The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
grandadbob, on 20 Feb 2015 - 13:39, said:

too much to do here today for Abbie's celebration later.

I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us all.

Smiffy's offer is top-drawer.

Hope Andy B's daughter is home safe and soonest.

I'm still musing over Jock's digs in Rye Harbour. A house-boat?

Afraid not Ian,

A bedroom in a little two-bed roomed semi, owned by a couple who took in two lodgers (the other being a rather comely blonde - but that's another story!!) to make ends meet. They both slept in the front downstairs room with their two small children! From memory, he operated the dredger in the middle of a nearby gravel pit. 'Rye Harbour' was a hamlet that sprung up around the fishing industry, which over the centuries had moved further seawards from the town of Rye itself as a result of silting of the river Rother.

Kind regards,,

Jock.

• Like 5

Take care GB, and tell those with you to keep an eye out, just in case you need more help. (The sight of the head wound triggers my Mother's voice (pre-NHS training as a state registered nurse) always dead straight and matter of fact in these circumstances: "Stop complaining, it's just a scratch. Now you'll take care and never do that again.". As kids we would every now and again debate just how bad it had to be before there was any sympathy or concern. She was and is the kindest and tenderest person by nature, but the 'correct demeanour' for dealing with 'the patient' had clearly been very thoroughly drilled in.)

I am having fun with rotting stone. Apparently some low grade sandstone is like that, rainwater can slowly leach out the natural cementation, until it's basically nothing more than sand - once again. And here's a  wall you can push your finger through...

... I've recently started to watch a DVD set presented by a gentleman by the name of Clive Groome, an old-school enginman.

Likely to be good value if his sometime appearances on the box that I recall are anything to go by.

• Like 11

Smuggling was apparently big business in Rye. This Rudyard Kipling verse adorns a wall at 'The Mermaid' and recalls such times

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_smuggler.htm

Sorry to read of the injury.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for all your concern and particularly to Dick for his kind offer. My daughter arrived a little while ago and thanks to Richard mentioning butterfly plasters has just gone to chemists to pick up some Steri strips in case it starts again..........but so far so good. I do have a mild headache though. :whistle:

Probably should have gone to hospital but too much to do here today for Abbie's celebration later.

I do sympathise. I think I may have knocked any sharp edges off cupboards and shelves over the years we have lived here. It was much worse at our previous house. That was perfect for those of less than average height. Though even Aditi has had head wounds but usually by being hit by whatever she has flicked off a high shelf with a spatula.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Very true Andy ....................

attachicon.gifIMG_1894-1.jpg

GB.  Dealt with a few of those when I was working Bob, but usually inflicted by others rather than self..  the downside is that the scalp bleeds more profusely than most other body parts.  The Upside is that it heals quicker and stitches can come out in 7 days rather than the usual 10.  At least you won't have the problem that I had when I has stitches in my scalp.  I wasn't allowed to wash my hair for a week and it drove me mad.   Hope you get sorted..

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Having played rugby as a forward for twenty odd years I am rather accustomed to blows ( and cuts) to the head although it did bleed rather badly. It hasn't apparently done me either any major harm or knocked any more sense into me (wouldn't have been hoovering if it had done the latter!)

The various "nurses" now around (wife, daughter, granddaughters and next door neighbour and her daughters) have all instructed me to sit still for the rest of the afternoon and take it easy.

Oh all right then- I can do that. :yes:

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Jock, my old builders merchant firm extracted the sand & shingle from Rye Harbour starting in 1937 to supply all their depots in Sussex. I've got 4 great photos of the harbour and shore workings there but a bit hesitant about posting because of copywright issues. The chap you knew must have worked for them as well.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just about caught up now, having been lurking in between other domestic tasks and also trying to get a head start on working out the last stage of my pension figures - looks as if the providers are taking it to the wire as regards to April 2015 changes as a call today has elicited a promise of some figures in early to mid March. 

Bob - have been reading about your injury in instalments also re Andy's daughter having to visit hospital - speedy recoveries to both...

Jock - Mad McCann is probably going to be an infrequent poster, and is known to other ERs from other activities - so perhaps one of these worthies can offer a bit more info - I doubt that he's taken any offence to anything on here, though.

