The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

If you have cats an ex racing greyhound is a no-no. I had a friend now sadly no longer with us who had several 'rescue' racing greyhounds, they are trained to pursue the mechanical rabbit. Problem is that they can't tell the difference between a mechanical rabbit, a real rabbit or a cat. That is why you will see many greyhounds wearing muzzles despite them usually being one of the friendliest of breeds, unless your a cat or rabbit of course.

And small dogs. When I was a kid we had a miniature poodle almost ripped to pieces by a couple of unmuzzled greyhounds...

Well - the furnace service folks came and replaced some control module, seemed like it was working and they left.. About 20 minutes later the furnace started pretty much the same thing it was doing this morning, and then decided it couldn't even light the main burner and has quit altogether <sigh>

Waiting for a return visit from the service guy... localized temperature in my office now down to about 16 and basement/railway room/furnace area is around 12 <brrrr> 

Edited by Ian Abel

We don't have problems with cats - the two dogs see to that!

But if the cat is hungry then it's not being looked after properly. Have you thought of phoning someone like that Cats Protection League for advice?

I'm not sure that's true. Did you ever read "Six Dinner Sid" to your kids/grandkids? Google tells you everything.

Ed

I have been giving some thought as to the best kind of dog to protect the household cats. I think a Jack Russell would be about right for a feline household. They are not very big (AGREED), not particularly obedient (MINE WAS), like running over worktops (YUP, AND UP TREES) and occupying the best seat (WHERE ELSE?)and think they are a match for any other creature (ABSOLUTELY). But my JRT loved cats, but few moggies stayed around long enough.

Bill

Catapult.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Martyn had "Six Dinners Sid".  My old cat at my previous abode (see above) was a former stray. The people who he originally adopted named him "J. Edgar brackets as in Hoover close brackets" due to his eating habits. When he was with me he regularly visited various houses, including one where the cats were fed outside (what a gift),  an old lady who put tuna out for the neighbourhood cats every afternoon, his previous abode across the road, and any student house where he could look plaintive enough to blag a feed. He still ate his food at home and harvested mice, which he ate, at the school down the street. He only went to his old home in summer; he'd go though the open front window. It was a student house by then. He was a right character.

Pete

• Like 10

Slot or cross-point? The problem with slotted round-heads is that the head is weakest where you need the strength. Anyway, does anybody still use old-fashioned hand-driven screwdrivers any more? 

:prankster: Ed

Yes, and slotted screws.

The trick is to drive a cross-head in to cut the thread, remove it and then drive in a slotted screw with a proper screwdriver. Looks a thousand times better.

• Like 1

Yes, and slotted screws.

The trick is to drive a cross-head in to cut the thread, remove it and then drive in a slotted screw with a proper screwdriver. Looks a thousand times better.

And buy decent quality steel screws. Not those cheap ones that break with a slight torque.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and slotted screws.

I usually drill a pilot hole and coat the screw in either Vaseline or soap (preferably vaseline on outdoor jobs) before driving it into place.   When I did some dismantling prior to the fence rebuild I had no problem getting out the previous steel screws which had been in place for 5 -6 years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You mean for other than opening paint cans?

My father was very insistent on using the right tool for the job. So much so I still don't use the ones he gave me inappropriately. Doesn't stop me using ones I have bought though!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jim, hope I'm not too late to wish you a happy birthday.

Illiterate tonight - watching cricket highlights (England v Scotland).  Seems I'm not too good at doing two things at once at this time of night.  :jester:

So I bid you all a good night.

Edit - fix typo.  See! TTold you.

Edited by southern42

Evening all. Extremely late on parade today after a very busy day. The teaching went well and I have done the assignment and planned the presentation for the course tomorrow.

I would like to give good wishes to all. I may not be on much during the next few days. It looks like a hectic week.

Tomorrow is the course. Then a quick change before going out to watch Derby's next home game.

Wednesday has a staff meeting, then tea at parents before taking Amber up to the in-laws where her and Sarah are staying the night.

Thursday has an after school sports club before I have to drive back to the in-laws to collect the girls.

Somewhere in that time I need to finish writing the quiz ready for Friday night. Phew!

Morning all,

Very brief post tonight as I'm very tired. Did our hospital visit this afternoon and I have to say that the lass is showing incredible spirit and fighting hard. So sad to see the deterioration of such a vibrant person, no hair left for instance - she was still turning heads only a year or so ago! I am completely inspired by her, and we'll continue to visit this week, as long as we aren't tiring her too much.

Hope all those who have been ailing will soon shake it off,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night late retirers!

• RMweb Gold

Well there I was earlier running some trains and I thought that the small prairie needed a B set.  I bent down and reached into a stock box situated under a shelf and as I straightened up I banged my head smack on the place where I cut it open Friday so once again there was claret everywhere. Now stopped bleeding and bandaged once again. The Boss thinks I'm an idiot..............so do I.

Night all,

Pillock of Sutton.

• RMweb Gold

Well there I was earlier running some trains and I thought that the small prairie needed a B set.  I bent down and reached into a stock box situated under a shelf and as I straightened up I banged my head smack on the place where I cut it open Friday so once again there was claret everywhere. Now stopped bleeding and bandaged once again. The Boss thinks I'm an idiot..............so do I.

Night all,

Pillock of Sutton.

Ouch!