The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Got up rather later than planned this morning. Shutters on the windows made it very dark and quiet.

We took a walk past the Pope's place en route to a day wandering around a park the otherside of the river.

This ended up as a visit to a number of ancient sites and the Bio park which is a posh name for the zoo.

A couple of my cousins were resident, so we spent some time catching up.

Skipepsi would have liked the collection of snakes, although there was only a single venomous specimen, which was a rather fine Horned Viper.

Then we traipsed over to Rome Terminus station to get the Metro back to our apartment: We managed to do some food shopping as well, so we will not starve.

Got back to find an email from BT Business, and a working mobile phone once more, so all is well.

More culture tomorrow

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I for instance have always been really happy with my experience of British Airways but reading reviews would imply I am unusual. We flew Air Transat to Calgary and we were quite happy (especially considering how much cheaper it was, we even got fed).

• Like 6

Well, this post made my day re: Kernow reporting that Hornby will produce more 34001 Exeters probably by the end of the year -> http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92855-Hornby-exeter/page-28&do=findComment&comment=1822930

Not wanting to be mean spirited, but I hope those folks who purchased them with the intent of selling them on eBay for way over the odds, AND those who shelled out 250 quid plus for one, possible again to resell at a silly profit,  enjoy crying in their beer tonight! :jester:  :O  :butcher:

Me - I'll give anyone 50 quid to take one off their hands :sungum: 

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

Returned from Oncology Consultant with news that everything's progressing normally and the Urologist will see me in three months and she'll see me in six.

Things quite normal.

That's the kind of boring I like.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6

Nice... you have been spoiled flying upper class on those planes :jester....

Oh, indeed.

When I travelled a lot for business, the company I worked for sent me business class, not out of the goodness of their hearts, but to get maximum performance out of me at both ends of the flight. Out Sunday BSL-LHR-SFO, meetings Monday, back Monday night SFO-LHR-BSL and back in the office Tuesday midday was a regular trip for me. A trip that's bit hard to do going long haul economy! It may sound glamorous, but it is exhausting. And when Mrs iD travelled a lot for her work (also sent business class and for the same reasons), months could pass before we would both in in the same place at the same time (usually, but not always, at home). One memorable year, we spent the best part of autumn chasing each through Australasia: I left HK the morning of the day she arrived in HK, I left Sydney the day before she arrived.... And so on.

Mind you, it did make for a happy marriage (absence makes the heart grow fonder and so forth...) And we both accumulated a hell of a lot of air miles (even now, 8 years after stopping regular long-haul business trips, I still have enough air miles for a business class return to the US).

The best thing about a good Business class cabin? Seats that convert into flat beds. Keep the champagne, pass on the nosh, ignore the in-flight entertainment, all I want is the seat/bed and a good book.

And speaking of flat beds, it's time for mine.

Good Night All

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt want to do long haul for work in any class on a regular basis. My brother did have to do so for some years  from HK to the USA but he never really had time to see any of the sights so depsite all his travelling I have seen more of those USA cities that he did.

Sleep well.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I and my lovely wife went to a Suzi Q concert here a couple of weeks ago, her last Australian tour and I believe her last gig. Fantastic, we've never seen so many people over the age of fifty at a true rock & roll concert and she is 69. What an age to hung up your boots and "Can The Can" Two and half hours on stage. Thanks Trisonic for showing, "There an't no age for rock'n'roll". Tex

I went to a Status Quo concert with my nephew about 5 years ago - one of their many "farewell" tours.......

When we were planning to go, my nephew (then 18) said "Won't I be a bit young for it?" My reply was "Don't worry - I'm too young also " (I was 48 at the time).

I'd never seen groupies with zimmer frames until then.

I used to regularly travel AA for work. Usually outbound on a Wednesday to the US, returning Friday/Saturday two days later. I did develop a routine for reducing jetlag on the return that involved AA's free alcohol....... "Do you want breakfast sir?" "Only if I'm awake (and sober) please".

The killer trip however was outbound Wednesday to upstate New York, returning Saturday. Into the office on Monday to be greeted by "You're off to Oregon on Wenesday". The second trip coincided with the arrival of my gold frequent flyer card and upgrades all round!

