my French is very rusty to now non-existent!!) :jester:

You should try Pakistan International Airways. It gets really exciting when passengers fire up their primus stoves to cook lunch. No, I am not joking, having seen it for myself on a trip from Nairobi to Abu Dhabi (our flight had been cancelled). This was alleged to be the cause of a fire on a Saudia

flight into Riyadh. The plane burnt out at the far end of the runway with everyone still on board. It was this disaster that lead to the design of doors that are now common to all aircraft. On this occasion the crew could not open the doors because of the press of people against them.

• RMweb Gold

Many many years ago Aditi's father had to return to India to sort out some family problem. At the time the cheapest flight was with Aeroflot via Moscow. The short stopover turned into three days of sitting in an airport in winter. Not fun. The next saver fare to India involved Aditi and her sister flying to Delhi on Middle Eastern Airlines. This stopped everywhere to fill up with fuel and Passengers were given vouchers to get refreshments so a 12 year old and 11 year old were wandering round airports in Rome, Beirut and Tehran looking for Coca Cola. Next time Aditi and Punam flew to Delhi it was BOAC and they had an assigned stewardess!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Takes a deep breath. The wedding's off. No, we haven't fallen out, and indeed Sherry is showing her mettle as just the sort of person I need in a crisis, as was Deb. It's me, or at least my plumbing. It is three weeks since I saw the doc and he prescribed a drug to ease discomfort. Initially it worked wonderfully well, really making me feel more liberated than for quite some time, but in recent days it has lost its effect, and I am now struggling, having had several poor nights. So by April 10th I am sure I will be in a terrible state. I now have a consultation with a urologist next Friday, and he will tell me what he can do, once he's had a fresh scan, no doubt. So everything is postponed UFN. Sherry returns to the UK tomorrow night, but we are already advising guests, some of whom are not rich and will have wasted a hotel booking. They may not feel a couple of nights in Torquay would have been their first choice for a short break!

Hope all others have better news than this!

Evening all and regards and good wishes to Ian - I hope things get sorted soon.

Here in Derby I managed to get back from work a bit earlier than normal, although an early start was needed to balance things out. Sarah and Amber are not back until later so I can enjoy a little bit of peace and quiet. I even treated myself to a Chinese take away from the local shop. Sadly the short stroll proved that my ankle has still recovered from Tuesday. More pain as I jogged across the room! Looks like I will be missing football again on Sunday.

Work went well with no dramas. With head and deputy away I was technically holding the fort!

• Like 5