The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Today was a POETG day.

Been on a "functional skills" (English and Maths) course as part of my CPD training. It finished earlier than planned and I'm off to Glasgow Ex tomorrow.

For those still waiting enjoy POETS day tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned the guy came this afternoon to install the loft ladder. He was using power tools which entailed him unplugging one of my appliances to use the socket. The item which he unplugged was a strip of LED's that I use to illuminate my computer desk, however when he'd finished he did not plug them back in again. I went to switch the LED's on just now and instead of not working at all they gave off a faint glow, despite the plug being completely out of the socket, strange! :scratchhead:

Edited by PhilJ W

The T70 is far and away my favourite sportscar. I think the visual design is perfect.

Do you remember the road going version that appeared at the racing car show one year. I spent a lot of time (unsuccessfully) working out a foolproof way to rob a bank without being caught! 

Having said that, we used to do a lot of work for Barclay's Bank. I discovered, when remeasuring some plastering in the basement in one branch, that it was the area holding depot for used notes waiting to go to be destroyed. That was very tempting, but I resisted the temptation to organise a heist!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

POETF day for me :sungum:

Mrs H continuing to improve, she had a chat with the surgeon today as he answered his secretary's phone!  All going to plan.

A decent day at work with progress on many projects, all I need now is a decent night's sleep and I'll be a happy bunny.  Some hope - 4 years since I had such a thing. :O

As for R.A.T.S., well you aren't allowed to say that word here on FR, it is considered incredibly bad luck.  Long Tails, funny fellers, ringies, but not r&^s!

After the bright start to today, everything went downhill.

It rained, the job overran and to cap it all got stuck in some of the worst traffic I've seen for ages and got home late.

On the bright side it's all back to normal tomorrow. Early start and pray that the trains behave.

Evenin' all,

Just back from a smashing 3 day trip to Rye, East Sussex staying in the recently refurbished old windmill by the station. Walks on the 1066 route from Winchelsea; trip on the Bluebell railway; several pints of Harveys in 'The Mermaid'....the infamous smugglers inn; visit to Canterbury this morning....lovely sunshine

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 18

Evening all,

Busy day with great grandson Freddie, and now very tired but happy. I suspect that Freddie and Archie the Westie are sleeping soundly by now, soon to be followed by me when the nightcap is finished!

Ian (OD), a couple of super shots there - I take it that most people noticed that the shape of the earlier Lola bears quite a resemblance to the sweeping curves of the D-type Jaguar, before all the wings and trim tabs etc. were introduced! Thanks once again for taking us back to a truly exciting motor racing era!

Dave (TG), sounds like you had a great break - didn't you get a chance to visit the Kent & East Sussex Railway, just up the road from Rye? I spent one of my six months in industry (part of my uni. course) in Rye with Weslakes, the engine development company. At that time we were working on Dan Gurney's Eagle Weslake F1 engine, as well as a highly tuned big Chevy engine for John Surtees' Can-Am car! Loved the Mermaid then, and when we visited recently, it seems not to have changed much since. Sad to admit that I used to read the 'Dr Syn' stories by 'Russell Thorndyke', based on smuggling in the area - probably be very dated now. Will there be any pictures forthcoming?

Hope POETS day, now nearly upon us, brings some relief to those who are suffering, and trouble free travel for those who have to commute!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night late lookers!

• Like 14

.....we only had a weekday break Jock....the K&ESR wasn't running but we'll be going back for another attempt later in the year. The Bodiam end of the line near the superb castle looked very attractive as we passed by, over the crossing.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

.....we only had a weekday break Jock....the K&ESR wasn't running but we'll be going back for another attempt later in the year. The Bodiam end of the line near the superb castle looked very attractive as we passed by, over the crossing.

Dave

The castle is well worth a visit next time you are there.

Another "freeze your arse off" -23 and sunny (surely a contradiction!!) with -28 wind-chill as I dragged the BINs out this morning.

Crikey I thought it was cold at -19C(dunno what windchill it was) BUT I was directing traffic in it for 2.5 hours......

I guess anything is survivable if you dress adequately - I had a full set of thermals, 2 pairs of socks, dunno what my “cargo” type pants are made of but I filled the pockets for extra insulation, 3 long sleeve T-shirts under a heavy fleece top with a thick winter police type Hi Viz Winter coat, a pair of silk gloves under extra large wind and waterproof mittens plus a CTR balaclava covering my entire face and head with pilot type mirror shades on top (natch -good when you lean into cars ala “Psycho” cop)!

The only things that got cold were my thumbs - probably for obvious reason that the thumb part is separate, nearly forgot two Hot Hands warmers in each mitten!

It’s no wonder I fill the dirty linen basket every day....

G’night, Jock and everyone else still conscious...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Awake early due to a number of things. Her indoors has made a mug of tea so will drink that then try for more sleep.

England cricket cr&p..buff said!

Have a great POETS day everyone!

Baz