Off to bed (maybe) for a few hours for a stupidly very early ER at 0300 in readiness for an 18 hour journey with KLM........... not work though.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

I went to a Status Quo concert with my nephew about 5 years ago - one of their many "farewell" tours.......

When we were planning to go, my nephew (then 18) said "Won't I be a bit young for it?" My reply was "Don't worry - I'm too young also " (I was 48 at the time).

I'd never seen groupies with zimmer frames until then.

Off to bed (maybe) for a few hours for a stupidly very early ER at 0300 in readiness for an 18 hour journey with KLM...........

Cheers,

Mick

I shall be at a Quo concert in May in a field in Burton Agnes just south of Driffield East Yorks. and I'm 71!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all (well a late one)

I have only done one trip with Ryanair - it was a convenient way of getting to somewhere handy in Germany for my destination that night and had the peculiar 'advantage' of going to somewhere O'leary talk called 'Hamburg' but in the detail called it 'Hamburg-Lubeck'  Its actual location  - on a Lubeck local 'bus route - gave it the superb advantage of not having to take the Ryanair 'connecting coach service to Hamburg for some atrocious cost but got me onto a local 'bus into Lubeck and direct to the main station for less than =£1.  But the punctuality was atrocious (I had to jump the passport queue in order to get to the 'bus stop in time to catch one that connected with my intended train, the ground 'handling' at Lubeck was an incredible example of inefficiency, they even had the check to ask us to clear up litter to help them regain time on the turnround (I promptly dropped all of mine on the floor as retaliation for them pinching the booked aircraft for another flight at Stanstedp), and the '£5 bargain fare' turned out to be just short of £29 by the time I paid for all the extras such as a boarding card or a seat.

Much better today - nice punctual trip on all 8 trains we used, lovely sunny day at Poole as we sat nattering down by the harbour consuming some excellent fish & chips and very nice for herself and her cousin (once removed) to meet and delve into family history.  Quick dap back to the station and we caught the train back by the skin off our teeth; ignoring National Rail's peculiar ideas of where to change trains worked out beautifully.

G'night all

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

committee meeting completed... gosh some people don't understand the meaning of keep it simple stupid....

I travelled all over the place during my work at JET and Vickers.... mainly Boeing Always but one trip was in a Shorts 360 flown by Muk Airlines from Bremen to Copenhagen..... had to take our own baggage to the plane...

Have a good night!

baz

Evening all. Great to hear your news John.

A better day today - just! Yesterday had one thing after another. An awful day at work with hassle after hassle. Derby's latest defeat in the evening rounded off the day. On the way to the match I ended up having a blazing row with a car park attendant who accused me of jumping the barrier. Took me a while to prove that I was right, that the barrier was faulty. At least he had the good grace to apologise. It did make me late and whilst running to make up time I pulled my Achilles tendon - which left me limping all the way there and back, and left me unable to run during today's P.E lesson.

Today saw more hassle at work. The head teacher even told me today that I was his flak shield! Just a shame that people never seem to take my advice and then complain that things get no better!

Morning all, 18c today and cloudy, coming in to autumn here and we all think it's the best time of year. Re; Ian Abel, I am sure we had Compass Airlines here in Australia a few years ago, due to our strict aviation authority's regulations they spent more time on the ground than in the air. So, they packed up and went home.

• Like 8

I shall be at a Quo concert in May in a field in Burton Agnes just south of Driffield East Yorks. and I'm 71!

And you will love it!! Beware she can still fit in that one piece leather jump suit to. Edited by Tassie Tex
  • Like 6

Afternoon All

I

Mind you I have been spoiled: BA 747-400 First SFO-LHR, Singapore Airlines A380 Business Class SIN-MEL and so on. Nonetheless, I'll quite happily fly Swiss economy, Air Berlin economy or even EasyJet (when it's the only option) but never, ever, Ryanair. The way they treat passengers (sorry, customers) is appalling, as are all the charges for things that most "legacy carriers" include in the price.Additionally,  I've found that with advance planning, fares CH-UK on a full service airline like Swiss are as cheap [and sometimes cheaper!] than the so-called "no frills" airlines.