DInner duty is calling, and 30747 is due back from her painting group soon, so I'd best get on.

Edit - Oh yes, and wecome back to the fold Geoff - I'd noticed that you'd not been around, and also that your gatepost is still at an angle...

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

We are used to getting photos of wounds sent to us by Matthew with requests for advice about whether he should go to A&E. I think a combination of dyspraxia and being left handed has resulted in meal preparation being an extreme activity for him.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

We are used to getting photos of wounds sent to us by Matthew with requests for advice about whether he should go to A&E. I think a combination of dyspraxia and being left handed has resulted in meal preparation being an extreme activity for him.

Tony

Whats wrong with people being left handed????

post-1557-0-39406400-1424444609_thumb.jpg

my altercation with a scalpel on Wednesday night :O

1216 025, on 20 Feb 2015 - 15:24, said:

As in, drilling into their hands rather than corks?

usually grinding the cork to dust while trying to turn it the wrong way and forever increasing pressure until they push the cork into the bottle.

1216 025, on 20 Feb 2015 - 15:56, said:

Ah... Did anyone burst a bottle yet?

So far no. Luckily most wines these days are screw cap. Even some of the more expensive ones. I prefer to stick with fermented grains instead of fruit and rarely touch the stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Both my father and myself were/are left handed but whereas I managed to become somewhat ambidextrous my father couldn't and had to buy left handed scissors and other such things. Left handed scissors are quite good for cutting the nails on your right hand.

It can cause me some confusion though as the natural way to twist depends on which hand I use. We use quite a lot of wire twists to seal bags of things Marion gives them a right hand twist whereas I naturally use a left hand twist.

Don

Crikey I thought it was cold at -19C(dunno what windchill it was) BUT I was directing traffic in it for 2.5 hours......

Pete, frankly, even though we were colder, I was only out for minutes moving the BINs, even clothed appropriately I don't envy your 2.5 hour stint, you're to be commended mate! :good:

GB - given your pate resembles mine (I DID have hair once, but my kids don't believe me!!!) and I've done similar damage rather more often than I care to admit, be sure to watch for infections - I'm sure it was well cleaned by the "attending staff" but better be safe than sorry. Take the well earned rest, especially if "they" are recommending it, you can't pass those opportunities up :)

Up quite early but posting late - went to pick up Jemma from the airport as she didn't want to leave her car there last night.

She was on a "Continuous Duty Overnight - CDO" flight that is probably a scary thing to comprehend for the average person!

Explanation - Entails taking the last flight out to "somewhere", getting a minimum of 6 hours "rest" and bringing the first flight back! She went to Kansas City at 8:45PM and returned with the 6:45AM departure this morning - the flight crew have to show about 1-1.5 hours before departure. Some folks would panic at the thought, but the theory is that it's no different than a 10-12 hours night shift, except they get to rest/sleep for about 4-5 hours in the middle of it... oh well, other than the CDO flights she just loves the job :locomotive:

So "here I are"... POETS day, and will have to POE for sure today as we have friends over tonight for dinner and I've been charged with many "tasks" before they all show up at 6PM!!

Incoming parcels;

1) Long awaited Bachmann wagon wheels (they were on back-order for a couple of months) now arrived so can get some Mainline wagons into good running order

2) Printer cartridges, so Mrs is happy as I can continue to print the "Family letter" that was on hold due to a shortage in the ink department - had I been informed we were producing said letter with some warning I'd have had planned to have cartridges ordered and ready rather than running out of ink and being asked "how come we've run out of ink"!! :O  :O

Let's enjoy the day and be careful out there, we're all in this together!!! :friends:

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Even Aditi is home early today. The timetable has had to be revised. One subject decided that they really needed a major revision of their programme. In addition someone senior didn't like abbreviations like L5S2 on the timetable for level5 semester2 appearing in case it confused the students, even though this isn't a timetable the students will use, they get an individual version sent to their own online study area.

So I suspect another quiet weekend while Aditi moves things in boxes on her PC.

Edited by Tony_S

One subject decided that they really needed a major revision of their programme. In addition someone senior didn't like abbreviations like L5S1 on the timetable for level5 semester2 appearing in case it confused the students,

Not surprised that would confuse students.  A 1 instead of a 2