The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

"All confirmation of my hypothesis that our anthropomorphic global warming accident is actually fending off a return to global glaciation - and that would be a disaster."

Years ago, before Global Warming was invented/heard of, when I was studying archaeology, I was taught that the world is currently enjoying a warm spell (interglacial period) within the current Ice Age and will eventually get colder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation

Invest in warm clothing now, while the camping and outdoor shops have it on sale.

Pete

and a lot of the scientists who were behind all the warnings of the ice age are also behind the global warming warnings too.

though I suppose there are a limited supply of climatologists so there is bound to be some overlap

• Like 2

Mr bl##dy fox has visited me as well and left a present on the back door step which luckily I missed. Have now cleared it up as window cleaners have just arrived and from past experience they would have walked right through it!

whenever I have a moment like this (which Mrs Lurker fondly refers to as my pooperscooping duty), I wish I knew Chris Packham's number. He could come around, marvel at how wonderful it is to have urban foxes, before clearing the stuff up. He might marvel a little less.

One time there was a very nasty stain on the front door step for several months despite heavy scrubbing after the scoopingetc. Eventually sun and rain saw to it.

whenever I have a moment like this (which Mrs Lurker fondly refers to as my pooperscooping duty), I wish I knew Chris Packham's number. He could come around, marvel at how wonderful it is to have urban foxes, before clearing the stuff up. He might marvel a little less.

One time there was a very nasty stain on the front door step for several months despite heavy scrubbing after the scoopingetc. Eventually sun and rain saw to it.

Foxes! Wretched things.  Fortunately, urban foxes are rare in Germany.

If the foxes weren't bad enough, their poo is absolutely foul.

My parents have a huge problem with Badgers.  Admittedly, they live in the countryside, but for all those people who say badgers are lovely, try being sympathetic when they build their dung pits in your garden!

Wildlife is great, provided it stays wild!

• Like 1

If you're interested in what's in our food (that may or may not be mentioned on the label), food writer Joanna Blythman has a new book out, "Swallow This: Serving Up The Food Industry's Darkest Secrets" wherein you'll find some astonishing and horrifying stuff. Think it's worse than we thought...

Then again, we are omnivores, the industry is just testing the limits. And they are somewhat honest about it. Pot Noodle (anag.) = Poo to lend

I'll let the lab rats get on with that, and major on DIY food from ingredients as close as possible to natural origin and with the minimum of processing.

Morning all,

Gordon, I've been studying (and consuming!) wine for many years and have known about the art of 'fining' in production methods all along, but I believe what you have seen is the result of 'nanny state, *rse covering labelling' because as your linked website suggests - there is no medical evidence to show that there is enough residue to cause allergic reaction!

John (Killybegs), I thought I'd Mention that Joanna often plays the 'if we won the lottery game' and I get in trouble for saying that I'll worry about it when I know how much she has won, as her past record would suggest that it is unlikely to be an issue! Pleased to read your comments on the weather where you live, we often stay at Porthleven in Cornwall which also faces the Atlantic where the Lizard peninsula adjoins the 'Lands End' one and they are well accustomed to some extreme storms there. There are several shots on line of the sea battering the cliffs there, and being forced high into the air by the force of the Atlantic waves!

GrandadBob, please wish Abbie happy birthday from us.

Hope to set up a small area of the spare room as a studio today and get on with taking photographs of the various items I need to dispose of to allow the down-sizing move that Joanna is so keen to make. Trying out 'flea-Bay' as well as other outlets. 'Sniffy' has given me advice in the past, for which I'm grateful, but Im still not certain if it is better to start items at 99p and hope the bidding exceeds the required return, or whether to set a buy it now price at a reasonable level. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Sherry, hope you enjoyed the hostess role and I wondered if you are beginning to get excited about the coming nuptials? As 'second timers', I have to say that we would heartily recommend it!!

Glad to read that most of our sufferers appear to be on the mend, and very pleased that Bob seems to have managed twenty-four hours without knocking any more lumps off himself!

Have a safe hump day,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, plenty of advice already I see. Just adding my personal feeling/experience.

All the items (mostly "N" that I wasn't going to model) I was disposing of, I wanted a reasonable amount for, and wasn't above relisting if it didn't move first time. As a result, I listed them with a "starting price" I was prepared to accept as a minimum, a "Buy It Now" at a price below what I expected it to reach at auction but which might attract a quicker sale from someone interested, and let the punters have their way. Most of my items actually sold for enjoyably higher prices than the BIN price, so I was pleased :) I know there are some differences between fees/costs on eBay US vs. eBay UK, but here there is no charge/penalty for starting at a given price and having a BIN price also. I also personally find/think having a "reserve" is a waste of time, if you have a minimum you require you'll let the item go for, use that as the starting price, IMHO. "Your mileage may vary"!

Where's the Buccaneer?

Answers on a dirty postcard.

I seem to recall the entire quip (definitely and "oldie") goes something like this;

If you're a pirate, where are your buccaneers?

Under me buckin hat... <ba boom>

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 10

HUMP day is here, and in the office for the day.