Ive never flown “no frills”, I’m afraid but I agree that my favorites are Singapore Airlines (even the Business is brilliant) and BA First. Nothing like having been in the back of beyond to board a Tokyo to London flight on BA. The fancy food doesn’t attract me much either but the smell  of fresh cooked bacon when you’re coming in over Ireland is difficult to beat. I like their “Day” flight from New York which gets in about 9:00pm at Heathrow - though the car around the M25 to the Brentwood exit spoils it somewhat - specially on a Friday....

G’night, Jock, may your dreams all be good and lucid.

Best, Pete.

• Like 9

And you will love it!! Beware she can still fit in that one piece leather jump suit to.

Crossed wires? Mind you, I'd love to see Suzi lining up with the Quo.

Morning all,

Late on parade and v. tired but really cheered by John(CB)'s news - long may it continue.

Stewart, you will be in our thoughts throughout tomorrow - firstly with the hope that they actually perform the procedure, and secondly that all goes well with minimum discomfort. Good luck my friend.

Dick, likewise mate, santé - a brilliant use for the humble Apple in my opinion!

My favourite airline has to be 'Emirates', although I have to speak as I find and a friend tailored a trip to Rome for Joanna and I, using Ryanair as carrier both ways. She obviously paid the extra so I got my choice of seat, and she pre-booked the transfer buses from airport to Terminus, with the hotel only two hundred yards distant! Great time, but I admit it is a very short flight! Worst was probably Air Zimbabwe, not the flight to and from Harare, but the internal one from Harare to Victoria Falls for the border crossing to Botswana - they used an ancient 707 and you couldn't hear one another above the roar of the engines and the rattling of the overhead locker doors! Haven't been lucky enough to be flown by a pilot as attractive as Ms Abel though!

Pete, when we visited my late brother in Boston on several occasions (he was a brash dollar millionaire with US citizenship!), we always flew home 'First' as he spoke to the desk at the airport and dollars were seen to change hands on each occasion! Don't suppose you'd get away with that these days with post 9/11 security. I still marvel at the way citizens of the U.S. treat planes like buses - years ago we had several trips to NYC from Boston with New York Air and their DC9s and it was as simple as catching a bus from here to London, and not much more expensive! Guess that has all changed now though? Kids from New York apparently went to school in Boston daily!

The hump is over and the home run to the weekend is here for those at work!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! Hope your dreams produce the next beautiful piece of music. G'night anyone else still up!

• Like 13

Morning Laurence, I sometimes ponder to think doe's anybody sleep way over there?

Eventually Tex, I've got 01.20 showing on the clock so the lights are going out now - got a 7.30am start (don't ask!).

Kind regards and goodnight,

Jock.

in 1982 we moved from Paisley to Mesa, Arizona with three children ages 5, 3 and 2. (I was working for ITT in Tempe). We decided to return to Paisley for Christmas 1983 so the grandparents could see the kids.

We were flying AA, Phoenix - Dallas - Gatwick. Unfortunately, the Phoenix - Dallas flight was delayed and we missed the connection to Gatwick. A very nice man at the AA desk put all five of us in FIRST on the next flight! I was telling the kids to eat that caviar stuff because they might never get it again, but they only wanted hamburgers.

We took the train up to London to catch a train from Euston to Glasgow Central and we were crossing London in a cab. We were going to have a bit of a wait at Euston, so I said to my wife "Look, that's Knightsbridge! Why don't we stop off at Harrods at pick up some things for the parents?" She thought about it for a minute but decided the children were too tired after the long flight, so we decided to relax at Euston and get something to eat.

Shortly after we arrived at Euston, all hell broke loose. Policemen were running all over the place. The date was December 17th, and Harrods had just been bombed.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Our most memorable flight was on a 9 / 10 seater single engine prop plane from Skagway to Juneau.

When we booked we had to give the carrier our body weight.

On arrival at the tiny modern building at Skagway airport, there was room for a counter and a few old road vehicles in the window display. All our bags including camera bag, other halves hand bag were taken and weighed .

The Platters (I thought that they would have been older than they looked so might have been a tribute band or something) and mangeress showed up (their cruise ship was unable to dock at Juneau due to not having the correct Homeland Security paperwork so it had to sail direct to Skagway), one of them given the co pilots seat. The only other aircraft at the airport was a US coastgurd helicopter that landed as we were about to taxi.

We flew below the cloud base so got a great view of the glaciers.

On arrival at Juneau airport, we had to collect all our bags off a trolley between the plane and the terminal.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11