The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. We're limited in airline choice as there is only one place we will be going this year (we have an ulterior motive). Unless we get a First Choice or Thomas Cook last-minute set of return flights with suitable dates, it will likely need to be Ryanair. The "nice man" comment was most definitely tongue in cheek. Faced with a Ryanair flight (and it's quite a long one at the limit of a 737's range), I'm usually in a bad mood from beginning to end. "No, I don't want a bloody scratch-card"...

Flown with Ryanair once!!!

Here's a simple or even stupid question I'm trying to get my head round re fluid dynamics.  

I have a double motored pond pump that has a 2" flexible pipe outlet.  This runs for 20' from the submersible pump round to the pond filter.  After about 16' of 2" pipe it runs into an Ultra Violet lamp unit which has a pipe inlet of just 1.5" effectively throttling the flow of water through a pipe reducer.

On that basis, is the main pump hose with a diameter of 2" just a waste of money as the whole thing could/should be run in 1.5" or is there some advantage in having 80% in 2" with just a short length of 1.5"?

Just asking as I'm about to connect up a new system and I have an opportunity to reset some of the system if needed.

There will never be a better time...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Should that be twice - or was it so bad you walked home?

Mike

We often fly out to one location and fly back from another so just depends on who flies to each location.

Dont have much of a desire to fly with them again though!!

I see it's lets knock Ryanair time again!

You get what you pay for. It's cheap. It gets you there on time far more often than not. If it wasn't for my bus pass, getting to the airport would be more expensive than the flights. Accept it for what it is and just ignore the fatuous on board announcements.

A satisfied regular customer.

• Like 5

Its been posted before but appropriate for Pete's pending ministrations with the nice man from Ryanair.

The complete album on which this may be found 'Silver Jubilee Fascinating Aida' should be declared a national treasure. Fun though 'Cheap flights' may be, I don't think it the best on the disc. Had me helpless with laughter back on Christmas day 2010 or 2011, when my wife gave me it as a total surprise gift.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Welcome Tex...

HUMP day it is already, and I missed posting yesterday as there was plenty going on with work AND I took a midday break to go see the newest aircraft delivered to the company Jemma works for...

E-175 (about the same size as the smaller Airbus A318-A319's) in new American Eagle livery

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-1.jpg

First Officer Jemma probably fits INSIDE an engine intake  :)

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-2.jpg

Her "office", wish mine was like this

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-3.jpg

E-175 boarding-side view

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-4.jpg

Since she works for Compass Airlines, who provide regional jet services for both Delta (Delta Connection) and now American (American Eagle), she could technically fly either/both carriers in the same day. In reality she is unlikely to fly this aircraft as most of the American Eagle sectors are on the west coast and as she's based in Minneapolis (for now) it would be unusual for them to schedule her out to the west coast with a Delta flight then switch to an American...

Was quite interesting to be in a plane that is so squeaky clean and has NEVER seen passenger service yet.

We've been warned that due to the much lower than usual precipitation all winter and so far this spring, we are heading for mild drought conditions, something seldom heard in the upper mid-west here...

Rock music oldies...Here's a favourite of mine (as I was there) - and we're going to see them AGAIN in October, that'll be 45 years AFTER this concert... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qb_voOxHw

Nowt much else going on right now, just busy working...

EDIT: Weather report -1C driving in, and headed for 9C overcast...

A nice new shiny plane!!

I like the old AA livery but the new livery is even better IMHO.

I have flown on some of the Embraer smallish jets and they were very pleasant inside , especially those that have 2 + 2 seating, far nicer than a A319/20 or Boeing 737. More recently it has been the Delta Connection turbo props on connecting flights. last one was Salt Lake City to Burbank.

• Like 7

Afternoon All

I see it's lets knock Ryanair time again!....

I see Killybegs has lost touch with his rural roots. Has he really forgotten the countryman's classic "when the snow be melted and the crocus be budding, tis Ryanair season so get ye a-knocking". :O :jester:

I have flown some pretty grim airlines in my time (pre 1989 Malev being one of them), but I'd sooner fly the superannuated Malta Air Charter Mil Mi-8 (an elderly machine, with no real sound insulation and with a hodge-podge of avionics in the cockpit, flown on behalf of Air Malta) one more time than fly Ryanair at all.

Mind you I have been spoiled: BA 747-400 First SFO-LHR, Singapore Airlines A380 Business Class SIN-MEL and so on. Nonetheless, I'll quite happily fly Swiss economy, Air Berlin economy or even EasyJet (when it's the only option) but never, ever, Ryanair. The way they treat passengers (sorry, customers) is appalling, as are all the charges for things that most "legacy carriers" include in the price.Additionally,  I've found that with advance planning, fares CH-UK on a full service airline like Swiss are as cheap [and sometimes cheaper!] than the so-called "no frills" airlines.