Received the last of my parcels yesterday <yay>, including;

i) a lovely MIB Bachmann BR Maroon MK1 SO (obviously never even been out of the box as the ends were not damaged, and everything including the protecting tissue was intact inside the clamshell!!

ii) Unused "ID Backscenes 401 Photo Backscene 15 inch Terrace House Backs - 10ft long" still in original tube packaging.

So, colder again here today -13 on the drive in with snow flurries, high expected -9

• Like 9

Afternoon all.  Busy day here in Scottish HQ. The day started bright and sunny and has mellowed into grey.

The ceilidh last night was great fun, had a blast.  My dance partner for last night had never been to a ceilidh before (though she'd done 3 ceilidh dances at New Year) so it was a totally new experience for her. She soon discovered that ceilidhs aren't like the genteel salsa dancing she's been to, and are more like warfare!  She commented that it was "rather more aerobic exercise"!

I see Colin has a quacking new avatar. Just ducky.

What duck? (Buggrit. Millennium hand and shrimp.)*

*Terry Pratchett reference in case anyone sends for the men in white coats.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Testing, one two free.

The new router arrived. I think I have now connected everything. I think the old one was straining somewhat with so many wireless devices!

The only thing that proved reluctant to connect to the interwebs was my bluray recorder but it did so at second attempt. Matthew can do all of his stuff whenever he comes home. I am not sure if he will be at home at Easter but I think we will arrange a few lunch meetings near LSE. He will be going to Dubai for a week and then a friend from Canada will be visiting. Matthew's residence is very handy for the Canadian High Commission!

Now sitting down listening to something I downloaded after reading the "Classical" thread.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Of course it all depends how many you have in your garden ;)

post-6859-0-27146100-1424879270_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-08826700-1424879283_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-64731600-1424879296_thumb.jpg

One neighbour demanded that I shoot them - Mrs Stationmaster would probably have felled me if I had (and I doubt the airgun would have done the job anyway - definitely not a clean kill so not a good idea)

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear that Andy's daughter seems to be over the worst.
Glad that Tony's router is routing.
Delighted that Mike broke neither himself or his partner.
Sad that so many seem to have the Lurgy.
Upset to read of Jock's friend.

I had the cataract pre-op assessment this afternoon so it's all systems go for end of May. I could have had it done earlier but arranged it for the school holidays.
Daughter is getting married this Saturday so everybody (else) is running about like azure bummed muscidae. I scrub up quite well and look good in a penguin suit even if I say so myself. Must think about writing a speech.

It never rains but it pours as they say.

Edit - ruddy I-pad predictives

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad to here that Andy's daughter seems to be over the worst.

Glad the Tony's router is routing.

Delighted that Mike broke neither himself or his partner.

Sad that so many seem to have the Lurgy.

Upset to read of Jock's friend.

I had the cataract pre-op assessment this afternoon so it's all systems go for end of May. I could have had it done earlier but arranged it for the school holidays.

Daughter is getting married this Saturday so everybody (else) is running about like azure bummed muscidae. I scrub up quite well and look good in a penguin suit even if I say so myself. Must think about writing a speech.

It never rains but it pours as they say.

Think you deserve two of those friendly / supportive things and as for planning the operation in the holidays in the run up to retirement that is above and beyond.

Edited by skipepsi

When the foxes denned under our decking one year it became rather smelly at the height of summer. And Mrs Lurker was less than amused when Mrs Fox came between her and the younger Lurker (then about two and a half) in the garden and wouldn't shift.

If we see signs of digging by the decking we now put down bleach. Tends to send them away.

the screaming noises during mating season are like listening to certain female tennis players!

• RMweb Gold

When the foxes denned under our decking one year it became rather smelly at the height of summer. And Mrs Lurker was less than amused when Mrs Fox came between her and the younger Lurker (then about two and a half) in the garden and wouldn't shift.

If we see signs of digging by the decking we now put down bleach. Tends to send them away.

the screaming noises during mating season are like listening to certain female tennis players!

The female who produced the litter seen above (I think there might be one missing from those pics) has tried several times since to dig herself a suitable hole somewhere in the garden - as soon as I find any such digging I fill it with large flints and that seems to dissuade her.  Plus our 'through traffic' seems to have declined since we put the front gates up although the flippin' muntjac still get in.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Not able to catch up at the mo due to other commitments, and not going to be on parade now for the rest of the week.

General greetings all round is about as far as I can get today - sorry.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I quite like wildlife coming into the garden with the exception of the sparrowhawks. The vixens in particular do make some blood curdling sounds at night which can wake the dogs up. We think it is one that jumps the fence and makes a bang most mornings. Even when we kept ducks they did not cause too much bother as the dogs would scare them off during the day. Badgers are rather determined and one they have adopted a route it takes serious masonry to stop them. Fence panels stand no chance.

Most problems with Urban foxes are due to the amount of food rubbish that gets dropped or thrown around, plus the amount thrown in dustbins (country folk used to throw little away what they could eat went either in a mash for the hens or swill for the pigs). Other than coming round to see if anyone has left any hens or ducks out they never caused much bother to us. But if you lay on a nightly treat of leftovers.....

Don

• Like 5

Like Bob we have a couple of local sad cases who feed the foxes (which is illegal) and they carp all over our garden. #1 son is very exercised by this, as it has made his garden almost unusable as a play area.