The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say that I've not touched a paintbrush this weekend, but then I have just been on a mercy mission.

The Obergrumpenfuher is off out this afternoon on a  'World Thinking Day' event with the Girlguides, and one of her many bravery awards decided to part company with it's clasp.

(I think it was the anti Boyscout destruction badge with laurels).

Anyway a quick clean up and a drop of flux, plus the application of some solder and suitably directed heat (plus a wet pad on the reverse side to protect the enamel) ensured she was able to go to the event properly dressed.

I do like it when things such as this happen as it reinforces the requirement for a Happy Hippo to have a well equipped workshop at his disposal.

A wallet full of change is also a must as she has just demanded a 50p piece!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I was going to say that I've not touched a paintbrush this weekend, but then I have just been on a mercy mission.

Anyway a quick clean up and a drop of flux, plus the application of some solder and suitably directed heat (plus a wet pad on the reverse side to protect the enamel) ensured she was able to go to the event properly dressed.

I do like it when things such as this happen as it reinforces the requirement for a Happy Hippo to have a well equipped workshop at his disposal.

I like that one.  Normally I am being constantly reminded to move various small tools from the coffee table by the sofa but this week i was handed an earing that had been stepped on and bent.  Suddenley the presence of a set of needle nose pliers on the said caffee table was much appreciated.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The Obergrumpenfuher is off out this afternoon on a  'World Thinking Day' event with the Girlguides, and one of her many bravery awards decided to part company with it's clasp.

(I think it was the anti Boyscout destruction badge with laurels).

A wallet full of change is also a must as she has just demanded a 50p piece!

You must now have a wallet full of brownie points, don't go wasting them now.

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I mentioned the requirement for an ultrasonic bath - instant agreement when I said that it would clean jewellery.

The ultrasonic bath I purchased (special offer from Maplins last year) now has right of residence in the house as in fact it has only been used for jewellery cleaning so far.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

There are some odd people about on a Sunday afternoon. I went to a supermarket to get some salad items. To get from the carpark to the entrance I had to pass through a line of queueing traffic. I looked to make sure no one was likely to move and walked through. After I was some distance further on I heard a horn and looked round. The cars hadn't moved but the car I had walked round contained a driver who had wound down his window and was shouting at me. I noted where he parked and I must admit he looked surprised when I asked what I had done to upset him. Apparently I had "looked at him". I told him I had looked towards him and looked to make sure I didn't get run over by a cyclist but other than that I can't help how I look. He said he thought I was criticising where he had stopped and then he said " sorry mate". A few minutes later he was having words with a shop assistant. I asked the assistant if he was OK as thenchap departed. He said yes but did smile when I said the chap had been cross with me for looking at him!

• Like 11

Evening all,

Back from visiting the mother of our sick friend on the occasion of her eightieth birthday. The party was obviously cancelled in the circumstances but we called to deliver presents and obviously give as much support as we

could. The lass is very poorly but while we were with her mum, a text came through from the hospital requesting an A4 pad and pen - the oxygen mask makes it difficult to talk and so she wants to write down her side of the

conversation! Sums up her bravery and I have to say that we have operated a sort of mutual support group over the last couple of years although my condition is nowhere near as advanced as hers! She is actually more

concerned about her mother and so while we are helpless in respect of being able to help her, we can at least reassure her that we will look after her mum (who in any case is a friend of some thirty-three years standing!).

She has actually asked to see us, so we shall visit late afternoon tomorrow.

Thank you for the kind comments - I'm certain that any of you, confronted by a nasty, would surprise yourself as I certainly have! Perhaps being very emotional, and unafraid to express those emotions ( I am even moved to

tears by certain pieces of music!) helps, but thank you for the kindness.

Ian (OD), that was a great thread to mention - classical music has always been important to me and I will post on there shortly. Perhaps the whingeing classes don't appreciate such music such is the friendliness shown?

Got my brownie points for doing the weekly clean up and flower replacement on the grave of Joanna's mum and dad, although how long I retain them remains to be seen!