• Like 1

Good day all - not posted for a couple of days - just too busy!  Frosty start today, so I had to de-ice the car.  Was not feeling too great today, as I seem to have pulled a muscle in ther stomach area, so it is sore.

I had to do a Manual Handling briefing today to a (very pretty) new starter, so as part of the session, we lifted a metal plate onto a trolley and carried it to the building scales to check its weight.  The scales are supposed to go up to 100kg, so I checked them by standing on them.  The display changed from 0.000kg to 'HELP'!!  At this point I should point out that I do not weight more than about 85kg.  The girl did find it rather amusing.  To be fair the metal plate, which was approx 25kg, also resuled in the HELP display.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

I see Killybegs has lost touch with his rural roots. Has he really forgotten the countryman's classic "when the snow be melted and the crocus be budding, tis Ryanair season so get ye a-knocking". :O :jester:

I have flown some pretty grim airlines in my time (pre 1989 Malev being one of them), but I'd sooner fly the superannuated Malta Air Charter Mil Mi-8 (an elderly machine, with no real sound insulation and with a hodge-podge of avionics in the cockpit, flown on behalf of Air Malta) one more time than fly Ryanair at all.

Mind you I have been spoiled: BA 747-400 First SFO-LHR, Singapore Airlines A380 Business Class SIN-MEL and so on. Nonetheless, I'll quite happily fly Swiss economy, Air Berlin economy or even EasyJet (when it's the only option) but never, ever, Ryanair. The way they treat passengers (sorry, customers) is appalling, as are all the charges for things that most "legacy carriers" include in the price.Additionally,  I've found that with advance planning, fares CH-UK on a full service airline like Swiss are as cheap [and sometimes cheaper!] than the so-called "no frills" airlines.

Nice... you have been spoiled flying upper class on those planes :jester:

We did get a free upgrade on a BA 777 last xmas (probably due to being my other halves birthday). The World plus was like the older style 1st class planes and we even had proper metal  knives and forks - first time we have ever had such an upgrade.

• Like 7

You seem to have similar thoughts about airlines to Matthew! It will be interesting to see what he thinks about Air Serbia who he will be using to and from Belgrade soon.

I've heard they're pretty good nowadays. They have improved since being bought by Emirates.

I've never tried Ryanair, Heathrow is our local airport so it's mostly BA for us. I do have Germanwings to sarajevo coming up though

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Back from our trip to Hawes, other half very happy certain item she wanted picked up from antiques dealer following telephone bartering.

Refrained from visiting a certain "in the news" hotel/pub for a drink, thought there might be blood still present!

Parked up and went for a walk under Ribblehead Viaduct, never ceases to amaze me how it was built  back in 1870.

An enjoyable day.

A few facts on Ribblehead

-Ribblehead Viaduct is 440 yards (400 m) long, and 104 feet (32 m) above the valley floor at its highest point.[3] It is made up of twenty-four arches of 45 feet (14 m) span, with foundations 25 feet (7.6 m) deep. The north end of the viaduct is 13 feet (4.0 m) higher in elevation than the south end.[4] 1.5 million bricks were used in the construction and some of the limestone blocks weighed 8 tons each.[9][1

Have a good evening all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Tex...

HUMP day it is already, and I missed posting yesterday as there was plenty going on with work AND I took a midday break to go see the newest aircraft delivered to the company Jemma works for...

E-175 (about the same size as the smaller Airbus A318-A319's) in new American Eagle livery

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-1.jpg

First Officer Jemma probably fits INSIDE an engine intake  :)

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-2.jpg

Her "office", wish mine was like this

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-3.jpg

E-175 boarding-side view

attachicon.gifJemma-AE175-4.jpg

Since she works for Compass Airlines, who provide regional jet services for both Delta (Delta Connection) and now American (American Eagle), she could technically fly either/both carriers in the same day. In reality she is unlikely to fly this aircraft as most of the American Eagle sectors are on the west coast and as she's based in Minneapolis (for now) it would be unusual for them to schedule her out to the west coast with a Delta flight then switch to an American...

Was quite interesting to be in a plane that is so squeaky clean and has NEVER seen passenger service yet.

We've been warned that due to the much lower than usual precipitation all winter and so far this spring, we are heading for mild drought conditions, something seldom heard in the upper mid-west here...

Rock music oldies...Here's a favourite of mine (as I was there) - and we're going to see them AGAIN in October, that'll be 45 years AFTER this concert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qb_voOxHw

Nowt much else going on right now, just busy working...

EDIT: Weather report -1C driving in, and headed for 9C overcast...

A very proud dad there Ian and with good reason.  

I never did get to visit my brother's 'office' when he was flying for BOAC/BA much to my regret.

Enjoy The Who.  I went to see them in Leeds {of course}  in December and thought they were brilliant, especially the teasing and joshing between Daltrey ( a railway modeller) and Townsend.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've heard they're pretty good nowadays. They have improved since being bought by Emirates.

I've never tried Ryanair, Heathrow is our local airport so it's mostly BA for us. I do have Germanwings to sarajevo coming up though

Matthew's choice of Air Serbia wasn't price driven but he did like the idea of midday flights. Also the connections to Republika Srpska were easier to make. He is going to spend a couple of days sightseeing in Belgrade before boarding the bus.

When he did his Baltic jaunt last year,he flew Norwegian Air to Helsinki and a ferry to Tallin. He flew back from Estonia to Stansted with Ryanair and would prefer not to in future. Being a solo traveller and not that tall he doesn't care where he sits and is capable of politely declining scratch cards or the coffee. However his last two flights back to the UK have been mainly populated with people on "stag do" weekenders who are "unwell". Though perhaps Matthew is just unlucky. Even on Cathay Pacific a baby vomited over him as the parent walked along the aisle.

Though Matthew did say to be fair Ryanair's cabin service is quite sophisticated compared to some domestic flights in North America!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Again, too much going on, and not enough time to get caught up - I tried a bit this morning, but even so, I'm still five pages behind, and I'm still not able to get caught up.

FInally got confirmation that the procedure on my hip is taking place tomorrow - should have been checkin at 11 am, but got a phone call to say that I needed to be there by 7.15 and if I couldn't make that earlier time, I'd need to rearrange.  So by hook or by crook I'll get there, even though the first bus doesn't go until 7.25 - I don't really want to put it off again, as I've already been waiting over 8 months for what to a surgeon is a simple procedure and will probably last only half an hour at best. 

As usual, it has to be generic greetings, and a hope that I've not missed anything too significant - but hey, we've a new ER joined in, welcome to Tex.

Regards to All

Stewart

Afternoon All

All I can say is that you must have been unlucky, I fly regularly with Ryanair and have had no problems. The old add-ons are now included in the price and still work out a lot cheaper than other airlines, certainly flying between Ireland and the UK. How do they treat customers? We had a blind friend in her eighties who used to come over to see us quite often before she passed away. She always gave Ryanair advance warning, she and her guide dog were collected from check in, she was allocated two seats and only had to pay for one. She had nothing but praise for them. I am afraid that I don't call that poor service.

I have spent a great deal of my working life sitting in planes and have experienced far worse. It will be interesting to see what their long haul flights are like if they get off the ground, so to speak.

Tony, I don't think you can blame the airline for the type of person that books to travel with them.

Rant over.

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

John. Matthew wasn't complaining about the airline. It was the experience. These were longer flights from Eastern Europe and mainly full of sobering up Brits. He had been on other Ryanair routes and was not bothered by the economy measures and didn't mind the bus ride from Hahn (amusingly labelled Frankfurt but handy for Luxembourg) to Frankfurt as he expected it and it was cheaper than any other way of getting there. It is just that given a choice, Ryanair will be last on his list. He has travelled quite a lot by air, Europe, North America, Asia and Australasia by a variety of airlines. I liked his comment "Dad,the plane had propellers".

As I said he found Ryanair sophisticated compared to some US airlines.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

I have recently travelled with Ryanair quite a bit over the last few years, as they seem to have better flight times to places we want to go to.  As it happens, we are off to Spain on Sunday with Ryanair.  They do one thing that annoys me - I was able to do the on-line check-in last Sunday for our outbound flight, but could not do the same for the return flight at the same time without paying the premium to pre-book the seats.  I will need to wait until this Sunday to book the return seats, just before we leave home to go to the airport.  It is just something that wound me up when I realised.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, a bit cream crackered due to a bad night and a crazy busy day at work.  Busy is good of course, not complaining!

Welcome aboard Tex, from one islander to another!

Ian, Jemma looks great in that office, I bet you are SO proud.  I have a 'surrogate daughter', actually a much younger ex-colleague who doesn't have a Dad so she 'adopted' me several years ago!!!!.....and I feel that pride in her achievements (MSc Social Work - despite bad dyslexia) even though we are really just friends, so you must feel it ten times more.  Real parenthood passed us by I'm afraid. 

Ryanair?  Try Citywing from here for basic service.....nit sure of they are still flying the LETs, but they were elastic band powered.  Under their previous name they landed a Metro III upside-down in Ireland a couple of years ago, half the passengers walked away, talk about lucky.  Not the other half though.....

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I have recently travelled with Ryanair quite a bit over the last few years, as they seem to have better flight times to places we want to go to.  As it happens, we are off to Spain on Sunday with Ryanair.  They do one thing that annoys me - I was able to do the on-line check-in last Sunday for our outbound flight, but could not do the same for the return flight at the same time without paying the premium to pre-book the seats.  I will need to wait until this Sunday to book the return seats, just before we leave home to go to the airport.  It is just something that wound me up when I realised.

Being able to check in a week before your return is quite generous compared to many other airlines. Pre check in available 24 hours before isn't unusual. Printing boarding cards without printer access has been fun in the past!