Hope Sunday has seen an improvement in the health of those who have been suffering,

Kind regards,

Jock.   

• Like 2

First visit today. After 14 hours sleep, I decided I'd better get up and have some food and fluid. Then, promptly fell asleep again. On the up side though, I am starting to feel a lot better.

Andy - Excellent news on your daughter being home.

Jock - Where do you get the emotional strength? Supporting people on here and friends who are less fortunate than yourself must take its toll.

Lets see what tomorrow brings

Catching up after a busy day.

The invalid will have her leg in plaster for at least six weeks, but thinks that she will be bouncing up and down stairs immediately afterwards! I have arranged for two friends to visit tomorrow, who will explain the truth to her.

Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

long day - visited Warley MRC Open Day.. nice to meet people I normally see at the NEC once a year!

Downside....M60 around Manchester and the M6 Birmingham local road - what gives with the 35 mph top speed in the Birmingham area of the M6??

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Jock, yes it's a Bachmann Std 5, very nice runner, a swine to take apart to add DCC!  The grass bank, errrrr......it was a while ago!  The rock face is broken up edges from the compressed paper underlay for laminate flooring, looks a bit like fibreboard, painted with runny plaster mix.  The 'grass' is all woodland scenic stuff, in many different colours and grades all mixed up.  It's meant to have a look of early 'fall' in it's colouring.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The spread of the classical music thread into brass bands reminded me of the version of King of Rome by the Unthanks and the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fL3E8FRxiw  The song itself is very moving and the band arrangement seems to make it more so. The song is based on a true story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Rome  and the original version by the writer, Dave Sudbury, is also very powerful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97SXJR8cVo

Pete

• Like 3

Evening all. Great to hear more positive news on Andy's daughter. More posts tonight show what a true gent Jock is - my good wishes to all.

Another busy day. I was up early to head off to the Trowell show this morning with Amber in tow. After an enjoyable morning it was back home and then off for a quick shop before picking up Sarah's Avon books to save her a walk in the pouring rain. Then I hit the laptop to crack on with the assignment before driving off to the in-laws for tea.  I bumped into the in-laws at the Trowell show and my father in law was quick to show me his new purchase from the show a Hornby Ivatt class 2 which was in excellent condition for its age.

Tomorrow the student is off at a family funeral. I hope all goes well for her. She has just sent me the lesson plans for tomorrow. Hmmmm! No comment!

• RMweb Premium

Motorbike or Locomotive?

Following cutbacks, here is the new Motability vehicle.

attachicon.gifMotability(Loco)PB.jpg

Morning again,
DD, the engine in the Heath Robinson device (post#84647) looks very familiar for some reason - I'm virtually certain that I have seen one similar in a motorcycle. Wonder if you had any information on it perchance?
Kind regards,
Jock.

Ray chased up the said vehicle this afternoon.  I say, chase, because it had been put away somewhere and though the old workshop, where he found it, was quite dark, he managed to get a few photos using flash.

The story.

post-14049-0-74803300-1424636488.jpg

The frame is a 1920s Royal Enfield motor cycle with a 350cc engine.

post-14049-0-52216600-1424636428.jpg

And the Notice visible in DD's photo of the machine.

post-14049-0-81175700-1424636510.jpg

• Like 10

Morning all,

Thanks to Ray for his efforts although we had managed to come to that conclusion! It truly is a 'different' exhibit!!

Hope the show went well for Polly and you, and that it was well supported.

Spent quite a bit of time on PhilJ W's classical music thread as recommended by Ian (Oldddudders) - if you haven't yet found it can be picked up from the wheel tappers section of the forum. Well worth a visit for anyone with even the slightest interest in music!

I've just been informed that we are caring for Freddie the great grandson from 9am till school time at 12.45pm - he is so bright that I guess there will be a couple of fairly tired oldies here by nightfall!

Good luck to those going to work tomorrow - hope you are fit to travel Duncan, someone needs to keep the railways in order! Seriously, hope the lurgy that has afflicted lots of you has improved,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night anyone else still awake!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1